gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:07:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 73974 times)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 06, 2020, 01:31:00 AM »

It would be funny if we each participated in an online book burning, wherein we each post a photo of us holding a lighter/match to our personal copies of Mike's book.

I don't have a copy.....

I'd love to see him lose the right to tour under that name though I can't imagine it coming to that. But at least it shows the level of Mike's hypocrisy and is surely good publicity for Brian, Al and David Marks. There is supposedly no such thing as bad publicity but I know one person involved with the UK fans who is prepared to close down a fan club on this account.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 03:46:08 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2020, 02:07:23 AM »

It is done....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2020, 02:27:34 AM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 06, 2020, 03:09:46 AM »

What a dinky performance, not worth the trouble of destroying the legacy....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 06, 2020, 04:17:27 AM »

1. I wonder if the video screen behind them ever showed pictures of Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, or David during the performance.

2. I truly wonder how the bandmembers themselves feel about this - and I wonder if anyone in the fandom close to any of them will ask about it at some point.

3. Where does this go from here? Upon signing the petition I have vowed not to buy any BB related material ever again (thanks to Mike’s upstanding decision to go through with the gig). I’m wondering how many of us will actually go through with that. At the moment I’m so disgusted with Mike I don’t give a damn about hearing his voice through my stereo, but I’m sure when the Feel Flows set comes out we’ll all be itching to hear the material. Plus Mark and Alan have probably put their heart and soul into the project - regardless of Mike’s pathetic actions those two deserve support.

4. Watching that video of a mountain-lion being shot out of a tree at almost point blank range - I am heartbroken that The Beach Boys name is now forever associated with these acts of cruelty.

5. No matter what excuse Mike has for playing this gig, he has NO excuse to play for an organization that sent out a public message asking their members to “trigger” people like Brian. What’s ironic is that Don jr went along with that message, and Trump’s wife is supposedly heading an anti-bullying group whose one main goals is to end online bullying. Blatant act of hypocrisy.

6. If it wouldn’t be such a struggle for Brian I would love to see them take away the license from Mike.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 06, 2020, 04:29:06 AM »

Also, I would love to know any justification they have for playing that gig. Mike claimed some freedom of expression BS while some poor guy was being paid to delete all comments about the gig. Was it about money (of course)? Was it about ego (of course)? But for the bandmembers themselves, how do they justify this? Were they threatened to be fired if they didn’t play this gig? Do they actually think their involvement in the concert was a business transaction and not a show of support for SCI? Do they even care that the convention they played publicly asked those attending the concert (members of SCI) to “trigger”/taunt those who oppose the murder of endangered animals? Do they care that the person whose music they were playing was opposed to this concert? Do they care that Al and David were opposed to them playing this concert? Their very own idols asked them not to play and they did it anyways, does that bother them at all?

So many questions, I’m just appalled that the band went through with it. Mike has proven he’ll do just about anything for the almighty dollar, but it’s surprising the rest of the band didn’t protest this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:33:58 AM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 06, 2020, 04:45:13 AM »

3. Where does this go from here? Upon signing the petition I have vowed not to buy any BB related material ever again (thanks to Mike’s upstanding decision to go through with the gig). I’m wondering how many of us will actually go through with that. At the moment I’m so disgusted with Mike I don’t give a damn about hearing his voice through my stereo, but I’m sure when the Feel Flows set comes out we’ll all be itching to hear the material. Plus Mark and Alan have probably put their heart and soul into the project - regardless of Mike’s pathetic actions those two deserve support.
h a struggle for Brian I would love to see them take away th4. Watching that video of a mountain-lion being shot out of a tree at almost point blank range - I am heartbroken that The Beach Boys name is now forever associated with these acts of cruelty.

This point concerns me too. I think it is wrong to lump together the rest of the original Beach Boys - Brian, Al, Dennis, Carl, David - none of whom have expressed support for trophy hunting with Mike and Bruce - all the surviving ones have expressed opposition to it. I can easily stick to a vow not to attend any M&B shows - and THAT is what it should be about. Punish the offenders.

The petition has been signed by over 130,000 now. Let's hope this encourages the management to make some sort of statement clearly limiting responsibility to those who sought to play this gig.
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 06, 2020, 04:48:18 AM »

Well, it's complicated, isn't it? There's going to be some cognitive dissonance involved because I still love the music, plan to buy the good stuff (should any more be forthcoming) and I don't feel beholden to the terms of an activist who was clearly not a Beach Boys fan and had little to lose in not listening to their music any more. I only signed on when encouraged by Brian and Al. But separating the past from the present is not an easy thing to do when two of the members stand in opposition to most of what I believe in the current environment. I don't know how this will affect my enjoyment of the music at this point. It's strange days as a fan for sure, and it's sad, but Brian's great art will endure for me.
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 06, 2020, 04:50:51 AM »

Also, I would love to know any justification they have for playing that gig. Mike claimed some freedom of expression BS while some poor guy was being paid to delete all comments about the gig. Was it about money (of course)? Was it about ego (of course)? But for the bandmembers themselves, how do they justify this? Were they threatened to be fired if they didn’t play this gig? Do they actually think their involvement in the concert was a business transaction and not a show of support for SCI? Do they even care that the convention they played publicly asked those attending the concert (members of SCI) to “trigger”/taunt those who oppose the murder of endangered animals? Do they care that the person whose music they were playing was opposed to this concert? Do they care that Al and David were opposed to them playing this concert? Their very own idols asked them not to play and they did it anyways, does that bother them at all?

So many questions, I’m just appalled that the band went through with it. Mike has proven he’ll do just about anything for the almighty dollar, but it’s surprising the rest of the band didn’t protest this.

Oh my gosh, how can I respectfully say that you're off your freakin' rocker, man (along with a couple other of the posters).   My gosh.  A friggin' concert for fans.  I mean...put it into prospective across the 60 years of this bands history.  We've looked past the bad bad things of Dennis Wilson, Brian Wilson...geez...every band member has been associated with shady folks...played shady places in the 60's....70's....certain countries that that had horrible conditions for gays....women...people of color....   Associations with certain publications, donors....private events.... Now, they're private lives...I'm not even going to go there.   You're making this out like the worst ever and now you'll never listen to the Beach Boys.   You're anger is at a level that it feels like you'd be happy to punch Mike Love in the face right now.  All of this 'extra' stuff is not his ownership.  He just agreed to play a freakin' concert and move on.  

I could (and probably are) be totally wrong about my hunch, but you probably rarely even heard of this organization before this situation.  The hate you're showing due to your apparently endless love for these hunted animals seems overblown since I'm not sure how involved you were in fighting this organization prior to this one event.  Its like...if this petition wasn't started and caught the news media agenda, you might have not even known about it.   They were trophy hunting in the past and in the future and you'd be just talking about the upcoming beach boys box set.   So, the hypocrisy is comical.  

If Brian Wilson REALLY wants to assert his stance and attack these hunting practices in a pollical mindset to push to have it made illegal, then he should and I'll be watching.   But, then...some of the hard facts will need to be discussed.   I don't know much about this group of stupid hunters, but I hear that Africa welcomes them because of the millions in fee revenue from buying these trips, the locals get the majority of the meat from the kills to eat and the entire organization has helped on the conservation of many of these animals immensely.   That in no way justifies the action if people choose to make it illegal, but there will, of course, be impacts both positive and negative to a change.  

Man...its tough to 'type' arguments back and forth out.  So much easier to have a conversation.   Probably why I don't post much.  But, I don't want to continue to 'trigger' people.  Ha ha kidding...for goodness sake...kidding.  I'll just shut up and stop reading this topic.  
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 06, 2020, 05:45:30 AM »

In reply to Nathan Snyder, I disagreed with trophy hunting before I ever heard of this organisation or concert. I've signed literally hundreds of petitions about animal welfare and contribute to various animal charities.  What annoys me about this gig is that Mike, who has professed various love and peace beliefs in his time, is using the name of a band that has endorsed various environmental concerns to play for people with whose views three of the original band members do not endorse. Any business relies on good customer relations so it is unwise to ally itself with a view that is extremely unpopular. That is rather different than simply playing in a country which has less enlightened views than one's own.

I don't want what MIKE and BRUCE have chosen to do to affect my appreciation of the music recorded before the convention took place... and it won't. I won't go to any M&B shows in the future, nor buy any music released under their own names (and they can't do new stuff under the Beach Boys' name). That's no hardship of course! I also find it intensely irritating that Brian was insulted by that POS. And Mike with his sudden enthusiasm for freedom of thought, remains silent. He'll be accepting people's right to a free opinion on substance abuse next... oh, wait!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 06, 2020, 05:46:51 AM »

Oh my gosh, how can I respectfully say that you're off your freakin' rocker, man (along with a couple other of the posters).   My gosh.  A friggin' concert for fans.  I mean...put it into prospective across the 60 years of this bands history.  We've looked past the bad bad things of Dennis Wilson, Brian Wilson...geez...every band member has been associated with shady folks...played shady places in the 60's....70's....certain countries that that had horrible conditions for gays....women...people of color....   Associations with certain publications, donors....private events.... Now, they're private lives...I'm not even going to go there.   You're making this out like the worst ever and now you'll never listen to the Beach Boys.   You're anger is at a level that it feels like you'd be happy to punch Mike Love in the face right now.  All of this 'extra' stuff is not his ownership.  He just agreed to play a freakin' concert and move on.  

I could (and probably are) be totally wrong about my hunch, but you probably rarely even heard of this organization before this situation.  The hate you're showing due to your apparently endless love for these hunted animals seems overblown since I'm not sure how involved you were in fighting this organization prior to this one event.  Its like...if this petition wasn't started and caught the news media agenda, you might have not even known about it.   They were trophy hunting in the past and in the future and you'd be just talking about the upcoming beach boys box set.   So, the hypocrisy is comical.  

If Brian Wilson REALLY wants to assert his stance and attack these hunting practices in a pollical mindset to push to have it made illegal, then he should and I'll be watching.   But, then...some of the hard facts will need to be discussed.   I don't know much about this group of stupid hunters, but I hear that Africa welcomes them because of the millions in fee revenue from buying these trips, the locals get the majority of the meat from the kills to eat and the entire organization has helped on the conservation of many of these animals immensely.   That in no way justifies the action if people choose to make it illegal, but there will, of course, be impacts both positive and negative to a change.  

Man...its tough to 'type' arguments back and forth out.  So much easier to have a conversation.   Probably why I don't post much.  But, I don't want to continue to 'trigger' people.  Ha ha kidding...for goodness sake...kidding.  I'll just shut up and stop reading this topic.  

Seriously? You're really comparing the Wilsons' drug use with:
 Mike/Bruce's support of a trophy hunting organization/going against the principles they've claimed to believe in for decades/putting the BBs band name to a cause that the BB main creator doesn't believe in/ Don Jr's spokesman issuing a nasty statement about Brian? Also, there have got to be better ways to promote conservation than actually killing endangered animals. You're making no sense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 06, 2020, 05:51:53 AM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:44:42 AM by rab2591 » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: February 06, 2020, 06:15:16 AM »

It is ironic that Mike put the whole operation through all of this to play in a hotel ballroom. It's the same setup logistics-wise as playing an Orthodontist Convention or something.

While such a gig is probably more lucrative than the small audience and venue might indicate, make no mistake, in my opinion this gig was *zero* about the money. Mike would survive on 124 shows per year instead of 125.

As for the boycott, I don't mean to undercut it, but I always viewed that petition as such as simply a way to help quantify the mass disappointment with Mike doing the gig, with the main goal being trying to get Mike to cancel the gig (and also bringing to light to the masses that Brian, Al, and Dave have nothing to do with it). Boycotting the release of stuff recorded 50 years ago that also included four other Beach Boys that had *nothing* to do with this isn't really something I ever considered. I guess I could say I'm fine with boycotting Mike's tour, but that would be a bit disingenuous, as I don't buy tickets to his shows as-is.

I can't tell anyone else what to do, but if this Mike debacle has highlighted anything when it comes to the BB legacy and BB fandom, it's that the *present day* goings-on with band members is of *increasingly* little importance, while the archives is what it's all about at this stage. I long ago found a way to deal with listening to Mike's voice and performances without letting him or his actions impact that. So I have no problem continuing to support actual "Beach Boys" releases going forward. I'm not going to let Mike doing an a-hole gig impact the possibility of future archival releases. Leave the boycotting to Mike's tours and Mike's solo releases.

Lest anyone care or wonder, the whole BRI/BB organization and orb is and has always been a shaky, tentative situation. Not buying "Feel Flows" (or whatever it ends up being called) isn't going to help anyone.

Moving forward, I think continuing to scrutinize and look in on what type of gigs and associations Mike is making with the name/brand is the best course. BRI can certainly start looking at how to handle the license vis-a-vis controversial bookings like this.

Knowing how the BB organization works, I don't expect anything else to happen at this stage. Fans and the non-Mike BRI shareholders simply need to continue to brace and prepare for the possibility that Mike might go more extremist and inflammatory, going down the James Woods route that I've referenced a few times. But I'm not sure what else can be done. Perhaps Brian and Al could organize a benefit concert to bring light to true, actual conservationist ideas.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:26:40 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sjeffery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 06, 2020, 06:24:04 AM »

It is done....

I posted this in two places on ML's FB page in the comments sections where new tour dates are being peddled. We'll see how long they stay there.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 06, 2020, 06:33:32 AM »

These hunting goons on foxnews.com seem to share Mike’s bile about BW’s drug use on a scale I didn’t think possible.  These people who are calling BW “retarded” online are just a sampler of Mike’s trigger happy goons, not BBs fans.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:34:47 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 06, 2020, 06:39:55 AM »

Seriously? You're really comparing the Wilsons' drug use with:
 Mike/Bruce's support of a trophy hunting organization/going against the principles they've claimed to believe in for decades/putting the BBs band name to a cause that the BB main creator doesn't believe in/ Don Jr's spokesman issuing a nasty statement about Brian? Also, there have got to be better ways to promote conservation than actually killing endangered animals. You're making no sense.
[/quote]

Drug use? Wow.  No, never mentioned drug use, but thanks for reminding me of that, too.  Actually, I was referring to other negatively perceived items like their personal behavior and touring in general.  I just assumed that environmentalism, carbon emissions and green-living was important to many of the same individuals and 60 years of touring huge convoys of buses and airplanes around and living in million dollar mansions beyond gated fences seems counter-productive to this type of lifestyle.   

Just trying to put the extreme reaction in context. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 06, 2020, 06:44:50 AM »

Hey Nathan,

Is it that hard to understand that a band that helped shape my conservationist outlook on wildlife/nature shouldn't be participating in a convention that glorifies the murder of endangered animals?

A friggin' concert for fans.

So the ideologies of any entity running a convention have nothing to do with a band entertaining the members of that convention? Do you realize what this implies? By your logic Mike could play a Klan gathering and it would just be another "friggin concert for fans".

but I hear that Africa welcomes them because of the millions in fee revenue from buying these trips, the locals get the majority of the meat from the kills to eat and the entire organization has helped on the conservation of many of these animals immensely.

If killing these animals is the best way to conserve the endangered animal species, I would hope that with Mike's history of activism, his resources, and his "peace and love" stance, he would support an alternative way of helping conserve these animal species. This shouldn't be and isn't the final solution to the problem.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:52:14 AM by rab2591 » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 06, 2020, 06:48:46 AM »

Drug use? Wow.  No, never mentioned drug use, but thanks for reminding me of that, too.  Actually, I was referring to other negatively perceived items like their personal behavior and touring in general.  I just assumed that environmentalism, carbon emissions and green-living was important to many of the same individuals and 60 years of touring huge convoys of buses and airplanes around and living in million dollar mansions beyond gated fences seems counter-productive to this type of lifestyle.   

Ah yes, driving a tour bus is so similar to releasing a lion in a completely sealed off area for a hunter to shoot and kill for their own pleasure.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: February 06, 2020, 06:51:31 AM »

Didn't you say in your previous post you were going to stop reading this thread?

Your continued attempts to obscure the one main crux of this current debacle by employing variations of the "Chewbacca Defense" grow tiresome.  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense )

Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 06, 2020, 06:54:17 AM »

Didn't you say in your previous post you were going to stop reading this thread?

Your continued attempts to obscure the one main crux of this current debacle by employing variations of the "Chewbacca Defense" grow tiresome.  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense )

Totally correct.  I have a problem shutting up sometimes.  Sorry about that.   I'll stop now. 
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 06, 2020, 06:57:07 AM »

The name of the guy who set up the petition is given on Change.org as Eduardo Goncalves.  I messaged him on FB and said that whilst I had signed the petition I thought that penalising the 2 members of the group who had promoted the petition was wrong and that a better idea was to pressure BRI to stop Mike and Bruce using the name in future as they had brought the Beach Boys name into disrepute.  If you agree perhaps you should message him too.  It's easy to find him on FB as he has the petition as an icon.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 06, 2020, 07:01:46 AM »

The name of the guy who set up the petition is given on Change.org as Eduardo Goncalves.  I messaged him on FB and said that whilst I had signed the petition I thought that penalising the 2 members of the group who had promoted the petition was wrong and that a better idea was to pressure BRI to stop Mike and Bruce using the name in future as they had brought the Beach Boys name into disrepute.  If you agree perhaps you should message him too.  It's easy to find him on FB as he has the petition as an icon.

In his last message to those who signed the petition, he specifically said "Mike Love's Beach Boys" - So I think he has gotten the message - especially since Brian Wilson showed support of the petition.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: February 06, 2020, 08:03:54 AM »

Yeah, I mean, I don't sense Brian and Al are going to call for a boycott of their own back catalog of music on an ongoing basis.

I think they were trying to bring attention to it, to let people know they're not a part of the show, and to help persuade Mike to cancel the gig.

I don't see any purpose to continue to gather signatures to boycott the band's catalog of music. I'm not saying the whole thing/cause/issue should be dropped. But if someone wants to continue to bring light to this issue, something different than what would now be a retribution-fueled boycott is what should be worked on.

I guess if they want to specifically call to boycott Mike's tour and his solo releases, they could try that. But what can be elicited out of him at this point? At best, some sort of generic slightly conciliatory statement.

I'd wager that unless Mike attempts a media blackout for the next few weeks/months, he may well be asked about this. I would imagine he'd perhaps give a chickens**t answer along the lines of that statement he put out.

As to the question of how Mike's backing band feels, we obviously don't know. But I'd wager the majority of them are probably in the same boat as Melinda Love. They might disagree, but they have no control over any of it. It *has* to just be another gig for them unless they want to jeopardize their job. I doubt Mike would ever tell them before a gig "if you don't do the gig, you're fired." I think such would be implicit in most jobs if you actively simply refuse to do a job you are being hired/paid to do. So it isn't just "another gig", but it also *is* just another gig. And take a look at their upcoming schedule. Starting tomorrow, they're headed into *21 shows in 24 days*. They have both the luxury and hardship of not being able to dwell on this Reno gig, because they'll be run ragged over the next month.

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 06, 2020, 08:22:11 AM »

Where are people getting all the stuff about shooting lions and elephants from?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 06, 2020, 08:33:15 AM »

How many signatures would an online petition garner to strip Mike of the license?

I'd wager more than a few.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 08:36:57 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx