gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:44:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sounds of Summer 6LP Announced  (Read 29290 times)
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2022, 11:56:07 PM »

I really hate to say this, but I kinda feel I have to, as they might see our very valid criticisms and reevaluate things for '72 box set.

There distortion issues (like on DWB's bridge and stuff) and the compression is not acceptable for a Beach Boys release. It's just not on. It's really inconsistent all the way through this set, and there are more poorly mixed tracks than well-mixed tracks, I reckon.

I'm in the target audience for this stuff (early 20s) and I still have major concerns about the mixing/mastering of this breathtaking music.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 07:12:04 AM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2022, 12:12:57 AM »

Listening via Apple Music (lossless)...I like some of the mixes. The Dolby Atmos presentation I can take or leave. I forgot how much I like "Getcha Back" and "Good Timin'".

I like the new mixes fine, Mark Linett always does a fine job with the re-mixes (mostly). I'm a bit of a traditionalist though. If it was originally released in mono, that's kind of how I like to hear it. Modern remixes are "fun" and occasionally revelatory but that's it.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2022, 12:35:17 AM »

I was walking to pick my kids up the other day and blasting Sounds Of Summer on shuffle and "Wind Chimes' came on. Now, I've always preferred the Smiley version of the tune and I find myself only really listening to SMiLE in the fall and winter -- it's never been summer music for me. But with it being the first stereo version, I let it play through. Now, this was just a gorgeous New York City spring day. We don't really get many anymore, for years it's felt like it goes from April to August. But hearing that bombastic bridge/B-section -- the horns, the harmonies, mixed with the perfect temperature, lush trees, and eden-like sunshine -- my heart just exploded. It was LITERALLY "the thing." It took me RIGHT to that place. The place where there's joy, and hope, and you can't help but look and DWELL on the bright side. Just ZENITH Beach Boys heaven.

After all these years, that's never happened with me and that song until the other day and THIS comp. Perfect timing.

Great post! I love both the SMiLE and Smiley Smile versions of Wind Chimes — amazing music! The stereo mix of Wind Chimes on SoS is actually a 1:1 copy of the stereo mix first issued on Made in California back in 2013. Same mix, EQ and mastering. It sounds amazing and I’m glad it’s on the new Sounds of Summer!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 12:37:20 AM by humanoidboogie » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2022, 02:31:01 AM »

OK I am listening on Amazon Prime - German based and this set is not doing much for me, primarily because of someone being lazy and using mono mixes for many tracks, despite labelling them as stereo mixes. Then I Get Around is the faux-stereo mono seperated by a slight delay duophonic crap mix. Then the alleged Fun Fun Fun, Don't Worry Baby, Help Me Rhonda, When I Grow Up, In My My Room, Heroes & Villains, Do It Again, darlin', Good Vibrations, Good to My Baby, You're So Good to Me, Aren't You Glad,  Wendy, Let Him Run Wild, & Vegetables are all plain mono. This is a big slaps in the face to users who pay for the Amazon streaming service and detracts from appreciating the mixes that are the true new mixes. What in the hell is going on here?

Not sure if this will work in your country, but here is the link to the YouTube Music page with the new SoS mixes: https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nLcpqmy5v1q-ZZdbYvU5x1gkl8VfLZq9k

I remember back when Apple Music started and I ported ALL of my booted/rarity tracks into my library. Apple replaced them all with with official versions of the tracks. Grateful that I have backups of this stuff. But sometimes these streaming services do the weirdest things. I hope you're able to hear the proper stereo versions soon!

Youtube sound is definitely an improvement on Spotify/Deezer for me. Still some bizarre/sloppy things in this set that I can't understand how they got past the approval process. Why not fade out the hiss on Baby Blue vocal rather than just abruptly cut it? as an example.

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2022, 02:49:10 AM »

The new "marcella" is incredible

Agreed. My favourite of the whole set. Being able to hear Brian and Jack so clearly is just awesome.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2022, 08:40:31 AM »

OK I am listening on Amazon Prime - German based and this set is not doing much for me, primarily because of someone being lazy and using mono mixes for many tracks, despite labelling them as stereo mixes. Then I Get Around is the faux-stereo mono seperated by a slight delay duophonic crap mix. Then the alleged Fun Fun Fun, Don't Worry Baby, Help Me Rhonda, When I Grow Up, In My My Room, Heroes & Villains, Do It Again, darlin', Good Vibrations, Good to My Baby, You're So Good to Me, Aren't You Glad,  Wendy, Let Him Run Wild, & Vegetables are all plain mono. This is a big slaps in the face to users who pay for the Amazon streaming service and detracts from appreciating the mixes that are the true new mixes. What in the hell is going on here?

Not sure if this will work in your country, but here is the link to the YouTube Music page with the new SoS mixes: https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nLcpqmy5v1q-ZZdbYvU5x1gkl8VfLZq9k

I remember back when Apple Music started and I ported ALL of my booted/rarity tracks into my library. Apple replaced them all with with official versions of the tracks. Grateful that I have backups of this stuff. But sometimes these streaming services do the weirdest things. I hope you're able to hear the proper stereo versions soon!

Youtube sound is definitely an improvement on Spotify/Deezer for me. Still some bizarre/sloppy things in this set that I can't understand how they got past the approval process. Why not fade out the hiss on Baby Blue vocal rather than just abruptly cut it? as an example.

Yeah there are some oddities for sure, such as the guitar track on Surfin Safari - one of my favorite earlier tracks - and there is a lot of digital distortion noticeable on that guitar track (though the vocals are mixed gorgeously). And yeah, I did notice abrupt hiss clips in one or two of the tracks. But thankfully these oddities are rare for me, and overall all the remixes sound fantastic to my ears, and given only 24 of 80 tracks are remixed, a couple of those tracks having oddities doesn't really effect my experience.

I think there are also massive differences in the mix depending on the way you listen to it. The difference between Dolby Atmos being on and off is huge (I prefer it being off). I mentioned audio codecs before and I think that is at play here (which is why there are differences in quality/sound between platforms). Also having any EQ on Spotify (and Apple Music) effects how the mix sounds. Also there is a difference in sound when listening to wired/analog vs Bluetooth. There are a lot of variables to consider in the digital age.

On another note, I see people are now complaining about Carl and Dennis' tracks being tinkered with (this is somehow sacrilege). Didn't Chuck Britz help Brian with mixing the early-mid-60s output of The Beach Boys? Is it sacrilege that he isn't here to give his token of approval on the mixes he helped Brian with? People are scraping the bottom of the barrel to trash this project.

Anywho, I'm off for a drive, gonna put the windows down and crank this new set. It's gonna be a good day Smiley

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2022, 08:49:58 AM »

Talkin about "Baby Blue".....probably should be a different thread but I always loved that whistling section that was on the "Bamboo" boots and felt that the "late at night" vocal was not needed.

In the strange world of the late 90's, I couldn't get hold of the LA track but had that boot taped live off Real Player on some BB fan website about 5 years before I ever heard the LA version.

I made a few cover versions of my own and was a bit obsessed with it.

Found a vinyl copy at a record fair of "LA" and rushed home to play it on my friends player as I didn't have one. Was interested to hear how different it was but felt a bit sterile and lifeless compared to the boot.

anyway...that's enough of my old man rambling  Grin
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 09:02:11 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2022, 09:06:17 AM »

And sadly the lies continue over there. I really hate breaking in like this because I do have a lot of thoughts on the new mixes, but for God's sake just tell the truth and stop the lies about this place and things that happened 5-7 years ago, guys. Now it's Paul JB saying people were banned for expressing opinions against Brian Wilson or defending Mike Love.

That NEVER HAPPENED. Period.

I never had an issue with Paul, and always enjoyed reading what he said, so it's very disappointing to now see someone like Paul continuing to spread outright lies.

People were banned for their behavior on the board, breaking or ignoring the rules and warnings from the mods, and patterns of bad behavior sometimes going back years. That same behavior was on display on other BB's forums through the years which led to bans on those forums, including the Pet Sounds Forum where one of the admins got banned by his own mods for his behavior and outbursts, including going off on the mods.

So do you want to talk facts? We have those and would be happy to open the archives to show what these people did who were banned here. Not a single ban was done for criticizing Brian or defending Mike. Period. If someone has information to add to that, please let me, Billy, and Charles know because we know how and why the bans happened. 

Or would you rather talk about music? It doesn't seem that way, but I hope that's why people visit these places. Throwing tantrums on 6 year old grudges and outbursts must be more appealing?

Just stop the lies. In this case, the person spreading them is better than that, which is the only reason why I'm saying this again when the focus should be the music.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2022, 09:15:40 AM »

The highlight for me so far is Do You Like Worms, that was a surprise that I didn't expect, but the separation of the tracks really gives it a cool new listening experience. And overall I've been enjoying hearing the bass parts throughout the new mixes that are much more audible and you get to hear the great tone and touch that these parts had originally but often got buried on the original mixes. It's cool to hear them note for note, I noticed it prominently on a song like Darlin.

Some work better than others, but that's always par for the course.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2022, 09:38:06 AM »

My disc isn't expected to arrive until Wednesday.  😡  However I have been listening to the compilation in Amazon Music HD (gettin' fancy with the 24-bit masters!).  Assuming that Amazon didn't f__k up using the wrong masters of these songs, what I have heard so far sounds pretty good.  Sounds like there are more songs with changes to the mix than what was originally reported.  "Rock and Roll Music" is lifted directly from the Made In California extended version except they omitted the extra verse included in that version.  Looking forward to hearing this in full and may eventually pick up the vinyl release of it too.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2022, 09:49:37 AM »

Just listened to the set. I like it for easy listening or background music while doing other things. I think for the average listener they will like it. I believe that is who this new edition is aimed at. Most won’t know about old mixes or even care. If this new edition turns more people onto the beach boys catalog so much the better. If this was the goal then i think mark, alan and howie hit it out of the park.
Sometimes fans can over analyze something to death. The set sounds good. If one doesn’t like a mix replace it with one you do. But for the average person this set sounds good. Hope it turns more people on to the beach boys and they start exploring the catalog. That is the ultimate goal anyways.
Thank you mark, alan and howie. I love the new sounds of summer. I appreciate the effort you all put into this set.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2022, 09:58:31 AM »

Or would you rather talk about music? It doesn't seem that way, but I hope that's why people visit these places. Throwing tantrums on 6 year old grudges and outbursts must be more appealing?

if that really is how you feel great. but you really should remove that latin phrase under your avatar post. goes against what you are preaching.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2022, 10:08:08 AM »

Yeah there are some oddities for sure, such as the guitar track on Surfin Safari - one of my favorite earlier tracks - and there is a lot of digital distortion noticeable on that guitar track (though the vocals are mixed gorgeously). And yeah, I did notice abrupt hiss clips in one or two of the tracks. But thankfully these oddities are rare for me, and overall all the remixes sound fantastic to my ears, and given only 24 of 80 tracks are remixed, a couple of those tracks having oddities doesn't really effect my experience.

I think there are also massive differences in the mix depending on the way you listen to it. The difference between Dolby Atmos being on and off is huge (I prefer it being off). I mentioned audio codecs before and I think that is at play here (which is why there are differences in quality/sound between platforms). Also having any EQ on Spotify (and Apple Music) effects how the mix sounds. Also there is a difference in sound when listening to wired/analog vs Bluetooth. There are a lot of variables to consider in the digital age.

On another note, I see people are now complaining about Carl and Dennis' tracks being tinkered with (this is somehow sacrilege). Didn't Chuck Britz help Brian with mixing the early-mid-60s output of The Beach Boys? Is it sacrilege that he isn't here to give his token of approval on the mixes he helped Brian with? People are scraping the bottom of the barrel to trash this project.

Anywho, I'm off for a drive, gonna put the windows down and crank this new set. It's gonna be a good day Smiley

No.

Brian was the producer for most of  the ‘60s material. Carl was the primary producer for many of the ‘70s tracks. Many of the remixes impart significant production changes to the tracks. Chuck Britz was a recording engineer working under Brian’s direction.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2022, 10:13:56 AM »

Just listened to the set. I like it for easy listening or background music while doing other things. I think for the average listener they will like it. I believe that is who this new edition is aimed at. Most won’t know about old mixes or even care. If this new edition turns more people onto the beach boys catalog so much the better. If this was the goal then i think mark, alan and howie hit it out of the park.
Sometimes fans can over analyze something to death. The set sounds good. If one doesn’t like a mix replace it with one you do. But for the average person this set sounds good. Hope it turns more people on to the beach boys and they start exploring the catalog. That is the ultimate goal anyways.
Thank you mark, alan and howie. I love the new sounds of summer. I appreciate the effort you all put into this set.

Yes, most average listeners will not care or even notice any difference if the mixes are generally true to the originals. Which means the target audience for remixes would be those that are sensitive to or paying attention to such things.

So IMO you can’t say “most people won’t care”- which I agree is true- but at the same time defend the remixes. If it doesn’t matter, then why remix them? Clearly the remixes are intended for those who do care.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2022, 10:25:42 AM »

I can understand that feeling…but the original mixes are still available! I’m literally on Spotify as we type listening to the All Summer Long album in mono! If the new mix of Marcella was inserted into So Tough, then that’d be out of line. But it’s not! It’s one thing to not like the new mixes… I do for the most part (although I do prefer the original mono ) but the whole thing about Carl not being here to sign off….sorry , IMHO that is faulty logic. By that same logic, we need to remove every copyright extension release. No more performance of classical music, as Bach can’t sign off on it. Get rid of every Beatles reissue after Lennon died. Nobody could ever cover a song again.

Ok, so that sounds a bit extreme, but hopefully my point is clear. As long as it is clearly labeled a remix, there’s no issue. Now passing off a new mix as the original vintage deal, now that’s a different thing entirely
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 10:27:15 AM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2022, 10:26:07 AM »

if that really is how you feel great. but you really should remove that latin phrase under your avatar post. goes against what you are preaching.

I'm not preaching anything, I'm just saying stop all the lies and tell the truth about what happened if you're going to keep hammering away at events from 2015-16, and if you don't know the truth, then don't say anything. A relatively easy thing to do, telling the truth.

I should change it to "nolite mendacium loqui", I need to make my years of AP Latin studies worthwhile.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2022, 10:37:21 AM »

No.

Brian was the producer for most of  the ‘60s material. Carl was the primary producer for many of the ‘70s tracks. Many of the remixes impart significant production changes to the tracks. Chuck Britz was a recording engineer working under Brian’s direction.

I see what you mean in that regard. But I also just don't see why this is an issue. As Billy says, the originals are all there to listen to. People just seem to be nitpicking this stuff to death....if you don't like it simply put on the plethora of original versions that are available.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2022, 10:49:04 AM »

If no one here's gonna say it, then I will. These remasters and remixes are dreadfully brittle. Most of them sound like they're on the verge of crumbling into a thousand pieces. Like they're being held together by Elmer's glue and rubber bands.

Baby Blue is possibly the worst offender. That compression. That hiss. "The definitive mix"? Holy tomatoes.

Why do the horns on Let Us Go On This Way sound like they were recorded on a flip phone from 2005?

God help you, Mark. And God help listeners with misophonia. I'd never recommend this set as an entry point to the Beach Boys.
I couldn't agree more. I am glad that a lot of people are liking this, same time being extremely worried of the future of these releases. I have been waiting the Holland box set like crazy, but if it's gonna sound like this, I'm out.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2022, 10:58:50 AM »

And sadly the lies continue over there. I really hate breaking in like this because I do have a lot of thoughts on the new mixes, but for God's sake just tell the truth and stop the lies about this place and things that happened 5-7 years ago, guys. Now it's Paul JB saying people were banned for expressing opinions against Brian Wilson or defending Mike Love.

That NEVER HAPPENED. Period.

Just odd for a forum that constantly brags about how welcoming and inclusive they are, and half the time you visit they are bashing people. I mean their own administrator was so cringe-inducingly rude to Howie. Their response to not only Howie but their subsequent panic attack about this forum just shows their true colors. I mean for Paul to state that Howie should have used "a little simple communication"...whaaa?? - it doesn't get much simpler than a chill podcast interview where Howie was merely talking about his history, his love for the music, and the background on this project. And y'all TORE him apart. One guy seemed to do a background check on Howie lol. It's just insane what happened there, and somehow it is Howie's fault for not using simpler communication. And then AGD states that it is "sad" that it seems to be too late for anyone to extend an olive branch - and then a few hours later he takes a crack at this forum....yeah, sounds like he's real torn apart about the divisions in the fandom. But it's that exact hypocrisy and double-standard that permeates that forum. And it's on full display right now.

We're not perfect over here, but we don't advertise to be. We're also not straight up lying about actions that took place 5-7 years ago. Again, I implore anyone to go back into the sandbox or other archives to see why people were banned (and frankly just the overall nasty posts that were made about Brian, his family, and the utterly ridiculous arguments used to defend Mike Love's crass comments about Brian).

humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2022, 11:13:38 AM »

Maybe you could move the EH vs. SS discussion to its own thread? I want to read people’s thoughts on Sounds of Summer and not get involved in a lot of drama I neither care nor know anything about.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2022, 11:19:09 AM »

Maybe you could move the EH vs. SS discussion to its own thread? I want to read people’s thoughts on Sounds of Summer and not get involved in a lot of drama I neither care nor know anything about.

Yeah sorry about that. Since all this talk was somewhat related to the release it kinda made sense for it to be in this thread. But yeah, post-release I can see it being annoying for most people to read that drivel haha. Hopefully that's the end of it.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2022, 11:24:53 AM »

The highlight for me so far is Do You Like Worms, that was a surprise that I didn't expect, but the separation of the tracks really gives it a cool new listening experience.

I agree with this, it caught me off guard in a great way. It kind of reminded me of the 'fake stereo' from the Good Vibrations box set of the same track. Or, at least that's my memory of it.

But so much better and 'proper' stereo mix. I wouldn't mind hearing a fully remixed "2011 Smile" album in stereo. I think it might reveal some nuances hitherto unheard.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2022, 11:53:02 AM »

The highlight for me so far is Do You Like Worms, that was a surprise that I didn't expect, but the separation of the tracks really gives it a cool new listening experience.

I agree with this, it caught me off guard in a great way. It kind of reminded me of the 'fake stereo' from the Good Vibrations box set of the same track. Or, at least that's my memory of it.

But so much better and 'proper' stereo mix. I wouldn't mind hearing a fully remixed "2011 Smile" album in stereo. I think it might reveal some nuances hitherto unheard.

YES.

This new Worms mix really brought a lot of sonic color to the mix, which just doesn't exist in the mono (to my ears). I love my TSS set, but I wouldn't mind getting a remixed stereo version in the future.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2022, 12:14:36 PM »

YES.

This new Worms mix really brought a lot of sonic color to the mix, which just doesn't exist in the mono (to my ears). I love my TSS set, but I wouldn't mind getting a remixed stereo version in the future.

Same. I'm a mono purist but I don't mind remixes for fun and analytical listening.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 02:23:38 PM by JCM » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2022, 12:20:56 PM »

Yeah sorry about that. Since all this talk was somewhat related to the release it kinda made sense for it to be in this thread. But yeah, post-release I can see it being annoying for most people to read that drivel haha. Hopefully that's the end of it.

Agreed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx