gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 10:41:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alan Boyd Thread  (Read 247661 times)
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2006, 11:19:45 AM »

What's even more remarkable about that song is the fact that ALL I WANNA DO, unlike much of the album, was done entirely 8 track (it had been produced for the unreleased "Last Capitol Album" in 1969).  Interesting note:  for that song, the documentation from the original recording session at Gold Star on 3/19 1969 states the song was produced by Carl Wilson....

Alan
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2006, 06:10:20 PM »

<< I'm going to check if any famous albums or tunes used one of these punch card synths... >>

Seems to me there was a Todd Rundgren album...can't remember which one, but it was from either 1974 or 1975...that had a credit on the inner sleeve for "keyboard computer".  I think.  Maybe it was "Intuition" or something like that?

Here's a very cool website...Simon's Hall of Electric Pianos...

http://www.alphabeck.co.uk/hoep/epianos2.html
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2006, 12:34:31 PM »

What's even more remarkable about that song is the fact that ALL I WANNA DO, unlike much of the album, was done entirely 8 track (it had been produced for the unreleased "Last Capitol Album" in 1969).  Interesting note:  for that song, the documentation from the original recording session at Gold Star on 3/19 1969 states the song was produced by Carl Wilson....

Oh wow...so is there any documentation as to what was done at Gold Star on All I Wanna Do and what was done at the house?  Or did any of the Gold Star session make it to the final release at all?  It certainly sounds pretty "housey" to me.

Such a fascinating period, the post 20/20 sessions.  It's really hard to keep track of what was happening when and where.  Like Dennis cutting the Slip on Through version 1 at Gold Star, then again, anew at the house.  Until I found out that was a seperate session, I thought that had been started at Gold Star and finished off at the house.
Jason
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2006, 12:36:41 PM »

Alan, what is the status of demos in the Beach Boys' tape vault? Are there a lot?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2006, 08:46:45 AM »

I'm not surprized that Carl produced All  I Want to Do - it's my understanding that Carl and Dennis produced ALL of the tracks on Sunflower with the exception of Add Some Music, which was the sole track Brian produced from start to finish.  Does this jibe with what you've uncovered, Alan?
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2006, 09:48:08 AM »

Whoa whoa whoa. Are we talking about the rockin' "All I Want To Do" or the gorgeous peaceful "All I Wanna Do"?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2006, 10:23:10 AM »

Wanna.  Shame on the Beach Boys for calling two songs virtually the same thing.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2006, 05:53:29 PM »

I remember Steve Desper talking about he and Brian working on All I Wanna Do and trying to achieve what Brian had in mind.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2006, 05:17:03 AM »

I'm not surprized that Carl produced All  I Want to Do - it's my understanding that Carl and Dennis produced ALL of the tracks on Sunflower with the exception of Add Some Music, which was the sole track Brian produced from start to finish.  Does this jibe with what you've uncovered, Alan?

I believe Bruce produced "Deirdre" and "Tears In The Morning".

C-Man
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2006, 06:30:16 AM »

You really need to get a hold of Steve Desper's book - yes, it's short, yes, in parts it's fearsomely technical... and yes, it's an invaluable additon to the bookshelf of anyone who consideres themselves a BB fan. Do not pass Go... do not collect $200... buy this book.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2006, 08:57:19 AM »

Seconded!

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2006, 03:34:51 PM »

Alan, can you tell us anything about the "Spanish guitar" sounding instrumental piece that has been linked to the Smile era?  Is this tape still in the Beach Boys archive?  Anything on the tape box that would indicate a date or what the piece was intended for?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2006, 07:15:28 PM »

Alan, I made a post about this, and it was suggested I ask you.
    Question about audio on Knebworth DVD
« on: Today at 09:40:45 AM »

What the hell is up with Mike's voice? It sounded electronically processed. Was a pitch correction unit used, because at parts I kept getting flashbacks of Cher's "Believe".
Seriously, Mike's vocals on the Knebworth DVD sound very unnatural.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2006, 11:24:54 AM »

Alan, can you tell us anything about the "Spanish guitar" sounding instrumental piece that has been linked to the Smile era?  Is this tape still in the Beach Boys archive?  Anything on the tape box that would indicate a date or what the piece was intended for?

Damn good question! Hopefully Alan knows what were talking about. It's an organ piece with a flamenco-ish guitar strummed over top.

Also, Alan, we were discussing who played what instrument on the Love You album and on what songs did Brian play all or most of the instruments. Is that sort of information available in the archives?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 11:27:50 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2006, 08:32:24 PM »

This is a very good question. There a other leftover SMiLE bits that could use some scrutiny -- such as Carl's Tones, Dennis' experiments, the Vegetables outro, He Gives Speeches, etc.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2006, 05:31:42 AM »

This is a very good question. There a other leftover SMiLE bits that could use some scrutiny -- such as Carl's Tones, Dennis' experiments, the Vegetables outro, He Gives Speeches, etc.

One thing about "SMiLE"...there was way too much material recorded during that "era" for one 40-minute LP.  The 2004 version clocks in at some 47 minutes. so we're probably getting more than we would've gotten in '67.  Lots of stuff would've by necessity fallen on the cutting-room floor ("He Gives Speeches" for one, I'm sure).  And the Carl and Dennis stuff was, of course, their own experimentation (possibly Brother Records related), not intended at all for "SMiLE".  But would be interesting to hear, nonetheless.  Dennis' "I Don't Know" (surely a working title) is supposedly making the rounds, but since it's an instrumental, can anyone verify that it is the real thing?  It sounds breezy, light and pleasant (like many a mid-'60s pop instrumental...think Sergio Mendez & Brazil '66), but not profound.

C-Man
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2006, 10:51:15 AM »

I guess I should have said "SMiLE-era bits" but the question still stands. You can throw Teeter Totter Love into that query as well.

But, I'm particularly interested in the Vegetables outro. The way Brian sings the Barnyard Billy section in IJWMFTT fits it almost like a glove! I've always had a feeling that the two went together. Just speculating, but if Alan was to sing it along with that section, I think he'd see what I'm talking about.  Grin

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2006, 12:25:46 PM »

Hi Alan,
do you have some infos about some 15 Big Ones-outtakes? On a Radio-broadcast (plus interview with Carl) before the album was released they played a different, and imho, much better version of "Rock'n'Roll music". At the beginning of that interview you could also hear a studio recording of Carl singing a song that wasn't on this album. In fact I have a feeling that the best recordings were left off of the album. "Shake rattle and roll" for example. Did you find anything good? Maybe that version of "Rock'n'Roll music" ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2006, 02:09:04 PM »

That was the singler version of RNRM, and is available on the 3rd Greatest hits volume put out by C(r)apitol "The Best of the Brother Years".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2006, 02:12:20 PM »

Haven't come across any 15 BIG ONES outtakes wiith a Carl lead vocal, but then again I haven't heard all of the outtakes yet... Shake Rattle and Roll is pretty good - Al really likes that one, too... Running Bear is interesting and fun in a "Peggy Sue Meets Shortenin' Bread" kinda way, and might bring a new dimension to the phrase "politically incorrect"...  We do have an OK copy of that earlier, longer mix of Rock and Roll Music with the funky organ part in the line that was eventually cut ("so keep-a rockin' the piano....") that we got from an outside source, haven't yet found it on any of the 1/4" reels here...

Incidentally, we found another version of Sea Cruise, recorded by Dennis, circa 1971.  Not quite finished but a lot of fun.

Alan

(By the way, I haven'tg yet come across the "Spanish Guitar" track amongst the Smile tapes, but then again, we haven't listened to all of those yet either)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2006, 02:38:18 PM »

That was the singler version of RNRM, and is available on the 3rd Greatest hits volume put out by C(r)apitol "The Best of the Brother Years".

No, he's talking about a completely different mix, with "wild" guitars and an extra verse (see Alan's response above).  There's an inferior (yet fun to listen to) copy of that radio broadcast in circulation.
According to Elliott, this alternate (earlier) mix was Brian's, wheareas the released version was mixed by Carl.  Yes, the single mix is different still.

C-Man
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2006, 02:41:02 PM »

No, he's talking about a completely different mix, with "wild" guitars and an extra verse (see Alan's response above).  There's an inferior (yet fun to listen to) copy of that radio broadcast in circulation.

C-Man

Yep !  Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2006, 02:52:56 PM »

Wow...now THAT sounds interesting!

Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2006, 05:58:08 PM »

As for the LOVE YOU question above, the track sheets only indicate what the instruments are for those songs - not who's playing, unfortunately.

But I CAN tell you the backing vox on HONKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY are Brian, Dennis and Billy....

And the backing vocals on LET'S PUT OUR HEARTS TOGETHER are : D - M - A - B.  Dennis, Marilyn, Alan & Brian, perhaps?

Alan
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2006, 09:22:48 AM »

A 1971 Sea Cruise?  That's interesting - I thought the version released on Ten Years of Harmony was from 1976/a 15 Big Ones oldie outtake, produced by Brian.  Is this version produced by Dennis or Brian?  Was it a Dennis solo LP outtake, or meant for the Beach Boys (I guess Carl and the Passions?).
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx