gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681002 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 06:11:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What releases would you like to see in the future?  (Read 12276 times)
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2006, 10:04:49 AM »

Live stuff from the 70s, particularly songs that have no officially-released live versions.

It doesn't need to be a release of full concert sets--- they could leave out the clinkers and the 500th live version of Baba Ann live----but should include seldom heard  yet enjoyable things.

I haven't heard the SOT Party outtakes- is there much unissued releasable material there?
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 12:21:27 AM »

1. SMiLE Sessions box set

2. POB/Bamboo tracks CD twofer (plus bonus tracks)

3. Rarities from '67-'72 (WH leftovers, Landlocked stuff, We Go Love studio version, etc.)

4. More live stuff. Different eras; we got live albums for '64 (Concert, the classic/popular era), '68 (Live in London, the quiet, musically vibrant era), '73 (In Concert, the hippie era), and '80 (Knebworth, the oldies era). A 2-disc live CD compiled from many different years would be interesting ('66 triumphant tours of the UK, '68-'69 Europe stuff, '71 triumphant Big Sur, etc...)

5. something somebody mentioned in the Country Air thread: Brother reissues of Smiley Smile through Holland or so on single CD with another CD devoted to demos, alternates, etc, akin to the latter-day Fleetwood Mac reissues recently. Also, since so many are screaming for it ('cept me, I love it the way it is), the Wild Honey reissue to have a stereo remix following the mono program, like the many PS reissues.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2006, 04:12:46 AM »

That's the way to do it!

From BigO:

"WOO WHO
The Who's entire 2006 American Tour will be available for sale through TheMusic.com in a number of editions - 2CD standard gatefold sleeve; collector's edition and deluxe-edition. According to TheMusic.com the shows "will be shot with a four camera crew and we expect to have both a surround and stereo mix on each disc". So you can buy either the audio CDs or the DVDs of the shows. These shows will be professionally engineered by The Who's own people and pressed as silver-discs and not quickie CD-Rs or DVD-Rs. All profits, we presume after costs, will go to charities. Just read the instructions about the PAL/NTSC formats before you order. Better still go and buy yourself a universal DVD player that can play ALL formats."

“We live in divisive times.”
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 06:09:02 AM »

What happened to the official "Surf's up"-DVD-Ausdio release btw? Had it something to do ith BWPS?

It was in the planning stages to follow the "Pet Sounds" DVD-A release, but when the format didn't catch the public's attention the project was dropped. It was supposed to include the unreleased Dennis song "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" as a bonus track which is quite a loss. I don't think the non-appearance had anything to do with the release of BWPS (different labels, etc.).
rggkjg1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2006, 06:20:15 PM »

are we supposed to get some "unreleased"/"rare" recordings when http://www.beachboyscentral.com/ opens up? if it even does.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2006, 10:45:25 PM »

I'd like to hear really weird unreleased stuff... for instance, I was reading today about their trip to Holland and everything that went on with that... Brian for instance missed (purposely) his flight 3 times, they recorded in an old barn, etc.

There has GOT to be hours of extra tapes from those sessions.  I'd love to hear some stuff like that.  As complex as a song like California Saga is, there's got to be tons of snippets and different versions and incomplete vocals and things like that floating around. 

My favorite CD release of theirs along this vane is the hawthorne, ca set, because of all the weird stuff like the acapella mix of "can't wait too long" and the vegetables promo stuff, etc.

The stranger, the better, if you ask me!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2006, 10:50:29 PM »

Oh, and BTW, on the blueboard last week the admin said that a smile box set will likely never happen, even though the boss around there i've heard never says never.  The Admin said that capitol records told him they're not even considering doing it anymore. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2006, 12:17:41 AM »

I'd like to hear really weird unreleased stuff... for instance, I was reading today about their trip to Holland and everything that went on with that... Brian for instance missed (purposely) his flight 3 times, they recorded in an old barn, etc.

There has GOT to be hours of extra tapes from those sessions.  I'd love to hear some stuff like that.  As complex as a song like California Saga is, there's got to be tons of snippets and different versions and incomplete vocals and things like that floating around. 

My favorite CD release of theirs along this vane is the hawthorne, ca set, because of all the weird stuff like the acapella mix of "can't wait too long" and the vegetables promo stuff, etc.

The stranger, the better, if you ask me!

According to those who would know, not that much recording was done in Holland - mostly basic stuff that was finished off in California. That's one of the gray areas in the band's history.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2006, 12:19:36 AM »

Oh, and BTW, on the blueboard last week the admin said that a smile box set will likely never happen, even though the boss around there i've heard never says never.  The Admin said that capitol records told him they're not even considering doing it anymore. 

"Brian, why did you finally decide to give a Smile Sessions box the green light ?"

"Well, my wife and managers thought it would be a good idea".

GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2006, 05:11:23 AM »

"Brian, why did you finally decide to give a Smile Sessions box the green light ?"

"Well, my wife and managers thought it would be a good idea".
Zing!

Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2006, 02:24:39 PM »

As many times as "Smile is coming out soon" was heard in the 70s, this seeming definitive denial could just be the advanced warning to start saving your pennies for the impending release.

Topsy-turvy has been all to common in BB-land.
It has just usually worked in the opposite direction.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2006, 07:46:21 PM »

...I've read this thread with interest, and want to weigh in with my opinion.
    I believe the only release that would excite the buying public right now would be a "Smile" Beach boy release of some kind, either a box set, or a pro mix similar to the Brian Wilson finished project...outside of that , I think, with the right publicity and accurate PR, the Hawaii takes would be a nice release, billing it as "what the BB's would've sounded like if they'd played Monterray in 67" or something along those lines.  It would have to be positioned as a classic piece of 'lost history" to even begin to sell the units that they would want in this attention deficit music market......PMcC

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2006, 11:20:50 PM »

...I've read this thread with interest, and want to weigh in with my opinion.
    I believe the only release that would excite the buying public right now would be a "Smile" Beach boy release of some kind, either a box set, or a pro mix similar to the Brian Wilson finished project...

Exactly - it's all there is left to be exploited, I mean exhumed. Nothing else even comes close. And this, of  course, is why it will happen, once Brian's, ah, 'people', realise this.

Touring - check...
Pet Sounds live - check...
Smile live - check...
studio version of same - check...
[suitable period of time elapses]
The Smile Sessions 1966-67 - check...

... outside of that , I think, with the right publicity and accurate PR, the Hawaii takes would be a nice release, billing it as "what the BB's would've sounded like if they'd played Monterray in 67" or something along those lines.  It would have to be positioned as a classic piece of 'lost history" to even begin to sell the units that they would want in this attention deficit music market......PMcC

Hmmmmmm... I've heard many terms applied to these tapes, and "classic" isn't one of them. As for "this is what they would have sounded like...", I'm guessing the reaction, if any, would be, "man, people were right - they would'vd sucked"

PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2006, 12:55:04 AM »

...so I'm guessing you don't think much of the Hawaii tapes and/or the Heider sessions?

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2006, 01:21:30 AM »

As many times as "Smile is coming out soon" was heard in the 70s, this seeming definitive denial could just be the advanced warning to start saving your pennies for the impending release.

Topsy-turvy has been all to common in BB-land.
It has just usually worked in the opposite direction.

I hope you're right but the psessimist in me is thinking if Capitol are denying it then surely it's not on the cards for a 40th anniversary release, or any time in the forseeable future.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2006, 04:58:00 AM »

No, the pessimist in you would say that it will happen as soon as Brian's people make him do it.  You're just being realistic.  Others are showing fine examples of pessimism; read the other posts in this thread, for instance!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2006, 12:16:11 PM »

AGD - Besides the Smiles sessions, what, in your opinion, are the best unreleased tracks still in the vaults?  Are there enough songs to make up ONE strong release?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2006, 03:02:31 PM »

"(Wouldn't It be Nice To) Live Again"
"I've Got A Friend" (even though it's only the track, still cracking)
"You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"
"Viggie" (well I like it !)
"Good Time" (original mix)
"Sherry, She Needs Me" (with or without the 1976 BW vocal)
"My Solution" (1970 version)
"Why Don't You Tell Me"
"It's Not Too Late"
"Gimme Some Lovin'/Baby I Need Your Lovin'"
"Carry Me Home"
"Michael Row The Boat Ashore"
"Goin' To The Beach"
"School Girl"
"(I Found Myself in A) Wild Situation"
"You're Still A Mystery"
"Water Builds Up"
"Ecology" (any/all of it)
"One Kiss Led To Another"
"I'm Going Your Way"

There y'go - 20 tracks off the top of my head that aren't from Smile.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2006, 03:14:52 PM »

Great list!!!!!  Though I have boots of most of those, I would rush out and buy that album!

Mahalo AGD!!!!!!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2006, 09:00:55 PM »

I have heard that there is a best of Dennis Wilson out there somewhere, but I haven't found it. I would love to have that.

Speaking of box sets, I would love to have them for all the albums from Smile to Holland. Of course that probably wouldn't make much financial sense for them to do that.

I know Brian isn't going on the road again, but I would have loved to see him do 'MV&F' live!! And 'LoveYou'!!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2006, 08:32:24 AM »

Just some comments to add....

1) Yes, the Lei'd In Hawaii concert sucked. The sound quality isn't bad at all -- it's the PERFORMANCES. I think both concerts have been circulating for years now, and I did get to hear 'em once or twice a long time ago...seriously, the performances are extremely sub-par. You know why "Heroes And Villains" was the only thing released from that show? Because it's, by far, the best performance from that show. Everything else is extremely slow and draggy, very NOT together. The music is very quiet -- as if someone told them to not wake the baby in the next room.  "Gettin' Hungry" just falls apart. Various Beach Boys drop in and out at random times on their instruments. And Al Jardine (some say it's Brian, but it sounds a LOT more like Al to my ears) actually yells on microphone to a couple of screaming fans, during "God Only Knows," "He's singing! Cool it!" (Or was it "Cool it! He's singing!") I don't remember much else about what I heard, mainly because it was...well....not memorable. I was really disappointed.

2) Someone asked about the Party! sessions. Well, judging by the Good Vibrations box and SOT's Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 10, there are actually enough extra tunes to make, say, Recorded "Live" at a...Beach Boys' Party! Vol. 2:

One Kiss Led To Another
Riot In Cell Block #9
Ticket To Ride (but with not much in terms of vocals)
California Girls (an excellent performance -- probably left off because they already had two versions of "Help Me Rhonda" and didn't want to have two versions of yet another recent song)
Little Deuce Coupe (done "straight")
"Hully Gully" with the "Peanut Butter" parody lyrics
Laugh At Me
Blowin' In The Wind
Ruby Baby
Long Tall Sally (short but fun)
Heart And Soul (again, short but fun -- not Jan And Dean style, but the old piano lesson style)
Satisfaction

3) I don't think both of Carl's albums would legitimately fit on one CD. I think there was a pirate out about ten years ago with both albums on the same CD, but they probably faded a song or two early.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:38:23 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2006, 09:47:57 AM »

Another two-discer, some of it's a bit lousy songwise, but it'd be nice to have it in good quality:

1:

Back Home [1963] / Side Two / What'd I Say? [live] / Girls on the Beach [session excerpt, Mike's "joke" vocal] into / Girls on the Beach [vocals only] / Honda 55 / Don't Back Down [live] / Karen / She Knows Me Too Well [first version] / Please Let Me Wonder [Mike vocal] / Kiss Me Baby [track only] / Help Me, Rhonda [session excerpt] into / Help Me, Rhonda [live 1966] / Girl Don't Tell Me [alternate version] / Sandy / Papa-oom-mow-mow [live 1965] / Fun, Fun, Fun [live 1965] / Sherry She Needs Me / I Should Have Known Better [slower version] / The Times They Are A-Changin' [no overdubs] / Riot In Cell Block #9 /  California Girls [Party!] / Blowin' In The Wind / Smokey Joe's Cafe / Satisfaction / You're So Good To Me [live 1966] / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away [live 1966] / God Only Knows [live 1966] / Barbara-Ann [live] / Cabinessence [vocals only] / Child Is Father Of The Man

2:

Water chant / Mrs. O'Leary's Cow / Look / Little Red Book / The Letter / Game Of Love / I Was Made To Love Her [with tag] / With A Little Help From My Friends [pitch corrected] / Mona Kanau [sp?] / All I Want To Do [live] / Slip On Through [session excerpt / alternate take] / I'm Going Your Way / Rock And Roll Woman [live] / Over The Waves / Walkin' / Back Home [1970] / Awake [demo] / Your Song [live] / Lady / Sound of Free / Til I Die [demo] / My Solution / Wouldn't It Be Nice? [live 1970] / Seasons In The Sun / Telephone Backgrounds on a Clear Day / Okie From Muskogee [live] / Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again? / I've Got A Friend [live]

That would cover the first decade nicely for me.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2006, 09:51:46 AM »

"3) I don't think both of Carl's albums would legitimately fit on one CD. I think there was a pirate out about ten years ago with both albums on the same CD, but they probably faded a song or two early."

They will, but it wouldn't be top of my list for re-releases.

A double CD of Party tracks without all the messing around on would be pretty good. Actually, they would probably fit on a single!

I like AGD's choices, but wasn't Water Builds Up officially released?  I always thought the chorus was weak.  Now Black Widow, a clean version of the Paley versions of Soul Searchin' and GIOMH....  Smiley

It wouldn't be top of my priorities, but I wouldn't mind a cleaned up copy of First Love - it's light years better than the released album.

Obviously I'd like the tracks often cobbled together on Bamboo compilations and I'd love a re-release of POB, though I count myself lucky to have it on vinyl and CD already.

But as I said earlier - or somewhere else -  my priority would be a double CD of cleaned up versions of stuff recorded but not released between about 68 and 73.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2006, 11:11:50 AM »

I like AGD's choices, but wasn't Water Builds Up officially released?

Only as the rewrite "Let's Go To Heaven In My Car"; the original song is superior (even in its "Sweet Insanity" incarnation).
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2006, 12:11:51 PM »

perhaps www.beachboyscentral.com that was to be up and running last 4th of July?  Undecided

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx