gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:33:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone once again chooses top 500 albums, Pet Sounds is once again at #2  (Read 6162 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 02:27:21 PM »

Sunflower not making the list is exactly why we need the feel flows box set, people need to be reminded of just how good it is

Amen

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 03:48:35 PM »

Forever Changes at 180? No respect for this list, really. Leonard Cohen way down there too ...

Never been a fan of Rolling Stone or the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, or any of these kind of elitist protectors of the boring old guard ... now with an apparent Pitchfork-influenced pandering. Rolling Stone will never admit that More of the Monkees is better than any Beatles record. The fact that they list an album (Please Please Me) at number 39 in one installment, then omit it from the entire top 500 in the next shows how laughable the rankings are.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/10-classic-albums-rolling-stone-originally-panned-101316/jimi-hendrix-are-you-experienced-1967-101413/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 03:53:01 PM by DonnyL » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »

Sunflower not making the list is exactly why we need the feel flows box set, people need to be reminded of just how good it is

Truth.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 07:15:15 PM »

Pet Sounds, BWPS, Sunflower, Wild Honey, Surf’s Up, etc all deserve top 500 ranking...

Personally, Hums of the Lovin Spoonful and Warren Zevon’s Excitable Boy or self-titled album are glaring omissions.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 07:57:17 PM »

Pet Sounds, BWPS, Sunflower, Wild Honey, Surf’s Up, etc all deserve top 500 ranking...

Personally, Hums of the Lovin Spoonful and Warren Zevon’s Excitable Boy or self-titled album are glaring omissions.

Most glaring omission to me is If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears by the Mamas & Papas.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2020, 10:39:55 PM »

Tangentially related because it's from the same magazine in the same week ...

In addition to PS getting voted #2, the very same magazine, Rolling Stone just did a story about Mike's "Beach Boys" playing drive-in concerts:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beach-boys-drive-in-concert-shows-1065445/?fbclid=IwAR2-tx10zJ5ykkurDfTe3XQLAU1yN13u65fdMd80xidP03S3zKBHW9DTwbA

The article completely omitted any mentioning of Feel Flows, yet went out of its way to mention rumors of a BBs reunion. Maybe BBs reunion rumors sell more magazines or get more clicks by comparison to FF mentions, I don't know.

It's interesting to me that this article happened the exact same time that the band got voted so highly in that RS Top 500 poll. Maybe it's just completely coincidental timing, or maybe somebody at the magazine had more incentive to dig into the modern goings-on of the band due to the timely high ranking of PS. If the latter is the case, I wonder if Mike and/or anyone else went out of their way to ask RS to not mention FF, or if RS just chose to not mention it. Or if maybe the writer at RS just was totally ignorant of FF even existing.

If it seems outlandish, I have no doubt that Mike (and probably Brian and many other celebs) go out of their way to ask for certain topics to not be brought up, in general. That would certainly be nothing new.

RS seems to probably be pretty desperate for ad revenue, and their website has gotten more user-unfriendly to use and seems closer to clickbaity ad pop up websites than I ever remember it seeming. I just wonder maybe they are avoiding mentioning FF in case Mike or the band might threaten to not give them exclusives in the future. Sort of the way Murry threatened radio stations to not play The Marksmen. Just a thought that crossed my mind, who knows. One wonders why there's a media blackout on FF from a major publication who is anything but afraid to talk about the band this week.

But once again, being that the band is in Rolling Friggin Stone twice in one week in 2020 for different reasons, this could be the ideal time for another music publication to strike while there's a little bit more BBs buzz than usual, and do some digging into the FF situation.  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:50:12 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »

Agree about the suckiness of RS' website. I've subscribed to the magazine for decades, but have been forced to drop it due to overpriced renewal rates.

I noticed that the article mentions another tour date for M&B (Charlotte) as happening this year, but it has actually been pushed back to 2021. Which means the dates on the official BB page aren't being updated frequently enough.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2020, 11:28:49 AM »

Agree about the suckiness of RS' website. I've subscribed to the magazine for decades, but have been forced to drop it due to overpriced renewal rates.

I noticed that the article mentions another tour date for M&B (Charlotte) as happening this year, but it has actually been pushed back to 2021. Which means the dates on the official BB page aren't being updated frequently enough.

Anybody still interested in reading RS, if you have a library card and your local library supports the RB Digital app, you can check out digital copies of the magazine on the app.

https://www.recordedbooks.com/rbdigital-marketing

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »

Is Wild Honey better than Smiley Smile?

Wild Honey is better than Sgt Pepper.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2020, 09:59:08 PM »

Is Wild Honey better than Smiley Smile?

Hell yes. I haven’t listened to it yet, but I bet even SIP is better than Smiley Smile.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:59:47 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
Unreconstructed Wilsonite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2020, 12:40:27 AM »

Forever Changes at 180? No respect for this list, really. Leonard Cohen way down there too ...

Never been a fan of Rolling Stone or the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, or any of these kind of elitist protectors of the boring old guard ... now with an apparent Pitchfork-influenced pandering. Rolling Stone will never admit that More of the Monkees is better than any Beatles record. The fact that they list an album (Please Please Me) at number 39 in one installment, then omit it from the entire top 500 in the next shows how laughable the rankings are.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/10-classic-albums-rolling-stone-originally-panned-101316/jimi-hendrix-are-you-experienced-1967-101413/

I dunno about More of the Monkees, but Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. and Head are both top tier - and sadly I would not be surprised if both were omitted from this ranking
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2020, 05:24:33 AM »

Nice to see Pet Sounds holding steady at #2 but it would seem that Rolling Stone is struggling to stay relevant with this list.  There are some oddball changes listed here that seem a little head-scratching.  I know Lauryn Hill's album is popular but does it really deserve to be in the top 10?  Sgt. Pepper's fall from grace seems a little surprising since it has been forever hyped as one of the best albums ever even though Revolver, The Beatles (White Album) and Abbey Road seem to be favored more by fans in recent years.  🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 05:25:21 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx