gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:59:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: is there a definitive bass list for David, Al and Brian during the 60's?  (Read 7501 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »

I had Made in California on shuffle today and it landed on the 'Surfers Rule - with session intro'. It sounds like to me that is has David on the bass at the beginning and not guitar - is that a bass? Sounds deep and like it's kind of distorting out. Common for those old Fender tube bass amps. I didn't know David played bass on any of those early career sessions.

I know Al and Brian played bass, and during a brief overlap both David and Al were in the recording studio.

So is there a list where we see who played bass on early 60's stuff before studio musicians began to creep in?
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »

I had never considered that, but Murry also says David to sweeten up and not remove treble (so I don't think it's likely would've said that about bass), plus it's possible that Al plays since this is on the Surfer Girl LP.  Plus, I know guitarfool2002 and/or c-man and/or Jon Stebbins have discussed that Carl and David used different string gauges than what are typically available now.

There are partial lists available, and I can dig up everything I've written down from the c-man's archives tomorrow.

EDIT: I think Jon Stebbins and Carrie Marks have said in the past that David has no memory of Carl playing bass in the studio while he was there. No comments about himself, but I assume he would said something if it happened/he remembered at that moment. Obviously he was 14/15, so understandable if he forgets. Just thought I’d throw that out there. Not that I’m an expert, but I’m going to (slightly) throw my money behind on Al.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:48:24 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 08:11:48 PM »

I think it's probably Carl on bass on Surfers Rule.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 08:17:13 PM »

That said, Al did start to become the de facto studio bassist for the band around then, after he "came back" (Well, I never knew that he was gone, still they say Al is back...)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 09:30:11 PM »

Can't be Carl on bass as you hear their Dad say 'let me hear you David' and he plays what sounds like a bass. You hear Carl at the beginning plucking away at guitar, too.

As for the comment "I had never considered that, but Murry also says David to sweeten up and not remove treble (so I don't think it's likely would've said that about bass)"

Murry was kind of known to say stuff just to say stuff, it seems. He was also known to direct the guitars to be super trebly and bright. David Marks has credited him for suggesting that and making that sound come through. I think it's very possible that Murry thought David had a good bass tone and not to remove treble as the mix sounded good from in the room. merely to play smoother/cleaner etc as a way to 'sweeten it up'. He is kind of flubbing notes on the transition.

For me, it sounds like a bass being played through a Fender Showman and kind of 'flubbing out'. I went and played my P bass with a pick through my 1961 Fender Showman and at higher levels it will kind of flub out.

It's also a very typical bass line of the day doing the 1, 3, 5, 6.

Upon further listening in headphones: I'm almost certain David is playing bass. Especially when he transitions to the next part when Brian tells him to slow down.

I don't hear another guitar come in, either. Brian is on piano, too. Leaving the bass open.

I'd almost bet David is playing bass on it. Not that Wikipedia is de facto - but he isn't credited with playing bass on the whole album; perhaps this should be revised? Is this the only instance he is on bass?

Waiting to hear what C man would have to say, but at this point I feel pretty confident saying David is playing bass, which is kind of revolutionary at this point.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 06:50:23 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:15:19 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 07:58:17 AM »

Can't be Carl on bass as you hear their Dad say 'let me hear you David' and he plays what sounds like a bass. You hear Carl at the beginning plucking away at guitar, too.

As for the comment "I had never considered that, but Murry also says David to sweeten up and not remove treble (so I don't think it's likely would've said that about bass)"

Murry was kind of known to say stuff just to say stuff, it seems. He was also known to direct the guitars to be super trebly and bright. David Marks has credited him for suggesting that and making that sound come through. I think it's very possible that Murry thought David had a good bass tone and not to remove treble as the mix sounded good from in the room. merely to play smoother/cleaner etc as a way to 'sweeten it up'. He is kind of flubbing notes on the transition.

For me, it sounds like a bass being played through a Fender Showman and kind of 'flubbing out'. I went and played my P bass with a pick through my 1961 Fender Showman and at higher levels it will kind of flub out.

It's also a very typical bass line of the day doing the 1, 3, 5, 6.

Upon further listening in headphones: I'm almost certain David is playing bass. Especially when he transitions to the next part when Brian tells him to slow down.

I don't hear another guitar come in, either. Brian is on piano, too. Leaving the bass open.

I'd almost bet David is playing bass on it. Not that Wikipedia is de facto - but he isn't credited with playing bass on the whole album; perhaps this should be revised? Is this the only instance he is on bass?

Waiting to hear what C man would have to say, but at this point I feel pretty confident saying David is playing bass, which is kind of revolutionary at this point.

Murry says "start it out with him, Carl--you and David".  So it can be Carl as far as that goes.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 08:08:11 AM »

Before Today is not my personnel wheelhouse, but here's what I've got for Today, SDSN, and PS:

Today:

Al plays bass on: DHMLS, WIGU(TBAM), SKMTW and is the only BB to play bass on that record.

SDSN: Al plays bass on GfNYC and YSGTM; Brian likely on TIKH and definitely on GDTM

PS: Brian likely plays bass on TNM, and may have overdubbed a second 6-string bass part there too, but it could have been Al.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »

Before Today is not my personnel wheelhouse, but here's what I've got for Today, SDSN, and PS:

Today:

Al plays bass on: DHMLS, WIGU(TBAM), SKMTW and is the only BB to play bass on that record.

Uh...Brian is on bass for "Dance, Dance, Dance", and likely overdubbed a 6-string Dano part on "I'm So Young".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 08:29:55 AM »

I'll have to dig out my SOT disc and listen to the full session for "Surfer's Rule", but my recollection is that Carl definitley played bass on "South Bay Surfer" and overdubbed the lead guitar.

And, while not bootlegged, I've heard the full session tape for "Little Deuce Coupe", and that one definitely has Carl on bass, Brian on piano, and David playing the only guitar. Which is interesting, since it was cut at the same session as "Surfer Girl" (Brian on bass), and the basic track for "Catch A Wave" (Al on bass). Three songs in three hours, each with a different Beach Boy playing bass.
Probably the only time THAT ever happened!

Although, there was the Party! session at which Carl overdubbed bass on "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" - if Brian and Bruce both played bass that particular day, that would count. And, of course there's there were the Lei'd In Hawaii concerts at which Carl, Al, and Brian each took turns on the bass (professionally recorded, therefore counting as a recording session).
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 08:33:10 AM »

Today:

Uh...Brian is on bass for "Dance, Dance, Dance", and likely overdubbed a 6-string Dano part on "I'm So Young".

I think we've long since established that I am basically good for nothing at this point.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 08:43:34 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:15:02 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 09:25:43 AM »

I'll have to dig out my SOT disc and listen to the full session for "Surfer's Rule", but my recollection is that Carl definitley played bass on "South Bay Surfer" and overdubbed the lead guitar.

And, while not bootlegged, I've heard the full session tape for "Little Deuce Coupe", and that one definitely has Carl on bass, Brian on piano, and David playing the only guitar. Which is interesting, since it was cut at the same session as "Surfer Girl" (Brian on bass), and the basic track for "Catch A Wave" (Al on bass). Three songs in three hours, each with a different Beach Boy playing bass.

Although, there was the Party! session at which Carl overdubbed bass on "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" - if Brian and Bruce both played bass that particular day, that would count. And, of course there's there were the Lei'd In Hawaii concerts at which Carl, Al, and Brian each took turns on the bass (professionally recorded, therefore counting as a recording session).

Fascinating. So for the song "Little Deuce Coupe", would that be the only incident of David being the only guitar player on a recorded BBs song?
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 08:49:41 PM »

c-man, is that the only Party! song that Carl plays bass on? I know during the sessions, Bruce comments for Carl to go get his bass, but I assumed it was a joke.

And, regarding the Surfer Girl album, does that mean that the idea of marathon sessions with Al alternating between playing bass on some songs and sitting around doing nothing on others is possible?
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 11:56:52 PM »

wow never knew carl played so much studio bass.  of course he did, but wow, had no idea......for the pre pet sounds stuff what did Al play bass on?  im sorry i was born during the keepin the summer alive tour and dont have all those abbreviations hardwired- huge fan of all eras though
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 12:01:04 PM »

wow never knew carl played so much studio bass.  of course he did, but wow, had no idea......for the pre pet sounds stuff what did Al play bass on?  im sorry i was born during the keepin the summer alive tour and dont have all those abbreviations hardwired- huge fan of all eras though

Today:

Al:
DHMLS - Don’t My Little Sister
WIGU(TBAM) - When I Grow Up To Be A Man
SKMTW - She Knows Me Too Well
GfNYC - The Girl from New York City
YSGTM - You’re So Good To Me

Brian:
TIKH - Then I Kissed Her
GDTM - Girl Don’t Tell Me
TNM - That’s Not Me

I thought Al also played on I’m So Young too (Al on Fender, Carl on Dano, and Brian on an overdubbed Dano).
The Dano on That’s Not Me could be Brian or Al, according to c-man and Joshilyn.

On an another related topic, SaltyMarshmallow, you definitely think Carl is on that much? Crazy, especially Do It Again, which a I thought would’ve leaned towards Al.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 12:08:10 PM »

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:33:24 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 12:26:11 PM »

Good work.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 12:48:12 PM »

SaltyMarshmallow, thanks for responding quickly and sorry for the doubting tone of my question. It’s just so shocking for me that Al can go from being the studio bassist to barely playing on anything unless he brought it the band or sang lead on it. But then again, this is The Beach Boys, and all sorts of crazy stuff has happened and continues to. Thanks again!!
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 01:21:20 PM »

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:33:09 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 07:21:05 PM »

It is strange that Al was such a prominent instrumentalist from Surfer Girl through Summer Days, and then drops out. Of course, he plays here and there, but sparingly. And like others have pointed off, when he does play, it's on something he's singing or co-wrote like Crack At Your Love, Island Girl, It's About Time...

Given the fact that much KTSA was recorded at his studio, I wonder if he played on that album more than one would think?
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 07:37:01 PM »

SaltyMarshmallow, thanks for responding quickly and sorry for the doubting tone of my question. It’s just so shocking for me that Al can go from being the studio bassist to barely playing on anything unless he brought it the band or sang lead on it. But then again, this is The Beach Boys, and all sorts of crazy stuff has happened and continues to. Thanks again!!

No problem! Hey, it's still totally possible that Al played bass on Do It Again since there's no way to know for sure with most overdubs, it'd just be an odd kick in the trend at the time! It could've been Brian for all we know.

SaltyMarshmallow, do you have any clue about who played bass on the various Party! songs? I’m going to guess Bruce on Barbara Ann because he seems to play the same bassline at Knebworth. Not like we can use Brian in 2012 as a judge since he stays on the roots of the chords. Also, is You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away the only one on that album with Carl on bass? Bruce does make a joke about Carl grabbing “his bass,” but it sounds like a joke.

It is strange that Al was such a prominent instrumentalist from Surfer Girl through Summer Days, and then drops out. Of course, he plays here and there, but sparingly. And like others have pointed off, when he does play, it's on something he's singing or co-wrote like Crack At Your Love, Island Girl, It's About Time...

Given the fact that much KTSA was recorded at his studio, I wonder if he played on that album more than one would think?

C-man said that he thinks it’s because Al’s very hard on his own playing, I don’t think Al plays on Crack At Your Love, but he does (rhythm, I’m assuming) on California Calling. I remember c-man says that Al plays on Santa Ana Winds and Endless Harmony, plus at least one or two outtakes: Goin’ To The Beach (and maybe Johnny B. Goode, but I can’t remember.) I’m guessing School Days could be a possibility too?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 07:39:35 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 08:03:49 PM »

I strongly wish that there’d be reissues of the albums with accurate liner notes of who played what . Or at least as accurate as possible, for their entire career, collected in one easy to access spot, almost as bad as I would love to actually play around with the mixes ... for fun not to improve on what was done because that is impossible. More because I’m interested in hearing all of the little details .

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »

No problem! Hey, it's still totally possible that Al played bass on Do It Again since there's no way to know for sure with most overdubs, it'd just be an odd kick in the trend at the time! It could've been Brian for all we know.

SaltyMarshmallow, do you have any clue about who played bass on the various Party! songs? I’m going to guess Bruce on Barbara Ann because he seems to play the same bassline at Knebworth. Not like we can use Brian in 2012 as a judge since he stays on the roots of the chords. Also, is You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away the only one on that album with Carl on bass? Bruce does make a joke about Carl grabbing “his bass,” but it sounds like a joke.

C-man said that he thinks it’s because Al’s very hard on his own playing, I don’t think Al plays on Crack At Your Love, but he does (rhythm, I’m assuming) on California Calling. I remember c-man says that Al plays on Santa Ana Winds and Endless Harmony, plus at least one or two outtakes: Goin’ To The Beach (and maybe Johnny B. Goode, but I can’t remember.) I’m guessing School Days could be a possibility too?

Regarding "Barbara Ann" - Bruce once told me (in person) that Brian played the bass on that.

From the KTSA sessions, I only have AFM documentation and sometimes tape box track sheet notation to go by, as I've not heard the tapes. The only indication there of an Al instrumental contribution is on "Goin' To The Beach", on which both the AFM contract AND the track sheet notation indicate he added a guitar part. There's actually no documentation of him playing on "Santa Ana Winds", but I'd say there's a very good chance that he did (since it's his song, and since no other guitarist is documented as having played on it).

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 08:05:29 AM »

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:32:50 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx