gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:03:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE
5 - 126 (76.4%)
4 - 20 (12.1%)
3 - 7 (4.2%)
2 - 7 (4.2%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
0 - 4 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE  (Read 123069 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »

I realize I'm probably going to get kicked off the board for this, but I think the time has come to fess up.... I can't stand this album. I hate everything about it. It is contrived and phony and sounds like the soundtrack to a second rate broadway musical. I bought it when I came out, but was immediately disappointed. It just never felt right. What was cool and edgy for a 25 year old back in the 60s felt, again, contrived and phony for a 60 year old in 2004. I was also pissed at all the adulation that Brian was getting when 90% of the music had ALREADY BEEN RELEASED by the Beach Boys and sounded ten times better by the Beach Boys. The real kicker was the obnoxious jettisoning of Mike Love's GV lyrics for the discarded Tony Asher lyrics. To me it was a spit in the face.

This is a 1 star album for me. I hate that it exists.

I would have to agree with this, but ultimately I'm glad it exists. At least it gave a running order that allowed the original sessions to be released.

I think I would like BWPS if it showed obvious signs of Brian's creativity in 2004. It would have been nice, for example, if he arranged the second section of Surf's Up. As it is, it's an exact replica of the Surf's Up album track, albeit with worse vocals.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:08:45 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2013, 03:55:56 AM »

I realize I'm probably going to get kicked off the board for this, but I think the time has come to fess up.... I can't stand this album. I hate everything about it. It is contrived and phony and sounds like the soundtrack to a second rate broadway musical. I bought it when I came out, but was immediately disappointed. It just never felt right. What was cool and edgy for a 25 year old back in the 60s felt, again, contrived and phony for a 60 year old in 2004. I was also pissed at all the adulation that Brian was getting when 90% of the music had ALREADY BEEN RELEASED by the Beach Boys and sounded ten times better by the Beach Boys. The real kicker was the obnoxious jettisoning of Mike Love's GV lyrics for the discarded Tony Asher lyrics. To me it was a spit in the face.

I would have to agree with this, but ultimately I'm glad it exists. At least it gave a running order that allowed the original sessions to be released.

I think I would like BWPS if it showed obvious signs of Brian's creativity in 2004. It would have been nice, for example, if he arranged the second section of Surf's Up. As it is, it's an exact replica of the Surf's Up album track, albeit with worse vocals.

My understanding was that the second section was never recorded or went missing. So, the fact that you have a recorded string arrangement on BWPS says to me that he completed what was not done back in 1966-67.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »

Th

My understanding was that the second section was never recorded or went missing. So, the fact that you have a recorded string arrangement on BWPS says to me that he completed what was not done back in 1966-67.

Well... it really still is a re-recording of the piano demo second section, plus strings which he probably did not arrange himself... The second section of Surf's Up is just begging for more instrumentation. Too bad we'll never hear it.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »

Th

Well... it really still is a re-recording of the piano demo second section, plus strings which he probably did not arrange himself... The second section of Surf's Up is just begging for more instrumentation. Too bad we'll never hear it.
What do you suppose he was going to do different? I have never read anything other than not recording the second part, with strings. This he did on BWPS.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2013, 03:19:33 AM »

Sometimes you're simply overwhelmed by the music I was by this, I cried. Why it all means so much I don't know but I really feel sorry for the people who don't have the ability to hear this in all its wonder.

I play this more than the Beach Boys version.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2013, 07:37:08 AM »

I will never understand the criticism for this album.  To me, it is perfect in every way, as great a recording of music can possibly be.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »

I will never understand the criticism for this album.  To me, it is perfect in every way, as great a recording of music can possibly be.
Biggest issue is, is that is not the Beach Boys singing. Brian's band performed it better Live, imho. Those shows were spectacular!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »

I have a mix that a member here made using the BWPS backing tracks and a few vocals where they were missing and flies in vintage 66-67/71 vocals. It is a superb.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2013, 09:55:25 AM »

Ooh. Sounds good. What mix?

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »

Here is his mix of Surf's Up. Gives you an idea of what the rest of the album sounds like.

http://youtu.be/XVENkH7s1eQ
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:18:08 AM by pixletwin » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2013, 06:42:55 AM »

I have a mix that a member here made using the BWPS backing tracks and a few vocals where they were missing and flies in vintage 66-67/71 vocals. It is a superb.

Does anyone know where one could download this version? That Surf's Up mix is beautiful.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »

Does anyone know where one could download this version? That Surf's Up mix is beautiful.

I don't think he shared it with many people.He posted Surf's Up a few years ago but no one really paid much attention to it and he was weary of sharing more for fear that he would get in trouble so he shared it with me via email.... I pm'd him a few weeks ago to see if it was ok for me to share more but he hasn't responded ( I don't think he has logged on here since April and he rarely posts).

I made that YouTube video to encourage him to let me share the rest.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:52:06 AM by pixletwin » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »

I don't think he shared it with many people.He posted Surf's Up a few years ago but no one really paid much attention to it and he was weary of sharing more for fear that he would get in trouble so he shared it with me via email.... I pm'd him a few weeks ago to see if it was ok for me to share more but he hasn't responded ( I don't think he has logged on here since April and he rarely posts).

Thanks for making that video - that's the best version of Surf's Up I've heard - made me extremely curious of what the rest of the mix sounds like. I hope he responds to you!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2013, 09:26:33 AM »

If you put the letters "ss" before the youtube.com part of the address (like this: ssyoutube.com/watch?v=XVENkH7s1eQ) you are taken to a site where you can download the video.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Jason
« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2013, 09:31:42 AM »

You are my favorite poster right now. This is the greatest review of this album I've ever read. K-TEL repackaging of the Smile music...that's what it sounds like.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »

Not sure if you noticed but there has been a thread devoted to locating his mix of Barnyard and I'm in Great Shape which were highly praised at the time. All links to those versions, though, have gone dead. If you do get ahold of him, it would be well appreciated to let him know that several of us would love for him to re-up his mix.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »

Not sure if you noticed but there has been a thread devoted to locating his mix of Barnyard and I'm in Great Shape which were highly praised at the time. All links to those versions, though, have gone dead. If you do get ahold of him, it would be well appreciated to let him know that several of us would love for him to re-up his mix.

How intriguing. The version I have uses the plain ol' BWPS vocals on those particular tracks. Could you post a link to that thread for me? I'll surely PM him. I need to find his email.

Edit: I found his email and just sent him an inquiry.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:31:46 AM by pixletwin » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:50:19 PM by zatch » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »

Me too! Tongue

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2013, 09:21:01 PM »

He wrote me back and said it was ok to share the rest and that when he gets a free moment he will update his Ultimate Smile mix with the Barnyard and IIGS added.

If you would like to hear his 2007 mix pm me. Or if you'd all rather ill just upload the whole thing to YouTube.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »

While I really like this record, there is something unsettling about it...it feels like it was produced in a very short amount of time. I can see why so many people just didn't get it when it came out.

Also, Darian's "doo doo" part on Heroes and Villains just bothers me. It's very prominent in the mix and I just can't listen to that song without only hearing him.

4 stars, though I'll listen to The Smile Sessions or a bootleg mix over this 9 times out of 10

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2013, 04:05:28 AM »

Also, Darian's "doo doo" part on Heroes and Villains just bothers me. It's very prominent in the mix and I just can't listen to that song without only hearing him.

I agree completely.  It totally ruins what had been a tour-de-fource a cappella harmonization in The Beach Boys' version.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2013, 06:03:28 AM »

I 'accepted' BWPS as its own thing (as opposed to the definitive version or conclusion to the SMiLE story*) a long time ago and to this day enjoy the album very much. The vinyl blasted over a good system + speakers is among the best-sounding BBs-related records ever released.

I Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE.

* There ain't such a thing, anyway. Never will be.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2013, 06:46:21 AM »

Having a completely finished spiritual suite, a fully completed 'On A Holiday'/'In Blue Hawaii', and a theme that sets it apart from any other record - it's a real gift to any lover of music.

I hate that it's so looked down upon. I understand why it is looked down upon, and don't blame people for disliking the MIDI harpsichord, the lack of Beach Boy vocals, etc. But this album is friggin' brilliant: the chords, the harmonies, the lyrics, the story it tells. It's a shame it will probably never be treated like the masterpiece* that it is (or could have been).

*Well, I guess it is treated like the Holy Grail of 60s music, so in that it is treated like a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:48:54 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »

It's only looked down upon by super fans on this board in retrospect. When it came out, it was pretty much universally acclaimed.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx