gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:15:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian album announced  (Read 30319 times)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 11:21:32 AM »

They say that Brian's back, I never knew that he was gone...   

Ok, ok, sorry, I lost my mind.  Cheesy

Recording a new album: GOOD
MultiBrian backing vocals: BAD

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 11:31:46 AM »

Frankly, I really like the sound of this. This sounds like the most BRIAN project that Brian's worked on in a long time. It sounds like he's large and in charge on this 'un, and the stripped down approach really appeals.

I dig the song titles too: "Oxygen To The Brain?" Sweet.

And "Proud Mary" *FINALLY* resurges! That oughta make AGD have fits, but I'm ecstatic.

A whole song based on the "Shortenin' Bread" riff ?  My idea of heaven !  Cool

But...

But...

Brian doing most of the vocals ? Er...

Two, three songs nigh on 20 years old ("Wondering..." and I'm thinking "Oxygen..." might well be "Chain reaction...") ? Errrrrrrrrr...

Question - do they have a label for this ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 11:34:31 AM »

For an example of how it might sound, check out "Walking Down The Path Of Life," which I believe was ALSO cut with basically Brian and Scotty.

And Taylor, and Nelson.

I like "Path", but that same session also produced the latest and totally insipid version of "Spirit Of Rock & Roll".

Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 11:41:36 AM »

I'm thinking "Oxygen..." might well be "Chain reaction..."

Why might you think that?

"I'm Goin' Home" is, according to Toby, a Paley sessions track, too, so that one's old as well.

I'm not a fan of "stack o' Brian" either -- or that is, I'm a fan when its DONE well, as it was on the first solo album and on Wilson/Paley, but not when its NOT done well, as in several recent attempts.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 11:43:14 AM »

Frankly, I really like the sound of this. This sounds like the most BRIAN project that Brian's worked on in a long time. It sounds like he's large and in charge on this 'un, and the stripped down approach really appeals.

I dig the song titles too: "Oxygen To The Brain?" Sweet.

And "Proud Mary" *FINALLY* resurges! That oughta make AGD have fits, but I'm ecstatic.

A whole song based on the "Shortenin' Bread" riff ?  My idea of heaven !  Cool

But...

But...

Brian doing most of the vocals ? Er...

Two, three songs nigh on 20 years old ("Wondering..." and I'm thinking "Oxygen..." might well be "Chain reaction...") ? Errrrrrrrrr...

Question - do they have a label for this ?

Oh Andrew, you're such a cynic!  Cheesy

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 11:53:53 AM »

I prefer to regard myself as... a realist.  w00t!

I hope for the best, but am prepared for the worst.

Except for GIOMH - nothing prepared me for how bad that puppy was. And is.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 12:05:38 PM »

I just hope he uses real instruments, instead of synth sounds
Well, why not? I could live with some Love You-eccentricity.

Unless a synth is in good use, I don't mind it, hence Love You (which I do enjoy listening to). Just, to me as being a musician, I like to hear the real thing, and not an imitation. I can understand synths used during live shows, because it's "cheaper" then paying musicians if you need more than five instruments (not including bass, guitar, drums the usual live instruments). But, on a record, give me musicians anyday. But, to each his own.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 12:24:11 PM »

Oh g-d, no! Please no PROUD MARY! I hate his version on bootleg and am afraid
the new version will end up being very close to that! No covers, Brian. Do 100% originals! (Wishful thinking, eh?)

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2006, 12:24:57 PM »

I seem to recall reading/hearing that Brian (or his management) had stated once that the Paley sessions were only considered "demos" for use in securing a deal. Was that the actual case?

Brian also stated to me that Mark Linett was not engineering the project.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 12:41:50 PM »

I may be in the minority, but I *love* Brian's Paley-era version of "Proud Mary." Said it before, say it again: the thing flat-out rocks. It has a heavy, driving feel, the verses pound and then the chorus absolutely SLAMS. Its my favorite version of that song in general -- yeah, ahead of CCR *and* Ike and Tina, and I do not say that lightly.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2006, 01:05:42 PM »

Oughta be a Beach Boys' record Cry
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2006, 01:14:42 PM »

I'm really interested in this--of course--but while I appreciate the smaller (less intimidating?) scale from a basic tracks perspective, I really would have preferred an ensemble vocal approach. I've said often that I wish he'd use his current band the way he did the Beach Boys, not only using them for backing vocals but to dole out leads to. This, one assumes, means that won't happen.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2006, 01:21:12 PM »

Interesting...

Well, Scott Bennett is a one-man band, he can play darn near everything you'd want instrumentally from drums to guitar to keys to harmonica to who knows what else. And he's a VERY good vocalist. And the "No Wrong Notes In Heaven" collaboration with BW on Scott's "Dotted Line" CD is quite good.

But...

I just am afraid of the vocals. At first blush it seems it could easily be too much Brian. But maybe there are other bandmembers doing vocals as well, that would be a real plus.

Are you ill, gubb'ner?
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2006, 01:23:31 PM »

I seem to recall reading/hearing that Brian (or his management) had stated once that the Paley sessions were only considered "demos" for use in securing a deal. Was that the actual case?

Brian also stated to me that Mark Linett was not engineering the project.

Well the Paley session versions of 'Saturday morming...' and 'Soul searchin' are the ones that ended up on GIOMH (the title track should have been from that too). Personally I think the Paley sessions backing tracks are great and when put all together are really cohesive. 'Some sweet Day' should be resurrected!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2006, 01:36:48 PM »

Personally I think the Paley sessions backing tracks are great and when put all together are really cohesive. 'Some sweet Day' should be resurrected!

I agree with that, for the most part. Some Sweet Day and Marianne are, to me, the style of thing that would have made the "rock n roll album" (so often discussed for the past eternity or two) fantastic--that style is great for Brian, and those recordings were really cool.

As for what we'll get...we'll see. I just hope Brian sings on key...or even sort of on key. (PLEASE bring in a few others to help, Brian...or at least TRY when you sing.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 02:05:03 PM »

Interesting...

Well, Scott Bennett is a one-man band, he can play darn near everything you'd want instrumentally from drums to guitar to keys to harmonica to who knows what else. And he's a VERY good vocalist. And the "No Wrong Notes In Heaven" collaboration with BW on Scott's "Dotted Line" CD is quite good.

But...

I just am afraid of the vocals. At first blush it seems it could easily be too much Brian. But maybe there are other bandmembers doing vocals as well, that would be a real plus.

Are you ill, gubb'ner?

What are you talking about?
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 02:13:44 PM »

i will believe it only when i hold the new album in my hands......

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 02:16:55 PM »

Two words:

WHERE'S FOSKETT? Huh

« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 02:18:11 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2006, 02:52:23 PM »

I'm for one really looking forward to this; but hey I'm an optimist.

Re: Album release: - Brian had a 2 album deal with Clive Davies didn't he? The Xmas LP was the first.

Grin

I guess I've got a way with girls
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 03:33:08 PM »

I'm really hyped up about this album. That said...why isn't Mark engineering?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2006, 03:38:19 PM »

Is it possible that Brian is acting to lower the expectations all around? No big studio, no major, expensive sessions booked, no large groups of musicians to manage (or not manage, as the case may be), etc. Maybe the whole thing is just a way to relax and record with a friend he's comfortable with--and inexpensively, at that. Could be, couldn't it?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2006, 03:57:12 PM »

Can I be honest? THIS is the album I've been waiting for Brian to make. If it really is pure unadulterated and motivated Brian, we're in for a treat.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drlandy
Smiley Smile Associate

HONKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2006, 05:21:17 PM »

What's wrong with Brian doing all the vocals himself? I love OCA, but I love LY as well and I'll take anything that comes out in the end. 3D
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2006, 05:27:56 PM »

Can I be honest? THIS is the album I've been waiting for Brian to make. If it really is pure unadulterated and motivated Brian, we're in for a treat.

Billy, whatever Brian decides to put out I'll probably one of the first in line.  I would love to hear a finished version of "Proud Mary" once and for all.  I'd also like to hear a finished "It's Not Easy Being Me" too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2006, 05:38:34 PM »

What's wrong with Brian doing all the vocals himself?

I assume you've heard GIOMH? We all love him, but his voice has really, really deteriorated, and unless he's really into it (and possibly has someone driving him to do a great job), Brian-only vox are terrifying.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx