gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:57:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sounds of Summer 6LP Announced  (Read 29271 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2022, 01:46:56 AM »

Also, the idea that remixing songs is “playing God” is completely absurd as well. Brian is literally deaf in one ear and can’t properly hear in stereo. It was impossible* for Brian to even mix Pet Sounds (and other early Beach Boys records) in proper stereo himself, so it is supposedly sacrilege if professional mixers who have a HUGE love for the Beach Boys create a stereo version??

Marcella is clearly not in the same category as it wasn’t originally mixed by Brian in mono. But I guess I also don’t see the point in getting all angsty about a song you can freely hear the original of anytime anywhere. And that’s not to say people shouldn’t have opinions about it, I guess I just find some of the criticism rather offensive/outlandish given this is a sampler compilation whose hopeful target audience is young new fans (while also giving us long-time fans a new way to experience the music).

*want to clarify my meaning of “impossible” before I get raked over the coals for that. I forget if Brian mixed Friends or had a hand in it, but clearly Brian has had a hand in mixing stereo sound during his life. But he can’t actually hear the full stereo experience so hence I say it is rather impossible for him to mix a proper stereo sound.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 01:52:39 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2022, 04:54:42 AM »

These mixes are an interesting curio. But, for me, personally, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to create NEW mixes for a greatest HITS collection.
I have the same issue with album versions, like "Be True To Your School," "California Saga: California" or "Help Me, Rhonda" showing up on hits compilations. These are all essentially the same songs, but are not the hits that people know and love.
While I'm not really a fan of the new "Marcella" mix, I'm not opposed to new mixes for specially marketed rarities, etc albums. I VERY much prefer the 2012 mix of "Rock and Roll Music" or fan mixes that I've heard of "Breakaway" with Brian on lead throughout the song and a breathtaking mix of "'Till I Die." I use them in my personal playlist, but if I was introducing someone to The Beach Boys or trying to expand their horizons of them, I would definitely default to the originals.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2022, 05:49:37 AM »

24 of the 80 tracks have new mixes. From what I've heard of 'Shut Down' and 'Good Vibrations' I don't think the remixes of the early tracks are going to butcher these tracks into unrecognizable garbage. Rather those early tracks seem to be very tastefully mixed for a new generation of stereo sound (assuming that the Dolby Atmos 3D listening era has a lot to do with this new push for immersive remixing).

It was the 2009 stereo remix of 'Don't Worry Baby' on the Summer Love Songs comp that first really hooked me back into being a fan (which led to me becoming the lunatic of a fan I am today). Yes, the original mono song will always be beautiful to me (and my favorite version depending on how I'm listening to the song), but it was that great stereo mix on the SLS comp that really drew me in. So as a new fan who didn't know anything about all the different mixes of the song, I just thought that it was a great sounding track, and it started me down a wonderful path of finding new mixes, fan mixes, original mixes. I think many others will have a similar experience.

As for this being a Greatest Hits comp, I think the first disc is a Greatest Hits comp, but the rest is a sampler of many deep cuts. I mean, if this were solely a Greatest Hits package I highly doubt 'Do You Like Worms' would be on here. So honestly I think having some new mixes on this comp is the way to go given the diverse nature of the package.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2022, 06:33:48 AM »

My whole point is we like what we like. It really bothers me when people get SO UPSET and start attacking those who are working on these projects. If you don't like something, you don't like it. And its ok to say you don't like it. But as I posted on the EH board, you don't need to say I DON'T LIKE THIS AND ANYONE THAT DOES IS A MORON as some do on every board. Its this great music. Period.

Also, as I posted before....where the hell is my pudding?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2022, 06:40:53 AM »

I like the new Marcella mix a lot. I A/B'ed it with previous releases, and it felt like hearing the Pet Sounds Sessions stereo mixes again. It's a new take on songs we've heard so often through the years. That's a good thing. I still use the Pet Sounds Sessions stereo mixes as my go-to choices to hear the album for my own enjoyment, they're still that good to my ears. The new Marcella has more punch, more definition, and I like the overall sonic texture and sheen better than the original release and subsequent remasters. It's good to get a new take like this, and in this case, I think it improves on the original and is a tighter blend overall. Good stuff.

Having just started the new season of Stranger Things, I was a little surprised there wasn't more of a push behind "California Dreamin" to tie in with the show. The media was reporting how Kate Bush got a #1 download status from her song's inclusion on the show, the same episode no less, yet the BB's track barely got mentioned. I would have thought there would be a similar spike in sales/streams/interest to be reported among fans of the show seeking out the BB's track too, but I guess that didn't happen, or maybe the promotional push went behind Kate Bush on this one and she got the attention.

It's too bad there wasn't a push behind it.  I didn't start keeping track right away because I didn't think there would be a noticeable bump, but California Dreamin' has had over 4 million streams on Spotify in the past 10 days.  In another week I'll be running my yearly Spotify data on the Beach Boys and looking at last year's 2.7 million all time streams, the vast majority of its increase has come since the Stranger Things release.  It currently has 8.9 million streams.  As of now it's their second most popular song on Spotify.   

I was also a little disappointed to see the subtitles label it as by the Mamas and Papas, but that could be a legal thing.  Definitely at least a minor missed opportunity to not do more with it.   

It shows the power of song placement and how associating a long-forgotten song to a popular show or movie translates to millions in sales that otherwise wouldn't be there. Kate Bush is ecstatic over her song charting with audiences who are two generations removed from the original release of the song thanks to Stranger Things.

That's what confuses me about The Beach Boys and California Dreamin'...What happened in the cross-promotion machine? Obviously the song got a bump from being used as an opening sequence song in probably the most anticipated show premiere of the year, the numbers you listed above clearly show the results with millions of new streams and/or purchases.

Yet just a quick scan of various online articles about the show and its soundtrack shows more than a few listing the song as the Mamas & Papas version, which it clearly is not. Some even link to the Mamas & Papas version of the song, which again was clearly not in the soundtrack. So what happened, or what didn't happen in the promotions process to allow such errors to be published and shared?

It was a real coup to place a BB's recording on this show and in that prominent of a place during the show, and it seems the fans of the show are getting info that the track they heard (and therefore would buy/download/stream) is the Mamas & Papas version. And why it's being labeled as the Mamas & Papas in the first place. It doesn't make sense.

And it would have been cool to have some official tie-in through the BB's organization since they knew the track would be on the show. Maybe not inclusion on this vinyl release...but damn, how many of these new fans might pick up such a greatest hits collection for the song if the numbers are right and they're already pushing 10 million new streams of a song that had pretty much fallen into obscurity since the 80's. It's the decades-old concept of a hit single driving sales of an album, in this case it's streams and downloads instead of 45 sales and radio airplay.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2022, 06:58:44 AM »

These mixes are an interesting curio. But, for me, personally, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to create NEW mixes for a greatest HITS collection.
I have the same issue with album versions, like "Be True To Your School," "California Saga: California" or "Help Me, Rhonda" showing up on hits compilations. These are all essentially the same songs, but are not the hits that people know and love.
While I'm not really a fan of the new "Marcella" mix, I'm not opposed to new mixes for specially marketed rarities, etc albums. I VERY much prefer the 2012 mix of "Rock and Roll Music" or fan mixes that I've heard of "Breakaway" with Brian on lead throughout the song and a breathtaking mix of "'Till I Die." I use them in my personal playlist, but if I was introducing someone to The Beach Boys or trying to expand their horizons of them, I would definitely default to the originals.

I think using the album version of "Be True" or "Rhonda" is a whole other ball of wax, as those are literally different recordings/performances, and few fans or spectators would claim "Ronda" is better than "Rhonda." (I don't think anybody but hardcores would know or care which mix of "California Saga" is used; I wouldn't call that a well-known hit).

But a 2022 expanded "Sounds of Summer" isn't for hardcore fans (if completist hardcore fans also buy it get the new mixes, certainly the band and label won't complain of course), certainly not for the type of fans that already "know and love" the material to the point they notice mix differences. It's to introduce new fans, and that means mostly young people. I think some BB fans don't understand what this means. It doesn't mean doing dance remixes or making a virtual duet with BTS. It just means giving the stuff more punch and clarity.

Why do we need a new 20-year-old Beach Boys fan to hear a potentially limp vintage mix instead of a fresh, punchy new mix?

As Howie mentions in his interview, new BB fans start at all sorts of weird points in the catalog, and if they like it enough to even approach becoming a huge or "hardcore" fan, they'll go back and find all the other stuff they didn't listen to initially, whether it's albums or songs they haven't heard before, or going back to compare mono vs. stereo vs. remixes on this stuff.

If I was introducing someone to "Pet Sounds" for instance, I would *always* give them the stereo remix. Just like, if I wanted to introduce someone who knew little or nothing about the Beatles to like "Baby You're A Rich Man", I'd give them 1999 "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" remix, because it's like a thousand times more clear.

It's not like giving a new fan like Mike's "Unleash the Love" remakes or like old Adrian Baker/Mike re-recordings. It's plenty of proper historical context to just give a new fan a remix.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2022, 07:35:59 AM »

It really bothers me when people get SO UPSET and start attacking those who are working on these projects.

This:
Such petulance/negativity is a huge reason why I will never join that forum. The place is run by people who close threads when a respected insider WHO HELPS PUT THESE SETS TOGETHER reacts logically to a public lambasting of an open/honest interview. What most of us here have been saying about that place for years is on full display for everyone to witness now.

Its this great music. Period.

Exactly!

Also, as I posted before....where the hell is my pudding?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2022, 08:14:44 AM »

I believe from previous reading that Howie and others have had to really fight to get these projects over the line so personally I'm just happy that we have got to hear so much unreleased stuff particularly from Dennis with much more promised from the upcoming CATP/Holland set.

I listened to "Marcella" on Deezer and its clipping a little at the start which is odd. Doesn't happen on youtube though.

With some of the Howie argument going on I'm reminded of the Jack quote "To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public." Maybe that's somewhere in mind when working on these new sets.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2022, 09:07:56 AM »

To all aficionados who chimed in on this lovely thread -

yesterday I was still wondering if would purchase the new set. I looked at what I do have already (the GV and PS boxes, the Smile Sessions, the Feel Flows extravaganza, other compilations, vinyl material, well, a lot).

Just reading the most recent pages of this exchange of opinions abruptly ended my question to myself.

Anything that gets so much attention and deep consideration is worth the price of admission, as they say. Such well-reasoned opinions, freely available at that, can mean only one thing: I need that collection. As much as I need the other sets that are on our horizon.

Thank you, good people that you are.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2022, 11:09:34 AM »

Sorry again for interjecting into the thread, but since this stuff is going back and forth, it's time to address yet another lie being told about people here. This nonsense and the lies need to stop.

So it's been said yet again that people were banned here "for simply stating our opinions". This according to "feelsflow", whose membership is still active here and who was not banned.

I'll make this one easy: That's an outright lie. No one, and I repeat NO ONE, was banned here for "simply stating their opinions". Period. If people can't accept this, or prefer to lie and ignore the facts, we'd be happy to open the archives and go through exactly what people who were banned actually did or how they acted to trigger a ban. It's not pretty, and I'd rather not see that happen. But keep lying, Will and others, and you'll see what actually happened because it's all in the archives. The bans were for breaking board rules, most times repeatedly. And that's a fact. How those rules were broken by the banned individuals would cast them in a pretty bad light in some cases, which is why that's not something we'd want to see happen.

So here's another case where people who carry grudges cannot let things go after 5-7 years, and who continue to lie. They lie about me, lie about Billy, lie about Charles and the operation of this forum, they've lied about Brian Wilson and his family, they've lied about Howie most recently, they've continually lied about how and why people were banned here, and it continues to this day.

Appalling.

Just grow up, get over it, tell the truth, and talk about the music. If the only thing left to do to boost yourself up is spread lies and false information, that's pretty pathetic.

Sorry for the interruption.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2022, 11:36:44 AM »

Sorry again for interjecting into the thread, but since this stuff is going back and forth, it's time to address yet another lie being told about people here. This nonsense and the lies need to stop.

So it's been said yet again that people were banned here "for simply stating our opinions". This according to "feelsflow", whose membership is still active here and who was not banned.

I'll make this one easy: That's an outright lie. No one, and I repeat NO ONE, was banned here for "simply stating their opinions". Period. If people can't accept this, or prefer to lie and ignore the facts, we'd be happy to open the archives and go through exactly what people who were banned actually did or how they acted to trigger a ban. It's not pretty, and I'd rather not see that happen. But keep lying, Will and others, and you'll see what actually happened because it's all in the archives. The bans were for breaking board rules, most times repeatedly. And that's a fact. How those rules were broken by the banned individuals would cast them in a pretty bad light in some cases, which is why that's not something we'd want to see happen.

So here's another case where people who carry grudges cannot let things go after 5-7 years, and who continue to lie. They lie about me, lie about Billy, lie about Charles and the operation of this forum, they've lied about Brian Wilson and his family, they've lied about Howie most recently, they've continually lied about how and why people were banned here, and it continues to this day.

Appalling.

Just grow up, get over it, tell the truth, and talk about the music. If the only thing left to do to boost yourself up is spread lies and false information, that's pretty pathetic.

Exactly. The way they turned on Howie speaks volumes.

And yeah these lies about being banned over difference of opinion is sickening but not surprising. The made to feel unwelcome, well, ok….but isn’t that basically just taking your bat and ball and going home cause nobody agrees with you?  Not a single person was banned over a difference of opinion, and no matter how many times these lying pricks try to make it so, it won’t be cause it never happened

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2022, 01:11:32 PM »

I don’t want to start a whole bunch of s**t, and this is something that applies to any message board when you try to examine a small subset of people being weirdly aggressive/pedantic/argumentative, etc. In that thread over there, many, many of the times I see a particularly hostile, indignant post complaining about Howie or his interview or the archival team or whatever, it’s almost always someone with like 10 or 12 or whatever posts to their name, or somewhere in the double digits. It’s kind of strange. Like, multiple times I come across someone writing a NOVEL picking apart a podcast interview about a greatest hits compilation, and they have like 8 posts to their name.

To be clear, I’m not discouraging new posters on any board, nor am I saying one automatically has less believability or whatever when they haven’t posted a lot.

But the two most common scenarios when so much of this vitriol comes from posters with few posts or membership time to their name are: One, a new fan who doesn’t grasp the tone or etiquette or something. Two, a fan or poster who has started a new account just to do this stuff. Whether this amounts to a “burner” account or alternate or whatever you want to call it, I don’t know. Or three, a longer-time fan who never or rarely engages in discussion, but curiously comes out of the woodwork just to stir this one particular fire. And perhaps there is some overlap in these groups.

All I’m saying is that I would always weigh and judge accordingly someone tearing the team who works on these great BB projects a new one when they’ve posted like 14 times and/or just joined a few weeks or months ago or something. And as I’ve already said, that stuff is an embarrassment to fans and the band, that there are that many people who have little or nothing to say about the band until a hits compilation has remixes you don’t like. That there are that many people who, as I’ve already said, seem determined to professionally and expertly *miss the point* all the time about everything when it comes to this band, from their history to the production to the engineering to the mixing to the marketing to the internal process at the companies and labels involved, and on and on. To say nothing of so many Beach Boys fans, especially those who are not super young, who seem to have little or no awareness of how young people today find/consume/seek out/enjoy/spread the word about music or anything else for that matter.

I’ve seen dozens and dozens and dozens of compilations come and go over the decades, and I wrongly thought that most even old, grizzled fans had stopped so indignantly complaining about them. Like, you know they’re going to happen, and you no longer can say “well, they’re putting the compilations out instead of new stuff!”, because this “Sounds of Summer” reissue is literally going to be bookended by “Feel Flows” and the 72/73 set.

And, we’ve been getting stereo remixes for at least 26 years now. I’m sure we all like some more than others. The '96 "Pet Sounds" stereo mix is like one of my all time favorite, go-to albums mixes ever. With some weird exceptions here and there, all of the original mixes of the BBs stuff is still out there and available. What’s the problem?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 01:12:35 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2022, 01:59:11 AM »

Appalling.

Yeah I find it amusing that one of the posters over there actually recommended people check out the sandbox here. It’s like, yeah please do! For that matter check out any of the archives here. You’ll literally see the evidence that people weren’t banned because of their opinion. In fact, if you’re new to the fandom, you’ll stumble upon a many great number of things that will change your entire perception of the fandom, sadly.

My favorite part is the poster stating that many left SS on their own accord because they felt unwelcome, IN A THREAD WHERE PEOPLE ARE BASHING HOWIE FOR DOING THE SAME THING THERE LOL just a perfect advertisement for a board that touts being so accepting and inclusive. They literally ran off a guy who has put his heart and soul into The Beach Boys and is trying his best to get every fan rarities that have been locked away for 50 years. And we’re the unwelcoming ones?

And I guess someone brought up the Alan Boyd controversy that happened here? Difference is that “quarrel” started because of a connection between privately spread malicious rumors about Melinda Wilson and a credit on a boxset. In our current state Howie Edelson helped put together an amazing sampler compilation and he was raked over the coals for being open about his love for the band in a podcast. Huge, HUGE difference there, and any newcomer with a kindergarten+ education could easily discern between the two.

Does everyone remember how long and hard Howie, Mark, Alan, etc had to fight to even get Feel Flows released? I am not saying that we can’t have opinions about perceived quality and tracklisting, etc. But there has seemed to be a weird push to completely lambast these sets (and now Howie personally). I think a lot of fans just need to step away from the computer and get some fresh air. We are incredibly blessed to have what we have.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2022, 02:12:10 AM »

Don’t forget some of them threatening a “boycott” 😂

Some “fans”.

Excuse me while I mosh to Marcella.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2022, 02:18:53 AM »

Excuse me while I mosh to Marcella.

LOL thank you for starting my day off with a good laugh!

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2022, 04:40:24 AM »

Hey guys -- can I just say, AGD was the ONLY one over there that I knew that had the class and balls to take my part.

Even I guy that I know -- and have actually helped -- could only muster a weak, "Howie may be brash, but. . . ."

Let's not sh*t on people here.
We're better than that.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2022, 05:32:17 AM »

The lies need to stop, it's as simple as that. But that's difficult, I'm sure, for people who have been lying for years. The current lies about people being banned for stating their opinions and me illegally downloading or pirating music are just two of the most ridiculous lies because the truth can literally be accessed and most of it can be seen by anyone who wants to read it. I reposted it above, in one case.

Yet people still lie.

So whoever wants to associate and hang around with liars, have at it.

Just understand the projection going on, and how the very same behaviors that got people banned here and on multiple other forums are what those same individuals are pointing fingers of blame elsewhere and saying they're above all that.

And again, most fans won't have the bad karma of lying about and trying to f*ck over Brian Wilson and his family on their conscience...but we know who will.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2022, 06:57:07 AM »

It still seems difficult to get a regular text listing for which songs are remixes, so here are the screencaps again:

Worth noting that the screencaps above show "All I Wanna Do" rather than "All I Want To Do", which makes more sense considering it's the alternate take.

Also, I think a few of the things above are the 2021 remixes from the "Feel Flows" set; I don't have "Feel Flows" in front of me right now to recall which were labeled 2020 versus 2021 remixes.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2022, 07:16:57 AM »

It would be interesting to know the rationale behind the stereo mixes selected for particular songs as well as those selected for brand new stereo mixes.

Presumably the 2001 stereo mix of California Girls is considered definitive.
A new, new stereo mix of Don't Worry Baby will be interesting since the latest remix is relatively recent and already great. Wow didn't realize it goes back as far as 2009.
Similar with Do It Again.

I will be very interested to see what they do with Wild Honey and Darlin because I did very much enjoy their first stereo mixes, however they stayed quite true to the general aesthetic of their original mono version in my opinion, perhaps they can be pushed further toward a pre-1967/"big" studio sound. That said, why stick with the 2017 version of Let The Wind Blow (could have even reverted to the first one that appears on the Hawthorne comp).

Looking forward to seeing hearing a new mix of Baby Blue, which is already great...from a similar-ish era, I'd actually be very curious to see what they could do with a remix of Goin On.

All This Is That is left alone, whilst others from that album are not.

Interesting that the 21st century stereo mix of Time To Get Alone has never appeared since its original release, as far as I can recall.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2022, 07:29:43 AM »

Hey guys -- can I just say, AGD was the ONLY one over there that I knew that had the class and balls to take my part.

Even I guy that I know -- and have actually helped -- could only muster a weak, "Howie may be brash, but. . . ."

We're better than that.

Well, this time tomorrow I will be thinking of nothing else except for the music.

I do think that the lies and distortion need to be pointed out and refuted as long as people keep pushing those false narratives. I've been called out for spreading lies in the past on this forum (I had made a wrong assumption), but you own up to it and apologize. You don't ignore it and continue to tell the lie/untruth...or you at least explain why you think you're telling the truth and provide evidence. The culture on that forum is one where they promote this idea of welcoming and openness, but then you continually read lie after lie about people or events. And there are some really good people on that forum, and either they are willfully ignorant of the history of certain personalities there, or they just don't see it. Take a look at how the "leadership" on that forum dealt with this most recent incident and you can see exactly what I mean.

Anyways, this set comes out tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited for it. Hopefully all of us can just appreciate the great music. Perhaps there will be mixes I don't care for on the set, so be it. I'm just happy that we've got amazing people running the show and I've loved what I've heard thus far.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2022, 07:46:32 AM »

We're better than that.

Well, this time tomorrow I will be thinking of nothing else except for the music.

I do think that the lies and distortion need to be pointed out and refuted as long as people keep pushing those false narratives. I've been called out for spreading lies in the past on this forum (I had made a wrong assumption), but you own up to it and apologize. You don't ignore it and continue to tell the lie/untruth...or you at least explain why you think you're telling the truth and provide evidence. The culture on that forum is one where they promote this idea of welcoming and openness, but then you continually read lie after lie about people or events. And there are some really good people on that forum, and either they are willfully ignorant of the history of certain personalities there, or they just don't see it. Take a look at how the "leadership" on that forum dealt with this most recent incident and you can see exactly what I mean.

Anyways, this set comes out tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited for it. Hopefully all of us can just appreciate the great music. Perhaps there will be mixes I don't care for on the set, so be it. I'm just happy that we've got amazing people running the show and I've loved what I've heard thus far.

Well said. And yes, the fact that the lies have been continuously written and promoted by the same people even in light of the actual truth being openly available to read or hear says all you need to know about the people telling the lies. Whatever agenda they have, whatever grudges they have, whatever delusions they have, if you continue to tell a lie that has been debunked numerous times over the years there's something wrong there.

But hey, if people want to believe those with a history of lying, who don't correct the lies or false statements, and who have made a reputation of attacking people then lying about it and projecting it onto others for years on these forums, go right ahead and believe the liars. The old saying is the leopard can't change its spots. That's pretty accurate.

It's just a shame that Howie and Mark fell into the crosshairs as they did, but just consider the sources and the people who created that kind of atmosphere. Glad those people are no longer here.

William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2022, 09:20:24 AM »

New stereo mix of Surfin' USA now on Spotify.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2022, 09:40:18 AM »

New stereo mix of Surfin' USA now on Spotify.

Depending on where you live I think the whole set should now be available to some people. Someone on EH has listened to the set and has some great things to say about it - a lot of the remixes seem to be done very well.

Very much looking forward to hearing a cleaner sounding 'Do You Like Worms'. Also I overlooked that 'Let Us Go On This Way' was getting a remix - even though the reviewer on EH didn't give it such high marks, I wonder if I'll like it considering the mixing is supposedly done in a similar fashion as the 2021 'Marcella' (a mix which I love). I have always wanted to hear the Love You album done in a whole new mix. So I'm really looking forward to hearing it!

William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2022, 09:43:47 AM »

You're right - it's all there. No doubt it will become available wherever you are when the clock strikes midnight, as it has just done here in Australia.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2022, 09:45:32 AM »

The poster over there said Howie’s interview indicates he things AM and FM matter for the Beach Boys in 2022. That’s ENTIRELY missing the point. It’s the opposite! They’re not a presence on radio much, and haven’t been for quite some time. The point isn’t that remixing “Baby Blue” is going to get them on the radio in 2022. The point is that the BBs not existing in the “classic rock” realm alongside other peers is a *symptom* of a long string of unfortunate things that injured their cred/image/legacy over the years. The point is now to right those wrongs the best they can be. Not by trying to get radio to play “Marcella” or “Baby Blue” now, but rather to talk the band up in media and venues that will give them some of that cred, and will make both their music and the ability to discover and enjoy their music something that is relatable and tangible and plausible for a 20-year-old in 2022.

The point that you and Howie are missing is that 20-year-olds who are into FM classic rock are already into the Beach Boys. And they don't care what some boomer critics wrote in Rolling Stone fifty years ago. That old school of thought is painfully irrelevant.

One of the major reasons EH blew up was because of Howie saying that 20-year-olds don't appreciate the nerdy/kitsch songs. It's an insane statement. Bands like Weezer, They Might Be Giants, and BMX Bandits made entire careers out of exploiting Beach Boys-style kitsch. Are they seen as "shitty doo-wop" today? No!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:50:11 AM by terrei » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx