gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:09:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sail On Sailor box set  (Read 52617 times)
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2022, 08:34:17 AM »

I think that our culture has finally gotten away from the stranglehold the boomer generation had on the history of rock and pop. This has had some dramatic effects. Disco, which I was somehow taught to despise as a classic-rock child of the 90s, is now rightly seen as a path-breaking genre with a far more lasting impact than hard rock. And bands like the Beach Boys are finally coming out of the shadow of how they intersected with popular taste and being seen as artists defined by how they approached their music, rather than by how audiences received it.

Bingo…hindsight really is 20/20 (and So Tough, and Holland, and…). A lot of artists unfairly derided as square have found a new life with Gen Z. Growing up I was made fun of for being a Billy Joel fan, for instance. He’s another artist popular with the younger set. Those who think stuff like this due to stuff like TikTok and Stranger Things (not referring to you GF…I see this a lot and you reminded me of it!) are only partially correct… this is the first generation that has an appreciation of what came before. My generation (Gen X) wouldn’t mark out if we heard an older song on a tv show or movie! If it wasn’t new, it was lame! One of the side effects of it being easy to distribute music these days is that people are generally more educated musically on a informal basis… if someone wants to learn music theory, instead of going to college and hearing a dry course, bring on Rick Beato!  There’s a far greater appreciation of music now , regardless of what grandpa and grandma are saying on the other board.

The funny this is… those pop culture moments are a great introduction…but notice how the newer fans of things end up gravitating towards other things? Fleetwood Mac’s Dreams went viral…but two years on, “Everywhere” is getting hyped. I found out Christine McVie died when my daughter texted me…they were talking about it in her school. Kate Bush was already popular with the younger set before Stranger Things. I can usually tell now when someone from the past is about to get popular again .

As a  side note, this is why A&R reps being too much older than the artists is a horrible idea on this day, but I digress.

This also explains why a certain subset of “fans” are acting like complete douche waffles and making personal attacks on those who worked so hard to bring this to the fans 😒

This has already been voiced, as respectfully as possible, but why equate legitimate complaints (from *both* young and old fans alike) about mildly-severely suboptimal mixing/mastering on portions of these recent sets with personal attacks? Hardly any of it resorts to ad hominem.

We're all grateful, but there is distinct and very noticeable over-compression in places, distortion on certain tracks, hiss, bizarre EQ'ing choices, and so on. Makes for an uncomfortable listening experience at times. Don Goldberg's vocals were nixed when this was a chance to give his and BW's song a little justice. Less of a grave mistake, maybe, but still, definitely worth noting.

Oh, and I'm in my early 20s, myself, like many others with grievances, so I'm not exactly a "grandpa" or anything, just someone with ears who wants the absolute best for the Beach Boys' music, above all.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 09:12:12 AM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2022, 08:34:44 AM »

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2022, 09:52:24 AM »

Did anyone who purchased this set directly from the Beach Boys' store receive it yet?  And if you have, did they send you a shipping confirmation email from them prior to delivery?  I've received neither the box set nor any email informing me that it's on its way.  This is so frustrating.   Embarrassed

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2022, 10:58:55 AM »

Did anyone who purchased this set directly from the Beach Boys' store receive it yet?  And if you have, did they send you a shipping confirmation email from them prior to delivery?  I've received neither the box set nor any email informing me that it's on its way.  This is so frustrating.   Embarrassed

No, no set & no shipping confirmation for me either. All I got was the e-mail saying I’d get a shipping confirmation & that was many weeks ago.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2022, 12:22:22 PM »

Billy -- as Brian told me re: "Marcella": "One of my favorites, yeah. Carl did a great job, he was really good. 'Marcella,' y'know, I'm gonna tell ya, I was having mental difficulties during that time and I didn't even know if the guys got in the studio and recorded 'Marcella' without me on it! So, I said, 'I wanna be on it!' So I overdubbed my voice on it."

😎 Am I the only one who read that and heard it in Brian’s 1995 speaking voice? 🙂

That is so awesome…

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: December 03, 2022, 12:30:11 PM »

I think that our culture has finally gotten away from the stranglehold the boomer generation had on the history of rock and pop. This has had some dramatic effects. Disco, which I was somehow taught to despise as a classic-rock child of the 90s, is now rightly seen as a path-breaking genre with a far more lasting impact than hard rock. And bands like the Beach Boys are finally coming out of the shadow of how they intersected with popular taste and being seen as artists defined by how they approached their music, rather than by how audiences received it.

Bingo…hindsight really is 20/20 (and So Tough, and Holland, and…). A lot of artists unfairly derided as square have found a new life with Gen Z. Growing up I was made fun of for being a Billy Joel fan, for instance. He’s another artist popular with the younger set. Those who think stuff like this due to stuff like TikTok and Stranger Things (not referring to you GF…I see this a lot and you reminded me of it!) are only partially correct… this is the first generation that has an appreciation of what came before. My generation (Gen X) wouldn’t mark out if we heard an older song on a tv show or movie! If it wasn’t new, it was lame! One of the side effects of it being easy to distribute music these days is that people are generally more educated musically on a informal basis… if someone wants to learn music theory, instead of going to college and hearing a dry course, bring on Rick Beato!  There’s a far greater appreciation of music now , regardless of what grandpa and grandma are saying on the other board.

The funny this is… those pop culture moments are a great introduction…but notice how the newer fans of things end up gravitating towards other things? Fleetwood Mac’s Dreams went viral…but two years on, “Everywhere” is getting hyped. I found out Christine McVie died when my daughter texted me…they were talking about it in her school. Kate Bush was already popular with the younger set before Stranger Things. I can usually tell now when someone from the past is about to get popular again .

As a  side note, this is why A&R reps being too much older than the artists is a horrible idea on this day, but I digress.

This also explains why a certain subset of “fans” are acting like complete douche waffles and making personal attacks on those who worked so hard to bring this to the fans 😒

This has already been voiced, as respectfully as possible, but why equate legitimate complaints (from *both* young and old fans alike) about mildly-severely suboptimal mixing/mastering on portions of these recent sets with personal attacks? Hardly any of it resorts to ad hominem.

We're all grateful, but there is distinct and very noticeable over-compression in places, distortion on certain tracks, hiss, bizarre EQ'ing choices, and so on. Makes for an uncomfortable listening experience at times. Don Goldberg's vocals were nixed when this was a chance to give his and BW's song a little justice. Less of a grave mistake, maybe, but still, definitely worth noting.

Oh, and I'm in my early 20s, myself, like many others with grievances, so I'm not exactly a "grandpa" or anything, just someone with ears who wants the absolute best for the Beach Boys' music, above all.

I’m referring to a couple of specific people who have indeed made personal attacks, including someone who posts under the name “tomtomplayboy” elsewhere. Some saggy dude  used the word “scum” which would also fit the bill. That’s the stuff I’m specifically referring to. Criticism is one thing…

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2022, 12:36:26 PM »

Can we also acknowledge, thanks to the a capella Marcella, that it WAS Brian in the tag singing the high-ish “Marcella heyyyy” and NOT Jack (who did a small “Hey Marcella” in a lower voice while Brian was singing)?

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=b399XCqDbcY&feature=share

2:39 is Brian, Jack comes in at 2:42

*drops mic*

Brian's part was completely absent from the original mix though, sadly. It is Carl singing "Marcella hey" on an Eb while Jack harmonizes "hey Marcella" beneath - the console strip even marks "Carl and Jack" for that track. Brian's over on the right soon after singing a squeaky little "ooh, I need ya, deh-deh" on G and improvising other lines, and doubling his elfish "deh-deh" on another track later. Exactly the kind of thing he described to Howie where he just plugged in an extra part on his own after the others had been in. We're blessed with a lot of new Brian elf voice moments on this release.

This is one song where I think the new mixes really bring out the 'Beach Boysness' that it was missing - the pinball machine vibes in the chorus, horns, growly edge to the Moog bass, Wurli proto-Bread riff, more audible pounding piano, and having Brian's voice on the end add a ton of life to the track. Hearing all this, it sounds as if Carl consciously wanted to veer away from the eccentric ideas to more conventional rock territory in the mixdown, but the arrangement just wasn't built to support that kind of thing with enough oomf. It's better off being spooky and weird.

Hmm…that would explain why Jack said Brian sang that part… didn’t think to ask if it was an unused  overdub!

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2022, 03:41:48 PM »

They should have released the version of Make It Good without strings on Disc 1 on CATP.

I could not agree more! I have found "Make It Good" unlistenable for a long time, but dropping the strings out reveals a far more interesting and listenable song. "Cuddle Up" also benefits from having the strings dropped out, but I find them less disruptive than the strings in MIG.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2022, 04:44:59 PM »

They should have released the version of Make It Good without strings on Disc 1 on CATP.

I could not agree more! I have found "Make It Good" unlistenable for a long time, but dropping the strings out reveals a far more interesting and listenable song. "Cuddle Up" also benefits from having the strings dropped out, but I find them less disruptive than the strings in MIG.

100% agree…I always thought it was overwrought…this works.

It just dawned on me this is the very first archival compilation where there is not a single track I skip

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2022, 05:11:19 PM »

No, no set & no shipping confirmation for me either. All I got was the e-mail saying I’d get a shipping confirmation & that was many weeks ago.

Did you receive your set though or are you still waiting on it?

Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2022, 05:29:49 PM »

Still waiting
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2022, 10:59:24 PM »

A friend of mine got neither from his order from The Beach Boys' store.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2022, 11:42:59 PM »

Do these sound like they were recorded in the “wrong” speed to you? Cause to some, they are 🙄

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2022, 04:58:43 AM »

I always found make it good to be difficult to listen to too many strings too much overpowering of the vocals. I think removing the strings makes this song brilliant. The same to some degree with cuddle up. Though I never had as much trouble listening to cuddle up as I did listening to make it good.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2022, 08:05:26 AM »

Just had a listen to a couple of live tracks. Al's lead on "Don't worry Baby" is insane!  Thud

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2022, 09:13:19 AM »

Just had a listen to a couple of live tracks. Al's lead on "Don't worry Baby" is insane!  Thud
That track really blew me away when I heard it! Damn near tear inducing!!

One thing I noticed is that "Steamboat" to me sounds distorted and a bit "overloaded" in general. The actual mix of it was great. I heard details I'd never heard before. But it sounded almost too loud  or something.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2022, 10:11:32 AM »

A friend of mine got neither from his order from The Beach Boys' store.

Just got the shipping confirmation email. Shipping from Austin TX via Federal Express
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2022, 11:48:53 AM »

Still waiting

Well I just got confirmation that this damn thing has been shipped.  But seeing that it's currently in TX and I live in GA, chances are it will be a few days before I can get my hands on it.  Needless to say I won't be ordering anything directly from their official store again.  It's Amazon all the way. 

James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2022, 01:05:28 PM »

It really is one of his best ever lead vocals.  Much better than the In Concert version, which itself isn't shabby.

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2022, 01:49:47 PM »

It really is one of his best ever lead vocals.  Much better than the In Concert version, which itself isn't shabby.

I agree. This version should have been used instead.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2022, 01:58:40 PM »

I just noticed that on both Youtube and Spotify the track "Marcella" from disc 1 is "Mess of Help", and that song appears on disc 1 twice.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2022, 02:13:30 PM »

Steamboat instrumental. Tears. Tears.

Amazing right??

I always felt Steamboat was one of the strongest tracks on the album for its unique misty, moody driving beat. This instrumental just shows the richness in the details that Dennis (and I guess Carl?) put into it. Great, great track!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2022, 02:49:50 PM »

I really don't understand the point of the 2022 "Saga Trilogy". They could have put on the other Mt Vernon home demo instead. I also think it would be cool to hear some actual alternate takes of songs, instead of just a few sessions highlights.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2022, 04:27:05 PM »

Awesome
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2022, 05:13:09 PM »

I've really enjoyed this set. I am hoping that there will be a digital part 2 before the end of the year as I am sure that there is other stuff (namely the DW stuff from the Bandcamp "release" last year) that should come out from this era.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx