gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:23:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 73941 times)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2020, 05:14:07 AM »

Just read on Brian's MB that signatures have hit 75,000.

They say that all publicity is good publicity - the publicity is probably doing Brian and Al a lot more good than Mike and Bruce.
sjeffery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2020, 05:42:24 AM »

Over 76,000 signatures now.

I just reposted Brian and Al's statement on Mike's FB page (under concert dates) and on The Beach Boys FB page. We will see how long they remain.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2020, 06:33:52 AM »

This is so dumb. Regardless of how one feels about the issue, and regardless of whether one feels the whole thing is getting blown out of proportion, this was actually a good PR moment handed to Mike on a silver platter, and he won't take it.

This is really strange that Mike is choosing this hill to die on. It makes me wonder what the deal is with booking this gig.

Yet another stupid, *100% AVOIDABLE* mess.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2020, 06:42:24 AM »

Monday night, Variety obtained a statement from Love, in response to the petition and Wilson’s support of it: “We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, support freedom of thought and expression as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans. Peace & Love, Mike Love.”

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/brian-wilson-beach-boys-boycott-hunting-convention-donald-trump-jr-1203491537/

A great night of music! Reminds me of this:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2020, 06:53:16 AM »

I had kind of semi-forgotten that Mike canceled a Sea World gig back in 2014 under (very generally) similar circumstances:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/beach-boys-benatar-cancel-busch-gardens-performances-in-seaworld-controversy/53134/

Wtf is up with this Safari gig?

And, as has been asked in the past, while I absolutely acknowledge the need for people in Mike's band to retain jobs and provide for themselves and family, I'm curious if there isn't one single person in Mike's band that is giving pause to doing this gig? Isn't Scott Totten also a staunch vegetarian too? I get it, Bruce would do a two-night run with Mike hitting Mordor followed by a gig over the lava moat at Darth Vader's castle, but surely someone in Mike's band has to feel gross doing this type of gig, right?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:55:28 AM by HeyJude » Logged

sjeffery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2020, 07:02:54 AM »

Mike makes a statement:

Monday night, Variety obtained a statement from Love, in response to the petition and Wilson’s support of it: “We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, support freedom of thought and expression as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans. Peace & Love, Mike Love.”

From Beach Boys Opinion Page on FB
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:04:16 AM by sjeffery - Anonymous no longer! » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2020, 07:07:58 AM »

I had kind of semi-forgotten that Mike canceled a Sea World gig back in 2014 under (very generally) similar circumstances:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/beach-boys-benatar-cancel-busch-gardens-performances-in-seaworld-controversy/53134/

And, as has been asked in the past, while I absolutely acknowledge the need for people in Mike's band to retain jobs and provide for themselves and family, I'm curious if there isn't one single person in Mike's band that is giving pause to doing this gig? Isn't Scott Totten also a staunch vegetarian too? I get it, Bruce would do a two-night run with Mike hitting Mordor followed by a gig over the lava moat at Darth Vader's castle, but surely someone in Mike's band has to feel gross doing this type of gig, right?

Just guessing but I'd imagine refusal to play the gig might end up with you losing your job.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2020, 07:12:35 AM »

This is so dumb. Regardless of how one feels about the issue, and regardless of whether one feels the whole thing is getting blown out of proportion, this was actually a good PR moment handed to Mike on a silver platter, and he won't take it.

This is really strange that Mike is choosing this hill to die on. It makes me wonder what the deal is with booking this gig.

Yet another stupid, *100% AVOIDABLE* mess.

I think it's the Trump thing. Mike is such an ass kisser for people in power that he probably doesn't want to "offend" them by canceling. He'd rather have the president pat him on the back and say "good job, Mike! You showed them!"…

That is probably more meaningful to him than anything else. Because that's what narcissists do, they just crave crave crave power and adulation from other people in power. Also, Trump is an expert at digging up dirt on other people so that he can get people to do what he wants. Maybe he doesn't want to cross him. It's very weird.

Because yes, I even read a comment from David Beard that said "Mike doesn't support trophy hunting", so it does indeed beg the question, why is he choosing this hill to die on? Maybe he's digging in his heels just so that only he can be the one who makes the decision and not feel pressured by anyone else into doing anything. Even if he knows it's wrong. Although I frankly don't know if that narcissist knows right from wrong in his heart anymore. His staggering hypocrisy shows him to be truly warped on an ethical level. Laughably so.

And I want to just laugh at this and think about how funny it is that this guy is such a clueless, out of touch jerk, but then I think about the legacy and it just makes me want to cry.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:18:15 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2020, 07:13:28 AM »

Just guessing but I'd imagine refusal to play the gig might end up with you losing your job.

Yes, hence my reference to realizing they need to retain their jobs. But I'm not 100% convinced he'd fire someone on the spot if they thoughtfully told him they were uncomfortable doing the gig. Or, perhaps they could post online saying they are obligated to play, but they oppose this organization.

I don't expect anything like that, I'm well aware of the realities of all of this. But I also never thought Brian and Al would publicly rebuke a Mike gig, so I was curious if anyone else might have some gumption in addressing this situation.

Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2020, 07:16:30 AM »

The problem with Mike is that it's never really about convictions. At least not anymore. Everything in what he does is about Mike, Mike's ego and hailing Mike as a good guy and / or a victim of the Wilsons, those druggies who stole his money and writing credits. TM, environmental protection, studying with Maharishi... it's all about praising Mike and singing about what a great, cool, peaceful guy he is. A song like "Brian's Back" is almost unlistenable to me, because it's not about Brian, it's about Mike's feelings and what a big-hearted sentimental sap he is.

So I can't really say that I'm surprised by this new "100% avoidable mess". Mike is not a man of convictions. He's an opportunist who'll just go where the money is. And I can understand that : he's an old guy and he doesn't really care anymore. The problem is that he craves acceptance by powerful people. It's rather pathetic, really. That's the only reason why he's dragging his former bandmates into this mess. When he does something like this, he just makes it impossible not to see him as an old fool, a hypocrit, someone who'd betray his ideals (and those of the Beach Boys) in a second. Invoking freedom of speech in this instance is really one of the most hypocritical things I've heard him say. And, of course, he'll never ever admit he's made a mistake. I almost pity him.

Every family has a cousin who's a hick, who's so full of himself and out of touch with the world that it becomes laughable. When that cousin becomes the spokesman for the family, trouble is inevitable.

I'm not sure what the idea was behind this show, but I guess Mike must have thought that nobody would notice.

I wonder what Bruce's opinion is on all this. Does he stand behind Mike and Mike's decisions in any circumstance? Has Bruce ever criticized Mike or shown his disagreement in the past?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:42:18 AM by Toursiveu » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2020, 07:18:03 AM »

In Mike's eyes, everyone in "his" band has always been and will always be replaceable, even Scott Totten who has just about single-handedly turned a state fair sideshow into a respectable touring act.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2020, 07:25:17 AM »

In Mike's eyes, everyone in "his" band has always been and will always be replaceable, even Scott Totten who has just about single-handedly turned a state fair sideshow into a respectable touring act.

I wouldn't ever expect it to happen, but if Mike's entire band abruptly quit over this, it would be some major karma. I wonder if a touring band this famous has ever staged a walkout over a gig. I understand they have their own livelihoods and families, so it's extremely unlikely. And I have no idea what their thoughts are on the matter, but I can't imagine they collectively think this is a good thing. I'll bet that most of them are just biting their tongue.

Imagine an evening of playing a bunch of songs written by Brian- who emphatically does not want those songs to be played. And being expected to be "positive" and happy externally onstage. If there's anyone I feel bad for, it's pretty much anyone who has to go through with that.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:27:24 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2020, 07:26:34 AM »

Because yes, I even read a comment from David Beard that said "Mike doesn't support trophy hunting", so it does indeed beg the question, why is he choosing this hill to die on?

While I applaud ESQ for not literally ignoring this story, which is I'm sure what anyone would prefer to be able to do, I think some folks who are known to be quite sympathetic to Mike are literally having an "unable to process data" moment here.

If Mike had a history of doing a plethora of gigs for various organizations including tons of organizations that we know he doesn't agree with, then maybe, MAYBE, I'd buy the argument that he's just doing a gig and it's all about free speech and he doesn't have to agree with the organization, etc. But that's of course not the case. Mike is clearly going out of his way to do this gig, now *defiantly* so.

His statement is a G-rated version of "F--k you, I'm doing the show." He couldn't even muster a rote "while I personally don't agree with trophy hunting, blah blah blah" type of statement.

In the past, going over other band political BS, it has often been posited that Mike must hate Melinda more than he likes being with Brian in the band. The same would appear to be true of this latest gig. He digs doing a Trump-friendly gig more than he abhors trophy hunting.

The only two unique factors about this gig are what the organization stands for, and the Trump keynote speaker connection. Anything else that would possibly appeal to Mike about this gig would be true of any number of other gigs. If he gets off on corporate/private gigs, he already does a bunch of those. If he really needs to feel like he's digging into conservative causes, he already has done fundraisers and other events of that nature. And so on.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:31:05 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2020, 07:29:32 AM »

I wouldn't ever expect it to happen, but if Mike's entire band abruptly quit over this, it would be some major karma. I wonder if a touring band this famous has ever staged a walkout over a gig. I understand they have their own livelihoods and families, so it's extremely unlikely. And I have no idea what their thoughts are on the matter, but I can't imagine they collectively think this is a good thing. I'll bet that most of them are just biting their tongue.

Don't know of a band walking out on its leader in such scenarios. Obviously, full bands have pulled out of such gigs (as REO did on this one).

Individual members of bands have taken stands on occasion. When Bev Bevan joined Black Sabbath in the 80s during some downtime from ELO, he refused to do Black Sabbath gigs in South Africa, and he was canned and replaced.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2020, 07:44:55 AM »

His statement is a G-rated version of "F--k you, I'm doing the show." He couldn't even muster a rote "while I personally don't agree with trophy hunting, blah blah blah" type of statement.

In the past, going over other band political BS, it has often been posited that Mike must hate Melinda more than he likes being with Brian in the band. The same would appear to be true of this latest gig. He digs doing a Trump-friendly gig more than he abhors trophy hunting.

The only two unique factors about this gig are what the organization stands for, and the Trump keynote speaker connection. Anything else that would possibly appeal to Mike about this gig would be true of any number of other gigs. If he gets off on corporate/private gigs, he already does a bunch of those. If he really needs to feel like he's digging into conservative causes, he already has done fundraisers and other events of that nature. And so on.

Agree with everything you've said here. I love this band -- even Mike's current version of it -- and this is a depressing and awful situation on so many levels.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2020, 08:07:31 AM »

And as an aside, this is yet another situation where the presence of a strong band manager with an understanding of the damage to the larger brand would be extremely helpful.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2020, 08:15:02 AM »

Because yes, I even read a comment from David Beard that said "Mike doesn't support trophy hunting", so it does indeed beg the question, why is he choosing this hill to die on?

While I applaud ESQ for not literally ignoring this story, which is I'm sure what anyone would prefer to be able to do, I think some folks who are known to be quite sympathetic to Mike are literally having an "unable to process data" moment here.

The exact quote posted on Facebook is: "Hope this all gets sorted out because we know Mike Love does not support trophy hunting"

I'm going to be blunt here and say this in reply: ***If he doesn't support trophy hunting then why the f*ck is he playing this gig?***

Has logic flown out the window when it comes to either defending or supporting Mike Love? It really is that simple and logical. If Mike does not support or endorse trophy hunting, then he should not play this gig.

It is indeed an "unable to process data" moment with Mike and some of his supporters the way it seems, but it isn't the first time.

And it could be said if Mike Love doesn't support trophy hunting but wants to play this gig anyway for whatever reasons he has, why didn't he book it under his own name as he's done for other corporate gigs in the past instead of dragging the Beach Boys' name through the sh*t?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:16:46 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2020, 08:21:28 AM »

I'm really waiting for someone to photoshop the Summer In Paradise cover.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2020, 08:25:26 AM »

Unfortunately, it may be that Mike is going down the rabbit hole of double/tripling/quadrupling down on his political views as a hand full of increasingly marginalized "celebrities" have. The defiant nature of his decision to ignore the vast tidal wave of anti-Beach Boys sentiment makes me thing he's headed towards becoming another James Woods or Chuck Woolery or something of that ilk. With little left to lose, and perhaps just possibly increasingly unwilling to temper their thoughts or compromise in increasingly advanced age, these types have just gone into full defiant, marginalized mode.

In the past, I've always found that at some point, Mike was able to moderate his willingness to get super overtly political. Not that we didn't all know what his general views were, but he at least tried to sometimes couch those views in something that was less injurious to the band's name/brand/legacy.

Not so apparently now.

The one difference with Mike compared to some washed up b-list celebrities is that the "Beach Boys" name is still a significant source of income in multiple ways.

BRI should think about how they want to safeguard that name/brand going forward.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2020, 08:25:52 AM »

Summer in Paradise was referenced on FB - I was so disgusted seeing Mike Love's face I deleted the post until the author explained his reasoning!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2020, 08:28:47 AM »

In the meantime, here's a photo of Mike with the guy who did the "Summer in Paradise" cover art. Maybe someone can track *that* guy down to offer a rebuke? 

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:30:10 AM by HeyJude » Logged

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2020, 08:38:47 AM »

If mentioned elsewhere, sorry.

I just saw this topic on the search engine "Bing". It's currently on their home page. I immediately came here.

Wow, this story is getting some attention.

https://www.bing.com/?scope=web&mkt=en-US&FORM=IESR3N
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »

This is the latest report from the Reno Gazette Journal, "home" paper for the site of the convention and concert:

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/02/04/brian-wilson-beach-boys-boycott-sci-reno-2020-trump-jr/4650001002/

Contained in the article is the response so far from Beach Boys management:

>>>
Jerry Schilling, who has worked on-and-off with the band for decades, said he knows about the petition but declined to comment on it.

"I don't want to get into any press discussion about this," said Schilling, a longtime music industry professional who worked with the band from the late 1960s to the late '80s and is referred to as a manager in recent press accounts.

He referred a reporter to Love's website. Love did not respond to an email sent through the site.
<<<

So there's that.  Roll Eyes

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2020, 09:06:56 AM »

Now my own two cents...You have "The Beach Boys" - via Mike's touring group playing this show whether you agree with it or not - garnering more press of the negative variety than they have *in years*, and with a story picked up now by the national and international press, and the response is no comment?

All I can say is wow. If this isn't a "Houston, we have a problem" moment for the brand and corporate identity known as The Beach Boys via BRI thanks to Mike playing this gig, I don't know what would be.

Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2020, 09:17:54 AM »

I think it is embarrassing for Brian Wilson and Al Jardine to stoop to this level and ask other fans to petition 'their' band.  Stupid and petty.  Just like the media to pounce on a topic and target it before moving on to the next.  Its a freaking paid concert.   Roll Eyes  Like some big change has occurred or something.  Why would Brian allow himself to get sucked into the liberal trolls of the world.   So next time I attend a Brian Wilson concert, I'm sure he'll stop me before entering and make me answer political questions to ensure that I am correctly aligned with his causes and beliefs.   The same boycotting liberals want the Christian cake baker to align with the homosexual ceremonial requests.  Whatever.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:19:35 AM by Nathan Snyder » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx