gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:44:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alan Boyd Thread  (Read 247459 times)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #350 on: September 07, 2006, 09:18:31 AM »

Alan,

Getting back to Been Way Too Long….what sort of additional recording was there during the KTSA sessions?  Did the Linett assembly from the boxset cover all the bases, or is there other fragments?

Also, since the question kind of got missed, have you or anyone gotten your hands on Durrie Parks’ Smile acetates?

Thanks!

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 10, 2006, 11:38:49 PM »

I remember that interview (I'm sure I still have it somewhere) - it was 'When GIrls Get Together' that was mentioned.
The original interview was in NME, 1980, and no title was mentioned, just Nick saying he asked Brian about a song he particularly liked on the album and Brian , er, responded somewhat forcefully.

It was WGGT, and I think I remember why. Nick Kent also reviewed the KTSA album for NME, either the same issue or one immediately before, and said that the only track he really liked was WGGT. The great thing about Nick's BB reviewing in this era - apart from the fact that he was about the only NME writer in the late 70s remotely interested in the BB! - was that he actually knew very little about the background to the archive tracks - Good Time on BBLY being another example (none of us did really until around 1980 when info began to emerge), and his thoughts were totally based on what he heard and very revealing as a result!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #352 on: September 11, 2006, 01:13:46 AM »

My memory is that he reckoned it was their best album since Sunflower...
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 27, 2006, 01:23:32 PM »

Hi, Alan!  It seems like a very long wait for the Beach Boys Central Store to open!  I hope the delay is because you plan on opening up with a bang.  I thinking of something along the lines of instrumental only and vocal only mixes for every album to start the sale?   Am I right?    3D    (Or am I just looking through rose colored glasses?)

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 08:08:18 AM by Dan Lega » Logged
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 27, 2006, 02:36:07 PM »

Hey Alan... killer lead on "Long Promised Road" on Adam's myspace...  can't wait to hear the album.   Keep in touch bud, hope all is well   Smiley

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 13, 2006, 04:31:01 PM »

I don't want to sound impatient, but any word on the web site yet?
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: October 24, 2006, 08:37:30 AM »

Hi Alan,

Just a quick question, I was listening to disc two on the Hawthorne CD last night and the interview segments with Bruce on Wild Honey and Al & Brian on Dennis. Were these extended / left over clips from the Endless Harmony film?

If so, how much of the interviews from Endless Harmony ended up on the cutting room floor? There must have been loads that you could have added in on the DVD for extras, for instance the group discussing Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, So Tough etc?!!

Were there any edits / cuts that you really didn't wanna make to the film?

Zander

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 07, 2007, 09:59:52 AM »

Hi Alan, any chanche chancing the picture of beachboyscentral. Been looking to this for about 6 months. Any info when the site will be up.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 11, 2007, 01:09:40 PM »

Hey, I was wondering if you, or anybody has any information on the Sping demo "Walls". I assume that's Rocky singing, but I also here a good-voiced Brian singing during the 2nd half of the tune. When does this track date from? Any other info would be great. P.S. Sorry if this was covered somewhere already!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: January 12, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »

Hey, I was wondering if you, or anybody has any information on the Sping demo "Walls". I assume that's Rocky singing, but I also here a good-voiced Brian singing during the 2nd half of the tune. When does this track date from? Any other info would be great. P.S. Sorry if this was covered somewhere already!

The vocals are by  composers David Sandler & Brian. The recording dates from late 1971/early 1972. Ish.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 12, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »

What's the deal with Sandler? He seems to be the least known of Brian's collaborators, yet he helped write sme amazing songs on the Spring album. Does he still exist? What else did he do. Where did he come from? Etc. etc.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 12, 2007, 02:34:55 PM »

The Carlin book has a bit about him, including interviews, I believe. And if I'm not mistaken, it says he's a native Minnesotan, as all truly brilliant people are...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: January 13, 2007, 01:12:31 AM »

Still active with the band Northern Light. Check out their website.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ethan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 13, 2007, 08:35:20 AM »

Just listened to the sound clips for thier album '49th Parallel'.... sounds great, anyone (AGD?) heard the whole thing?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: January 16, 2007, 04:51:40 AM »

Hi Alan,
just thought I ask you if the Brian-Al-shows were recorded (filmed) and will be released? Maybe a whole concert and not just the Pet Sounds-part ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 26, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »

Hi Allen,
Not sure if you are the right guy to answer this, but I was listening to my local oldies station when Cal.Girls came on. But not just any CG, the stereo CG! I've also noticed the radio playing GOK in stereo, and maybe a few others. What I was wondering is; Where do most radio stations get there tunes from? Do they get updated material as it becomes available, or is it up to each station to stay up on these things? Just curious...

Wilsonista
« Reply #366 on: January 26, 2007, 01:54:02 PM »

I worked in radio for a short time. It depends. Sometimes the record companies send stuff out - other times the stations get music from comps CDs. Onee station I worked for didn't even have proper CD albums, just a series of comps that had radio edits of songs. Hell sometimes a station or network (these days) will even do their own edit, like the gawdawful butchering of  "Piano Man" I had heard on ABC's Oldies radio network yesterday! Computer Smash!

It's cool in a way to hear BB hits in stereo on the radio, but I do wish that they would play the corrected stereo mix of WIBN!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: January 26, 2007, 02:52:29 PM »

Hi Allen,
Not sure if you are the right guy to answer this, but I was listening to my local oldies station when Cal.Girls came on. But not just any CG, the stereo CG! I've also noticed the radio playing GOK in stereo, and maybe a few others. What I was wondering is; Where do most radio stations get there tunes from? Do they get updated material as it becomes available, or is it up to each station to stay up on these things? Just curious...

Here's a radio station that plays only the "Still crusin"-version of IBN.

BTW Happy birthday Alan !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
martin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 05, 2007, 02:47:18 PM »

assuming this turns out to be some massive online catalog that allows you to pick and choose whatever you want for a price will smile be a part of that?

does brian and his medical staff have the end all say all final word on any possible vintage smile session release or can he be out voted on releasing locked up material from that project?

alan (or anyone really) assuming the smile sessions will be released through the bb central project is their any reason to assume that we will be hearing anything new? i'm assuming we're at the brick wall so to speak with hearing vintage smile sessions and any future official release through this project will just be better quality mixes that are superior to the vast bootleg collection that is available.

alan are you guys going outside of the vaults to look for bb material? hopefully you have some sort of sting operation plan in order for getting after the durrie parks tapes. hopefully before i die, i will get a chance to listen to whatever she has had tucked away for all these years.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: February 07, 2007, 10:21:39 AM »

Medical staff?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
martin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 09, 2007, 07:48:46 PM »

Medical staff?

oh it is just a little jab, the guy doesnt seem all there most of the time so i assume he has a small group of people who pitch him ideas or to help the decision making process move more quickly.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 09, 2007, 08:04:39 PM »

The Brian and Al shows were recorded, and we had a small crew filming/documenting the rehearsals at UCLA, although the shows themselves weren't filmed (the cost of clearing the venue, union regulations, etc, was just too high).    I don't know of any plans at the moment to put something together from all that, but for the time being I'm just glad we got some solid documentation!

Smile Sessions?  I haven't heard of any developments on that front....

And yes, we do go outside the vaults to locate and accquire material, both audio and video/film.   We're about to do some preservation work on some old film elements that have been lent to us, and we've happily purchased safety masters of missing audio reels in the past. 

Regarding radio - I imagine that they end up using the latest CDs they can get a hold of (or are sent to them by the label).  My guess is that SOUNDS OF SUMMER has become the "Source Master" for most oldies stations playing BB tunes, and that's a project where it was decided to go for stereo wherever possible.  Incidentally, the new Capitol comp coming out in May features some sparkling new stereo mixes of a handful of 1964-65 tracks.    Wait til you hear Please Let Me Wonder on there....

David Sandler is still around - the magazine OPEN SKY had a great interview with him a couple of years ago.

STILL working on the website.  Lots and lots of legal, publishing, rights things that are being worked out at present.
martin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 12, 2007, 09:25:56 AM »

Smile Sessions?  I haven't heard of any developments on that front....

Sad

oh well, good luck with the rest of the site.

i assume you mean legal developments so with that said anything exciting happening with the listening and organization going on with the smile tapes or have you not even touched them as of yet?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:29:45 AM by Zacc M » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 14, 2007, 07:28:04 AM »

The new Capitol comp is Warmth of the Sun?  Will there be a CD/DVD edition as was done with Sounds of Summer - love to see more of the Central Park 1971 concert as a bonus DVD, or other 60's clips.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 14, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »

This is great news, Alan! Thanks for sharing!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx