gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 01:38:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Dennis ever criticize Brian openly?  (Read 5913 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 05:06:24 AM »

And either way, I am not trying to claim that I'm some sort of BB-quote-computer, either. AGD I am not, nor do I want to be.

Well, gee and thanks. It's always nice to know precisely what others think of you, and your contributions, especially in public.

Well I like you and your book Mr. Doe  Grin

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 03:01:15 PM »

Is the merit of someone's opinion based on whether he's a pansy or wuss? Just wondering.

...only when it comes to you, mr. vandross

LOL Good one!

I agree about Flowers. I admittedly like one or two of the Killers' songs, but really overall they are nothing but poseurs.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »

Is the merit of someone's opinion based on whether he's a pansy or wuss? Just wondering.
...only when it comes to you, mr. vandross

Tremendously witty.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 03:20:02 PM »

And either way, I am not trying to claim that I'm some sort of BB-quote-computer, either. AGD I am not, nor do I want to be.

Well, gee and thanks. It's always nice to know precisely what others think of you, and your contributions, especially in public.

I didn't say anything negative about you, Andrew. I said that I don't have or desire you encyclopedic knowledge of the Beach Boys. I'm pretty happy knowing what would be to an average person a lot, but to a super-fan not necessarily so much. I respect your knowledge.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 03:32:46 PM »

I only have it on an old betamax tape, so I can't cue it up for review, but as I recall it Dennis was interviewed while under sail in the "It's OK" NBC TV special and said of Brian "He's CRAZY!"

Take that as criticism or kudo as you will.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2007, 10:42:20 PM »

I only have it on an old betamax tape, so I can't cue it up for review, but as I recall it Dennis was interviewed while under sail in the "It's OK" NBC TV special and said of Brian "He's CRAZY!"

Well, it takes one to know one  Cheesy

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
MBE
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 01:16:26 PM »

Dennis didn't like 15 Big Ones and he and Carl both said it was a mistake for Brian to be in sole charge. Both said they felt ignored as artists but (and they emphisised this strongly) they supported their brother. I think the Crawdaddy articles is where you can find their complaints. They weren't mean about it, just honest. Dennis 1976 interview where he says no one had a problem with Brian's 66-67 work is great. I am not dumb enough to think Mike never made waves, but I think Brian's own doubts were much stronger then any voiced by the others. Remember he made fun of the Heroes and Villians lyrics right along with Mike on the Lei'd rehearsal. Again and I have said this before Brian's word was law and it is only in the 80s when Landy took over that the Beach Boys didn't go out of their way to make room for his contributions. In fact I think the release of Surf's Up in 1971 was the first time they really went against his wishes.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 06:06:17 PM »

Man, everyone seems so uptight lately...Just remember, you're fine.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »

Alan has complained about Brian's underproduction of Cottonfields (which he recut because he didn't like Brian's version - which incidentally Brian later complained about), Breakaway, and even Heroes and Villains.  Mike of course has  complained profusely about Brian - his not touring but getting income from the tours, his drug use, his songs being melancholy and downers (he was the one who objected to Till I Die, big surprise), his music being too far out for the public.

Dennis few public comments on Smile were very positive, but they were early on in the Smile sessions (fall of 66) and we are left to wonder what he thoughts were in April and May 67.  Carl apparently did not feel Smile was the right direction, whether because he felt it was uncommercial or because he could see Brian was struggling without much result to finish it, and Dennis may have followed Carl's lead.  A theory has been promulgated (not by me) that a Beach Boys board meeting was held in late December/early January about the sessions and a group vote was held to can the album.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx