gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:55:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin to be Interviewed on WFMU June 13  (Read 13447 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2020, 07:09:16 AM »

Just saw this on another board -

<< This should prove to be interesting. Rocky will be interviewed on WFMU on June 13th.
wfmu.org/upcoming/SH >>
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 08:22:11 AM »

Interviewed by Mtaber....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 08:46:02 AM »

Interviewed by Mtaber....

Awesome! Smiley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 10:23:43 AM »

Mtaber: Rocky, how’s your book selling?

(Interview ends after prolonged sounds of mtaber getting his ass beat)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 11:25:35 AM »

Unless the interview has already been done, I'd seriously recommend reading through Rocky's previous posts on this board, followed by Ron's posts on this board:

All of Rocky's posts:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=profile;u=9448;sa=showPosts

Ron's thread on the book:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26232.0.html

The only question that needs to be asked - of Rocky, not Ron - is why Rocky did literally a 180 degree shift in narrative, tone, and focus from the time he was shopping and posting his original manuscripts to the time he connected with Ron and the publisher to get the book published. He and others posted excerpts from his original manuscript, yet when the book came out the narrative had been completely flipped.

I guess a follow-up question may be in order too: Do we believe the original Rocky who was posting excerpts and comments here, or the Rocky who worked with Ron a few years later?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 12:09:40 PM »

Some of us (including yours truly) tried to shamelessly egg Rocky on in hopes of getting a few more slip-ups of the real dynamic between the Love brothers and the 90s lawsuits, but it appears that someone got hold of Rocky and whispered the right "sweet nothing" into his ear.

Seems to me that Marty T. should consider setting aside the plans to interview Rocky and focus instead on Don Goldberg, whose memoir is a lot more revealing about a more interesting (and poignant) time in BBs history. Being reminded about how Brian was "handled" by this procession of goons is unseemly and depressing at best.

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »

Seriously, it ain’t me interviewing Rocky.  No idea who is actually doing the interview.  Seems a strange time to be talking to Mr Pamplin,  he’s not exactly a hot topic currently (was he EVER?)
SBonilla
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 02:37:27 PM »

Honestly, I want dirt. I'm not holding my breath.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 02:40:34 PM »

Everybody, let's forget pampty dampty rocky squirrel tool. Boo him. 👊👊👊

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 02:58:24 PM »

The large majority of people surrounding Brian were really committed to have something to sell to benefit themselves. Maybe do a little research and listen to the people who loved him and didn't cash in. Just a thought.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 05:15:02 PM »

^ Agreed

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 05:33:26 PM »

Yep, that's why I say let's forget THE tool. Can mods lock this thread? :D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 05:57:17 PM »

Anyone heard from Emily lately? She should be in this thread... hope she’s doing ok...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 06:25:06 PM »

Why she should be here? What's the interest in pampy? Why care about some random tool's interview?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 09:33:09 AM »

The only relevant question to ask at this point is why did Rocky change his tune in a matter of a few years. At least in my opinion. When you get two completely different versions on paper of the same story from the same eyewitness, one of the versions isn't true. It's that simple.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »

I heard this announced by Michael Shelley on his show Saturday (11am - 1pm on WFMU 91.1 in the NYC area -- just about the greatest radio station ever -- I donate for the record).  Michael is smart, hip (but little if any snark) , grounded and a terrific interviewer.   He regularly plays off the beaten track Beach Boys (he hit hard on "Sunshine Tomorrow" last year) among tons of other great to interesting tracks.  If you check his page on the WFMU website you'll see a very eclectic list of (great) interviews which include greats like Jonathan Richman, John Sebastian, Nick Lowe -- and  Mike Love!

https://wfmu.org/playlists/SH

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 06:46:07 AM »

Well, today's the big day...
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2020, 08:52:46 AM »

Well, today's the big day...

I'm tuned in -- Michael is playing the backing track to "We're Together Again" -- earlier "Guess I'm Done" sessions, alternate "Here Today," "You're So Good to Me" -- for all you cynics....

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2020, 09:04:24 AM »

12 noon EST, Rocky coming up on the broadcast in minutes: http://stream0.wfmu.org/freeform-128k

I think these are archived too so anyone interested can listen later

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2020, 09:16:17 AM »

Picturing Brian pouring 10 tablespoons of coffee grounds into a glass, mixing it with hot water from the sink, chugging it, then sitting on the couch panting afterwards is a sad thing to think about.

Great questions being asked though.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2020, 09:21:42 AM »

It's a good interview so far! Waiting for the other shoe to drop...lol

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2020, 09:26:43 AM »

If I were to tell stories from 45 years ago or so it would be my version plus the filter of time.  Not putting Rocky up for sainthood but he makes some points.  His coauthor does seem a bit of a putz however.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2020, 09:28:49 AM »

And it dropped at 12:24pm, EST...that's all we get.  Roll Eyes

According to Ron, it came down to two "camps" having their take on events, and his assertion that Mike was the savior of the band and how much respect Rocky had for Mike Love was something Ron got out of Rocky...no mention at all of Rocky's previous comments and feelings toward Mike and his actions which appeared here and elsewhere (see the links above to read all of Rocky's previous posts) being in direct contradiction to what Ron is saying now, as current as the final 2 minutes of the interview.

Ron and Rocky can still post here any time they wish. The contradiction is there for everyone to read and hear.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2020, 09:36:07 AM »

If I were to tell stories from 45 years ago or so it would be my version plus the filter of time.  Not putting Rocky up for sainthood but he makes some points.  His coauthor does seem a bit of a putz however.

I agree: Rocky makes some good points and yes, I can see his perspective on the whole deal to the point where the interview stopped in terms of the full history. You have 25 minutes, you can't expand all that much. But I agree, Rocky did state his perspective in a clear way, and he did make some points. However, it's the blatant contradictions in what Rocky said when he had a working book manuscript versus what his book says after he connected with co-author Ron that makes it so obvious. I see more of Ron in the new narrative than I do Rocky, especially when both sides can be read on demand. That is frustrating.

BTW - WFMU is indeed a terrific station. Being old-fashioned myself, I enjoy tuning in radio stations during road trips versus streaming or satellite. I have some great memories of "finding" WFMU in the various rental cars as I drove up the east coast. It was like a beacon of cool, not to sound cheesy.  LOL  But I found a new go-to stream during the day, second to my own home station WXPN. Highly recommend both of them for people looking for some great broadcast radio. Thanks for letting all of us know!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx