gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:59:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love just announced a "Good Vibrations" Cruise  (Read 9542 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2021, 12:01:14 AM »

Well I did allude to that point earlier in the thread, but it is once again the use of ‘The Beach Boys’ name rather than that of an individual. ‘Brian Wilson’ can do what he wants. ‘’The Beach Boys’ most of us hope would be somewhat selective.
Then your gripe is with the entity that allows Mike and Bruce to tour as The Beach Boys.

I think it’s fairly obvious that Brian and Melinda don’t want a legal scuffle with Mike this late in Brian’s life. So, if Brian and Melinda love the money flow from Mike’s touring band (I’m sure it’s really keeping a roof over their heads and food on their plates) then yeah we do have a partial gripe with them. But our gripe isn’t limited to just them, but also to Mike and Bruce themselves who clearly see nothing wrong with calling themselves the beach boys when 2 out of 8(?) members are actually official members of the band. They honestly fit that cruise lineup perfectly.
I felt as you do once upon a time. I thought the band name should have been retired after Carl died.
So then what we would have had was Mike and Bruce touring under whatever name, doing a show of Beach Boys music. Just as we do with Brian and Al now. Brian's not out there trying to promote his solo albums - he and his group are performing a show of Beach Boys music.
So they might as well just call it the Beach Boys.

I totally get your perspective and have honestly cared less and less as time goes on about Mike’s control of the license. I guess at times I still get bitter about the state of the band right now. I just wish they were still making music together, still touring together, not boycotting their own music because of a stupid hunting gig. So when Mike does some gig I think is absurd, I knock it. But meanwhile Mike is out there helping his band members make a living - they all have jobs they love, they play a good show. So no, I’m not that pissed off about it. And on the flip side of that, Brian and his band are helping support their crew by keeping things the way things are (and if they joined The Beach Boys to create another supergroup again, they’d clearly have to let some people go. So I’m sure everyone is mostly happy with the way things are - but what do I know?).

Idk, none of it is black and white - for the band(s), for the fans. If any of us had the power to take the license from Mike, would we really (OSD excluded Grin)?? A decision like that could alter a lot of lives. In the end would it be worth it? And that’s probably why Mike still tours as The Beach Boys.
Cool Guy
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2021, 02:29:41 PM »

If the Good Vibrations cruise doesn't include great whale hunting as a deluxe excursion for the top payers with Eric and Don Jr. posing for pictures, this will be a complete rip off.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2021, 02:39:49 PM »

Unrelated, but cruises have a horrific environmental impact and nobody should be going on them. It's honestly better to just fly to your destination rather than support an industry that runs on heavy fuel oils which heavily pollute the environment while also dumping the waste in the seas without treatment.

I don't blame them for it, but Mike and Bruce (and Brian and Al) should know better, especially for those who have been grandstanding with environmentally minded songs (SIP, DFTS, DGNTW, etc).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 02:43:00 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2021, 09:29:12 AM »

I just see it as another way to piggyback an "anniversary" of some kind onto Mike's Beach Boys shows or events that would have happened the same way had there been an anniversary or not. What is truly special about this gig to bill it as an anniversary celebration? Mark McGrath? Will there be a giant cake with sparkler candles and a large "60" cake-topper decoration that Mike and Bruce will cut during each performance after white-gloved kitchen staff wheel it out onto the dance floor? Maybe it will be a fake cake that Stamos will jump out of? Who knows. 

Understanding this is only one gig, to promote it as a celebration tied into the 60th anniversary of "The Beach Boys", the details of which fans have been discussing a lot for obvious reasons, seems like a question of is this cruise celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Beach Boys, or is the 60th anniversary of the Beach Boys being used to sell and market a music cruise that would have happened anyway? Mike has been doing these cruises for years, as shown by the marketing department using the same erroneous copy about Endless Summer they used in 2010, verbatim.

The difference as pointed out by others in previous posts is that the band's name and history is on the marquee, versus the name of an individual band member. And that's been the difference the whole time this license setup has been in place. It's a different ballgame.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2021, 09:30:32 AM »

Just an aside, the band The Surfragettes who are also on the bill are a great instrumental surf band whose music I really enjoy, really great stuff. Check them out!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2021, 01:33:25 PM »

I just see it as another way to piggyback an "anniversary" of some kind onto Mike's Beach Boys shows or events that would have happened the same way had there been an anniversary or not. What is truly special about this gig to bill it as an anniversary celebration? Mark McGrath? Will there be a giant cake with sparkler candles and a large "60" cake-topper decoration that Mike and Bruce will cut during each performance after white-gloved kitchen staff wheel it out onto the dance floor? Maybe it will be a fake cake that Stamos will jump out of? Who knows. 

Understanding this is only one gig, to promote it as a celebration tied into the 60th anniversary of "The Beach Boys", the details of which fans have been discussing a lot for obvious reasons, seems like a question of is this cruise celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Beach Boys, or is the 60th anniversary of the Beach Boys being used to sell and market a music cruise that would have happened anyway? Mike has been doing these cruises for years, as shown by the marketing department using the same erroneous copy about Endless Summer they used in 2010, verbatim.

The difference as pointed out by others in previous posts is that the band's name and history is on the marquee, versus the name of an individual band member. And that's been the difference the whole time this license setup has been in place. It's a different ballgame.
Maybe it's time us REAL Beach Boys fans protest to BRI about the abomination that is Mike and Bruce as the touring Beach Boys.
Can we force their hand if we stop going to Mike and Bruce's shows?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2021, 09:33:16 PM »

Can we force their hand if we stop going to Mike and Bruce's shows?

Way ahead of ya….
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2021, 11:25:05 AM »

Apparently Mike Nesmith has just passed away.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »

Apparently Mike Nesmith has just passed away.

Cry
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx