gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:58:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alan Boyd Thread  (Read 245450 times)
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: February 14, 2007, 06:09:22 PM »

Mr. Boyd, do you know anything about this? :

"They (The Beach Boys) also have a new, as yet untitled, album ready for release, possibly by summer, which contains 14 songs." From a link (http://www.smileysmile.net/index.php/upcoming_releases_from_bbs_and_mike_love) from the bottom of the page. Is this the new "Warmth of the Sun" compilation?

Thanks! Smiley

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: February 14, 2007, 10:51:15 PM »

I've learned not to trust news reports. Al probably told a reporter that it was going to be a Beach Boys reunion album or something.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: February 14, 2007, 11:58:01 PM »

"Even though the last of the band's four No. 1 hits was "Kokomo" in 1988, they're still recording. Last summer, the Beach Boys released an album through Hallmark entitled "Songs From Here and Back."

They also have a new, as yet untitled, album ready for release, possibly by summer, which contains 14 songs."

Seeing as Songs From Here And Back contained precisely no new BB recordings, I'm highly dubious about the accuracy of the rest of this 'scoop'. Any album to carry the BB banner cannot be new recordings unless Mike, Bruce, Brian & Alan have been doing something covert. It's not WOTS, that's got about 30 tracks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 15, 2007, 01:04:27 AM »

"They (The Beach Boys) also have a new, as yet untitled, album ready for release, possibly by summer, which contains 14 songs." From a link (http://www.smileysmile.net/index.php/upcoming_releases_from_bbs_and_mike_love) from the bottom of the page. Is this the new "Warmth of the Sun" compilation?

Thanks! Smiley

Surely this is simply the projected "Mike Love Not War / Unleash The Love" ongoing project - under the guise of the Beach Boys Band, tho' it'll undoubtedly appear as a 'solo' effort to avoid the legal issues.  Undecided

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 15, 2007, 02:15:28 AM »

It's not WOTS, that's got about 30 tracks.

Has information been released about this? Can you share?

“We live in divisive times.”
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: February 15, 2007, 08:03:21 AM »

Thanks! Smiley

Surely this is simply the projected "Mike Love Not War / Unleash The Love" ongoing project - under the guise of the Beach Boys Band, tho' it'll undoubtedly appear as a 'solo' effort to avoid the legal issues.  Undecided

I don't think it is, because they discussed that too: "Love himself is set to come out with an album that harkens back to the India days of the Beach Boys and Beatles, called "Pisces Brothers."

Buy hey, who knows?

AGD: Yeah I didn't think it would be WOTS, I figured it would be more than 14 tracks.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 15, 2007, 03:30:34 PM »

I don't know anything about a new 14 track BB album, but the new Capitol comp is finished and will be out in the spring.  28 songs, a solid collection that should complement Sounds of Suummer nicely, and hopefully this new CD will get some of the folks who enjoyed that album deeper into the BB catalog.  Nothing unreleased on this line-up, but there are some gorgeous new stereo mixes....
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: February 15, 2007, 04:08:35 PM »

Hey Alan, did you see the following post on the blueboard?

I have unreleased video from 1969

(posted by Terry Kath on February 14, 2007 at 9:51 pm)

Hello everyone.

Can anyone please direct me to the most active Beach Boy related message boards or forums to discuss this?

This board seems to be very active, but out of respect to Brian, I would rather post further at another site.

Here's some general information on this video:

It was professionally filmed at the Olympia Theater in Paris, France on June 16, 1969. It was filmed in B&W and to my knowledge, it was never aired anywhere in the world.

The performers include:
Mike Love
Carl Wilson
Dennis Wilson
Al Jardine
Bruce Johnston
unknown bassist/keyboardist (same guy)
7 piece "orchestra" from the UK

The Set List:
Darlin'
Wouldn't It Be Nice
California Girls
I Can Hear Music

It's about 1 hour long and there are no commercials or breaks.

I can't seem to find any place on the web that mentions this concert or any indication that this footage has surfaced.

Your help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
TK

More info

(posted by Terry Kath on February 14, 2007 at 10:04 pm)

I'm not sure why the board edited my post. I posted the entire set list and it only displays the first 4 songs.

I'll try this again.

Here's the entire set list:

Darlin'
Wouldn't It Be Nice
California Girls
I Can Hear Music
(medley)
Warmth Of The Sun
Don't Worry Baby
Please Let Me Wonder
Surfer Girl
In My Room
(end medley)
I Get Around
Sloop John B
Do It Again
Break Away
The Nearest Faraway Place
Cotton Fields
Barbara Ann
God Only Knows
Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
Good Vibrations
(encore)
Johnny Be Good w/Special Guests
Paul Revere & The Raiders
CUTS OFF>>>

I told that guy to come over here but I don't know if he will...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
XY
« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2007, 12:23:34 AM »

As much as I enjoy the original mono mixes, I can't wait to hear the new stereo versions. "Please Let Me Wonder" - any chance you tell us the names of other titles?
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2007, 01:01:18 AM »

Yes plese, I want to hear too! Smiley

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: February 16, 2007, 01:17:54 AM »

I'm glad we don't have to wait an eternity for more EH/Hawthorne-eque sets to get new mixes.  I'm really looking foward to this now.  Any tracklistings yet?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 01:46:50 AM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
XY
« Reply #386 on: February 18, 2007, 01:16:05 AM »

Olympia Theater in Paris, France on June 16, 1969. It was filmed in B&W and to my knowledge, it was never aired anywhere in the world.

Check out "God Only Knows". Very sweet performance if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxI-P9CL9OQ
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 18, 2007, 02:40:54 AM »

Just like I saw them on June 14 in Berlin, Germany. Brings back wonderful memories! Thank you!

Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 19, 2007, 12:57:17 PM »

Thanks for that link!  I'd love to see this whole concert, and others like it from this time.  I'm dying to see Mike Love in his guru outfit singing "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Barbara Ann".  (I wonder if he ever did "Long Tall Texan" in that get-up?!)

Alan, I hope you've got, or are trying to get hold of this video.  It's priceless.

Love and merci,  Dan Lega
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 19, 2007, 02:16:14 PM »

Actually, it turns out that the French National Film and Television Archives hold a number of Beach Boys performances from the 1960s and 70s - that's definitely on our list of things to do....

Alan
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: February 20, 2007, 04:58:01 AM »

Hopefully Henri Langlois & co took better care of videotape than they did film negative.  Undecided

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 20, 2007, 05:57:57 AM »

Alan - with all the collecting of film and videotape, and cataloguing of tapes, are there plans for more archival releases ala Hawthorne or the Endless Harmony DVD?  A more extensive "Anthology" type history of the beach Boys?  Or are the plans for this material to be used on the upcoming website for downloads and limited edition CD's and DVD's ordered through the website? 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 25, 2007, 04:25:41 PM »

Mr. Boyd, a few of us have been discussing songwriting methods on a thread at the below link. I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=3526.0

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2007, 04:39:04 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up, Luther - that's a cool thread!

Alan
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 29, 2007, 01:23:34 PM »

Hey, I was just listening to little surfer girl on the box set and realized (not for the first time) that BW is asking for instruments that aren't on the mix we hear to be turned up in his earphones. So, is there more to this song that a different mix could reveal? Also, do we know who this was intended for (The Honeys,I presume), as the pov seems to be of a girl .Sorry if this has already been covered...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
MBE
« Reply #395 on: March 29, 2007, 10:37:56 PM »

Watched Sights of Summer recently and it is done pretty well. A quick semi unrelated question. Why hasn't Monster Mash from the "Lost" concert been used anywhere and also are there any plans for any more DVD's soon?
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 30, 2007, 11:12:19 AM »

The publisher for "Monster Mash" wanted a great deal of money for a sync license for the "Lost Concert" DVD, and since the publishing licenses all had a "favored nations" clause (meaning that none of the owners of songs in the show were willing to take any LESS money than any of the other publishers) the song had to be deleted from the DVD edition of the film.  Otherwise the licenses would have so prohibitively expensive that SabuCat wouldn't have been able to release the DVD at all.

There is talk about some sort of DVD that may come out in the wake of WARMTH OF THE SUN, but nothing definite has been worked out as of yet.  So far we've just had some coversations about possible content...

Alan
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: March 30, 2007, 11:33:18 AM »

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:16:51 AM by Ken.W » Logged

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 30, 2007, 11:44:31 AM »

Hey, I was just listening to little surfer girl on the box set and realized (not for the first time) that BW is asking for instruments that aren't on the mix we hear to be turned up in his earphones. So, is there more to this song that a different mix could reveal? Also, do we know who this was intended for (The Honeys,I presume), as the pov seems to be of a girl .Sorry if this has already been covered...

I figured this was another song for "Bob and Bobbie", which is Bob Norberg and his girlfriend.  (Brian calls out to Bob during this take, doesn't he?  And what was the other song that Brian produced for Bob and Bobbie?)  To me, this song, "LIttle Surfer Girl", seems to be a duet for a guy and a girl, not just a song for a girl.  Listen to it again and see if you don't pick up that a guy would sing one line and a girl would sing another.  I'm hoping Bob Norberg, who apparently has some old tapes of he and Brian that have never been heard, has a more complete take of this song.  Of course this is the time to ask Alan Boyd if they've approached Bob Norberg about archiving his tapes!

Love and merci,    Dan Lega
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 30, 2007, 11:50:16 AM »

I figured this was another song for "Bob and Bobbie", which is Bob Norberg and his girlfriend.  (Brian calls out to Bob during this take, doesn't he?  And what was the other song that Brian produced for Bob and Bobbie?)  To me, this song, "LIttle Surfer Girl", seems to be a duet for a guy and a girl, not just a song for a girl.  Listen to it again and see if you don't pick up that a guy would sing one line and a girl would sing another.  I'm hoping Bob Norberg, who apparently has some old tapes of he and Brian that have never been heard, has a more complete take of this song.  Of course this is the time to ask Alan Boyd if they've approached Bob Norberg about archiving his tapes!

Love and merci,    Dan Lega

That brief little snippet has always been a mystery to me.  Brian sings something like "get on your board my big surfer boy, ride all the waves that come by, I'm on my board little surfer girl..."  So you're right it does seem like a duet, especially since the first two lines are sung in a higher voice than the "little surfer girl" line.  What gets me though is that those few lines are all we have on the GV box, and when it fades on there you can tell that Brian is still singing something.  Those lines can't be all there was to it. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx