gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:18:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2022 Tour Thread (Plus Archived 2021)  (Read 58319 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2021, 10:06:13 PM »

For a post-C50 show, Brian sounds excellent! The rest seems to have done him good.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2021, 10:49:29 PM »

Really don't agree with sending Brian out on tour given current circumstances

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2021, 12:13:10 AM »

Brian sounds the best he has in several years absolutely but does anyone find it criminal that Blondie has more leads than Al now and the only new song they add is It’s Ok a song Brian has said makes him have bad memories? Their set lists have become so stale except for the that brief something great from 68 tour
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2021, 04:39:32 AM »

Brian sounds the best he has in several years absolutely but does anyone find it criminal that Blondie has more leads than Al now and the only new song they add is It’s Ok a song Brian has said makes him have bad memories? Their set lists have become so stale except for the that brief something great from 68 tour

I do like that they're incorporating Blondie more into the show. Al should have more leads than what he's currently having though.

I also think that they should give Brian some slight vocal tuning on these live shows, it's not a bad thing
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:43:09 AM by twentytwenty » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2021, 06:11:12 AM »

The setlist isn't too bad considering it's only a two-show run for their first shows in a year and a half. In the past when they've done a one-off or very short string of shows after a long lay-off, the setlists have not had like a bunch of new stuff or deep cuts. I doubt they did like weeks of rehearsals just for two shows. I'm surprised there's stuff like "Add Some Music" and "Wake the World" for shows like this. It's hard to call this a full meat-and-potatoes setlist when Blondie Chaplin is singing two songs from "Surf's Up" in the middle of the show. And "It's OK" *is* a weird surprise.

Al has always weirdly been underutilized for leads at Brian shows, ever since he joined up. They gave him more leads overall as time went by, but considering his voice is in better shape than any surviving BB, you'd think they'd give him a few more to sing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 06:51:14 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2021, 06:21:23 AM »

Here's the majority of "It's OK":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUsO5DLOHtk&list=FL0dftRhJ76dCyJthC4OcDRw&index=2

Can't tell if it's supposed to be a Matt lead or if he's just taking it over because Brian's not singing. Kinda seems like the latter as the verse starts. I dunno. The band and Matt sound excellent. Brian looks completely blank. I'm sure he's less so when he's more engaged singing a lead. But at this stage, if they want to do gigs, I'm not opposed to it being more of a "Brian Wilson Band" concert and have Brian just come on stage for a set of songs where it's mostly his leads.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 06:51:28 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2021, 08:10:55 AM »

It's OK is a nice surprise. Brian has stated that the song brings back bad memories but at the same time he has often called 15 Big Ones one of his favorites. Personally I love this song and I think it's one of his best 70s productions, with that massive synth bass riff and the powerful "Find a ride!" tag. Beautiful stuff! That said, it's obvious Brian didn't enjoy himself during the song's performance posted by HeyJude - to say the very least...
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2021, 08:12:52 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUsO5DLOHtk&list=FL0dftRhJ76dCyJthC4OcDRw&index=2

Can't tell if it's supposed to be a Matt lead or if he's just taking it over because Brian's not singing. Kinda seems like the latter as the verse starts. I dunno. The band and Matt sound excellent. Brian looks completely blank. I'm sure he's less so when he's more engaged singing a lead. But at this stage, if they want to do gigs, I'm not opposed to it being more of a "Brian Wilson Band" concert and have Brian just come on stage for a set of songs where it's mostly his leads.

The problem with that is with Brian’s mobility issues, it’s easier for him to not leave the stage. But yeah, it’s uncomfortable to watch when he just sits still like that. It’s a shame he doesn’t even seem to attempt to sing backing vocals that much anymore.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2021, 08:50:31 AM »

The problem with that is with Brian’s mobility issues, it’s easier for him to not leave the stage. But yeah, it’s uncomfortable to watch when he just sits still like that. It’s a shame he doesn’t even seem to attempt to sing backing vocals that much anymore.

Yeah, I'm sure it's difficult to have him coming and going a lot. But I think they could set aside one mini-set or half-set of Al/Blondie/Matt/Darian songs where Brian can chill out. That would only require one additional instance of leaving and coming back (or none at all if they treated that mini-set as essentially an opening act where they moved all those songs to the beginning). It's not an ideal situation, but it might be better if they're intent on continuing to tour.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2021, 09:01:51 AM »

The crowd loved it based on what I saw and heard, and "Love & Mercy" was fantastic. "Add Some Music" was another highlight. I enjoyed Blondie on "Long Promised Road", it's great they're pulling out some deeper cuts.

For me it was great just to see this band, Brian, Al, and Blondie on stage performing again. I think a certain complacency set in a few years ago where it seemed this show would always be there and available, and when it wasn't for so long and the possibility was real that we'd never see it again, it hit home that all great experiences are fleeting and have to be grabbed when you can grab them because they can disappear in a heartbeat. So seeing this show reminds me of what a great shared experience it always is to see these guys on stage and one not to be taken for granted. As the song says..."it won't last forever".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CakeMix
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2021, 12:06:08 PM »

Matt was talking to Brian and pointing at the teleprompter after the song started but Brian didn't budge. He and Al were signalling to the sound guy all night for one issue or another.

Earlier during Sail on Sailor Brian jumped in singing the first line. Al laughed and looked at Blondie. I thought we were going to hear a cool double lead with Brian and Blondie but Blondie started singing the first verse again and Brian just did some occasional chorus back ups vocals.

I agree with others in that Brian sounded really good. However by the 60 minute mark he seemed really tired, just pooped. I was surprised he was able to pull off Love and Mercy as good as he did.

The place was packed. I thought the last minute requirements for proof of vaccine or negative test would affect attendance.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2021, 03:15:05 PM »

Yeah, they best and easiest way to utilize it is to them starting the show, taking a small break while Brian joins them for the second - smaller - set to where he sings his favorite songs to close it. I don't think anyone would mind this, I would actually rather go to a show that's set up that way, just let Jardine and Blondie get the spotlight at the beginning while ending in a big crowd pleasing crescendo with Brian taking over the show
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2021, 04:52:28 PM »

I also think that they should give Brian some slight vocal tuning on these live shows, it's not a bad thing

Problem with that is, if Brian is more than a quarter step off (which he often is), the autotune will flip him to the wrong note altogether, and it sounds like butt. (Remember the first few months of C50?)

Somebody would need to be at the board constantly reprogramming the autotune to the scale of the song currently being sung— diatonic plus any intended accidentals.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:00:20 PM by send me a picture and i'll tell you » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2021, 04:55:48 PM »

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:59:41 PM by send me a picture and i'll tell you » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2021, 07:23:46 PM »

Is it possible that Al doesn't WANT to do a lot of lead singing? It makes no sense to me. Imagine if we still had Carl with us, and all he did in concert was sing God Only Knows, Good Vibrations, and strum an unplugged guitar.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »

Any other decent clips out there?

"It's OK" is less than encouraging. I can't imagine that Brian said "yeah, let's do that one!" at this stage in his life. It's also not shoved in the big home-run stretch of greatest hits at the end of the show. At least Mike has the sense to blend it into the opening surf medley where it's among similar songs and suits the theme.

...and while the theme of the "tour" is the greatest hits, it would be great if this group abandoned that a bit and dug into the Feel Flows set even more so than throwing Blondie two leads from it. The possibilities are literally endless. They could do a show of JUST songs from the new set.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2021, 01:01:55 AM »

Have said the same before, and if you want proof it’s not a good idea check out The Doobie Brothers. Less than one week into a reunion tour a fully vaccinated Michael McDonald is out with Covid.
For any older artist it’s just nuts tbh.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 01:09:51 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2021, 06:42:09 AM »

Is it possible that Al doesn't WANT to do a lot of lead singing? It makes no sense to me. Imagine if we still had Carl with us, and all he did in concert was sing God Only Knows, Good Vibrations, and strum an unplugged guitar.

I don't know that he actively doesn't want more leads. I think he just doesn't pursue it. He might suggest a song now and then. But he doesn't seem to burst into the room and ask for let alone demand more leads.

But he certainly can and has carried a show to much larger degree. He sings a lot of leads at his own solo shows, even with Matt there with him.

I think the deal is that these tours are not "Wilson, Jardine, & Chaplin" tours. It's still billed as a Brian Wilson show, with Al and Blondie as special guests. Now, I'd say Al in particular has reached a point in Brian's band where he functions pretty darn close to how he did during his years with the Beach Boys up through 1998. He's up front next to Brian, and serves as a right hand man for Brian to some degree the way Jeff Foskett used to on stage (I think Matt and Darian also function in this fashion as well). But he's clearly not getting in there and dictating a lot about the shows, either in terms of setlist or leads.

I think Al's 2006-2007 short stint with Brian's band didn't go quite as smoothly for a lot of reasons, and since rejoining post-C50, they have found a much better groundwork for Al being there.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2021, 08:54:11 AM »

I’ve been saying for a long time that they should be equally billed, especially when it became apparent that Al was not just a special guest and a permanent fixture in the touring band. Maybe it’s because they’ve built up the name “Brian Wilson” to be a sort of brand at this point. Al seems to be a really humble guy and I give him a lot of credit for that. But they’ve been touring together for almost a decade now, I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t be “Brian Wilson & Al Jardine” on the marquee. But like I said, Al is humble and it seems like he wants to be supportive of Brian above everything. I don’t think he particularly cares that much if he gets a decent amount of lead vocals spots, though I agree that I think he should be more heavily featured.

twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2021, 09:10:16 AM »

I’ve been saying for a long time that they should be equally billed, especially when it became apparent that Al was not just a special guest and a permanent fixture in the touring band. Maybe it’s because they’ve built up the name “Brian Wilson” to be a sort of brand at this point. Al seems to be a really humble guy and I give him a lot of credit for that. But they’ve been touring together for almost a decade now, I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t be “Brian Wilson & Al Jardine” on the marquee. But like I said, Al is humble and it seems like he wants to be supportive of Brian above everything. I don’t think he particularly cares that much if he gets a decent amount of lead vocals spots, though I agree that I think he should be more heavily featured.

Yeah I totally get that they're trying to cash in on the Brian Wilson brand name more than anything else. But a show billed as "The Brian, Al & Blondie Show" would still carry the Brian Wilson name and I don't think they would lose any attendance, I would rather think that they would win some people because as I stated earlier, I would much rather go to that kind of show than the one they're doing now, I can't be all alone feeling like this
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 09:11:06 AM by twentytwenty » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2021, 09:57:10 AM »

I do think it's just a branding/prestige thing. Al seems to be fine with it.

Some venues have on occasion just gone ahead and billed as Brian and Al. That's how it looks on my ticket for a one-off San Francisco show in 2015 (which Blondie was also at of course):

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2021, 07:22:32 PM »

Rolling Stone Shared this clip on Facebook earlier of GOK from Sunday evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yae5rHkPEeE

It's a typical lackluster delivery from Brian. Meandering through a spoken style of singing, stopping to scratch his nose, missing cues...but then STUNNING the crowd and leaping up for that falsetto part on the round at the end of the song?!?!?! Where did THAT come from!?! Love it!

It seems to me, that Brian needs new challenges. He seems most engaged on stage when doing something he's never done, or at least doing it in a different way.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2021, 06:52:26 AM »

Added the setlist for the 8/31 to the top post. Looks like it was the same setlist with one addition ("Do You Wanna Dance").

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2021, 09:30:19 AM »

As a fan who has attended their shows, this is how I see it: Brian Wilson & Al Jardine, with special guest Blondie Chaplin, backed by one of the best bands in the business.

Brian and Al reconnecting at El Camino College in 1961 was ultimately the genesis of the entire Beach Boy thing.  As such, I think it's really great to see the two of them together on stage after all these years.

At the same time, I understand that Al Jardine isn't a name known to the general public in the same way that Brian Wilson is, so it's a marketing decision.  And God bless Al, he's not an egomaniac, so it is what it is.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 09:32:05 AM by juggler » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2021, 05:51:52 PM »

As a fan who has attended their shows, this is how I see it: Brian Wilson & Al Jardine, with special guest Blondie Chaplin, backed by one of the best bands in the business.

Brian and Al reconnecting at El Camino College in 1961 was ultimately the genesis of the entire Beach Boy thing.  As such, I think it's really great to see the two of them together on stage after all these years.

Agreed, but I still think Al should receive co-billing.

Since I haven't seen B&A since 2017, can someone remind me which songs are Al leads in this tour (besides Help Me Rhonda, of course)?

I agree. Having Brian, Al, and Blondie out there is pretty scary to me, for their health and for the audiences. Even if Brian’s singing better, I don’t feel safe enough to go to the closest show near me.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 08:29:12 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx