gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:36:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2022 Tour Thread (Plus Archived 2021)  (Read 58336 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2022, 08:22:44 AM »

Glad Blondie’s singing Wild Honey again. He absolutely kills on that song and I never thought his voice fit Feel Flows which he’d been doing instead for a while.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2022, 08:42:34 AM »

Glad Blondie’s singing Wild Honey again. He absolutely kills on that song and I never thought his voice fit Feel Flows which he’d been doing instead for a while.

And on a tour where you’re playing the outdoors, you want stuff that rocks and the live Wild Honey checks that particular box off.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2022, 08:42:51 AM »

Not really surprising since Al usually gets little to no input on these setlists and doesn't get a ton of lead vocals, but you'd think they'd consider doing "California Dreamin'" since the '86 BB recording is very prominently featured in the most popular TV show at the moment, "Stranger Things." I know Brian's never done it with Al at his shows, but Al and Brian sang it on the 50th Beach Boys tour, and it was actually kinda cool to hear Brian take a few Carl lead spots on that tour.

I could easily envision Al having no idea the song is even in the show. He didn't do the song at his last couple of recent "Family & Friends" gigs either. But nevertheless, it's probably the most Al-centric song to be licensed and featured this prominently in a TV show or movie.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2022, 09:17:02 AM »

I really hope someone here posts a review of one of the Beachago shows (and yes, that’s how I’m referring it). Very surprised to see such a short set list from Chicago and also surprised they played first. Maybe they are repeating the format of previous Beachago tours where they would alternate which band played first or second. Does anyone know if there was any cross-pollination of the bands, so to speak?  I’m hoping they’ll swap leads on a couple of songs or do an encore together…
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2022, 09:55:47 AM »

I really hope someone here posts a review of one of the Beachago shows (and yes, that’s how I’m referring it). Very surprised to see such a short set list from Chicago and also surprised they played first. Maybe they are repeating the format of previous Beachago tours where they would alternate which band played first or second. Does anyone know if there was any cross-pollination of the bands, so to speak?  I’m hoping they’ll swap leads on a couple of songs or do an encore together…

When I looked at Setlists.fm, it said the Chicago set that was listed was incomplete.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2022, 09:57:13 AM »

From the setlist I saw Chicago only did like 8 songs, one of which was the new song opener. Can that be right? If I was a Chicago fan there to them perform, I'd be really ticked off!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2022, 10:51:01 AM »

I've seen a longer setlist for Chicago on another message board.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2022, 11:28:12 AM »

Yeah, I know some Chicago songs run longer than some early BB songs, but that setlist seems way too short. I can't imagine they didn't do significantly more songs than that.

One of the obvious drawbacks of setlist.fm; it's all user-generated and some people just enter partial setlists from memory. Which then encourages the weird pedantic, obsessive people who squat on that site 24/7 waiting to find something to correct, to edit a 20-song setlist like 37 times.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
parlay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2022, 01:47:04 PM »

The set list that was published on Ultimate Classic Rock for Chicago was a partial set list.    My question to all is who played first?

thx
Parlay
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2022, 03:22:26 PM »

I've seen a longer setlist for Chicago on another message board.

They apparently did Wishing You Were Here with the BW Band.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2022, 05:12:46 PM »

Just saw an instagram video of Matt singing God Only Knows last night. It seems Brian is no longer singing God Only Knows in his live shows. PS:Matt does do a great job!

https://instagram.com/stories/hey.its.sooz/2856277194799179710?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=NmZiMzY2Mjc=
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 05:15:33 PM by baseball95 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2022, 06:43:06 AM »

The set list that was published on Ultimate Classic Rock for Chicago was a partial set list.    My question to all is who played first?

thx
Parlay

I'd have to guess Brian opened and Chicago closed. That would make sense in terms of the advertising materials and what the expectations would be from the audience.

send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2022, 12:34:03 AM »

« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 03:34:38 AM by send me a picture and i'll tell you » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2022, 06:01:12 AM »

Good Vibrations:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v7FbtF3OTvU

Brian seems rested and focused. During the last tour his spirit had pretty much left his body by this point in the show.

Looks like that video was just posted, but comes from the December 2018 Christmas tour. It would help if the people posting the videos put the date in the actual video title instead of only in the description; I've run into this myself, seeing what I think is a new video only to find someone has randomly just posted a live video from several years back.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2022, 06:38:35 AM »

Added a new date in November in Mexico. The gaps in the various tour schedules for any substantive reunion activities is closing quickly.

louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2022, 01:27:20 PM »

Added a new date in November in Mexico. The gaps in the various tour schedules for any substantive reunion activities is closing quickly.

This are great news for us Mexican fans, Brian visited Acapulco when he played in Trópico festival 6 years ago.
I hope to see him (and Al, Blondie and the band) for the second time, I couldn’t be happier!
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2022, 06:59:46 PM »

Good Vibrations:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v7FbtF3OTvU

Brian seems rested and focused. During the last tour his spirit had pretty much left his body by this point in the show.

Looks like that video was just posted, but comes from the December 2018 Christmas tour. It would help if the people posting the videos put the date in the actual video title instead of only in the description; I've run into this myself, seeing what I think is a new v ideo only to find someone has randomly just posted a live video from several years back.

Thanks. I actually searched for videos posted in the last day, and that’s what
I got.  Angry

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2022, 09:34:57 PM »

June 7, Phoenix, AZ:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=evx9dWcKpHw

Quite a decline from last year, I’m afraid. Particularly in the second half.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2022, 12:40:43 AM »

I was at the Concord Pavilion show last evening (June 11).
I arrived a bit late and certainly missed at least a couple songs.  This is what I heard, from memory, probably slightly out of order....

Don't Worry Baby
Wild Honey
Long Promised Road
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
Darlin (with guest horns from Chicago)
Be My Baby
Heroes & Villains (with cantinq section)
I Can Hear Music
Sail On Sailor
Good Vibrations
Help Me Rhonda
Surfin USA
Love & Mercy

A few comments...  God bless Brian.  Things appear to have gotten a bit more difficult for him than when I last saw him & Al & Blondie live in 2019, and I'd be lying if I said that Brian's vocals are what they were 5 or 10 years ago, but hey the man is a week shy of 80, and he's still out there doing his thing. And as long as he wants to do it, I'm more than happy to support him and his great band.  The crowd was generally more Chicago-oriented than Beach Boys-oriented, but for the most part the crowd was very respectful and warm toward Brian. And it's always nice to be among a few hardcore BB/BW fans here and there in the audience (e.g., to the guy in sitting up front in a Smile shop t-shirt, well-played... ).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 12:42:31 AM by juggler » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2022, 06:31:48 AM »

Is Brian or Chicago playing first?
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2022, 06:51:54 AM »

Is Brian or Chicago playing first?

Brian. He’ll be opening  for the entire tour.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2022, 12:54:35 AM »

Brian is a legendary giant of popular music in a way that the Chicago guys really aren't, so on one level it seems a little weird, on paper, for him to be the opening act.  Having seen the show, though, it makes total sense.  By playing first, Brian obviously can call it a night much earlier than if he played 2nd.  And let's face it, in 2022, more of the audience is there to see Chicago than  the Brian-Al-Blondie act.  Ultimately, though, ignoring everything else, it makes sense for Chicago to go 2nd just on the basis that their act is much more of an extravaganza than the Brian-Al-Blondie act.  And I mean, MUCH MORE.  They've got video montages and flashing lights and special effects. And it's quite the spectacle.  For the average person in the audience, the Brian-Al-Blondie act would seem like an anticlimax just on the basis of presentation. With respect to Brian's show, I'm very much reminded of Dennis Wilson's famous quote, "The music is the superstar of the group."  And that's still the case. The focus is on doing justice to the songs rather than being showmen.  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 12:57:02 AM by juggler » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2022, 06:15:15 AM »

Brian is a legend. But in terms of the market, Chicago is a much bigger name.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2022, 05:59:49 PM »

When Brian opened for Paul Simon many years ago, I left after Brian did his set out of respect for him.  And I like Paul Simon, but Brian should never open for anyone… He’s BRIAN FREAKING WILSON!!!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2022, 07:22:28 PM »

If it was the Beach Boys as a band, and just a couple Chicago guys touring under the name Peter Cetera, I guarantee you Cetera would be opening.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx