gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:26:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Solo piano album  (Read 7290 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2020, 06:31:48 PM »

Okay, watching Brian on Colbert, and singing Happy Birthday to Nancy Sinatra, and noticing the comments in the threads, I just wanted to start this thread in case we could get any kind of traction with this thing.

I want a new Brian album, stripped down, live in the studio, no overdubs, no autotune, no bass harmonicas, minimal instrumentation. Maybe brush drums or a stand up bass player. Maybe an acoustic guitar. Not an electro-acoustic guitar, but just an actual mic'd up acoustic guitar. A couple of backing vocalists.

There is so much more heart and soul and personality from the real life Brian in these videos than the photoshopped, autotuned, glossy Brian we keep getting from his solo albums.

I want a Brian who hesitates at the piano, who misses the beat by a fraction, who almost forgets the words, who can magically out of FREAKING NOWHERE sound like his 20 year old self at almost 80 years old.

Get Van Dyke to back him on a couple of tunes on accordion. Maybe make it a sequel to Orange Crate Art if you want, but a full collaboration in the songwriting department.

Who's with me?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 08:32:12 PM »

It doesn’t do anything for me TBH. These clips are nice little treats but mainly for the novelty of seeing a guy almost 80 doing relatively well all things considered.

I notice he has a Pet Sounds award or disc just sitting on the floor behind him. If he wants to do a little YouTube solo..really solo, full ‘Pet Sounds’ like he did the other day with GOK, just for his fans, I wouldn’t complain though. Just if the mood takes him.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 10:30:50 PM »

I’d like him to retire, relax and enjoy the rest of his life.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:47:17 PM »

If it's something he'd like to do--- a home recorded album like Smiley, Friends, Wild Honey ---   that would be amazing.

I wouldn't be opposed to electric instruments. I'd be cool with as many or as little instruments as he'd want. Could be bare voice/piano. Or a whole little group thing, like the albums mentioned above, or even those home studio recorded holiday stuff he's done over the years. That vibe.

While I'm a fan of overproduction in general, the idea of BW playing whatever he wants at home, with musicians like Al and others contributing any needed instruments or voices- either at Bri's place, or in their own home studio for safety reasons (like Mike's single)

Honestly, Totten could probably handle the project beautifully. His productions showcase Mike's natural voice, for the most part, and I feel he'd do the same for Brian. They'd make a wonderful team. Too bad politics, or any of that stuff would/could get in the way....

It'd be cool to have Bri play his favorites... BB stuff like Salt Lake City, Shortenin Bread, Night Was So Young... other artists' stuff like Be My Baby & other Spector, Let It Be & other Beatles, Four Freshman,Row Your Boat, Gershwin,  Rock N Roll Oldies, whatever....

If it's something he didn't want/or have the energy to do, I wouldn't press him, but if he was inclined to do it, I think a project like that would be wonderful
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 11:17:58 PM »

I personally would love an entire album of  nothing but Brian and the piano. As I said in the other thread, I’ve been wanting this for years, and seeing this clips feels like some sort of vindication. The main thing for me is that Brian doesn’t just sound good, it sounds like he’s having fun. You can go all the way back to the Rolling Stone thing.

For those who have doubted him....THIS is the real Brian Wilson.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 12:27:51 AM »

HOLD MY NOSE

Brian Wilson Sings Mike Love’s Solo Songs And Leads. With special guest Al Jardine!

Teaser : https://youtu.be/5QGlQCnGpuU
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 01:55:15 AM »

I don't think the "Brian and just a piano" approach would work for a studio production. But "Brian and very sparse home recording instrumentation"? Yes, please, that sounds great. He's an incredible arranger, even on albums like Wild Honey, which sounds like there's not much going on other than piano, bass, organ and drums, but the little details here and there make all the difference.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 02:28:32 AM »

I don't think the "Brian and just a piano" approach would work for a studio production. But "Brian and very sparse home recording instrumentation"? Yes, please, that sounds great. He's an incredible arranger, even on albums like Wild Honey, which sounds like there's not much going on other than piano, bass, organ and drums, but the little details here and there make all the difference.

Yeah, I agree that a solo piano album at this point probably wouldn't work, and I don't know if Brian would even want to do that; after all his arrangements are many times such a big part of the song itself. Now, I love the recordings of Brian at the piano that we have. I just think (and maybe I'm wrong) that the energy in his playing is mostly gone, due to his age. But a collection of Brian's demos through the years would be great.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 10:01:48 AM »

Not veering too far away from the simplicity and intimacy of a solo piano and vocal project...what would be most welcome and long overdue would be to have Brian play some Hammond B3 organ on such a project too. Something like this doesn't need extra musicians, it doesn't need a lot of cooks in the kitchen either. But how great would it be to hear Brian again playing Hammond organ along with piano?

It's those little moments and little turns of a vocal phrase that makes this guy special, as I said in the Happy Birthday Nancy discussion. That moment just at the end of the song where he turns two syllables into four, and he sounds like he's 23 again. He pulls this kind of thing seemingly out of a hat, and people who know his work can spot them right away. In terms of producing records, every truly great record has that moment of surprise and pure joy, it's the great undefinable X-Factor in making music that some just seem to have more access to than others. Those are the greats, Brian is one of them. If he can do this in the last notes of Happy Birthday, is any more proof necessary?

So here is another example just for comparison: C50 tour, September 27, 2012 at Royal Albert Hall, in that batch of final C50 performances weeks after the dust-up hit the press. Some who were there say Brian brought his A-Game to this show, and was throwing his fastballs that night. Was he sending a message? Topic for debate. But this was Brian doing "Please Let Me Wonder" at that show, stay tuned to the very end of the song. Brian leans back and hits a falsetto note that speaks for itself. Still one of my favorite musical moments in all the BB's catalog fortunately captured on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsB3s9xDzRI

Those moments are what should be captured on a recording project. Just pure, unfiltered, and surprising magic moments that make a great song or performance even better. Seriously, the way he can do it with just piano and vocal, you don't need anything else. Get him in the studio with a piano and microphone and start rolling tape. And again, if there are doubts that such a thing would "work", look no further than Johnny Cash's last recordings. People are still buying and playing them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 11:22:59 AM »

Not veering too far away from the simplicity and intimacy of a solo piano and vocal project...what would be most welcome and long overdue would be to have Brian play some Hammond B3 organ on such a project too. Something like this doesn't need extra musicians, it doesn't need a lot of cooks in the kitchen either. But how great would it be to hear Brian again playing Hammond organ along with piano?

It's those little moments and little turns of a vocal phrase that makes this guy special, as I said in the Happy Birthday Nancy discussion. That moment just at the end of the song where he turns two syllables into four, and he sounds like he's 23 again. He pulls this kind of thing seemingly out of a hat, and people who know his work can spot them right away. In terms of producing records, every truly great record has that moment of surprise and pure joy, it's the great undefinable X-Factor in making music that some just seem to have more access to than others. Those are the greats, Brian is one of them. If he can do this in the last notes of Happy Birthday, is any more proof necessary?

So here is another example just for comparison: C50 tour, September 27, 2012 at Royal Albert Hall, in that batch of final C50 performances weeks after the dust-up hit the press. Some who were there say Brian brought his A-Game to this show, and was throwing his fastballs that night. Was he sending a message? Topic for debate. But this was Brian doing "Please Let Me Wonder" at that show, stay tuned to the very end of the song. Brian leans back and hits a falsetto note that speaks for itself. Still one of my favorite musical moments in all the BB's catalog fortunately captured on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsB3s9xDzRI

Those moments are what should be captured on a recording project. Just pure, unfiltered, and surprising magic moments that make a great song or performance even better. Seriously, the way he can do it with just piano and vocal, you don't need anything else. Get him in the studio with a piano and microphone and start rolling tape. And again, if there are doubts that such a thing would "work", look no further than Johnny Cash's last recordings. People are still buying and playing them.

Thanks for sharing that awesome PLMW clip, GF. That end bit was really brilliant. It left me breathless for a moment.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:08:08 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 11:59:02 AM »

That PLMW clip is fantastic! What a joy to see him so energetic and with it!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 04:50:26 PM »

I've gotta say I think you guys are somewhat delusional. There is no way Brian is going to do anything. I think one of the reasons he may be happy, if indeed he is happy is because he doesn't have to tour and he can stay home and watch TV.  Brian is old and I'm sure very tired. I'm 65 and I'm exhausted sometimes. I can only guess what it's like to be closing in on 80.
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 05:49:07 PM »

I've gotta say I think you guys are somewhat delusional. There is no way Brian is going to do anything. I think one of the reasons he may be happy, if indeed he is happy is because he doesn't have to tour and he can stay home and watch TV.  Brian is old and I'm sure very tired. I'm 65 and I'm exhausted sometimes. I can only guess what it's like to be closing in on 80.
Agreed. While it would be cool to get a stripped back Brian and a Piano album, similar to that Prince Piano & a Microphone 1983 album a couple years ago, it’s extremely unlikely.
Personally, I’m hoping that in a couple years, we get all of the Love You and Adult Child piano demos officially released
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 05:53:55 PM »

Nobody is saying anything about touring. I take offense about being called delusional. Unless your  name happens to be Brian Wilson, you can’t get inside his head and saying “this is what he is or isn’t going to do “. That’s not what this thread is even about; it’s what we would like him to do if he wanted to do something.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:53:48 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 07:22:11 PM »

You still have time to change that all around. I'm 7 1/2 years older than you and while I can't do what I used to do, I'm doing my best to not be exhausted and work out three or four days a week, take care of 2 acres and have a part time job. I wish I were 65 again! Brian is 5 years older than I am and I'm amazed that he can do what he does. He's an inspiration, indeed!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 08:59:15 PM »

Age is nothing but a number. I’m going to be 42 in a few months , have had two strokes and that has resulted in health issues making it likely I won’t see 80.  I could sit around feeling sorry for myself or I could do what I’m doing and enjoy the f*** out of life. I don’t know Brian’s current health situation but the days of him sitting around feeling sorry for himself are many years behind him, and I think he’s choosing the latter option as well ; he knows he’s gonna be 80 soon and it seems like that has lit a fire under him.

I don’t know...I could be wrong but I suspect that’s not the case.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 09:00:02 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 09:04:15 PM »

You still have time to change that all around. I'm 7 1/2 years older than you and while I can't do what I used to do, I'm doing my best to not be exhausted and work out three or four days a week, take care of 2 acres and have a part time job. I wish I were 65 again! Brian is 5 years older than I am and I'm amazed that he can do what he does. He's an inspiration, indeed!

No doubt you can source a drop of inspiration (in purely that regard at least) from all our beloved Beach Boys then, even Michael E. Love?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 09:05:57 PM »

I’d like him to retire, relax and enjoy the rest of his life.
Amen.
Brian did his work when he was a young man. The remainder of his career has been spent celebrating those accomplishments.
He's earned his retirement. Covid 19 may have brought that on a little sooner than we all expected, but I will be very disappointed if the Powers That Be resume the Never Ending Greatest Hits Tour next year.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 01:40:20 AM »

Oh! That’s right guys, the Powers That Be completely control Brian. Do you guys really think that Brian himself wanted to wish Nancy Sinatra a happy birthday? Look closely at the framed Pet Sounds award in the background of that video - there’s a reflection and GASP! there’s Melinda holding a baseball bat making sure that Brian goes through with the video.

What’s the tin-foil hat theory? Brian is forced to tour at gunpoint because Melinda desperately needs the money? It’s a shame COVID-19 happened because apparently Brian’s touring brought in copious amounts of money for the Wilson household...No doubt Brian and Melinda will be out panhandling within weeks due to this financial loss!

Talk about delusional.

As for an album, if the dude can’t even sit in front of a piano for an hour and a half a couple nights a week without a few sensitive people getting all “oH mY GoOdnezz gUys HE iS BEiNg cOnTrOlLeD!!!!!” I’d hate to see the reaction from these people when Brian spends a few hours in a studio a week recording an album for his fans...granted, the last time he made an album for us “fans”, half the fans had mental breakdowns at the slightest sound of vocal pitch correction...perhaps Brian isn’t making albums anymore because he doesn’t want people feeling so negative.

Personally I would love to hear a solo piano album if Brian is up to it. At the moment I’m just glad we’re treated with these little snippets of happiness from Brian in such a negative time.

Also, OSD, glad to hear you’re living life to the fullest!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:42:06 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »

Oh! That’s right guys, the Powers That Be completely control Brian. Do you guys really think that Brian himself wanted to wish Nancy Sinatra a happy birthday? Look closely at the framed Pet Sounds award in the background of that video - there’s a reflection and GASP! there’s Melinda holding a baseball bat making sure that Brian goes through with the video.

What’s the tin-foil hat theory? Brian is forced to tour at gunpoint because Melinda desperately needs the money? It’s a shame COVID-19 happened because apparently Brian’s touring brought in copious amounts of money for the Wilson household...No doubt Brian and Melinda will be out panhandling within weeks due to this financial loss!

Talk about delusional.

As for an album, if the dude can’t even sit in front of a piano for an hour and a half a couple nights a week without a few sensitive people getting all “oH mY GoOdnezz gUys HE iS BEiNg cOnTrOlLeD!!!!!” I’d hate to see the reaction from these people when Brian spends a few hours in a studio a week recording an album for his fans...granted, the last time he made an album for us “fans”, half the fans had mental breakdowns at the slightest sound of vocal pitch correction...perhaps Brian isn’t making albums anymore because he doesn’t want people feeling so negative.

Personally I would love to hear a solo piano album if Brian is up to it. At the moment I’m just glad we’re treated with these little snippets of happiness from Brian in such a negative time.

I still don’t get the big deal about a tiny bit of pitch correction.
Sure, Mike Love lathering his voice in layers and layers of it, making him sound barely human, just to record another version of Fun Fun Fun is just the worst. But Brian’s last album had new material, most of it very good. And his voice clearly isn’t what it was in 1965. So, if he’s using technology to help him out, I really don’t see the big deal. It’s a studio effect, it can be used fantastic, and it can be used super poorly, much like any other studio affect.
In the 60s, when new Studio techniques became available, these guys use them. They use multi tracking. They used speeding up and slowing down. They used the cut and splice techniques. They used reverb.
And trust me, if pitch corrector existed in the 60s, they would have used it to.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 11:40:17 AM »

We need to stop this stupid idea that all modern studio technology is bad, and everything was better before. Because the truth is, it wasn’t. Sure, there are a lot of modern production techniques that can be taken way too far. But lets stop getting mad when we notice that Pitch corrector, or some other ProTools plug-in is being used, and realize that it’s 2020. Of course they’re going to use what’s available nowadays. and in 2020, much like everything else, music production is Digital, and mostly done on computers. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »

We need to stop this stupid idea that all modern studio technology is bad, and everything was better before. Because the truth is, it wasn’t. Sure, there are a lot of modern production techniques that can be taken way too far. But lets stop getting mad when we notice that Pitch corrector, or some other ProTools plug-in is being used, and realize that it’s 2020. Of course they’re going to use what’s available nowadays. and in 2020, much like everything else, music production is Digital, and mostly done on computers. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that
I would love to elaborate, without today's technology, we would probably still be listening to records in mono, or having instruments panned onto one side and the other ala the Beatles! I think modern music technology just leads to more flexibility for the producer and musicians involved. I think about old piano recordings from Laura Nyro or Todd Rundgren, and the fidelity just can't compare to something even from the 80's or with American Spring. With old recordings, you get a lot of noise and compression due to bouncing from tape to vinyl/analog media. Digital music production has come a long way, and I firmly believe that the technology itself is not at fault for a lot of the overproduction that plagues many records today. To me, I specifically blame whoever mixes and masters the music, as it is typically mastered as loudly as possible in order to compare to specific frequencies of other contemporary songs.

I don't want to open that can of worms, but to me, to say that modern microphones or technology like Protools is to blame for some mediocre shlock of a production, I also think about some of Brian's better modern efforts like Lucky Old Sun, Gershwin, and Smile as examples of well-engineered works. The fidelity just doesn't compare!

As for auto-tune/pitch correction, etc. I also see double-tracking vocals as a form of pitch correction, so let's not put the blame on newer tech for that, when clearly, it was pioneered by the  himself!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 01:00:05 PM »

Talk about delusional.

Sure, Mike Love lathering his voice in layers and layers of it, making him sound barely human, just to record another version of Fun Fun Fun is just the worst. But Brian’s last album had new material, most of it very good. And his voice clearly isn’t what it was in 1965. So, if he’s using technology to help him out, I really don’t see the big deal. It’s a studio effect, it can be used fantastic, and it can be used super poorly, much like any other studio affect.
In the 60s, when new Studio techniques became available, these guys use them. They use multi tracking. They used speeding up and slowing down. They used the cut and splice techniques. They used reverb.
And trust me, if pitch corrector existed in the 60s, they would have used it to.

Exactly!

All of Brian's albums have tastefully used effects to their advantage. Sure, I may not care for some songs he's done, but its never because of the vocal production. I'm glad other people see this perspective.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 04:33:19 PM »

100% disagree

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 04:34:36 PM »

Talk about delusional.

This is a common argument I hear, but the fact remains - they didn't have it, and the records sound the way they do partially as a result of not having these things. Which lends credence to the argument that the old ways were better.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx