gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681360 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 04, 2024, 08:58:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overrated artists/albums  (Read 57303 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »

Well, it's the public who did it really. Just as Apple has been graciously handed the cultural cache for an entire generation: so had The Beatles.  Apple products are wonderful but there are greatly suffering competitors who's products exceed Apple's in terms of functionality/usability but it doesn't matter because Apple has the narrative. Narratives are very hard to topple as we all know being Beach Boys fans. The Beatles are awesome, but compared to The Who, The Kinks, The Stones, The Beach Boys, they are a neat and tidy story and though they shaped the culture, they were successful in such because they pushed boundaries....... nicely. Not like the confrontational Who or the slithering sleazy Stones, or the fey, oh-so-English Kinks, or the frighteningly emotionally available Beach Boys.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2012, 05:21:47 AM »

Wait...Eric Clapton hates black people?

Read the history section. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Against_Racism

I would say that his intentions are pretty clear, Aum Bop, but I've got into this argument before on the board and some people just don't want to believe that shouting 'Keep Britain White' repeatedly onstage is a clear-cut sign (in 70's Birmingham, no less) that you're a racist bastard. I can't believe it's been swept under the rug and people kiss his arse all the time.

And I hate his playing. I would say he's a fantastically unemotional blues player, although obviously talented. But I'm not so much a fan of 60's british blues in the first place for that reason - it's all firepower, not so much emotional or nuanced. They're all trying way too hard. Blues is a state of mind, not your new shiny Vox amp.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:25:25 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »

I would say that his intentions are pretty clear, Aum Bop, but I've got into this argument before on the board and some people just don't want to believe that shouting 'Keep Britain White' repeatedly onstage is a clear-cut sign (in 70's Birmingham, no less) that you're a racist bastard. I can't believe it's been swept under the rug and people kiss his arse all the time.

And I hate his playing. I would say he's a fantastically unemotional blues player, although obviously talented. But I'm not so much a fan of 60's british blues in the first place for that reason - it's all firepower, not so much emotional or nuanced. They're all trying way too hard. Blues is a state of mind, not your new shiny Vox amp.

From what  I could read the rant was when he was very messed up and he claimed it was intended as a joke -- I agree it shouldn't be swept under the rug but it was 36 years ago and he has been clean for a long while.  On the other hand he seems to have some pretty odd conservative views.  There may be a parallel to Mel Gibson who under he influence lets out the devil bigot.

As far as his talents I have no problem agreeing to disagree.  My favorite Clapton work falls in the time period he was inspired by Delaney and Bonnie and the Band, particularly as I mentioned the Layla album, where there is great fire and emotion to go with the licks.  And I like some of his work in Cream and the earlier "comeback" LPs.  I pretty much agree on British (purist) blues -- sorta like eating chop suey as Chinese food.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »

The Beatles without a doubt. Not even in my top ten.

They must be overrated then.

I'm a fan of much of their stuff, but for the life of me I fail to see just what it is they were doing that was apparently so superior to everything else from that era.

Creating culture, changing history, changing the very medium in which they worked. They did that far better than anybody else, which is precisely why whether or not they made the best music, they were uncontroversially the most important band from that time, making the most important music. This is why they, like Shakespeare, like Mozart, like Picasso, cannot under any circumstance be legitimately or seriously labelled overrated. Should everyone like them? No. Does everyone like them? No. Overrated? No.

The media latched onto them and their public relations team rode it for all it was worth. They were lucky enough to break through mere months before The Kinks and The Stones, if either of those had scored a hit first history may well have told a different story.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2012, 05:45:57 AM »

The media latched onto them and their public relations team rode it for all it was worth. They were lucky enough to break through mere months before The Kinks and The Stones, if either of those had scored a hit first history may well have told a different story.

Ask any member of either band if they think they would have scored even a minor hit without The Beatles leading the way.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2012, 07:01:54 AM »

I think the Beatles are great, in my top ten,  but I don't put them above the Beach Boys, the Stones or the Who except for their charisma.  I think Springsteen, Neil Young, the Dead, Janis Joplin, Abba, REM, U2, are all way overated. I don't hate any of them (well maybe Abba) but I just don't get what's so special. Sorry if I knocked a fave of anybodys.

I'll give you U2 but come on man!
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »

ABBA

No.

Wink
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »

The media latched onto them

Because they were an unparalleled sensation

They were lucky enough to break through mere months before The Kinks and The Stones, if either of those had scored a hit first history may well have told a different story.

Mere months? By the time You Really Got Me entered the charts, The Beatles were working on Beatles For Sale. By the time the Stones released their first Jagger/Richards single, The Beatles had put out five #1 Lennon/McCartney singles in the UK. While these bands had been around for a while, it took them a long time to catch up to what The Beatles were doing - that is, releasing self-penned mega-hit music. From the beginning, The Beatles had been operating on a whole other level and, yes, as the above poster makes clear, paved the way for a lot of bands to follow in their wake, playing the game whose rules The Beatles had written.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:11 PM »

Holy sh*t....did not know that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »

I love the Kinks and Rolling Stones as obviously the Beach Boys.  I would be happy to attest to their greatness and in fact would say I prefer these bands to the Beatles (esp. the BBs!).  But to bash the Beatles with either faint praise or a minimization of their talents -- well strikes me as likely bitter, stupid, or insane!  Whether you like their music or not (and most of us do), having lived through that era I can tell you that you cannot overrate the Beatles impact and contribution to music and our culture.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »

And I won't comment on Bob Dylan & others mentioned because it will take long sentences of why I named them.

Yes, that would be good not to comment on that. For sure.
saying Bob Dylan is overrated is insane.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2012, 12:28:37 PM »

I love the Kinks and Rolling Stones as obviously the Beach Boys.  I would be happy to attest to their greatness and in fact would say I prefer these bands to the Beatles (esp. the BBs!).  But to bash the Beatles with either faint praise or a minimization of their talents -- well strikes me as likely bitter, stupid, or insane!  Whether you like their music or not (and most of us do), having lived through that era I can tell you that you cannot overrate the Beatles impact and contribution to music and our culture.

The thing is it's not 1964 anymore and what it must have been like to have lived through Beatlemainia has little relevance on my music tastes in 2012. Did they break down walls culturally and musically? - yes of course they did. But my point is The Beatles were lucky to get there first, it could have easily been The Stones or The Kinks or any of the other groups that sprung up around the same time. All these new British bands were making exciting new Rock'n' Roll, The Beatles just happened to get their foot in the door first.
To say a band as great as The Kinks would never have made it if The Beatles hadn't have been a hit is insulting.
I've been a fan of The Beatles from about the age of 12 and like them as much now as I did back then - I've just found lots more groups that I like more.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »

And I won't comment on Bob Dylan & others mentioned because it will take long sentences of why I named them.

Yes, that would be good not to comment on that. For sure.
saying Bob Dylan is overrated is insane.

Everything Bob did from FREEWHEELIN' through GREATEST HITS VOL 2 is pretty great, save SELF PORTRAIT. After that his catalog gets very dicey. For every BLOOD ON THE TRACKS or TIME OUT OF MIND you've got a DOWN IN THE GROOVE or an UNDER THE RED SKY. Have you listened to his Christmas album lately? Probably not, since it's July, but egad.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »

Some guy named Bruce Springsteen...he's pretty over-rated...

I agree Bob Dylan is tad bit over-rated (not saying he's not talented) he's a great wordsmith/lyricist but musically he doesn't do it for me..

U2 is another band that has mass appeal that I quite don't get..Does it make them over-rated? hmm no but I wonder what it is about them that's so attractive?

Queen is another one..Freddie's voice is unbelievable but their music is..pretty bad..just because he has a powerful/awesome voice doesn't mean you can excuse crappy songs..

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:58:37 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »

The Boss.... um, no.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »

The Boss.... um, no.
he really is..he's the most over-rated artist to come out imo..
this song says it all...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZD4ezDbbu4
 LOL
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2012, 07:14:29 AM »

The Boss.... um, no.
blah blah blah

blah blah blah

Well, I'm convinced.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 29, 2012, 07:20:06 AM »

I agree Bob Dylan is tad bit over-rated (not saying he's not talented) he's a great wordsmith/lyricist but musically he doesn't do it for me..
Queen is another one..Freddie's voice is unbelievable but their music is..pretty bad..just because he has a powerful/awesome voice doesn't mean you can excuse crappy songs..

Oh my god. You must have the worst taste of anyone I have ever come across.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2012, 08:09:50 AM »

worst taste? I love my taste in music Smiley..
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »

In fairness Queen did make some God awlful music as the 80's progressed and I say this as a huge fan of them.

MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »

I wouldn't say that bands you like are bad at all. You just seem to dislike some very obviously great musicians. "Some guy named Bruce Springsteen".. not sure if you're being facetious, but i kind of agree with you. I've never heard anyone say they thought he was overrated, let alone bad. (not that i think he's bad, but i do think he's overrated)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2012, 01:56:49 PM »

Ask any member of either band if they think they would have scored even a minor hit without The Beatles leading the way.

Agreed, even our own Brian says that Pet Sounds was a Beatle follow-up

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »

I wouldn't say that bands you like are bad at all. You just seem to dislike some very obviously great musicians. "Some guy named Bruce Springsteen".. not sure if you're being facetious, but i kind of agree with you. I've never heard anyone say they thought he was overrated, let alone bad. (not that i think he's bad, but i do think he's overrated)
I never said he's horrible..but he gets more credit than he deserves....What has he contributed to Rock & Roll?  I'm seriously asking you...I checked out only one album by him..it's called Born to Run..i thought it was pretty decent and I heard that was his magnum opus...I hear he's great and blah blah..but there are no songs to prove how magnificent he is...at least none that I've heard yet.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2012, 02:19:44 PM »

I never said he's horrible..but he gets more credit than he deserves....What has he contributed to Rock & Roll?  I'm seriously asking you...I checked out only one album by him..it's called Born to Run..i thought it was pretty decent and I heard that was his magnum opus...I hear he's great and blah blah..but there are no songs to prove how magnificent he is...at least none that I've heard yet.

Depends how much you value Americana, but he's adding significantly to that musical conversation and belongs to a lineage that includes people like Mississippi John Hurt, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Phil Spector, etc.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »

I agree with the bolded part. But you have to give his catalog a deeper listen before you write him off like that.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx