gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:37:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 73924 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 04, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »

I really hope someone asks John Stamos his thoughts about it. Totally serious.

Maybe Bruce wearing his awful Big Dog brand t-shirts on Full House was a premonition.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:58:50 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2020, 02:06:19 PM »

By 1998, Brian, who by that time was working on a solo album and had had seemingly mixed to little motivation to be with the Beach Boys while Carl was still alive, certainly had little interesting in working with them in the immediate aftermath of Carl's death (and certainly wasn't interested in joining Mike's touring band).

For Brian, it was a choice of some extra revenue, or not. Same thing with Carl's estate.

Al was kind of left to fend for himself, and it's to his credit that, unlike some folks, Al didn't keep holding it against Brian that he (Al) was left out in the cold on those 2000s trademark lawsuits, and saw the benefit of getting over it and working with Brian as he did in 06/07 and again since 2012.

If you go back to some old articles I posted, there's one from 1999 or 2000 where Elliott Lott claims Mike only has a few years left of touring in him at that stage. The implication seemed to be, in my opinion, "There's only a few more years left for someone to generate money for BRI, so let Mike tour, and don't let anyone compete with him."

Now, it's easy to then say that Brian (and Carl's estate) have some responsibility in the current license state. That's very true. But a scenario that hasn't ever really been theorized is this: What if, in 1998/99, Brian and Carl's estate had joined with Al to just not license the name at all? Would Mike have just run away with his tail between his legs, or would an even *more epic* series of lawsuits have ensued between them all back then?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2020, 02:08:52 PM »

Interestingly, while they seem to be scrubbing negative comments from Mike's Facebook page as they always have over the years, the critical comments on Mike's Twitter are being left intact.

So I looked up those Twitter comments and thought "wow, I actually kinda feel bad for Mike. I really hope he pulls out of this because he is getting a ton of backlash."

Then I went to YouTube and watched some videos about trophy hunters - watching a beautiful mountain lion being shot out of a damn tree (it was chased up there by dogs) and tumbling down from the tree and down a hill was about the saddest thing I've seen in a while. It's one thing to read about it, it's another to see it.

33,000 elephants killed a year, most of them for their ivory.

Young lions are separated from their mothers, when the males are fully grown they are shot and killed for hunting fees.

Utterly disgusted and disgusted that Mike, with all his knowledge about animal conservation would want to involve The Beach Boys name with this atrocious "sport".

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 04, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »

Do Brian and Al have any legitimate legal way to stop this? Even if they teamed up with Carl and Dennis's estates?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2020, 02:16:23 PM »

Now, it's easy to then say that Brian (and Carl's estate) have some responsibility in the current license state. That's very true. But a scenario that hasn't ever really been theorized is this: What if, in 1998/99, Brian and Carl's estate had joined with Al to just not license the name at all? Would Mike have just run away with his tail between his legs, or would an even *more epic* series of lawsuits have ensued between them all back then?

I theorize that Mike would have thrown a legal hissy fit and never, ever would have stopped suing everyone involved in order to get the license.  Truly I believe this. And he'd also be way, way more bitter, and incentivized to continually make everyone's lives as miserable as possible, and we'd have had a bunch more frivolous 2005-esque lawsuits (separate from trying to get the license).

The only time in the band's history I've ever seen Mike seemingly "run away with his tail between his legs" would be the very late '60s and early '70s, when he ceased being a "frontman" and just stepped back and let Carl and the others take the lead. Because he probably didn't have much of a leg to stand on at that point, so it was seemingly out of necessity. It seemed like Mike was just in the background, adding some solid backing vocals and occasional leads, and not the center of attention. And that was when the band was at its best. I always wondered if he was secretly stewing during this time. Honestly, maybe that diminished power for him was (along with the fasting) a contributing factor to why he was institutionalized briefly in 1970. Dude likes power so so much, it must have been a blow.

And then American Graffiti and Endless Summer happened, and the decay started. Give Mike more and more power, and the eventual endgame is Feb. 5, 2020.

Actually, maybe this is all indirectly George Lucas' fault. MikeClunkey.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:32:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2020, 02:23:17 PM »

Do Brian and Al have any legitimate legal way to stop this? Even if they teamed up with Carl and Dennis's estates?

No. Dennis's estate has no say. Carl's does, but they're unlikely to vote against Mike on much of anything (the sole known exception apparently being allowing the "Love & Mercy" movie score to be released). But even if they all banded together, I mean, this gig is *tomorrow*. No way to stop it.

I mean, BRI I guess could go try to get an emergency temporary court injunction. Dunno if they'd succeed. All it would mean is more lawyer bills, and escalating this thing even further. This whole thing is making what was previously a relatively peaceful "status quo" situation go off the rails.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 04, 2020, 02:31:28 PM »

What does a keynote speaker talk about at a Safari Club convention anyway?
Best way to shot a giraffe in the neck?
Do they have slide shows?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 04, 2020, 02:54:00 PM »

Maybe Bruce wearing his awful Big Dog brand t-shirts on Full House was a premonition.

Aw, come on CD! You can't be serious! Who in the world gives a flying eff about what John Stamos thinks?? Maybe the best thing to come out of this horrible episode is that he doesn't agree with his butt buddy Mike and possibly will decline appearing with him. YIPPY!!! Other than that, who gives a rat's ass? Stamos has already helped Mike Love water down the legacy and now Mike is putting the icing on his cake and eating it too.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2020, 02:57:27 PM »

Oh boy, look what just got posted 5 hours ago on SCI's YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXSqyZhQ5Lg

"Join America's most radical pro hunting group, and trigger an anti-hunting extremist absolutely free."

Gee, I wonder what this was posted in response to?

Again, I keep going back to Mike's 'Pacific Ocean Blues' lyrics - according to this commercial by SCI Mike would be considered an "anti-hunting extremist" for asking people in that song to "holler" at the people slaughtering the animals. I love that SCI's response to this outcry is to call those opposed to them "extremists" and asking hunters to actively trigger these people. Mike, for the love of it, do you see who you're aligning yourself with here?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:00:41 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »

Aw, come on CD! You can't be serious! Who in the world gives a flying eff about what John Stamos thinks?? Maybe the best thing to come out of this horrible episode is that he doesn't agree with his butt buddy Mike and possibly will decline appearing with him. YIPPY!!! Other than that, who gives a rat's ass? Stamos has already helped Mike Love water down the legacy and now Mike is putting the icing on his cake and eating it too.

I want to know what Stamos will say, because he will be in an impossible position. He either has to actually say something against his buddy, or take a cowardly no comment stance.

Mike is going to find it's a very lonely road where he can find people who actually publicly stand up for him on this, especially celebrities. I think people who behave this way and salivate at the idea of murdering animals for fun should be isolated, and that seems to be exactly what's happening to him. Mike has already shown he won't do the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing. Maybe some of his friends deserting him will cause him to reconsider. Who knows. I just don't want the band to play that damn gig.

Personally I don't actually really care what Stamos thinks, but I'm sure that he thinks it's a disgusting thing for the band to play. I have little doubt of that.
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »

I think it is embarrassing for Brian Wilson and Al Jardine to stoop to this level and ask other fans to petition 'their' band.  Stupid and petty.  Just like the media to pounce on a topic and target it before moving on to the next.  Its a freaking paid concert.   Roll Eyes  Like some big change has occurred or something.  Why would Brian allow himself to get sucked into the liberal trolls of the world.   So next time I attend a Brian Wilson concert, I'm sure he'll stop me before entering and make me answer political questions to ensure that I am correctly aligned with his causes and beliefs.   The same boycotting liberals want the Christian cake baker to align with the homosexual ceremonial requests.  Whatever.

Why are they not allowed to have their own beliefs? Just because they don’t align with your causes and beliefs?
If it is truly reflective of their own beliefs/opinions, then, I totally agree.  Free country, free speech and more power to them.  I just think its stupid to join in on the public display of shaming against a music concert.  The petition frames the organization with an obvious weight to a specific agenda.   Is Mike replacing the backdrop video with hunters shooting the animals down?  Is Mike coming out with ivory horns and standing on a bear rug?  No, he's just going a generic paid concert.   I've had plenty of negative thoughts towards Mike Love, but can remember him playing the 4th of July in Harrisburg, PA for Democratic Governor Ed Rendell who claimed they were best friends for a long time.  I don't think Mike is always as conservative as some think...I think he just has friends in power and likes to maintain those friendships.

This convention/entity approves the killing of elephants in Africa....the second most intelligent creature on the planet. Mike is playing a concert being paid with money made by the sale/support of these exotic animal body parts....thus, this isn't a "generic paid concert". If Mike wants to do this under his own name, totally fine...I would still disapprove but I wouldn't boycott concerts I don't go to and a solo discography I don't listen to anyways. But instead he is using The Beach Boys name - dragging down the reputation of the music and legacy.

When you're being paid with dirty money it's pretty low to hide behind a monicker when collecting the check.

At some point you have to stand up for what you actually believe in. Years ago Mike wrote lyrics specifically protesting the slaughter of innocent wildlife - so if there is outrage because of his involvement in this convention then it is partially due to the very conservation movement he has helped promote for decades.

The fact that you can earnestly type that with a straight face when the side opposing it is typically the same side supporting the killing of the the first most intelligent creature on the planet, humans.  Abortions of irresponsible behavior.  Geez...priorities...  To the poster before this one replying to me, I totally see your point...honestly.  But, what I thought was stupid was that Brian didn't just separate or distance himself from it....he encouraged others to hurt its reputation.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »

I think it is embarrassing for Brian Wilson and Al Jardine to stoop to this level and ask other fans to petition 'their' band.  Stupid and petty.  Just like the media to pounce on a topic and target it before moving on to the next.  Its a freaking paid concert.   Roll Eyes  Like some big change has occurred or something.  Why would Brian allow himself to get sucked into the liberal trolls of the world.   So next time I attend a Brian Wilson concert, I'm sure he'll stop me before entering and make me answer political questions to ensure that I am correctly aligned with his causes and beliefs.   The same boycotting liberals want the Christian cake baker to align with the homosexual ceremonial requests.  Whatever.

Why are they not allowed to have their own beliefs? Just because they don’t align with your causes and beliefs?
If it is truly reflective of their own beliefs/opinions, then, I totally agree.  Free country, free speech and more power to them.  I just think its stupid to join in on the public display of shaming against a music concert.  The petition frames the organization with an obvious weight to a specific agenda.   Is Mike replacing the backdrop video with hunters shooting the animals down?  Is Mike coming out with ivory horns and standing on a bear rug?  No, he's just going a generic paid concert.   I've had plenty of negative thoughts towards Mike Love, but can remember him playing the 4th of July in Harrisburg, PA for Democratic Governor Ed Rendell who claimed they were best friends for a long time.  I don't think Mike is always as conservative as some think...I think he just has friends in power and likes to maintain those friendships.

This convention/entity approves the killing of elephants in Africa....the second most intelligent creature on the planet. Mike is playing a concert being paid with money made by the sale/support of these exotic animal body parts....thus, this isn't a "generic paid concert". If Mike wants to do this under his own name, totally fine...I would still disapprove but I wouldn't boycott concerts I don't go to and a solo discography I don't listen to anyways. But instead he is using The Beach Boys name - dragging down the reputation of the music and legacy.

When you're being paid with dirty money it's pretty low to hide behind a monicker when collecting the check.

At some point you have to stand up for what you actually believe in. Years ago Mike wrote lyrics specifically protesting the slaughter of innocent wildlife - so if there is outrage because of his involvement in this convention then it is partially due to the very conservation movement he has helped promote for decades.

The fact that you can earnestly type that with a straight face when the side opposing it is typically the same side supporting the killing of the the first most intelligent creature on the planet, humans.  Abortions of irresponsible behavior.  Geez...priorities...  To the poster before this one replying to me, I totally see your point...honestly.  But, what I thought was stupid was that Brian didn't just separate or distance himself from it....he encouraged others to hurt its reputation.

How about instead of generalizing everyone who isn't in favor of trophy hunting, realize that some of us, people LIKE ME are against abortion (especially what laws are being passed in my state right now). I also enjoy my second amendment right and shoot guns. And I say all of this knowing I'm probably offending a lot of posters right now...people whom I respect and some I consider friends. But I'm really getting tired of people like you trying to turn this into some political circus. This isn't about left vs right, this is right vs wrong.

Killing for FUN is f***ed up. That is the point here. Humanity is a complicated mess of ideas and cultures. It's not the black and white world that Fox News and CNN want everyone to think it is. People are hypocrites, people do illogical things, people can support one thing and support something seemingly opposite at the same time.

But what should be universally agreed upon is that killing for fun/ego/selfies/trophies is appallingly f***ed up, and that The Beach Boys (ya know, that band that spent years being a mouthpiece for environmental causes) of all bands are supporting this is wildly disgusting.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:28:14 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2020, 03:42:39 PM »

I wonder if Mike realises that if only one promoter for an upcoming concert cancels, then this small private Safari gig costs him money?

Also incredible that BRI never put in a clause requiring Mike to not damage the groups name by excepting this type of gig, and if he did, voting members could veto it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2020, 03:43:50 PM »

It’s always about something else than the topic at hand with lovesters... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2020, 03:49:26 PM »

Wow! Just f***!ng wow!

Don is looking forward to his speech at the Safari Club convention and is proud to add Brian Wilson to the list of liberal Hollywood elites who he has successfully triggered,” Andy Surabian, a spokesman for Mr. Trump, said on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/04/us/brian-wilson-beach-boys.html

What a piece of sh!t.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2020, 03:54:25 PM »

Wow! Just f***!ng wow!

Don is looking forward to his speech at the Safari Club convention and is proud to add Brian Wilson to the list of liberal Hollywood elites who he has successfully triggered,” Andy Surabian, a spokesman for Mr. Trump, said on Tuesday.

What a piece of sh!t.

Oh, man, what an egotistical ass-clown.  "He" didn't trigger anyone.  No one (or at least almost no one) would be crying foul if Mike's band were simply playing Jr's birthday party.  The objection here is to this Safari club that promotes trophy hunting.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »

Wow! Just f***!ng wow!

What a piece of sh!t.

So now Mike, if he continues with this event, is giving his stamp approval to the POS son of the POS president of the US mocking his cousin for standing up for animals not being murdered for fun.

POS indeed. Unf*ckingbelievable.

Oh how I hope Mike loses the license over this.    

I think a good amount of folks who have aligned themselves with Mike in the past are having a moment of self-reckoning right about now...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:09:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2020, 03:59:28 PM »

Wow! Just f***!ng wow!

What a piece of sh!t.

Then maybe these aholes should put their money where their mouth is...and boycott Mike’s performance at the SCI as well...especially since all of the music that will be performed there was written by that known “liberal Hollywood elite” Brian Wilson.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:00:52 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2020, 04:05:56 PM »

Mike sold out his own cousin for the Trumps. M&B should have the name taken away immediately....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2020, 04:07:03 PM »

Mike sold out his own cousin for the Trumps. M&B should have the name taken away immediately....

I would not be at all surprised if there are some actual behind the scenes meetings or calls with lawyers at the moment, discussing that possibility right now.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2020, 04:10:20 PM »

Can Brian refuse to let his songs be played under songwriting ownership?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 04, 2020, 04:13:16 PM »

I would not be at all surprised if there are some actual behind the scenes meetings or calls with lawyers at the moment, discussing that possibility right now.

Probably a bit late now but I wonder if this could become a ‘Mike Love’ show? Same band but remove the brand name. Wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference to attendees at this stage.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 04, 2020, 04:17:13 PM »

Probably a bit late now but I wonder if this could become a ‘Mike Love’ show? Same band but remove the brand name. Wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference to attendees at this stage.

Mike I bet wouldn't allow that, because it'd be a sign of weakness to his narcissistic ego, allowing the world to clearly see that The Beach Boys live band in 2020 is a fictitious thing, and really just the Mike Love Band. He'd probably fear that would weaken himself in some fashion so I don't see it happening unless he was forced to, which at this late time seems very unlikely.

And actually, it would make a difference to Don Jr, who is all intent about not backing down an inch to "liberal elites", and Mike with his tougue up their butts surely wouldn't want to appear weak, methinks. And Don Jr would probably use that as some sort of mocking thing to hang over the whole event. Bully that he is.

Frankly, at this point, Don's statement seems to be about sticking it to Brian Wilson as much as possible.

You want to talk about a power imbalance?  The son of the most powerful man in the world just publicly picked on/mocked a guy who was bullied - and literally has brain damage - from his bully psychiatrist, who was brought in to treat Brian's conditions resulting from his bully father.

There will never be another person in rock music hated as much as Mike. Salieri for all times.

Most any BBs fans with a conscience right now should be livid if they really think about this.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:42:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 04, 2020, 04:34:11 PM »

I think it is embarrassing for Brian Wilson and Al Jardine to stoop to this level and ask other fans to petition 'their' band.  Stupid and petty.  Just like the media to pounce on a topic and target it before moving on to the next.  Its a freaking paid concert.   Roll Eyes  Like some big change has occurred or something.  Why would Brian allow himself to get sucked into the liberal trolls of the world.   So next time I attend a Brian Wilson concert, I'm sure he'll stop me before entering and make me answer political questions to ensure that I am correctly aligned with his causes and beliefs.   The same boycotting liberals want the Christian cake baker to align with the homosexual ceremonial requests.  Whatever.

If it is truly reflective of their own beliefs/opinions, then, I totally agree.  Free country, free speech and more power to them.  I just think its stupid to join in on the public display of shaming against a music concert.  The petition frames the organization with an obvious weight to a specific agenda.   Is Mike replacing the backdrop video with hunters shooting the animals down?  Is Mike coming out with ivory horns and standing on a bear rug?  No, he's just going a generic paid concert.   I've had plenty of negative thoughts towards Mike Love, but can remember him playing the 4th of July in Harrisburg, PA for Democratic Governor Ed Rendell who claimed they were best friends for a long time.  I don't think Mike is always as conservative as some think...I think he just has friends in power and likes to maintain those friendships.

The fact that you can earnestly type that with a straight face when the side opposing it is typically the same side supporting the killing of the the first most intelligent creature on the planet, humans.  Abortions of irresponsible behavior.  Geez...priorities...  To the poster before this one replying to me, I totally see your point...honestly.  But, what I thought was stupid was that Brian didn't just separate or distance himself from it....he encouraged others to hurt its reputation.

How about instead of generalizing everyone who isn't in favor of trophy hunting, realize that some of us, people LIKE ME are against abortion (especially what laws are being passed in my state right now). I also enjoy my second amendment right and shoot guns. And I say all of this knowing I'm probably offending a lot of posters right now...people whom I respect and some I consider friends. But I'm really getting tired of people like you trying to turn this into some political circus. This isn't about left vs right, this is right vs wrong.

Killing for FUN is f***ed up. That is the point here. Humanity is a complicated mess of ideas and cultures. It's not the black and white world that Fox News and CNN want everyone to think it is. People are hypocrites, people do illogical things, people can support one thing and support something seemingly opposite at the same time.

But what should be universally agreed upon is that killing for fun/ego/selfies/trophies is appallingly f***ed up, and that The Beach Boys (ya know, that band that spent years being a mouthpiece for environmental causes) of all bands are supporting this is wildly disgusting.

rab2591, I apologize for generalizing you and others who simply oppose this practice. I don't
 support trophy hunting either but I obviously dont have such strong feelings to boycott when I had the opinion that much of the boycott was political based.   
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 04, 2020, 04:36:54 PM »

I wonder how that certain poster on the EH board will defend this....

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx