gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:13:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Dennis ever criticize Brian openly?  (Read 5871 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:06:15 AM »

It occurred to me earlier today as I was thinking about the changes in the Beach Boys' songs--including Brian's--toward a more retro, nostalgia feel in the mid-to-late 70s and into the 80s--that I don't recall ever reading anything in which Dennis was critical of Brian. All of his comments that I've ever read were glowing: the famous "we're his messengers," and "Smile will make Pet Sounds stink," etc.

Considering Dennis' then-very contemporary sounding music in the 70s and Brian's reversion either to what was very anachronistic (Sweet Sunday, It's OK, Wontcha Come Out Tonight and so on) or bizarre (most of Love You), is there evidence of him more than disliking the general direction of the band, but more specifically disliking Brian's work?

Just curious. It's one thing to be a supportive brother, but quite another to follow blindly down a path you disagree with.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:57:25 AM »

The closest would be during the 15 Big Ones disappointment...Carl made some comments about how Brian shouldn't have been allowed to produce that LP by himself, or something along those lines. And Dennis was quoted basically agreeing with Carl that the LP should not have been released as it was. But he never specifically called Brian out on that. Dennis did make a passing comment in the press about Brian not being physically attractive in his 1976 form, something like he's not good looking but neither was Nat King Cole...typically dumb surfer stuff.

But your point that Dennis was solidly supportive of Brian through all phases is correct. He by far made the biggest effort (from '66 to '83) to praise Brian in public and credit him solely for the BB's success...sometimes to the chagrin of his cousin Mike.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 11:43:51 AM »

Certainly correct John. And I think alot of Dennis' strong outward praising of Brian was intentionally to aggravate Mike. And it did.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »

I find it interesting that not only did Dennis support Brian wholeheartedly, he also seemingly tried to deflect flack away from those in the band who did...acting surprised when Pete Fornatale suggested the band were uptight with "Pet Sounds" and "SMiLE", saying things like "I don't know who the problem would have been with, because not one person in the band comes close to Brian's creativity", and "it wasn't our Dad, because we fired him", and "we were singing and we were crying, we were so happy" (paraphrases)....rather than just avoiding the question or saying something like "Well, it wasn't me, and it wasn't my brother Carl...". 

Unless Mike's recent claims are RIGHT, and he never DID have a problem with "Pet Sounds" or "SMiLE", only with the DRUGS and some of the people who used them.....and he actually LOVED the music!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »

When SMiLE came out, Brian kept saying that "Mike and Dennis didn't like it," and as it turns out, Dennis loved it! Was Brian just mixed up??
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 01:53:56 PM »

Unless Mike's recent claims are RIGHT, and he never DID have a problem with "Pet Sounds"

I've been looking at a few interviews from as far back as the early seventies, and to be fair on Mike, he claimed even then to really like Pet Sounds. I can see ANYONE getting irritated with SMiLE if Brian isn't finishing the wonderful songs, but spending session upon session making you grunt like a swine, and taking a year with no end in sight when you used to produce three albums in that time, and all the time your competition is getting a lead on you...

Asher also said in the big Nick Kent interview, IIRC] Alan would pull him aside and say how much he liked what they were doing with Pet Sounds, so I wonder who actually disliked it.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 02:32:01 PM »

When SMiLE came out, Brian kept saying that "Mike and Dennis didn't like it," and as it turns out, Dennis loved it! Was Brian just mixed up??

Yea that was pretty strange, especially since in several interviews during the making of Smile Dennis was praising it all over the place.  I know Brian doesn't remember every little thing anymore, but you would think that his memory regarding how his brother felt about the album would be somewhat accurate.  Obviously Mike's dislike was no big shock, but I really find it hard to believe that Dennis didn't like it, given what he was saying at the time. 
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »

Ya we have certainly heard MANY conflicting reports about band member reactions. I saw another where Brian said, Dennis and Alan were the only ones supporting him, Mike and Carl didn't think it was commerical or whatever enough. Part of it is memories fading, people being asked at different times, maybe certain songs. For instance, maybe Alan liked one song and Carl didn't or something, doesn't mean their opinions were the same of the whole album!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 04:38:02 PM »

Did Dennis ever criticize Brian openly?

Other than Mike Love, has ANYONE ever criticized Brian openly?

Edit: I just thought of one - Tony Asher - with the "genius musician, amateur human being" quote...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 04:49:48 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »

Edit: I just thought of one - Tony Asher - with the "genius musician, amateur human being" quote...

Brandon Flowers pretty much said.

'I would never do drugs, take Brian Wilson for example, so what if he created Good Vibrations, the guy talks to himself'.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 05:10:06 PM »

Seems to me there have been plenty of criticisms over the years from Mike, Bruce, Al and non-Beach Boys, yes. Which is why I wondered about the most historically pro-Brian line, Dennis.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 05:14:12 PM »

Seems to me there have been plenty of criticisms over the years from Mike, Bruce, Al and non-Beach Boys, yes. Which is why I wondered about the most historically pro-Brian line, Dennis.

Bruce, Al, and non-Beach Boys? Refresh my memory...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 05:23:04 PM »

Nothing in terms of "Brian is a shithead," but Al saying Brian underproduced a song ("Breakaway"), or Bruce saying Brian hadn't really had a great song since Till I die.  Those are criticisms.

Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 05:29:10 PM »

I haven't seen the EH film for years but I think there is an excerpt from a TV interview that Dennis gave, circa 77 in which he mentions that it would be great if Brian got 'off his butt' and wrote more songs instead if lying around all day.
(I'm paraphrasing from my fading memory here). He was generally very supportive of Brian throughout the interview mind you.

It's a pretty gentle dig I guess but it may have been an indication of the frustration that Dennis was feeling, both with Brian and the rest of the BB's at the time.

Smiley

I guess I've got a way with girls
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 05:31:51 PM »

Nothing in terms of "Brian is a merdahead," but Al saying Brian underproduced a song ("Breakaway"), or Bruce saying Brian hadn't really had a great song since Till I die.  Those are criticisms.

How about Carl saying in Crawdaddy that Brian should not have been allowed to produce the 15 Big Ones LP by himself...he wasn't ready for it. He said that as it was coming out. Now THAT'S a criticism if I've ever heard one.

Al has also said he thinks Brian wrecked his voice on purpose...that's a pretty good one.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 05:39:56 PM »

Bruce saying Brian hadn't really had a great song since Till I die.  Those are criticisms.

This is Bruce's quote:

"And yet, the last great Brian Wilson song was on that album (Surf's Up). Til I Die, I remember Brian playing it for the band and one member of the band didn't understand it and put it down, and Brian just decided not to show it to us for a few months. He just put it away, I mean, he was absolutely crushed. This other person didn't like it, but Brian cut it anyway. I think that song was pretty meaningful in expressing where he was at that point in time. I think it's his heaviest song, even though I'm probably wrong". 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 05:42:33 PM »

That entire quote certainly isn't on EH, which is the source I had in mind. And either way, I am not trying to claim that I'm some sort of BB-quote-computer, either. AGD I am not, nor do I want to be. All I was trying to get at was a general point (gods forbid): that while the others seem to have taken their jabs here and there, it didn't seem Dennis ever publicly did. My question was, did he?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 05:45:54 PM by Luther » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 05:48:17 PM »

No offense intended, Luther. I wasn't trying to show you up or anything, just trying to respond to your thread, make a little conversation. I had some time, dug out the quote. But, if you're going to overreact that way, with profanity and taking jabs at people, you don't deserve a response. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 05:53:48 PM »

[never mind.]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 06:14:37 PM by Luther » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 06:01:46 PM »

[never mind.]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 06:14:18 PM by Luther » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 06:29:22 PM »

Um...to answer your question Luther...no, I don't think Dennis ever did publicly criticize Brian.
If he did, it was constructive criticism (like, "Gee I wish Brian would get off his fat butt and make some great music again, 'cause he is the Beach Boys and we're just his messengers!").

Smiley

Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 07:32:30 PM »

Brandon Flowers pretty much said.

'I would never do drugs, take Brian Wilson for example, so what if he created Good Vibrations, the guy talks to himself'.

Wat??? screw Wayland flowers that f'n pansy!!!!
His band the killers (ooohhoooo, im so scared and intimidated)!!!!
They suck duran duran barberella evil doll ass!!!!!!! he's such a wuss and a half.

And i live in Vegas...nobody likes them here...Somebody tell them!!! im ashamed they're from Nevada!!ha ha

i feel better.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 07:47:15 PM »

Is the merit of someone's opinion based on whether he's a pansy or wuss? Just wondering.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »

And either way, I am not trying to claim that I'm some sort of BB-quote-computer, either. AGD I am not, nor do I want to be.

Well, gee and thanks. It's always nice to know precisely what others think of you, and your contributions, especially in public.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 11:46:42 PM »

Is the merit of someone's opinion based on whether he's a pansy or wuss? Just wondering.
...only when it comes to you, mr. vandross
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx