gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:19:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2022 Tour Thread (Plus Archived 2021)  (Read 58323 times)
Galaxy Liz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2022, 05:54:21 AM »

I wrote this on Ang's FB Brian Wilson Tour page

when you get old you like to see that your life had meaning and seeing people enjoying your music must do that. Giving it up because you can't physically do it any more is not 'Oh good I can have a rest' but 'Oh God my life is over'. I just hope he can get better and find a quality of life in whatever way he can.

Significantly Paul von Mertens 'liked' it. Could be his personal opinion and nothing to do with how Brian feels, could be self serving believing he's not doing any harm by touring with Brian but I think many people who retire feel this.  I loathed my job and I felt it - giving up your raison d'être must be so much worse.  It used to be that you toured to sell the music but these days it's the other way around.

THIS! I think I've mentioned this before, but my grandfather-in-law had to give up woodworking in the last few months of his life. Woodworking was his passion, his art - he had a shop with so many specialty tools, he loved making things for himself and others. And he was forced to quit due to health reasons. It was heartbreaking to witness.

Which is why for the last 10 years I haven't given a hoot if Brian isn't jumping around on stage singing like he's 20 years old. I know some fans see Brian's detached performances as a sign to hang it up (and they've held this opinion for almost 10 years now). But really for the last 10 years he's been mostly always alert during performances, and he clearly wants to be there (otherwise he just wouldn't be there), and the people I've stood around and had conversations with after the shows are all blown away by how good the show was. Just irritating that these naysaying "fans" have complained and called for Brian to quit all these years, and they haven't the heart to realize that Brian is a complicated elderly dude who is out there trying to put on a show through fighting mental and physical demons...and that perhaps he is trying his hardest to keep the show alive because some part of him needs for that show to go on (both figuratively and literally).

Anyways, I am with everyone else in this thread: whatever is best for Brian's comfort and wellbeing is what should be done for the guy. Honestly he can still go on making great music, putting on a show here and there perhaps. It doesn't have to be the end of music for the guy, but perhaps a less active schedule would make Brian a bit more comfortable.

But that's for Brian and his doctor(s) to decide.

Absolutely right!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 05, 2022, 08:05:11 AM »

I would like to think we're all, or mostly all, adults here. We have two eyeballs, two ears and a brain. And if you are here you likely care about the music of The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson.

It's not projection or libel to ponder that Brian looks at best disinterested and at worst... I don't know... to be on stage these days. To think that or type it isn't born out of some bizarre "hatred" or "jealousy" for the man.

In fact, it's quite the opposite. To love some one, truly, you have to be honest. Wanting someone to be something they can no longer be is not fair to them or you. It's, frankly, delusional.

Maybe Brian still enjoys being with the guys and going out on all these dates, I don't know. I don't know Brian Wilson. His overall comportment would suggest otherwise, however.

But, what do I know...

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: August 05, 2022, 09:09:53 AM »

I would like to think we're all, or mostly all, adults here. We have two eyeballs, two ears and a brain. And if you are here you likely care about the music of The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson.

It's not projection or libel to ponder that Brian looks at best disinterested and at worst... I don't know... to be on stage these days. To think that or type it isn't born out of some bizarre "hatred" or "jealousy" for the man.

In fact, it's quite the opposite. To love some one, truly, you have to be honest. Wanting someone to be something they can no longer be is not fair to them or you. It's, frankly, delusional.

Maybe Brian still enjoys being with the guys and going out on all these dates, I don't know. I don't know Brian Wilson. His overall comportment would suggest otherwise, however.

But, what do I know...

What you’re saying is not the problem; it’s the people saying that  there are nefarious reasons behind Brian being “forced” to tour…and worse. I apologize for being vague but some of the things I’ve read on Reddit and especially Facebook would rank down there with the very worst things I’ve ever read on the internet.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 05, 2022, 09:31:44 AM »

But, what do I know...

What you’re saying is not the problem; it’s the people saying that  there are nefarious reasons behind Brian being “forced” to tour…and worse. I apologize for being vague but some of the things I’ve read on Reddit and especially Facebook would rank down there with the very worst things I’ve ever read on the internet.

This comment on Reddit made quite a lot of sense to me:
'So...the implication is that he isn't retiring, but they seem to be acknowledging that he is currently in no state to perform (as seen on his current tour with Chicago).
For his 2021 tour, Brian sounded better than he had in years. The time off during the pandemic seemed to have rejuvenated him. Then he gets a break before starting his tour with Chicago and yet right from the first show it was clear he was in no state to perform. ...What happened health wise between the end of his 2021 tour and the start of the tour with Chicago? Is it physical health, or mental health? Is he recovering from Covid or something? We may never know.'
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 05, 2022, 09:47:20 AM »

But, what do I know...

'So...the implication is that he isn't retiring, but they seem to be acknowledging that he is currently in no state to perform (as seen on his current tour with Chicago).
For his 2021 tour, Brian sounded better than he had in years. The time off during the pandemic seemed to have rejuvenated him. Then he gets a break before starting his tour with Chicago and yet right from the first show it was clear he was in no state to perform. ...What happened health wise between the end of his 2021 tour and the start of the tour with Chicago? Is it physical health, or mental health? Is he recovering from Covid or something? We may never know.'

This is only my theory, and it's just that... it's likely a lot less nefarious than some might think. I remember David Leaf once saying that Brian had 'turned the other cheek so many times he's got whiplash'.

I wonder if, maybe, Brian knows the shows mean a lot to everyone and he just kind of rolls with it. Not the's being forced to, but that instead of saying "I'm done guys", he's just kind of...rolls with it.

Maybe him ceasing touring right now is Al, Blondie, Carnie, Wendy (whoever) saying "Brian", "Dad", take a break.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2022, 09:55:37 AM »

But, what do I know...

This is only my theory, and it's just that... it's likely a lot less nefarious than some might think. I remember David Leaf once saying that Brian had 'turned the other cheek so many times he's got whiplash'.

I wonder if, maybe, Brian knows the shows mean a lot to everyone and he just kind of rolls with it. Not the's being forced to, but that instead of saying "I'm done guys", he's just kind of...rolls with it.

Maybe him ceasing touring right now is Al, Blondie, Carnie, Wendy (whoever) saying "Brian", "Dad", take a break.

You could be right. I suppose that Brian feels a lot of people are dependent on him and doesn't want to disappoint anyone. However, the interesting thing to me is that the comment on Reddit made reference to how good Brian sounded in 2021 (I haven't seen him since 2018 but I've heard similar reports from others). The relative speed of decline seems to suggest that this is health linked which is what the statement has told us, without going into much detail.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2022, 10:25:18 AM »

But, what do I know...

Would not surprise me in the least

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2022, 11:11:55 AM »

When someone hits 80, the decline in health can be sudden and completely unexpected. That's what happened with my dad. I'm not putting Brian down, but it's quite probable that he was feeling fine while the Chicago tour was in the planning stages. And then having gone through all the work to set it up, Brian probably felt obligated to get out there and do the show - despite feeling awful.
I hope the time off is good for him. He's surprised everyone by outliving his brothers, and who know, the man might still have a few aces up his sleeve.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2022, 12:40:19 PM »

But, what do I know...

" "
Sea of Tunes, I'd LOVE if the reason were this one. "Brian/Dad, take a break." How I'd love this. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2022, 01:48:25 PM »

But, what do I know...

" "
Sea of Tunes, I'd LOVE if the reason were this one. "Brian/Dad, take a break." How I'd love this. 

I quoted Carnie Wilson (from a 2014 interview) a couple pages back saying that her Dad does "whatever he wants" regarding touring and that she wishes he would take it easier.

Carnie is perhaps one of the few people who know Brian the best (though honestly I'm not sure how much time he actually spends with her), and if Brian truly did feel obligated to keep touring for the sake of his band-members, I feel like she would say something along those lines, instead of casting the "blame" solely on Brian. In that interview she seemed to be openly concerned about his active touring, so I just feel like if there was another reason other than Brian wanting to tour she would've called it out. Of course that interview is 8 years old, and things have changed since then.

Honestly I myself have thought a bit about the theory of Brian feeling obligated to tour, and it very well could be the case. But I am leaning more toward what Galaxy Liz posted - that it is Brian just trying to hold onto something special that he doesn't want to let go of.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2022, 03:57:49 PM »

Most likely , it’s a combination of the two.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 05, 2022, 05:57:07 PM »

Something happened during the break.

They took a week or so off around July 4. The shows up to then had been uneven, from reports, but you could see BW working hard. His 80th birthday show, which I saw, was more than fine. You could see the cracks, but they were papered over fairly well.

That being said, from all reports things worsened after that break. You can usually expect BW to catch fire at some point during a tour — it happened in 2019, there were some good reports last year. But it didn’t happen this time. Went the other way.

It’s not just physical, though. He’s going through some stuff, and it should be clear to anyone. That’s why it feels weird to discuss.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2022, 10:06:45 PM »

I saw Brian and band live in concert in October of 2021. His voice sounded good. He seemed engaged, and, in fact, introduced just about every song. I haven't seen much of the Chicago shows on YouTube, but there is a marked difference in the most recent shows and what I saw live last October. That being said, I agree with many of the commenters here. Whether or not Brian continues to tour is none of our business. I have not seen the Reddit thread, but many of the comments on Facebook and on YouTube have raised my ire, particularly those that say something to the effect of "Oh, he had to use a walker and assistants to get on and off stage! He shouldn't be touring anymore." I'm paraphrasing, of course, but anyone who has followed Brian and band in the last few years knows that this is nothing new. Brian entered and exited the stage the same way when I saw him in 2019. And what has that to do with his being able to tour? Nothing. What it does show is that some fans are uncomfortable with seeing that, which strikes me as somewhat ableist.

Sorry if this comment is all over the map. It's late and I need to get some sleep. I was just reading this thread and had to put in my two cents. Goodnight.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 06, 2022, 12:59:40 AM »

I saw Brian in concert on June 25 of this year. He was extremely uncomfortable. It was 102 degrees at the outside venue. He sang only a few lines of several songs and either Darian, Matt or Alan would jump in with the next line. Alan's voice was also kind of shot and husky. He shout-sang Help Me Rhonda and was extremely hoarse when talking to the crowd. My wife and I felt bad for both Alan and Brian. When Brian rose to leave the stage in his walker, you could see the pain in his face as he moved.

I look at it this way. I first saw Brian and the guys in 1978. I have seen them and talked to them numerous times since. If touring has become too taxing for Brian, then its time for him to rest and leave the road. He has given us so much. I am extremely thankful for all that I have gotten to experience with Brian live and behind the scenes.

Thanks Mr. Wilson (as someone once said in a song).
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 06, 2022, 01:10:07 AM »

They took a week or so off around July 4. The shows up to then had been uneven, from reports, but you could see BW working hard. His 80th birthday show, which I saw, was more than fine. You could see the cracks, but they were papered over fairly well.

That being said, from all reports things worsened after that break. You can usually expect BW to catch fire at some point during a tour — it happened in 2019, there were some good reports last year. But it didn’t happen this time. Went the other way.

It’s not just physical, though. He’s going through some stuff, and it should be clear to anyone. That’s why it feels weird to discuss.

This is a perceptive comment. Something has happened, we don't know what, but I think it unlikely to just being down to the ageing process, though no doubt that doesn't help. I'm sure that Brian finds the prospect of retirement sad in some ways and also think he will feel obliged to keep going for his fans and his band members. So he's conflicted as well which makes matters worse.

Patsy6 was also perceptive in stating that the comments about Brian using a walker show more about the commenters' prejudices than about whether Brian should be touring. Are they seriously suggesting that people with a disability shouldn't be allowed to continue to do their jobs? Brian is a musician, not an athlete.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 06, 2022, 09:36:21 AM »

I don't know what the overall conditions have been like for this year's tour schedule, but for men entering their 80s a summer tour is a brutal proposition even under the best circumstances. Travel is itself a major issue, and given that Brian has had chronic back issues for awhile now, this aspect in and of itself could be taking enough of a toll that the best course of action was to pull the plug. This also seems to have been one of the more poorly conceived tour setups for Brian, essentially playing second fiddle to a lesser group: it may have been sold to Brian etal as an "easier" gig, possibly with some economic perks. And it was a way to be out there in front of the public as some kind of recompense for not having a reunion tour for the 60th.

But none of that matters if Brian (or Al or Mike or Bruce) are putting themselves at risk by touring. And with COVID still an issue, they are doing so--even without taking into account any other health issues that may also be in play. We can all appreciate them for making the effort, but it's unreasonable to expect them to take health risks in an attempt to defy the realities of time.

This is one of those situations where "an ounce of prevention" may well be the best course of action. I hope that by having done this, they will have left open the possibility we may still get a proper farewell tour--not too strenuous, scheduled in the fall with dates later into the season in the warmer regions, and with some kind of attention to the portions of Brian's oeuvre that were being omitted/bypassed in this tour.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2022, 11:46:07 AM »

If I had to guess what is the most major factor upsetting him right now, I would bet that he’s obsessing over being so close to the end of his life.

Brian has said in interviews that the idea of growing old and dying scares the crap out of him. He really did not look happy in that video in which the members of Chicago presented him with the birthday cake. And that break might be when he was able to ruminate and it may have really hit him then.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:47:44 AM by send me a picture and i'll tell you » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2022, 12:41:20 PM »

If I had to guess what is the most major factor upsetting him right now, I would bet that he’s obsessing over being so close to the end of his life.

Brian has said in interviews that the idea of growing old and dying scares the crap out of him. He really did not look happy in that video in which the members of Chicago presented him with the birthday cake. And that break might be when he was able to ruminate and it may have really hit him then.

I strongly feel you’re correct; at the very least, it’s definitely a contributing factor. Hell, the pain from his back and decreased mobility  I’m sure is contributing as well . We think of the physical struggles but those have mental consequences as well.

Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2022, 02:46:31 PM »

I strongly feel you’re correct; at the very least, it’s definitely a contributing factor. Hell, the pain from his back and decreased mobility  I’m sure is contributing as well . We think of the physical struggles but those have mental consequences as well.

That still doesn't explain why he was relatively OK in 2021 but not now.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2022, 07:18:36 PM »

That still doesn't explain why he was relatively OK in 2021 but not now.
When the decline sets it, it can be very, very fast. As recently as 2019, my dad seemed fine for an 80-something. Something changed during 2020, particularly around November of that year; he was gone by February 2021.
No, I'm not predicting imminent death for Brian; but seeing the way he looked in the vids from the Chicago tour reminded me of dad at the end of his life. Too hard for me to watch.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2022, 10:55:55 PM »

Man. I was gonna start a thread a few weeks ago kinda saying something similar to this. I guess I either decided against it or forgot about it. But anyways yeah, I feel like that may be a reason why Brian has seemed so sad lately.

I mean, I get it. I'm 38, but I've felt like the above probably since like age 11. And knowing it's something that has concerned Brian for a long time, I'm sure it must mean something at 80. I guess, y'know maybe it's easier for the Mike Loves of the world, the Al Pacinos, the Paul McCartneys. They are all over 80, but none seem to act as if there is anything to worry about any time soon. Maybe they do and we don't know. We are all complicated people to put it simply.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 10:59:21 PM by Jim V. » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2022, 01:18:18 PM »

We also gotta remember that Brian’s lost a lot of people close to him over the years especially lately. I think today’s the anniversary of Nick passing , course Billy H as well, just right off the top of my head. There’s a lot of factors in play

positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 08, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »

Honestly, I feel like Brian has seemed down for awhile now. I've posted about it elsewhere here, but the Long Promised Road documentary just left me with a profound sadness at watching Brian grieve Dennis, Carl, and Jack.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 08, 2022, 02:30:38 PM »

Don’t forget that he was grieving Ronnie Spector while performing Be My Baby night after night.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: August 08, 2022, 02:40:08 PM »

Oh hell…that’s right

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx