gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:35:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2022 Tour Thread (Plus Archived 2021)  (Read 58338 times)
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 08, 2022, 03:10:52 PM »

I just started reading the reissue/update of David Leaf's book, and this jumped out at me:

"Brian Wilson is a private person; he doesn't belong in a huge arena with over fifteen thousand pairs of eyes bearing down on him."

This was from the intro to the 1978 edition of The Beach Boys and the California Myth
I too saw Brian perform last year, and I agree that he was great - at the time, I felt that the time off during the pandemic probably did him good, physically and mentally, and he was likely happy to get back out on the road.  The venues were all indoor theatres of several thousand capacity.  I would think that it's easier to play an indoor venue - better acoustics, climate-controlled, smaller crowd means less noise, etc.  Brian did three shows in California in Aug/Sept, then was on the road October 5-23.
Compare that to this year - 7 weeks on the road in mostly large outdoor venues.  If Brian seemed disconnected from the beginning, perhaps it's because he was not looking forward to a more strenuous touring experience.  I don't fault management for signing on with this tour - it was probably a very lucrative deal - and Brian may have been agreeable to the idea of it.  But maybe once he was actually out there, he felt differently.  This tour just might have been too much for him. 
I just hope that he's okay and that no matter what, he can get y'know worrrrrrrld peace.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 08, 2022, 05:43:35 PM »

Margarita, I'd like this even more as a reason for the cancellation of the tour(s). Brian simply saying: "Guys, I am tired and this is not good for my back. Sorry."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 04:01:59 AM by Zenobi » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2022, 08:22:33 AM »

Margarita, I'd like this even more as a reason for the cancellation of the tour(s). Brian simply saying: "Guys, I am tired and this is not good for my back. Sorry."

I suspect that contractually he can't do that.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 09, 2022, 08:48:41 AM »

I just said I'd like that as a reason. Most other possible reasons are worse. Just that.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2022, 02:01:31 PM »

I'm not sure the Chicago tour would be more strenuous, at least logistically, for Brian than doing his own tour. Mainly, in terms of show length. The joint tour with Chicago featured significantly *shorter* shows, and being able to knock off earlier in the evening (theoretically).

I'm not saying there aren't many factors at play. But compared to previous years, doing a seven-week tour (with over a week-long break in the middle) where you open the shows and do a quick 70-75 minutes or so, with three or four other lead vocalists helping out, isn't particularly strenuous, and certainly doesn't seem *more* strenuous.

In other words, whatever Brian's going through, his struggling on this last tour I don't think had much if anything to do specifically with elements that were unique to doing this type of tour. If anything, I'd suspect even if Brian was struggling somewhat but wanted to continue touring, this would be a pretty ideal setup: shorter shows, fewer total shows, etc.

The main challenge that would be faced on a joint tour with Chicago would be having to play in front of a larger proportion of non-fans and casual fans that may not be attuned to Brian's deal. And I have to say, based on audio/video of the tour and reviews and reports, I think Brian's tour was pretty lucky in that concertgoers and reviewers were pretty understanding and sympathetic.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2022, 04:14:57 PM »

You know, before this tour I never saw Brian wear a cap, no matter what time of day the show was or how hot. I think the only time (besides the fireman helmet) was him wearing a Kangol hat in like 1965 or so. Nothing to me pointing that out , but just saying it never occurred to me  til last month. It’s like seeing that photo of Carl in 1977 when he had shaved (and he had stubble). Just looked *different*

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2022, 11:32:27 PM »

I’m noticing several posts that mention how well Brian seemed to be during the 2021 shows. I have to say that I saw him in October 2021 and, while it was overall a really good show, I had the sense that he wasn’t very comfortable. I recall at the very end of the concert he said something to Matt and it just seemed like he badly wanted/needed to wrap up. I wondered at the time if it was going to be the last time I saw him, which gives an indication that his demeanour and overall presence was not what I would have hoped. His voice was definitely better in 2021 but he was not very engaged (at least at the show I saw). I guess what I’m saying is that I don’t necessarily agree that there has been a rapid decline in his demeanour or stage presence. I’ve seen him every year - literally - since 2015 including this summer’s tour, and certainly in the last couple of years I think there’s been an overall downward trajectory, albeit with some exceptions and blips every so often. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:33:42 PM by marcella27 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: August 11, 2022, 06:32:19 AM »

You know, before this tour I never saw Brian wear a cap, no matter what time of day the show was or how hot. I think the only time (besides the fireman helmet) was him wearing a Kangol hat in like 1965 or so. Nothing to me pointing that out , but just saying it never occurred to me  til last month. It’s like seeing that photo of Carl in 1977 when he had shaved (and he had stubble). Just looked *different*

Not to go OT, but there's at least one other shot of Carl where he kind of looks like that. Here's a shot from the 80s where Carl seems to have shaved and then was growing it back:

As for Brian, I could swear I saw him at some point in the 80s in a baseball cap for something or other, but who knows. He did occasionally wear cool and dumb hats over the years. Maybe none of these quality as a "cap" versus a hat. But Brian definitely only sparingly has worn whatever head coverings over the years. Here's a montage from a quick Google search:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 11, 2022, 09:33:07 AM »

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 09:36:13 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: August 11, 2022, 11:18:20 AM »

Wow..had never seen that picture of Carl! That was actually a good look for him too

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 11, 2022, 12:52:33 PM »

Brian had a cap on at some of the shows? I never saw that. Any pics?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: August 11, 2022, 01:15:28 PM »

Wow..had never seen that picture of Carl! That was actually a good look for him too

It definitely made him look *much* younger, especially for that 80s era. I suspect one of the reasons (beyond it just being the style of the time) that Carl grew the beard circa 1970 and mostly kept it through the years was he didn't want to have the baby face look. Eventually he clearly just preferred that look.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2022, 01:17:09 PM »

That's the '94 BB gig Brian watched from the wings. I suspect he may have been making at least a minimal attempt at disguising himself, or at least somewhat blending in.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2022, 01:49:09 PM »

Brian had a cap on at some of the shows? I never saw that. Any pics?
They’re on YouTube… I know he did at the show in the Woodlands and I think one more that I’ve seen. I’d get a screen cap but that means I’d have to see the footage again and frankly seeing Brian not doing so hot hurts me too much. Breaks my damn heart

send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2022, 05:08:34 PM »

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 12, 2022, 08:20:57 AM »

Are there more existent photos of Brian in a hat or Mike not in a hat? The yin and yang of those two  Smokin
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: August 12, 2022, 08:30:00 AM »

Billy mentioned above, "It’s like seeing that photo of Carl in 1977 when he had shaved (and he had stubble). Just looked *different*"

Could someone kindly upload that shot as I don't believe I've seen it before?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed the Brian-hatted and nearly clean-shaven Carl images. Most are brand new to these eyes.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:42:26 AM by jeremylr » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 12, 2022, 11:45:41 AM »

Billy mentioned above, "It’s like seeing that photo of Carl in 1977 when he had shaved (and he had stubble). Just looked *different*"

Could someone kindly upload that shot as I don't believe I've seen it before?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed the Brian-hatted and nearly clean-shaven Carl images. Most are brand new to these eyes.

It was the 1977 Grammys. Brian, Dennis, and Carl were presenting an award.

https://youtu.be/cT0DScltAmA

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: August 12, 2022, 07:25:47 PM »

I learn something entirely unexpected about the Beach Boys almost every day I'm on Smiley. I appreciate it, Robbie Mac!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: August 13, 2022, 02:27:16 AM »

Is that Mavis Staples with Brian and Al? Oh man, what a singer she is. I would love for Brian writing and producing a song with her.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 13, 2022, 06:05:04 AM »

Yes, that is the fabulous Mavis Staples with Al, Brian, and the captain!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: August 13, 2022, 08:25:48 AM »

Are there more existent photos of Brian in a hat or Mike not in a hat? The yin and yang of those two  Smokin

Yes.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: August 13, 2022, 12:53:05 PM »

“Mr Clean Living” looking high af and smoking a cigarette.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 13, 2022, 01:43:10 PM »

It’s his before TM phase. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 13, 2022, 01:43:41 PM »

Happy birthday billy!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx