gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE was ready in 1967 - discuss  (Read 37192 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 06, 2022, 06:53:29 AM »

Well, the two tapes are literally spliced together. Bicycle Rider was cut from the complete assembly of Worms (literally cut, with a razor), and pasted after the verse of Heroes and Villains, which came on the same tape reel.

When you say complete assembly of Worms, was this edited together as a potential finished backing track, or is it just the pieces lined up on one reel?

The backing track pieces for Worms were dubbed to a second generation 4-track and edited together at the initial session. Vocals were overdubbed onto the full edited composite track, much like Good Vibrations, which isn't the approach Brian took with most of the rest of the Smile material. It was later copied to 8-track for more work, and that's the tape where Bicycle Rider has been spliced out and edited onto the Heroes verses.

A mono reel from December 27 (which is missing from the box, but what was on it survives via acetates) contained the Cabin Essence chorus, two mixes of Bicycle Rider, and the Heroes opening verses. The contents are listed as:
1 - PORTION OF CABINESSENCE (WHO RAN THE IRON HORSE)
2 - PORTION OF HEROES AND VILLAINS (BICYCLE RIDERS) ['(INDIANS)' crossed out]
3 - same as 2
4 - PORTION OF HEROES AND VILLAINS - OPENING

Intentions with the CE chorus aren't completely clear, but Vosse did make a muddled comment about Brian wanting to put Bicycle Rider and Iron Horse together at some point. Likely the next day, Brian recorded "Heroes and Villains Part 3" (on the face of it would naturally follow "Part 2", aka Bicycle Rider) which is more or less a reworking of the Iron Horse music.

Okay, follow up question (I meant to ask this at the time and never got around to it) - if I wanted to hear a reconstruction of that initial Worms track, ideally both with and without the vocals, as it stood before Brian spliced out Bicycle Rider, where would I look? Is such a thing on the Smile Sessions box?

It's on Sounds of Summer in stereo - first verse and chorus without lead vocals, second verse with backing vocals and second chorus with BR lead vocals (put on in January), the bridge with vocals.  All the individual parts without any vocals are on the Smile Sessions box but not put together if I remember correctly.
mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 06, 2022, 09:07:27 AM »

The BR lyrics were for H&V so they don't belong in Worms.  However if your own version of H&V doesn't include them then Worms is the obvious place to put them Smiley

It's on Sounds of Summer in stereo - first verse and chorus without lead vocals, second verse with backing vocals and second chorus with BR lead vocals (put on in January), the bridge with vocals.  All the individual parts without any vocals are on the Smile Sessions box but not put together if I remember correctly.
starbond
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 07, 2022, 05:34:01 AM »

Updated version. Added some lost sessions, updated the Barnyard and H&V session dates with some new information, added some Smiley Smile, updated Related events, and added Good Vibrations at the bottom to show how Brian had a burst of activity as soon as it finished  Cool

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 07, 2022, 09:09:56 AM »

The BR lyrics were for H&V so they don't belong in Worms.  However if your own version of H&V doesn't include them then Worms is the obvious place to put them Smiley

The BR lyrics weren't recorded until January but I see no indication they weren't written for Worms - all the other lyrics for Worms were written and the BR instrumental part was recorded at the same time as the rest of the song.  What do you think Brian was going to do with the BR section of Worms, leave it instrumental?  And the BR lyrics totally fit the song.
mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 07, 2022, 09:52:21 AM »

Hi - Mr Parks told me himself via email that those lyrics were written for H&V.

The BR lyrics weren't recorded until January but I see no indication they weren't written for Worms - all the other lyrics for Worms were written and the BR instrumental part was recorded at the same time as the rest of the song.  What do you think Brian was going to do with the BR section of Worms, leave it instrumental?  And the BR lyrics totally fit the song.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 09, 2022, 07:21:43 AM »

That's interesting because it fits perfectly with the Worms lyrics, but doesn't fit into the lyrical story of Heroes and Villains which is all in the first person.
mike s
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 09, 2022, 07:25:42 AM »

That's true about the first person but the themes do fit.  The BBs did put the BR lyrics into live shows in the early 70s.

That's interesting because it fits perfectly with the Worms lyrics, but doesn't fit into the lyrical story of Heroes and Villains which is all in the first person.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx