gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:19:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE
5 - 126 (76.4%)
4 - 20 (12.1%)
3 - 7 (4.2%)
2 - 7 (4.2%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
0 - 4 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE  (Read 120691 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2013, 05:13:26 PM »

I agree. A friend of mind loves this record and has never heard The Boys' own version of it.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2013, 07:23:03 AM »

He wrote me back and said it was ok to share the rest and that when he gets a free moment he will update his Ultimate Smile mix with the Barnyard and IIGS added.

If you would like to hear his 2007 mix pm me. Or if you'd all rather ill just upload the whole thing to YouTube.

Sorry Pix -- I was away for a few days and didn't see your messages. Thanks for all the work. Looking forward to it.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »

I am trying to figure out the best way to share the mix. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2013, 08:34:54 AM »

I am trying to figure out the best way to share the mix. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I like google drive for sharing things with friends. You upload your file and can send a link to whoever wants to download it.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2013, 08:36:01 AM »

Mediafire?

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2013, 08:45:38 AM »

I like google drive for sharing things with friends. You upload your file and can send a link to whoever wants to download it.

I like that option... No chances of yuck getting into the file. I'll upload it tonight when I get home.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »

Here is the link. This is the first time I have ever shared via google drive, so let me know if anyone has any problems. Also I set it so you shouldn't need a google account to download it (I think).

Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully bruiteur finishes off his Barnyard/IIGS mix soon too.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7tEPeBP14xwMHI3SnJrUTFKdzA&usp=sharing
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2013, 07:20:29 AM »

Here is the link. This is the first time I have ever shared via google drive, so let me know if anyone has any problems. Also I set it so you shouldn't need a google account to download it (I think).

Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully bruiteur finishes off his Barnyard/IIGS mix soon too.

Thanks so much, Pix! I will give it a go when I get home tonight.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2013, 07:37:47 AM »

Thanks a-million!!! Listened to a few songs already - Still can't get over how amazing Surf's Up sounds. And Wonderful is absolutely heavenly.

So glad this mix was made!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2013, 07:56:52 AM »

Very nice of you to take the time to share. Downloading now.
Thanks

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2014, 04:16:03 AM »

BWPS has a warm, autumnal feel to it that the sessions lack. I prefer Mike's words to "GV" but that's a minor point. Anyway, that was a stand-alone song----here it's part of an indivisible whole. Must keep an eye out for the vinyl version. 5/5.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Grayhands
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2014, 09:54:44 PM »

I agree. A friend of mind loves this record and has never heard The Boys' own version of it.

Exactly the same thing happened to me, my friend lent me BWPS and I had never listened to any Beach Boy music before. Once I listened to BWPS all the way through one night I was completely blown away. It was like nothing I had ever heard before, a whimsical, enchanting and mysterious musical journey. After only listening to BWPS for months on end I went over to Pet Sounds, then to the Sounds of Summer compilation, and finally to the SMiLE Sessions on itunes (just picked it on Vinyl as well  Cheesy)

And the bruiteur mix is stunning, as if Wonderful and Surfs Up couldn't get any better   Smiley
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »

It's an absolutely beautiful thing that Brian was able to face his demons and revisit his best material like this. Really, what is there to say about this that hasn't been said already? If this had never happened, TSS never wouldve happened, far fewer people would know of or have access to SMiLE, and it'd be much harder and less fulfilling for us fanmixers. That alone makes me eternally grateful for this artistic endeavor even if Im personally not the biggest fan of the 2004 sequence of SMiLE songs. While I strongly disagree with the assertion that this is *the* finished SMiLE, and I resent the fact that TSS and most fanmixers use its track order, taken by itself this is still a beautiful album. I gave it 4/5 only because, as good as it is I can't help but feel sad listening to it knowing how much better it wouldve been in 1967. Good as they are, '04 Brian and his backing band are no match for a '67 Brian and the Beach Boys.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2014, 12:37:59 AM »

The album ain't Smile, but to me the sequence most certainly is. I'm a bit of a newbie and I was first exposed to Smile (knowing absolutely nothing about it beforehand) through the 3971 edit - a superb stereo fanmix a friend had made that seamlessly merges the 60s material with the '04 - and this was before I'd listened to Pet Sounds or heard any Beach Boys beyond the classic surf stuff and GV. It absolutely blew my mind, so naturally the sequencing stuck.
I miss the days when I knew nothing about this wonderful album - kinda wish I'd just left it there. I've read the story so many times and heard so many different mixes now that Smile has sort of lost its mystique... Cry

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2014, 09:19:42 AM »

The album ain't Smile, but to me the sequence most certainly is. I'm a bit of a newbie and I was first exposed to Smile (knowing absolutely nothing about it beforehand) through the 3971 edit - a superb stereo fanmix a friend had made that seamlessly merges the 60s material with the '04 - and this was before I'd listened to Pet Sounds or heard any Beach Boys beyond the classic surf stuff and GV. It absolutely blew my mind, so naturally the sequencing stuck.
I miss the days when I knew nothing about this wonderful album - kinda wish I'd just left it there. I've read the story so many times and heard so many different mixes now that Smile has sort of lost its mystique... Cry
I count myself lucky in that respect, having never heard any edit of the 1966/67 tracks----many of the originals of course, but unsequenced. So hearing BWPS for the first time was a major revelation. The originals have their own charm but for me they're marked by the bad vibes surrounding their creation. BWPS is warm, whereas they are not.        
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:20:34 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 21, 2014, 12:57:19 AM »

The whole mystification of Smile never fails to amuse me. It's laughable how people treat it like a 2nd coming of Jesus. There is absolutely no mystique surrounding it to grieve over.

The mystery behind both the music and the story of Smile are part of what make it so great. I try not to listen to Smile music too often because I never want to ever think "I'm sick of hearing this." I want to think "There is nothing else like this."

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »

Respectfully, I completely, 100% disagree with everything you just said.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2014, 04:20:07 AM »

Respectfully, that's a shame but doesn't surprise me at all. Tongue
I always enjoy hearing different mixes and seeing people be creative with the tracklist; I really like how you've been going all-out and truly screwing with the formula with your edits. But just sayin' - because of the way I was exposed to it (completely out of the blue with no prior knowledge) there's not really anything that can beat that experience. Hell, I once tried doing my own unconventionally sequenced mix; it was horrid.
How did you first come across Smile?

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2014, 02:44:07 PM »

I always enjoy hearing different mixes and seeing people be creative with the tracklist; I really like how you've been going all-out and truly screwing with the formula with your edits. But just sayin' - because of the way I was exposed to it (completely out of the blue with no prior knowledge) there's not really anything that can beat that experience. Hell, I once tried doing my own unconventionally sequenced mix; it was horrid.

I grew up with all the old Beach Boys hits. As I got older, I stopped liking them as much, but I heard of this great all-important album they had done called Pet Sounds. I loved it, it helped calm me down when I was upset and inspired me when I was happy. When I heard there was supposed to be this follow-up album called "smile" that was never finished a year or so later, I was intrigued. I heard Smiley was a not-quite-as-good version of the original album so I checked it out. I absolutely hated it (tho I've come to love it years later.) Then I found a few fanmixes on YouTube and downloaded them to my iPod. My absolute favorite track was CIFOTM. I heard BWPS and loved it (tho less and less over time I'm sad to admit.) As I researched more about the sessions, got the boxset, and made some fanmixes of my own my love and fascination with it has grown exponentially.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »

I grew up with all the old Beach Boys hits. As I got older, I stopped liking them as much, but I heard of this great all-important album they had done called Pet Sounds. I loved it, it helped calm me down when I was upset and inspired me when I was happy. When I heard there was supposed to be this follow-up album called "smile" that was never finished a year or so later, I was intrigued. I heard Smiley was a not-quite-as-good version of the original album so I checked it out. I absolutely hated it (tho I've come to love it years later.) Then I found a few fanmixes on YouTube and downloaded them to my iPod. My absolute favorite track was CIFOTM. I heard BWPS and loved it (tho less and less over time I'm sad to admit.) As I researched more about the sessions, got the boxset, and made some fanmixes of my own my love and fascination with it has grown exponentially.
Great stuff! It really is an 'infinite' album - much as I'm personally comfortable with the BWPS sequencing there's no way in hell I can call it the definitive. I would've liked to see the box set take a few more liberties with the tracklist tbh.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2014, 10:04:40 PM »

Great stuff! It really is an 'infinite' album - much as I'm personally comfortable with the BWPS sequencing there's no way in hell I can call it the definitive. I would've liked to see the box set take a few more liberties with the tracklist tbh.

Glad we can agree on that last point. BWPS is great for what it is, but to go back and restructure the original recordings to fit that mold was a very bad decision, imho. It now makes a 2003 concert setlist the essentially definitive as far as the public is concerned which I really don't believe is right. If they just fleshed out each track properly, using as many vintage ideas as possible and following the original back cover order, they wouldve had a much better album and closer to what was probably intended. I don't consider that sequence 100% historical of course, but it wouldve been reasonable, given TSS its own identity and been a far better presentation of the music.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 27, 2014, 07:53:14 AM »

Glad we can agree on that last point. BWPS is great for what it is, but to go back and restructure the original recordings to fit that mold was a very bad decision, imho. It now makes a 2003 concert setlist the essentially definitive as far as the public is concerned which I really don't believe is right. If they just fleshed out each track properly, using as many vintage ideas as possible and following the original back cover order, they wouldve had a much better album and closer to what was probably intended. I don't consider that sequence 100% historical of course, but it wouldve been reasonable, given TSS its own identity and been a far better presentation of the music.
Again, it comes down to how Brian wants it presented. This is what he is happy with and is the official set of songs & sequence that he is happy with. For him it is complete. Like Alan & Mark said when the TSS was released, you have one disc that is Brian's version and the remaining discs to "Roll Your Own".

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 27, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »

Again, it comes down to how Brian wants it presented. This is what he is happy with and is the official set of songs & sequence that he is happy with. For him it is complete. Like Alan & Mark said when the TSS was released, you have one disc that is Brian's version and the remaining discs to "Roll Your Own".

Agreed.

Beneath the painting of the Mona Lisa lie different strokes than what we see on the finished piece - Van Gogh struggled with this painting for over 12 years. During this time, I'm sure he added colors, changed colors, made the woman frown, smile, etc. I'm sure there are layers of paint from early versions hidden underneath the final version. I'm sure his ideas changed throughout the years. I'm sure the painting was shelved for periods of time. I'm sure he forgot about certain things he wanted to add to the painting in those 12 years. Point is, the final version he presented is the definitive version.

Brian is the visionary, creator of the Smile material. The artist himself released Smile to the world in 2004. Who are we to say it isn't "definitive"?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: June 27, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »

Agreed.

Beneath the painting of the Mona Lisa lie different strokes than what we see on the finished piece - Van Gogh struggled with this painting for over 12 years. During this time, I'm sure he added colors, changed colors, made the woman frown, smile, etc. I'm sure there are layers of paint from early versions hidden underneath the final version. I'm sure his ideas changed throughout the years. I'm sure the painting was shelved for periods of time. I'm sure he forgot about certain things he wanted to add to the painting in those 12 years. Point is, the final version he presented is the definitive version.

Brian is the visionary, creator of the Smile material. The artist himself released Smile to the world in 2004. Who are we to say it isn't "definitive"?

Not to be that guy, but Da Vinci painted that, not Van Gogh. You guys do make fair points tho. I think there are valid reasons to call BWPS definitive and valid reasons to question it. I choose to do the latter, I've stated my reasons for it in other threads, but I won't go in-depth and post them again here only because I don't feel like repeating myself and I don't think this is the proper place to do it.

In any case, I had a lot of fun "rolling my own" I love the boxset, and I can appreciate that Mark and Alan put a lot of work into it. But even disregarding the sequence, I thought the final "mixes" they went with for certain songs were pretty strange. Why the "woo-woos" in Worms? In BWPS they transitioned to the next song. In TSS it's an unnecessary addition we already heard from H&V. Why disregard Brian's test edit for Child to make a far inferior version? Why the distracting fly-ins on Look, Holidays and Dada? Maybe instead of a reconstruction, just another disc of sessions wouldve been better? There *was* a good chunk of material they left out, after all...

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 27, 2014, 12:02:37 PM »

Agreed.

Not to be that guy, but Da Vinci painted that, not Van Gogh. You guys do make fair points tho. I think there are valid reasons to call BWPS definitive and valid reasons to question it. I choose to do the latter, I've stated my reasons for it in other threads, but I won't go in-depth and post them again here only because I don't feel like repeating myself and I don't think this is the proper place to do it.

In any case, I had a lot of fun "rolling my own" I love the boxset, and I can appreciate that Mark and Alan put a lot of work into it. But even disregarding the sequence, I thought the final "mixes" they went with for certain songs were pretty strange. Why the "woo-woos" in Worms? In BWPS they transitioned to the next song. In TSS it's an unnecessary addition we already heard from H&V. Why disregard Brian's test edit for Child to make a far inferior version? Why the distracting fly-ins on Look, Holidays and Dada? Maybe instead of a reconstruction, just another disc of sessions wouldve been better? There *was* a good chunk of material they left out, after all...

Thanks for the correction, definite brain fart Smokin

As for your thoughts on the definitive nature of BWPS, I respect your opinion on it. I think we all have points that can be taken into consideration.

As for TSS - My only true complaint about the box is the hour and 20 minutes of GV sessions....especially when the CIFOTM acetate edit got left off. I don't care much for the fly-ins, but I don't really listen to the first disc that much anyway.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx