gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:48:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 73925 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2020, 04:45:11 PM »

Kudos to Brian, Al and their people for boldly speaking out on this issue! And to David Marks as well!

Trophy Hunting is a barbaric, disgusting and evil practice! Shooting a giraffe, elephant  or any animal (they are even killing endangered species) “for fun” is just sick!  The Stone Age didn’t end because we ran out of stones!

PS - Mike Love is getting pummeled in the comments of the Rolling Stone FB story

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 04, 2020, 04:46:39 PM »

You want to talk about a power imbalance?  The son of the most powerful man in the world just publicly picked on/mocked a guy who was bullied - and literally has brain damage - from his bully psychiatrist, who was brought in to treat Brian's conditions resulting from his bully father.

There will never be another person in rock music hated as much as Mike. Salieri for all times.

Most any BBs fans with a conscience right now should be livid if they really think about this.
[/quote]

Like a broken record...the way you guys see reality under your own lens.   Mike/Beach Boys touring group/this stupid hunting organization/Trump Jr.  all of them going on about their own business doing this event.   Brian Wilson and Al Jardine independently choose to publicly BULLY THEM by publicly calling for people to boycott their concert.   Don Jr. has the audacity to respond and HE is the one who is bullying.   Geez.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 04, 2020, 04:48:53 PM »

Like a broken record...the way you guys see reality under your own lens.   Mike/Beach Boys touring group/this stupid hunting organization/Trump Jr.  all of them going on about their own business doing this event.   Brian Wilson and Al Jardine independently choose to publicly BULLY THEM by publicly calling for people to boycott their concert.   Don Jr. has the audacity to respond and HE is the one who is bullying.   Geez.

Brian is bullying Don Jr for standing up for animals not being shot for fun? And for his band name that he helped build to not be dragged into the mud? That's rich.

Making fun of someone for "being triggered" is like the bully kid Nelson laughing at some kid with hurt feelings on a playground on The Simpsons. It's textbook bullying to laugh at, mock, and make fun of someone whose heart is hurting because of something. Let alone mocking as good a human being as Brian Wilson. Textbook Trump Jr, he learned well from his POS narcissist dad.

Brian respectfully shared (didn't start) a petition written in an adult manner, to prevent needless suffering and murder. Ridiculous to compare Brian/Al/David to Don Jr.

So David Marks is a bully too? You're ridiculous.

News flash: When Marty McFly punched Biff Tannen, Marty doesn't suddenly become the bully.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:59:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 04, 2020, 04:50:28 PM »

Wow! Just f***!ng wow!

Don is looking forward to his speech at the Safari Club convention and is proud to add Brian Wilson to the list of liberal Hollywood elites who he has successfully triggered,” Andy Surabian, a spokesman for Mr. Trump, said on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/04/us/brian-wilson-beach-boys.html

What a piece of sh!t.

I can't believe I could still be shocked by anything to come from that family, but I gasped when I read that. What a slimeball. Truly.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 04, 2020, 04:51:07 PM »

Wow! Just f***!ng wow!

Don is looking forward to his speech at the Safari Club convention and is proud to add Brian Wilson to the list of liberal Hollywood elites who he has successfully triggered,” Andy Surabian, a spokesman for Mr. Trump, said on Tuesday.

What a piece of sh!t.

I can't believe I could still be shocked by anything to come from that family, but I gasped when I read that. What a slimeball. Truly.

In like company with Mike.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2020, 05:13:51 PM »

You want to talk about a power imbalance?  The son of the most powerful man in the world just publicly picked on/mocked a guy who was bullied - and literally has brain damage - from his bully psychiatrist, who was brought in to treat Brian's conditions resulting from his bully father.

There will never be another person in rock music hated as much as Mike. Salieri for all times.

Most any BBs fans with a conscience right now should be livid if they really think about this.

Like a broken record...the way you guys see reality under your own lens.   Mike/Beach Boys touring group/this stupid hunting organization/Trump Jr.  all of them going on about their own business doing this event.   Brian Wilson and Al Jardine independently choose to publicly BULLY THEM by publicly calling for people to boycott their concert.   Don Jr. has the audacity to respond and HE is the one who is bullying.   Geez.
[/quote]

Calling for a boycott of organizations/events you don't believe in is not bullying. You think lunch counter protests of segregation were bullying? Bus boycotts? Taking a stand for what you believe in, to support the powerless against those in power, is not bullying.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 04, 2020, 05:39:04 PM »

I think he just has friends in power and likes to maintain those friendships.

Of this I can agree completely. It's all about some sick, twisted, narcissistic prioritization of slobbing on the knobs of powerful people. That's more important to Mike, than say, maintaining a stance on not killing animals and caring for the Earth that he took on so many songs, and has preached for decades. Now even Dennis' solo album is tainted too.

And dragging the brand down with it. And playing songs that his cousin wrote that his cousin doesn't want him playing. A true phony whose priorities are disgustingly out of whack. Find me a bigger phony in the music industry. I double dare anyone.

If Mike has these friendships with powerful people, then play the show as Mike Love. The Beach Boys as a whole don't have those friendships (with the Trumps), but the other members are being taken along for the horrible ride. Mike is acting selfish here. No other way to put it. 
hodad
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 04, 2020, 05:51:22 PM »

Endless Harmony Forum. It's the forum that Andrew Doe now moderates. Better take some Tylenol before you read some of those posts

thanks for the tip,,,,,,am afraid tylenol is lacking enough punch....fun to watch AGD in the role of 'responsible moderator'......literally herding cats ( 'Fill da Page' has flown the coup!)....read at your own risk....
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2020, 05:56:35 PM »

I don't have a problem with Mike Love being friends with the Trumps.  Heck, I don't even support the petition because I reject the petition's call to boycott the group's recordings.  I do have a problem with people going to Africa and elsewhere to shoot rare wild animals for fun.  It's laughable to peg Brian Wilson as the "liberal elite."  As far as I know, he's apolitical and actually has had nice things to say in the past about the Reagans and Bushes, and it wouldn't shock me if he voted for Trump if he voted at all. He's never been one to push political causes.  And frankly objecting to trophy hunting really isn't a political cause.  
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2020, 06:09:54 PM »

Oh boy, look what just got posted 5 hours ago on SCI's YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXSqyZhQ5Lg

"Join America's most radical pro hunting group, and trigger an anti-hunting extremist absolutely free."

Reminder that the right has co-opted the word “trigger” and “triggered” to mock and demean people who actually suffer from mental illness or are victims of abuse, something I also doubt Brian would not be okay with though I’m not sure he’s aware of that.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: February 04, 2020, 06:35:19 PM »

That’s f***ed up

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2020, 07:12:44 PM »

[/quote]

Whatever hatred shown towards Mike by the industry and fans, he largely brought it upon himself, by HIS actions.

Brian, above all, has every right to protest this absurd concert specifically because Mike CHOSE to link the Beach Boys name and legacy to it.  Brian's camp realizes that backing out of the concert (not likely at this point) would be a loss of revenue for he and Melinda as well, yet he still calls for the protest. He has a stake in the game. None of us do. So stop saying Brian is wrong or a bully for sticking up for what he believes is best for the band and catalog he is largely responsible for.
SBonilla
« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2020, 07:33:30 PM »

PS - Mike Love is getting pummeled in the comments of the Rolling Stone FB story

Does Bruce feel left out? I wonder.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2020, 07:42:02 PM »

“Don is looking forward to his speech at the Safari Club convention and is proud to add Brian Wilson to the list of liberal Hollywood elites who he has successfully triggered,” Andy Surabian, a spokesman for Mr. Trump, said on Tuesday.

This is a statement directed at Mr. Andy Surabian, spokesman for Mr. Trump, in reply to his comment above.

Get your facts straight, be honest in your reply and stick to the facts and issues at hand, or shut the f*** up. This is not about your boss.

Thank you.

So with that out of the way, a rundown of the facts is necessary.

First, these are the two messages posted to Brian Wilson's Twitter feed concerning the event:

It has been brought to my attention that on Wednesday February 5, The Beach Boys touring group licensed by Mike Love are headlining at the Safari Club International Convention in Reno, Nevada...
2:22 PM · Feb 3, 2020

This organization supports trophy hunting, which Both Al and I are emphatically opposed to. There’s nothing we can do personally to stop the show, so please join us in signing the petition at
Sign the Petition
Tell the Beach Boys to Say No to Trophy Hunting!
change.org
2:22 PM · Feb 3, 2020

For the benefit of Mr. Surabian's apparent inability to read in detail, or perhaps to counter his narcissism or belief that everything revolves around the boss who he is paid to speak for, let's spell it out:

Nowhere - let me repeat - NOWHERE was Trump Jr. mentioned in either message. The image of the Trump brothers holding a trophy after a hunt was attached to the change.org petition page that was linked in the message.

The opposition to the event concerned the Safari Club International group's association with and support of trophy hunting, along with the SCI group's showcasing of vendors who promote trophy hunting. The opposition directly concerned the band which Brian Wilson and Al Jardine formed and founded in Hawthorne, The Beach Boys, whose name is licensed by member Mike Love, who will be playing this event with no involvement from Brian or Al, or fellow original member David Marks.

The statement made clear that Brian and Al as original Beach Boys oppose trophy hunting.

It has nothing to do with Trump's appearance or speech at the event, and nothing to do with Trump at all. It concerns the name "The Beach Boys" and Brian's and Al's investment in the name and the legacy of that name, alongside the body of work created by The Beach Boys decades before Mike Love licensed the name to book and promote his live shows.

For the spokesman to suggest this was about Trump Jr. speaks volumes to either a blatant ignorance of what was actually said, and the issues at hand, or an absurd level of narcissism that suggests everything surrounding this event revolves around and hinges on Trump's appearance and speech.

It was and is about *The Beach Boys* as licensed by Mike Love performing at this event. This was not about "triggering" Don Trump Jr. It really is that simple.

Welcome to politics in the year 2020. Throw all logic and intelligence out the window, hire an inept spokesman to ignore the facts and fire away at anyone who dares to voice an opinion whether or not his boss was even part of the issue, and throw political mud instead of proofreading and checking the facts.

Brian and Al for the win. Now people can finally see who these others are, and what they do, and in some cases it will affect those who have launched defense after excuse after total absolution for years to defend similar behavior from the same crowd. Shame it had to come to this, in this fashion, but maybe something like this had to happen to wake us up.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:43:48 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 04, 2020, 08:24:14 PM »

Well, if they’re so offended by the elite liberalism of Brian Wilson (who once told an interviewer he planned to vote for John McCain instead of Barack Obama because McCain made him “feel safe”), then surely they don’t need to sully their ears by listening to his music.

I look forward to Mike playing a show full of songs he wrote solo or with composers other than Brian, and cover versions that weren’t arranged by his cousin. It’ll be what — 15 minutes long?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:24:55 PM by Wirestone » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 04, 2020, 08:26:26 PM »

Can Brian refuse to let his songs be played under songwriting ownership?

I sincerely hope so.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 04, 2020, 08:31:52 PM »

I don't have a Facebook account, but just talked with someone who does. They've been following the news stories and just reported seeing an ad on FB for SCI, which was promptly blocked and reported as offensive. Anyone else had this happen?
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 04, 2020, 08:46:21 PM »

Okay, so Mike, SCI et al were just innocently “going about their business”, which happens to be exploiting impoverished African countries for the privilege of killing endangered animals for fun?  Because that is SCI’s business.  And apparently Mike’s business is now entertaining these people, for a hefty sum, I’m assuming. And now people are mad at them.  Yes, poor, poor Mike and oh those poor hunters.  They were just going about their business!  And now everyone is being so mean to them! Especially Brian Wilson, and we all know what a mean bossy bully he is! 

Oh wait.  Maybe Brian and Al were just going about their business, which appears to be a) being decent people and b) protecting the legacy of arguably the best pop band ever...a legacy that just maybe they don’t want to see trashed because of Mike’s monumental stupidity and greed.  (And Bruce too, while we’re at it.  I’ve been totally focused on Mike but screw that, Bruce is an adult and could take a stand against this if he had any scruples whatsoever...but no). 

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: February 04, 2020, 10:46:09 PM »

Well, if they’re so offended by the elite liberalism of Brian Wilson (who once told an interviewer he planned to vote for John McCain instead of Barack Obama because McCain made him “feel safe”), then surely they don’t need to sully their ears by listening to his music.

I look forward to Mike playing a show full of songs he wrote solo or with composers other than Brian, and cover versions that weren’t arranged by his cousin. It’ll be what — 15 minutes long?
Didn't Brian go to the Kennedy Center with Obama in attendance? That's an odd statement but in hindsight not surprising considering all the anti Obama stuff spewed before the election.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 04, 2020, 11:10:17 PM »

Didn't Brian go to the Kennedy Center with Obama in attendance? That's an odd statement but in hindsight not surprising considering all the anti Obama stuff spewed before the election.

Not sure if the Obamas were in attendance, but BW's Kennedy Center honors were in 2008, the final year of the George W. Bush administration.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 04, 2020, 11:49:24 PM »

Why is it only Mike that gets the hate for this show? Bruce is part of it, too. Have any of the touring band members complained publicly about having to do the show? If they refuse to do it as "conscientious objectors", will Mike fire them?
I've defended Mike - and Bruce - many times in the recent past, but for this show, I wouldn't be offended if some wild animals showed up, i.e, armed bears.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2020, 12:08:30 AM »

Why is it only Mike that gets the hate for this show? Bruce is part of it, too. Have any of the touring band members complained publicly about having to do the show? If they refuse to do it as "conscientious objectors", will Mike fire them?
I've defended Mike - and Bruce - many times in the recent past, but for this show, I wouldn't be offended if some wild animals showed up, i.e, armed bears.

The touring Beach Boys are Mike’s band.  Bruce is merely a performing member of said band, he’s pretty much a non-entity when it comes to these sort of decisions.  That said, he’s always been Mike’s guy.  Where Mike goes, Bruce follows.  That’s the way it’s been for decades.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2020, 01:03:33 AM »

Calling for a boycott of organizations/events you don't believe in is not bullying. You think lunch counter protests of segregation were bullying? Bus boycotts? Taking a stand for what you believe in, to support the powerless against those in power, is not bullying.
[/quote]

Nathan probably thinks MLK was a bully.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2020, 01:28:30 AM »

Gig preview video Wink : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlNcL_L5e_k
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2020, 01:42:03 AM »

Interestingly, while they seem to be scrubbing negative comments from Mike's Facebook page as they always have over the years, the critical comments on Mike's Twitter are being left intact.

You can't delete others comments on Twitter. You can on Facebook.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx