gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:12:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 73926 times)
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2020, 11:40:50 AM »

I think it is embarrassing for Brian Wilson and Al Jardine to stoop to this level and ask other fans to petition 'their' band.  Stupid and petty.  Just like the media to pounce on a topic and target it before moving on to the next.  Its a freaking paid concert.   Roll Eyes  Like some big change has occurred or something.  Why would Brian allow himself to get sucked into the liberal trolls of the world.   So next time I attend a Brian Wilson concert, I'm sure he'll stop me before entering and make me answer political questions to ensure that I am correctly aligned with his causes and beliefs.   The same boycotting liberals want the Christian cake baker to align with the homosexual ceremonial requests.  Whatever.

Why are they not allowed to have their own beliefs? Just because they don’t align with your causes and beliefs?
If it is truly reflective of their own beliefs/opinions, then, I totally agree.  Free country, free speech and more power to them.  I just think its stupid to join in on the public display of shaming against a music concert.  The petition frames the organization with an obvious weight to a specific agenda.   Is Mike replacing the backdrop video with hunters shooting the animals down?  Is Mike coming out with ivory horns and standing on a bear rug?  No, he's just going a generic paid concert.   I've had plenty of negative thoughts towards Mike Love, but can remember him playing the 4th of July in Harrisburg, PA for Democratic Governor Ed Rendell who claimed they were best friends for a long time.  I don't think Mike is always as conservative as some think...I think he just has friends in power and likes to maintain those friendships.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2020, 11:44:01 AM »

While I appreciate otherwise arguably overly-sympathetic Mike defenders standing up and calling Mike and Bruce out on this gig, I somehow doubt many of them are going to boycott anything going forward, and I say this in a completely neutral fashion. I'm not judging whether they should or not, I just think most of those most sympathetic to Mike who are opposed to this gig will still be attending Mike gigs, and probably not lingering on this event once it has passed.

It would be harsh to expect AGD to do this given that his entire public profile is invested in the work. I would, however, hope that he might no longer give any space to any future concerts by Mike and Bruce's group. That ought to be a fairly obvious thing to boycott.

AGD has been blasting Mike apologists on the EH board.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2020, 11:44:42 AM »

I think he just has friends in power and likes to maintain those friendships.

Of this I can agree completely. It's all about some sick, twisted, narcissistic prioritization of slobbing on the knobs of powerful people. That's more important to Mike, than say, maintaining a stance on not killing animals and caring for the Earth that he took on so many songs, and has preached for decades. Now even Dennis' solo album is tainted too.

And dragging the brand down with it. And playing songs that his cousin wrote that his cousin doesn't want him playing. A true phony whose priorities are disgustingly out of whack. Find me a bigger phony in the music industry. I double dare anyone.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:50:26 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2020, 11:45:36 AM »

I think it is embarrassing for Brian Wilson and Al Jardine to stoop to this level and ask other fans to petition 'their' band.  Stupid and petty.  Just like the media to pounce on a topic and target it before moving on to the next.  Its a freaking paid concert.   Roll Eyes  Like some big change has occurred or something.  Why would Brian allow himself to get sucked into the liberal trolls of the world.   So next time I attend a Brian Wilson concert, I'm sure he'll stop me before entering and make me answer political questions to ensure that I am correctly aligned with his causes and beliefs.   The same boycotting liberals want the Christian cake baker to align with the homosexual ceremonial requests.  Whatever.

Why are they not allowed to have their own beliefs? Just because they don’t align with your causes and beliefs?
If it is truly reflective of their own beliefs/opinions, then, I totally agree.  Free country, free speech and more power to them.  I just think its stupid to join in on the public display of shaming against a music concert.  The petition frames the organization with an obvious weight to a specific agenda.   Is Mike replacing the backdrop video with hunters shooting the animals down?  Is Mike coming out with ivory horns and standing on a bear rug?  No, he's just going a generic paid concert.   I've had plenty of negative thoughts towards Mike Love, but can remember him playing the 4th of July in Harrisburg, PA for Democratic Governor Ed Rendell who claimed they were best friends for a long time.  I don't think Mike is always as conservative as some think...I think he just has friends in power and likes to maintain those friendships.

You are judged by the company you keep. And this is very dubious company, to say the least.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »

While I appreciate otherwise arguably overly-sympathetic Mike defenders standing up and calling Mike and Bruce out on this gig, I somehow doubt many of them are going to boycott anything going forward, and I say this in a completely neutral fashion. I'm not judging whether they should or not, I just think most of those most sympathetic to Mike who are opposed to this gig will still be attending Mike gigs, and probably not lingering on this event once it has passed.

It would be harsh to expect AGD to do this given that his entire public profile is invested in the work. I would, however, hope that he might no longer give any space to any future concerts by Mike and Bruce's group. That ought to be a fairly obvious thing to boycott.

AGD has been blasting Mike apologists on the EH board.

MUCH respect to AGD. Nobody should show blind allegiance to Mike in this time of a despicable turn of events. David Marks didn't show blind allegiance either, and he's clearly a true friend of Mike's. Much respect to David too.

The best thing that can happen is across-the-aisle factions getting together and uniting over a just cause. That it took such a cause to do that is tragic.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:58:13 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2020, 11:51:05 AM »

Nathan, I think the issue might be that your comment "Why would Brian allow himself to get sucked into the liberal trolls of the world?" both ignores the fact that Brian Wilson has an opinion of his own which he conveyed in the message, and that Brian (and Al) may have wanted to distance themselves from associating "The Beach Boys" of Mike Love's touring band playing this show with "The Beach Boys" that Brian and Al created and formed in Hawthorne. For many who chimed in on this issue, they may not realize there is such a separation, and if Brian and Al are not a part of Mike's touring group called The Beach Boys who are playing this gig, it's only fair for them to say we're not a part of this, and we don't support the beliefs of the group and members sponsoring this event...but we have no recourse.

You have to at least be fair in allowing Brian to share his opinion since it is a legacy and name he created, and also I think be a bit more accepting of the fact Brian has his own opinions and is not being sucked into any ideology or opinion against his own wishes.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2020, 12:03:05 PM »

This convention/entity approves the killing of elephants in Africa....the second most intelligent creature on the planet. Mike is playing a concert being paid with money made by the sale/support of these exotic animal body parts....thus, this isn't a "generic paid concert". If Mike wants to do this under his own name, totally fine...I would still disapprove but I wouldn't boycott concerts I don't go to and a solo discography I don't listen to anyways. But instead he is using The Beach Boys name - dragging down the reputation of the music and legacy.

When you're being paid with dirty money it's pretty low to hide behind a monicker when collecting the check.

At some point you have to stand up for what you actually believe in. Years ago Mike wrote lyrics specifically protesting the slaughter of innocent wildlife - so if there is outrage because of his involvement in this convention then it is partially due to the very conservation movement he has helped promote for decades.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2020, 12:44:50 PM »

Not sure if this has been pointed out, but the petition is now at 103,000+ signatures.

I have personally never seen such a unified front against Mike Love before. I wonder when the last time the fandom was in this much agreement with one another?

I've also never seen the ardent Mike Love apologists bend over backwards this much to defend the man. Apparently now the animals are causing traffic accidents so trophy hunters have to shoot them. Tell ya what, if you're driving through the African tundra and can't see a damn elephant crossing your path, you likely shouldn't be driving in the first place.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hodad
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2020, 12:45:27 PM »

howdy all....can someone tell me what the reference to 'EH' stands for....I am curious to know what our old friend AGD  is saying about Mr. Mike's further drift down the hole of no return....
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2020, 12:55:37 PM »

Endless Harmony Forum. It's the forum that Andrew Doe now moderates. Better take some Tylenol before you read some of those posts Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »

On the main page of MSN....
https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/brian-wilson-calls-on-fans-to-protest-the-beach-boys-upcoming-show/ar-BBZDExS?ocid=spartandhp

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2020, 01:06:37 PM »

As I've mentioned, it's pretty telling that both boards are nearly unified in disdain for this thing. There's pretty much just the one person, a former poster/member here, who is determined to stretch as much as it takes to defend Mike and this organization. We're literally closing in on "well, the giraffe could have killed Mike Love's kids first, soooo....."

Outside of the two boards, on Twitter/Facebook, etc., it does seem there's an attempt to backlash the backlash so to speak, trying to shoehorn Brian and Al into some sort of tree-hugging hippy liberal category. Or something. I'm not sure the people attacking Brian on this know exactly what they're even trying to say. I think they're trying to say they support trophy hunting, and that they like Mike Love because Mike is conservative, but are trying to come up with every conceivable way to say that without actually saying it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2020, 01:17:38 PM »

Not sure if this has been pointed out, but the petition is now at 103,000+ signatures.

I have personally never seen such a unified front against Mike Love before. I wonder when the last time the fandom was in this much agreement with one another?

I've also never seen the ardent Mike Love apologists bend over backwards this much to defend the man. Apparently now the animals are causing traffic accidents so trophy hunters have to shoot them. Tell ya what, if you're driving through the African tundra and can't see a damn elephant crossing your path, you likely shouldn't be driving in the first place.

I'm telling ya, rab2591 - my idea of Mike using the killing of horses/stopping druggies from sniffing glue in a Wilsonlike manner may prove to not be all that farfetched from how people will bend themselves into pretzels to defend this guy  LOL
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:25:47 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2020, 01:19:48 PM »

Outside of the two boards, on Twitter/Facebook, etc., it does seem there's an attempt to backlash the backlash so to speak, trying to shoehorn Brian and Al into some sort of tree-hugging hippy liberal category.  

Then I guess they'd better lump Mike's loyal buddy David Marks into that too. Major straw grab to try and besmirch people who are outraged. It's simply these folks (Brian, Al, Dave, + most of the rest of the world) having a modicum of ethics and finally being pushed too far to just blindly go along with Mr. Phonytivity.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:24:05 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »

As I've mentioned, it's pretty telling that both boards are nearly unified in disdain for this thing. There's pretty much just the one person, a former poster/member here, who is determined to stretch as much as it takes to defend Mike and this organization. We're literally closing in on "well, the giraffe could have killed Mike Love's kids first, soooo....."

Outside of the two boards, on Twitter/Facebook, etc., it does seem there's an attempt to backlash the backlash so to speak, trying to shoehorn Brian and Al into some sort of tree-hugging hippy liberal category. Or something. I'm not sure the people attacking Brian on this know exactly what they're even trying to say. I think they're trying to say they support trophy hunting, and that they like Mike Love because Mike is conservative, but are trying to come up with every conceivable way to say that without actually saying it.
Pretty much, yeah

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2020, 01:25:46 PM »

Outside of the two boards, on Twitter/Facebook, etc., it does seem there's an attempt to backlash the backlash so to speak, trying to shoehorn Brian and Al into some sort of tree-hugging hippy liberal category. 

Then I guess they'd better lump Mike's loyal buddy David Marks into that too. Major straw grab to try and besmirch people who are outraged. It's simply these folks (Brian, Al, Dave, + most of the rest of the world) having a modicum of ethics and finally being pushed too far to just blindly go along with Mr. Phonytivity.

My main thing is the public needs to know it’s Mike Love NOT the “Beach Boys”. Not to beat a dead horse but the idea of the legacy being stained sickens me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2020, 01:25:56 PM »

It's over 100,000 now and it's on the front page of the BBC

Out of control now, Mike might just cancel.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2020, 01:26:32 PM »

My main thing is the public needs to know it’s Mike Love NOT the “Beach Boys”. Not to beat a dead horse but the idea of the legacy being stained sickens me

Worst mistake that Brian and company ever made was letting Mike have the rights to the brand name.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:30:13 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »

Interestingly, while they seem to be scrubbing negative comments from Mike's Facebook page as they always have over the years, the critical comments on Mike's Twitter are being left intact.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2020, 01:31:35 PM »

Interestingly, while they seem to be scrubbing negative comments from Mike's Facebook page as they always have over the years, the critical comments on Mike's Twitter are being left intact.

Probably an oversight. I'll bet it won't be long before that is corrected.

It would be amazing to see a live video feed of comments on Mr. Fundamental Right to Free Speech's FB page being deleted as the page is refreshed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2020, 01:32:13 PM »

Worst mistake that Brian and company ever made was letting Mike have the rights to the brand name.

Amen.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2020, 01:33:36 PM »

Ok, I've decided to sign it. This is picking up more steam.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2020, 01:34:42 PM »

Amen.

No way in hell that this would happen if Carl were alive.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:35:56 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »

So true.  Mike represents just 25% of the voting shares of BRI.  The other 75% (Brian, Al, Justyn & Jonah) could have ended his schtick a long time ago if they wanted to.  But, I guess it boils down to, well, as they say in the mafia... "he's a good earner." 

For me, touring operation called "The Beach Boys" died with Carl Wilson in 1998.  Any remaining sense that the touring "Beach Boys" were the musical group that Brian founded in 1961 was gone.  The 50th anniversary tour was just a weird aberration. 

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 04, 2020, 01:49:33 PM »

So true.  Mike represents just 25% of the voting shares of BRI.  The other 75% (Brian, Al, Justyn & Jonah) could have ended his schtick a long time ago if they wanted to.  But, I guess it boils down to, well, as they say in the mafia... "he's a good earner."  

There's an element of truth to that, but also, it's not just that Mike makes money for them... it's the fact that it would be a LEGAL NIGHTMARE to try and change the status quo, and nobody wants that kind of stress approaching 80.

I think it's fair to say that in 1998 when they let the touring agreement happen, they didn't have an expectation that this 2020 crap would ever happen.

I imagine it even would have been a legal nightmare then in 1998 to deprive Mike of the license (and who knows how litigious he would have gotten in general, just look at his bogus 2005 lawsuit complete with fake victims - and that was Mike lashing out *without* his license hanging in the balance - imagine what bully Mike + bully lawyers would have done if Mike was legit threatened with losing the license?)... to try and do it now would be much harder, plus everyone is old and does not need the stress.

Plus, I actually think in 1998 that Brian and Carl's estate were also trying to just be big people and let Mike have the right to tour in an effort not to take away something that meant so much to him. I really think that was part of the initial decision. Not saying that profiting wasn't part of it too. Brian and Mike attended each others' mid 1990s weddings from some photos I've seen, so there was some attempt at going out of their way to not be dicks to each other back then. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:55:12 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx