gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:57:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sail On Sailor box set  (Read 52222 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2022, 03:11:29 PM »

For some reason there's not a lot going on here about "Carry me home" so I would just like to express again how much I appreciate this "new" version. Much more than I ever liked listening to the bootlegged version (for obvious reasons). Listening to this release blew my mind. Blondie and Dennis sharing the lead is very effective and it shoows (as does the In Concert album) how well Blondie's voice fit in with the Beach Boys blend. Man, if only Blondie and Ricky would've stayed with the band.
Thanks Alan, Mark, Howie, Beach Boys and everyone else who made sure we can enjoy this beautiful recording.

Agree, it sounds fantastic. What a song to be left unreleased for 50 years or so. I heard the leaked Brother Rarities one but this version blows it away.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2022, 05:30:46 AM »

For some reason there's not a lot going on here about "Carry me home" so I would just like to express again how much I appreciate this "new" version. Much more than I ever liked listening to the bootlegged version (for obvious reasons). Listening to this release blew my mind. Blondie and Dennis sharing the lead is very effective and it shoows (as does the In Concert album) how well Blondie's voice fit in with the Beach Boys blend. Man, if only Blondie and Ricky would've stayed with the band.
Thanks Alan, Mark, Howie, Beach Boys and everyone else who made sure we can enjoy this beautiful recording.

Agree, it sounds fantastic. What a song to be left unreleased for 50 years or so. I heard the leaked Brother Rarities one but this version blows it away.

Yeah, this song would have fit right at home on either CatP: So Tough or Holland albums.  I get the feeling this song was never probably finished though but it still sounds fantastic.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 09:40:53 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2022, 09:55:00 PM »

Record Collector review seemingly confirms "Body Talk (Grease Job)" as a Brian tune. Also some interesting info about the "Sail On Sailor" songwriting session recording.

Here's a link for anybody interested...

https://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/album/sail-on-sailor-1972
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2022, 08:05:35 AM »

An a capella mix of All This Is That just hit Spotify here in Australia (I expect you'll have to wait until after midnight wherever you happen to be).
louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2022, 06:40:26 AM »

An a capella mix of All This Is That just hit Spotify here in Australia (I expect you'll have to wait until after midnight wherever you happen to be).

Outstanding, pure vocal perfection. Mike, Al and Carl blending their voices sounds heavenly here. Surely this box set will be mind blowing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2022, 06:41:16 AM »

There you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhokOKMfu4I

All this is that (acapella)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2022, 10:31:45 AM »

There you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhokOKMfu4I

All this is that (acapella)

Fantastic!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2022, 03:31:14 AM »

Listen To New Mix Of Beach Boys’ ‘All This Is That’ From Upcoming ‘Sail On Sailor’ Set
The new mix showcases the pristine vocals of Al Jardine, Carl Wilson, and Mike Love, and the whole group’s trademark harmonies.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/listen-to-new-mix-beach-boys-all-this-is-that/

Coinciding with the release of the track and the imminent arrival of the boxed set, a new capsule collection of Sail On Sailor-inspired merchandise is launching today, featuring t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats and more. The new apparel complements the Beach Boys’ recently-unveiled holiday merchandise line, which includes a variety of shirts and hoodies emblazoned with imagery from the band’s classic Christmas album, plus branded scarves, beanies, and ornaments. All the new offerings are available at their official store.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 04:04:49 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2022, 08:06:08 AM »

The last couple of days I pulled out my electric bass for a change (I usually play guitar) and boy, what fun it is to groove along to "You need a Mess of Help", especially the live version. For an old R'n'B fan like me this is exactly the right stuff.  Afro

- Jack Rieley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2022, 01:53:54 AM »

3 days left Banana
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2022, 10:37:39 AM »

3 days left Banana

We've got news for you, unfortunately...

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2022, 06:34:25 PM »

Says December 2 on Amazon
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2022, 05:44:29 PM »

Nice little teaser being promoted for a official short animation release tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/dLJvr7DJDCI

https://youtu.be/BMuHTrm_aKM
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2022, 09:45:37 AM »

Very nice!
There's also a snippet of unreleased audio, I believe. What track may this come from?

- Jack Rieley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2022, 10:48:39 AM »

Full video:
https://youtu.be/BMuHTrm_aKM

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2022, 05:05:32 AM »

Love it! Very cool, right down to Dennis cupping his ear and Ricky drumming on SOS! Nicely done!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2022, 09:43:21 AM »

It's a pretty charming video.  I'm getting the feeling that this forthcoming box set is going to be even better than the Feel Flows set.  As long as the overall mix isn't punishing me with too much treble then we should be good.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2022, 10:28:56 AM »

I think it’s a cute video. It captures that period very well.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2022, 10:45:39 AM »

Love it! Very cool, right down to Dennis cupping his ear and Ricky drumming on SOS! Nicely done!

And a surprise appearance by the late Jack Rieley

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2022, 08:49:55 AM »

Maybe this will get answered with the new release but do we know if Blondie & Ricky wrote "Here she comes" and "Hold on, dear brother" explicitly for a Beach Boys release or were the songs originally intended for The Flame?

- Jack Rieley
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2022, 01:06:38 PM »

This clip is fantastic. So much in so few seconds...
A small reminder of why I love the Beach Boys, not that I needed it.
Also, a reminder of how absolutely great Brian was in this period, too.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2022, 10:58:12 PM »

Uber cool vid!!

Not long to go now. I guess just over a week.

My fingers are crossed for just one more sneaky prev. unreleased promo or such between now and then.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 10:59:52 PM by thetojo » Logged
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2022, 02:36:43 AM »

Just got word from Amazon.de that the multi-CD set has been pushed back to December 9.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2022, 06:40:29 PM »

Still Dec. 2 on Amazon.ca.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2022, 01:46:57 PM »

SPOILER:

This was posted by the BBs facebook account:

There’s a recording on 'Sail On Sailor – 1972' of Brian working in the studio. As Brian workshops what would soon become the titular track, Carl enters the room. Don’t miss out on never-before-heard sounds like this one, the exclusive lithographs and more and pre-order the box set on our official store

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx