gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:47:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2022 Tour Thread (Plus Archived 2021)  (Read 58377 times)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2022, 09:43:04 AM »

True, I was looking more at overall productivity than looking at successful solo albums. I have a lower bar I suppose when it comes to rating solo albums in some cases, and in most cases if they can get the album released and it has some good moments, I rate that as a relative success. Carl's albums for instance are kind of bland, but I rate them as successful in that it kept him busy, he sounded good, some of the songs were solid, and it showed a path he could have continued to follow and evolve. Same with Al's solo album. Even some of Mike's stuff. Certainly Dennis. Brian has of course been far more productive than the rest.

But, then we also have to say, depending on how we define success, that very, very few of any their solo albums, including Brian's, have been hugely successful critically or commercially. Some have done well with critics, and some in retrospect have seen greater appreciation. A few have had decent chart showings. And of course nobody ever generated a hit single. The closest they probably came to that was Celebration's "Almost Summer."

I think, especially as time goes by, and especially as we get into delving into the archives of 70s material, that it doesn't do anybody a lot of favors to downplay the talents of the other members. I think it's totally possible to subscribe to Dennis's assertion that "Brian is the Beach Boys", and also, without just blowing smoke and stroking egos in an unwarranted fashion, look at what we can maybe call some "genius aspects" to the other members as well. I don't think anybody, short of sometimes Mike and sort of Bruce, think anybody in the group's orb has ever been as talented as Brian. But they brought some genius moments to the table. Howie Edelson has recently spoken a lot about Mike's bass part on "San Miguel", and I think he has a number of moments like that. I think all of the guys do.

I think all of the guys, especially Dennis, Carl, and Al; their biggest flaw was how much they didn't tap into their talent and genius, and or didn't follow through on it. Al has had an amazing voice for decades, and he did almost NOTHING with it after being s**tcanned from the touring band in 1998. He should have had five albums out by 2012. Carl should have been asking Tom Petty to co-write stuff and convince Rick Rubin to produce him. Dennis obviously needed to get relatively clean and he could have produced a lot more.

I think a big part of this, tragically, is that Dennis and Carl, well, they just literally didn't make it through what were, for almost all the acts that hit it big in the 60s, the wilderness years. It's a huge generalization, yea, but it's also kind of obvious that the late 70s through the early 90s were a hard time for that whole generation of artists. Look at someone like Dylan - through the mid-to-late 70s he was still pretty much firing on all cylinders in a way that makes myths about the magic dying at the end of the 60s look kind of ridiculous to those of us who didn't live through it! Likewise, the Beach Boys through 1974; John, Paul, George, and even Ringo well into the 70s; and a host of other bands. By the late 70s into the 80s, with disco thriving than inspiring a huge backlash and punk drawing really directly on the spirit of bands like the Beach Boys but in a way those artists clearly couldn't identify with or understand, a lot of those artists were having trouble figuring out what their identity should be. They were still really young guys (Carl Wilson was like 34 in 1980, which should be prime years for anyone) but they obviously couldn't quite figure out how to use their talent and fit into the broader culture in the 80s. I mean, we take it for granted that all these 60s bands made kind of shitty music in the 80s, but there's really no reason that should have had to be true.

By the late 80s and early 90s, more and more artists were finding their way. The Traveling Wilburys were an important moment, I think, a band that managed to preserve its integrity, sound kind of timeless, but also fit into its moment. Dylan obviously roared back in the 90s. Rick Rubin and Johnny Cash provided another model for how to balance commercial success and artistic integrity as you aged. The Beach Boys participated in this moment too, of course, you get the Don Was documentary, the Paley Sessions, the Like a Brother project... but the band politics is so complicated that they don't quite manage to seize the moment in the mid-90s. And then Carl dies, which means that Brian has to do it on its own. He does! Brian Wilson's solo career post-1999 is a perfect example of a legendary 60s artist figuring out how to move forward while honoring their legacy. But I really suspect that if Carl had lived longer he would have embraced a world where Brian was creatively active and the music was taken way more seriously and the Mike Love approach would have been totally sidelined, but Carl got sick at the beginning of what we now call "legacy artists" figuring out how to navigate no longer being the center of the musical universe without cheapening their accomplishments or drowning in nostalgia. He just didn't get the chance for a second act.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 03, 2022, 09:47:37 AM »

Often I like to stop (over)analysing things and start just being blunt. The Beach Boys, and of course Brian Wilson, were not only not made for these times. They were, and are, far TOO GOOD for these times.

This is not an answer to BJL's excellent post, I wrote this before reading his post.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 09:51:40 AM by Zenobi » Logged
Galaxy Liz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 03, 2022, 10:06:28 AM »

I think Dennis and then Carl had talent but Dennis wasn't hungry for musical success in the way Brian was - he already had it through the group.  Carl probably was hungry but he didn't have as much skill.  Both of them came to music via Brian's interest.  Brian spent an age in his room listening and learning before he started and he carried on trying to learn.  They were just being carried along with his flow and learned some along the way enough to make them want to do their own music but not in the way Brian used chords in interesting and innovative ways (though what do I know about this stuff - it just sounds like that - nice but not blow your socks off).

I really meant Al and Mike.  Al does nice ordinary safe music.  My goose bumps never rise.  Mike couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.  His album was written by someone else and Kokomo by John Philips and others.

I remember someone talking about Jimi Hendrix and saying it wasn't just God given skill that made him good it was practice.  Whenever you saw him he was carrying a guitar and playing it.  Brian spent a lot of time listening to and studying music. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: August 03, 2022, 10:57:56 AM »

I’ll take the best half dozen tracks off of “A Postcard from California” (and not the covers) over a lot of Brian’s solo stuff. It doesn’t make Al nearly as talented. But it means he was/is capable of putting out good stuff.

I think this gets kind of weird comparing the entirety (I guess?) of the other members’ solo careers (or ability to write/create solo) to like Brian’s peak years. Post-1970-something, I become way less comfortable saying Brian’s ability (or willingness, etc.) to create great music really greatly trumps the others. It really becomes a question of what we’re talking about. Is “Don’t Fight the Sea” better than “Little Children?” Is “Moonshine” better than “Mona?” Is “I’m Begging You Please” better than “Pitter Patter?”

People like Carl and Al especially really got a lot through exposure/osmosis. But that shouldn’t be understated. Some folks stand next to geniuses and take little or nothing away. Carl and Al (and Dennis, though he also operated as well on his own sort of motor), sometimes without seemingly even fully knowing it, got a lot out of working along side Brian. They could have done a lot more on the writing and producing side. And if nothing else, they (or their agents/managers) should have been using their voices more, getting them record deals and setting them up with writers or co-writers and producers. Carl did this a bit; but he stayed a bit too insular with mostly just on co-writer (presumably writing lyrics).

One of the most jaw-droppingly strange things to happen in Carl’s career was to see someone like Tom Petty afford Carl such great reverence, and have Carl sing on a few of his tracks, while Carl was then going out on the road singing backround vocals on “Long Tall Texan” and “Summer in Paradise.” I think Carl’s talent was sometimes untapped. His issue appeared to be motivation to do his own stuff, and also perhaps a questionable taste/judgement as far as his style, as the “Beckley-Lamm-Wilson” stuff is very mid-90s/synthetic/AC type of stuff. I dig a few of those songs, and I would have loved to hear the Beach Boys overdub and re-work a couple of them.

I think there’s just so much stuff to consume from these guys’ careers, that I’ve had plenty of times where I’m fine taking a detour and not focusing so much on just Brian, and appreciate the other stuff the guys did. Yes, some of it is just product that we only consume because it’s BB-related. But frankly that pertains to actual BB and Brian product sometimes too. Cut to purchasing the “Curious George 2” soundtrack….

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: August 03, 2022, 11:13:21 AM »

I brought up what Jon Stebbin's witnessed, and I'm not defending that incident at all (or disputing what Jon saw). However, if such abuse were an ongoing thing I think we would have heard about other incidents by now. You know how many people roam backstage and around dressing rooms before these shows? Over the last 25 years (over 800 shows) I think we would've heard something other than what was in Stebbin's book.

IIRC the person who did it isn’t affiliated with Brian anymore either, if it’s whom I think it is. If so, that was back in 1999

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: August 03, 2022, 12:41:53 PM »

Jon Stebbins' FAQ book had a section on these issues regarding Brian touring, and I think he handled the topic very well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2022, 11:51:24 PM »

That about Jimi Hendrix reminded me that Miles Davis used to jokingly complain that since somebody had given a soprano sax to John Coltrane, nobody had managed to take the damn thing out of his mouth.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 11:52:54 PM by Zenobi » Logged
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 04, 2022, 04:09:07 AM »

Just saw this: https://1027wkbh.com/2022/08/01/brian-wilson-scraps-all-upcoming-dates/

'Brian Wilson has scrapped all of his remaining summer and fall dates. Although no official reason was given, a statement cancelling his September 22nd show at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium read: “Due to unforeseen health reasons Brian Wilson will not be performing at the Ryman on September 22.⁠​ BRIAN IS BUMMED TO MISS THIS SHOW BUT LOOKS FORWARD TO SEEING HIS FANS ON THE ROAD AGAIN.”' [my caps]
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 04, 2022, 04:18:16 AM »

Just saw this: https://1027wkbh.com/2022/08/01/brian-wilson-scraps-all-upcoming-dates/

'Brian Wilson has scrapped all of his remaining summer and fall dates. Although no official reason was given, a statement cancelling his September 22nd show at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium read: “Due to unforeseen health reasons Brian Wilson will not be performing at the Ryman on September 22.⁠​ BRIAN IS BUMMED TO MISS THIS SHOW BUT LOOKS FORWARD TO SEEING HIS FANS ON THE ROAD AGAIN.”' [my caps]

That’s the same statement given to the Rock The Lake organizers.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 04, 2022, 04:31:03 AM »

That’s the same statement given to the Rock The Lake organizers.

Sorry to repeat. It does seem to suggest that Brian hasn't made a decision to retire yet but of course that depends on the health problems. The link gives a couple of recordings of Brian's comments that are worth a listen.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:36:39 AM by Angela Jones » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: August 04, 2022, 06:16:56 AM »

Please don't crucify me for saying this folks but based on his overall health status and well-being during this tour, his cancelling these remaining shows is probably for the best.  If whatever health issues he's dealing with are treatable and manageable enough (for an 80-year-old Brian Wilson anyway) for him to comfortably get back on the road and be more engaged, then more power to him.  But his current status during those shows was inevitably a big concern for many concertgoers even when you factor in his lifelong mental health issues.   I just want the guy to spend his remaining years comfortably doing what he wants to do.  But his health should come first.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 06:24:59 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: August 04, 2022, 06:46:02 AM »

For better or worse, I think people need to also consider the possibility that his “stage presence” at recent gigs actually doesn’t have much or anything to do with the canceled dates. I think it’s quite possible that Al (and apparently Robert Lamm?) getting Covid at the tail end of the tour may have led Brian’s team to realize that it’s better to be overly-cautious right now. Even with boosters, Brian is probably even more at risk of serious Covid complications than Al or someone else of a similar age who seems to be otherwise in good health.

I think this scenario would be both for better and worse, because I do think his stage presence is something they should be looking at too. But, I don’t say this particularly with glee or doom because it is a complicated issue, but I could actually envision the show going back on the road at some point, perhaps early next year, if everybody is otherwise in the same shape and Covid isn’t having any appreciable spikes.

I’m not into telling anybody what to do. But from the fan perspective, I’d be fine if Brian stopped with the full-blown touring. If he can muster some additional performance strength, then maybe a show here and there with Al and Blondie could still be enjoyable. I dunno.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 04, 2022, 07:48:12 AM »

Please don't crucify me for saying this folks but based on his overall health status and well-being during this tour, his cancelling these remaining shows is probably for the best.  If whatever health issues he's dealing with are treatable and manageable enough (for an 80-year-old Brian Wilson anyway) for him to comfortably get back on the road and be more engaged, than more power to him.  But his current status during those shows was inevitably a big concern for many concertgoers even when you factor in his lifelong mental health issues.   I just want the guy to spend his remaining years comfortably doing what he wants to do.  But his health should come first. 

Couldn't agree more.

For better or worse, I think people need to also consider the possibility that his “stage presence” at recent gigs actually doesn’t have much or anything to do with the canceled dates. I think it’s quite possible that Al (and apparently Robert Lamm?) getting Covid at the tail end of the tour may have led Brian’s team to realize that it’s better to be overly-cautious right now. Even with boosters, Brian is probably even more at risk of serious Covid complications than Al or someone else of a similar age who seems to be otherwise in good health.

I think this scenario would be both for better and worse, because I do think his stage presence is something they should be looking at too. But, I don’t say this particularly with glee or doom because it is a complicated issue, but I could actually envision the show going back on the road at some point, perhaps early next year, if everybody is otherwise in the same shape and Covid isn’t having any appreciable spikes.

I’m not into telling anybody what to do. But from the fan perspective, I’d be fine if Brian stopped with the full-blown touring. If he can muster some additional performance strength, then maybe a show here and there with Al and Blondie could still be enjoyable. I dunno.

I completely understand that this is a possibility, but I really hope that those in charge of the tour (management), his bandmates who witness this first-hand, and those who look after him medically would've raised some concern about Brian's condition. While Brian has always had his own aloof personality onstage, I am completely aware that the recent videos show him being far more distant and non-participative for a bit of the shows.

Y'all know I defend Brian and his management to ridiculous levels, but I really do try to look at things from a logical perspective, and one just can't ignore how Brian has been acting at times on this current tour. While you may be 100% correct that Covid was the only driver behind the tour cancellation, I would really hope that Brian's mannerisms on this tour raised a lot of red flags to those around him and it was also a driver behind the cancellation.

That being said, I really hope that someone in or near the band could clarify these things for us, or that Brian's management would release a more detailed statement in the near future regarding Brian. Clearly his fans are worried about him, and all our speculation only drives different theories that could either be correct or incorrect. Better to just give us the straight dope than having us armchair quarterbacks bickering about what could or could not be happening.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 04, 2022, 11:58:13 AM »

Please don't crucify me for saying this folks but based on his overall health status and well-being during this tour, his cancelling these remaining shows is probably for the best.  If whatever health issues he's dealing with are treatable and manageable enough (for an 80-year-old Brian Wilson anyway) for him to comfortably get back on the road and be more engaged, than more power to him.  But his current status during those shows was inevitably a big concern for many concertgoers even when you factor in his lifelong mental health issues.   I just want the guy to spend his remaining years comfortably doing what he wants to do.  But his health should come first. 

I completely agree. Whilst it would be great to see Brian again if he feels up to it, his health and welfare are surely the first priority of all of those who love his music.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: August 04, 2022, 12:25:42 PM »

100% agreed. I think it was also a concern to his family and band as well which is why the rest of the dates were cancelled. I think we’re at the point where regardless of how much Brian wants to stay active, at this point he can’t do it anymore. Hopefully that will change, but if it doesn’t it was a hell of a great ride. At the end of the day , his health and happiness is what’s truly important

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 04, 2022, 12:32:07 PM »

I only hope Brian is well. Touring? I hope not in this situation, for Heaven's sake.
But, whatever. I am not sure I agree with anybody about this issue. Not any more.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: August 04, 2022, 12:36:15 PM »

I am not sure I agree with anybody about this issue. Not any more.

I’m a little confused…what do you mean?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: August 04, 2022, 01:23:10 PM »

Just to be clear, my post above about factoring Covid risks into the cancellations is not meant to deflect from Brian's condition on stage. If anything, it paints a more dire scenario if his performing condition on stage isn't being looked at and everybody is only looking at Covid (Covid risk should obviously be looked at as well). Hopefully, all of these factors are being looked at by all involved.

I suppose, at the moment, it's more important that Brian's off the road and resting. Whether that's happening with the possibility of being able to get in better shape to tour, or just relaxing and resting and recouping at home and staying off the road (either wholly or mostly), I think this is a rare case where BB fans across the spectrum are pretty united in concern and some relief now that neither Brian nor fans are staring down additional concert dates right now given how things have been going.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: August 04, 2022, 01:36:41 PM »

That being said, I really hope that someone in or near the band could clarify these things for us, or that Brian's management would release a more detailed statement in the near future regarding Brian. Clearly his fans are worried about him, and all our speculation only drives different theories that could either be correct or incorrect. Better to just give us the straight dope than having us armchair quarterbacks bickering about what could or could not be happening.

Definitely. Now none of us need specifics (none of our business) but something addressed to the fans would be not just appreciated, but quite frankly the decent thing to do for the true fans who *do* care about Brian. That’s something that bothers me…most of what we find out is from third hand sources, whether it’s a quote of a quote being mentioned online, or “gossip “ from people with an axe to grind.  That’s why you have people on Reddit and Hoffman making ridiculous claims, and comments from moderators elsewhere badmouthing Brian. Sometimes a little communication would go a long way; the speculation is not doing anyone any good .

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 04, 2022, 11:55:07 PM »

Billy, maybe I am a bit confused myself. While I despise those who keep on with conspiracy theories, and comments that are possibly libelous as you rightly say, on the other hands I am quite firmly convinced that Brian should have never resumed touring in this situation. The latest footage of Brian on stage is really heartwrenching. I just hope this kind of stance is not met any more with "Brian himself wants to keep on touring, who are you to say he should stop?"
As I find myself in a kinda middle ground about this very divisive issue, I am not sure I agree with anybody (or, if you prefer, anybody agrees with me).
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: August 05, 2022, 12:09:17 AM »

Billy, maybe I am a bit confused myself. While I despise those who keep on with conspiracy theories, and comments that are possibly libelous as you rightly say, on the other hands I am quite firmly convinced that Brian should have never resumed touring in this situation. The latest footage of Brian on stage is really heartwrenching. I just hope this kind of stance is not met any more with "Brian himself wants to keep on touring, who are you to say he should stop?"
As I find myself in a kinda middle ground about this very divisive issue, I am not sure I agree with anybody (or, if you prefer, anybody agrees with me).

Actually, you and I have the exact same view, that’s why I was confused.  It’s not even about the performing…I hate to see him go through whatever it is that’s up. It breaks my damn heart

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 05, 2022, 12:35:08 AM »

At least most people "here" have their hearts in the right place, and are sincerely concerned about Brian.
On the other hand, I just read something in "that other place" and I have no words. What is wrong with those people? And I am not talking about the usual couple professional trolls every forum has. No, there it's the majority. They have dropped their masks. I'll try making myself a favour and stop altogether reading that forum. Beneath contempt.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 12:37:50 AM by Zenobi » Logged
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 05, 2022, 01:01:53 AM »

I must admit I have written many times that the touring is Brian's decision, invariably in response to people who have said he should stop. Some of those who state he shouldn't be touring still go to his concerts which makes no sense to me at all.

I agree it is heartbreaking seeing some of the footage of the latest shows but we don't have all the facts.  He may have been ill and suffering effects of that, or perhaps touring is too much for him now. We don't know which of those things is true. More information would be helpful. I know it's not exactly our business but it affects HIS business - his prospective future touring. If people were informed that it is hopefully a short term problem it would give some reassurance and perhaps prevent some of the more unpleasant speculation.
Galaxy Liz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 05, 2022, 01:03:55 AM »

I wrote this on Ang's FB Brian Wilson Tour page

when you get old you like to see that your life had meaning and seeing people enjoying your music must do that. Giving it up because you can't physically do it any more is not 'Oh good I can have a rest' but 'Oh God my life is over'. I just hope he can get better and find a quality of life in whatever way he can.

Significantly Paul von Mertens 'liked' it. Could be his personal opinion and nothing to do with how Brian feels, could be self serving believing he's not doing any harm by touring with Brian but I think many people who retire feel this.  I loathed my job and I felt it - giving up your raison d'être must be so much worse.  It used to be that you toured to sell the music but these days it's the other way around.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 05, 2022, 04:52:22 AM »

I wrote this on Ang's FB Brian Wilson Tour page

when you get old you like to see that your life had meaning and seeing people enjoying your music must do that. Giving it up because you can't physically do it any more is not 'Oh good I can have a rest' but 'Oh God my life is over'. I just hope he can get better and find a quality of life in whatever way he can.

Significantly Paul von Mertens 'liked' it. Could be his personal opinion and nothing to do with how Brian feels, could be self serving believing he's not doing any harm by touring with Brian but I think many people who retire feel this.  I loathed my job and I felt it - giving up your raison d'être must be so much worse.  It used to be that you toured to sell the music but these days it's the other way around.

THIS! I think I've mentioned this before, but my grandfather-in-law had to give up woodworking in the last few months of his life. Woodworking was his passion, his art - he had a shop with so many specialty tools, he loved making things for himself and others. And he was forced to quit due to health reasons. It was heartbreaking to witness.

Which is why for the last 10 years I haven't given a hoot if Brian isn't jumping around on stage singing like he's 20 years old. I know some fans see Brian's detached performances as a sign to hang it up (and they've held this opinion for almost 10 years now). But really for the last 10 years he's been mostly always alert during performances, and he clearly wants to be there (otherwise he just wouldn't be there), and the people I've stood around and had conversations with after the shows are all blown away by how good the show was. Just irritating that these naysaying "fans" have complained and called for Brian to quit all these years, and they haven't the heart to realize that Brian is a complicated elderly dude who is out there trying to put on a show through fighting mental and physical demons...and that perhaps he is trying his hardest to keep the show alive because some part of him needs for that show to go on (both figuratively and literally).

Anyways, I am with everyone else in this thread: whatever is best for Brian's comfort and wellbeing is what should be done for the guy. Honestly he can still go on making great music, putting on a show here and there perhaps. It doesn't have to be the end of music for the guy, but perhaps a less active schedule would make Brian a bit more comfortable.

But that's for Brian and his doctor(s) to decide.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx