gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:13:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 74006 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2020, 04:36:31 PM »

While I am totally against trophy hunting I'm not signing that petition

If Mike love wants to play that event, that is totally his right.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2020, 04:41:47 PM »

If they go through with the show, I sure can't wait to hear Mike respond to interviewers who will most certainly ask him about it in the future. Someone, if not him, then someone in his camp, is going to have to give some response at some point. It's either that, or even merely asking about this show is going to be on the list of interviewer "can't ask" types of questions. And yeah, maybe that'll be what he does.

Oh he'll just blame the Wilson's hard drug use (which is his go-to response when questioned about his own life).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2020, 04:48:06 PM »

If Mike love wants to play that event, that is totally his right.

If Mike Love did the gig under his own name I would have ZERO problem with it...Well, I would still think he's hypocritical but I wouldn't make this big a fuss about it. The problem is he is basically using The Beach Boys name to endorse this disgusting "sport".

If he wants to drag his own name through the mud, you're right that is totally his right. But instead he is dragging 50 years of amazing music and history through a cesspool.

Brian Wilson signed this petition which is basically him disowning his own music! That says a lot right there. I'm glad to stand with Brian and Al on this one.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »

If they go through with the show, I sure can't wait to hear Mike respond to interviewers who will most certainly ask him about it in the future. Someone, if not him, then someone in his camp, is going to have to give some response at some point. It's either that, or even merely asking about this show is going to be on the list of interviewer "can't ask" types of questions. And yeah, maybe that'll be what he does.

Oh he'll just blame the Wilson's hard drug use (which is his go-to response when questioned about his own life).

Maybe the logic is that killing more safari animals might lead to killing more horses, and horses are (were?) used to produce glue, and sniffing glue is akin to doing hard drugs, so playing the gig is a good thing, and ultimately all part of Mike's noble anti-drug WILSONS DID DRUGS AND I DIDN'T crusade.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:03:20 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2020, 05:09:45 PM »

Maybe the logic is that killing more safari animals might lead to killing more horses, and horses are (were?) used to produce glue, and sniffing glue is akin to doing hard drugs, so playing the gig is a good thing, and ultimately all part of Mike's noble anti-drug WILSONS DID DRUGS AND I DIDN'T crusade.

LOL

Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2020, 05:47:08 PM »

I’m actually not Don, but thanks again.

My bad ! Sorry I thought I was replying to Don Malcolm !
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2020, 05:53:14 PM »

Something seems slightly fishy about this, I highly doubt Brian was even aware of this concert before this was brought up to him.  Further I would also be willing to bet large sums it definitely was not Brian himself who posted this to his social media.  My own personal opinion and speculation is this has Melinda's handwriting all over it.  Again no proof but just my opinion, probably she was a away to stick a dagger to Mike, using Brian's name.  If Brian and Alan are so against this show happening, I would challenge them to not accept their cut of the 10 or 15 percent commission that Mike will end up paying to BRI for this show.  By my math Al and Brian combined stand to make 2,500 to 3,750 together just for this show.  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2020, 06:11:40 PM »

I highly doubt Brian was even aware of this concert before this was brought up to him.

How is this fishy? It was a private gig and I highly doubt Brian spends his nights and days pouring over The Beach Boys concert schedule. So this isn't some Maltese Falcon mystery why Brian became aware of the concert when he was told about it - normally the way people become aware of information is when they are told about that information.

Further I would also be willing to bet large sums it definitely was not Brian himself who posted this to his social media.

When he did his Q&A years back someone was typing the posts for him so he wouldn't have to bother with using a computer...this was all seen on video taken of the event. So bet your money away but you're not really making some shocking claim here.

My own personal opinion and speculation is this has Melinda's handwriting all over it.  Again no proof but just my opinion, probably she was a away to stick a dagger to Mike, using Brian's name.

Brian has said publicly that he thinks Mike is daunting to be around, Brian has also been sued by Mike for the dumbest reasons so I don't think Brian needs any help in disliking the guy. And yes, they are a married couple and business partners - usually two people with those labels ya know, work together on things. So I'm sure they were both made aware and I'm sure they both agreed to a plan of action.

Your perspective makes Brian seem like some kind of weekend-at-bernie's vegetable - which he 100% is not. I am sure Ray Lawlor will respond about this topic with information that refutes your charge here.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:12:07 PM by rab2591 » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2020, 06:13:45 PM »

Something seems slightly fishy about this, I highly doubt Brian was even aware of this concert before this was brought up to him.  Further I would also be willing to bet large sums it definitely was not Brian himself who posted this to his social media.  My own personal opinion and speculation is this has Melinda's handwriting all over it.  Again no proof but just my opinion, probably she was a away to stick a dagger to Mike, using Brian's name.  If Brian and Alan are so against this show happening, I would challenge them to not accept their cut of the 10 or 15 percent commission that Mike will end up paying to BRI for this show.  By my math Al and Brian combined stand to make 2,500 to 3,750 together just for this show.  

Just because Melinda is probably opposing this show herself, that doesn't mean that both Brian and Al can't also be in opposition to it. It's not a mutually exclusive thing. I could easily see that they were not aware of this gig until recently either.

As you can see, the vast majority of people across the aisle think this is a very bad move, so there's really nothing fishy about statements from Brian's page. And Al's.

Whatever damage Mike does to his reputation is of his own doing.

Also, I wouldn't doubt that Melinda wants to stick it to Mike. And frankly I don't blame her. Look how much Mike has so sh*t talked her in the media for years, and now he is dragging the brand name into the mud - causing even members of his Hardcore groups of defenders to say something in opposition... people are threatening to not support the entire brand anymore, which includes their own livelihoods and royalties. She has every right to be livid about this.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:18:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2020, 06:18:28 PM »

Also, I wouldn't doubt that Melinda wants to stick it to Mike. And frankly I don't blame her. Look how much Mike has so sh*t talked her in the media for years, and now he is dragging the brand name into the mud - causing even members of his Hardcore groups of defenders to say something in opposition... people are threatening to not support the entire brand anymore, which includes their own livelihoods and royalties. She has every right to be livid about this.

Very good point.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2020, 06:22:25 PM »

I highly doubt Brian was even aware of this concert before this was brought up to him.

How is this fishy? It was a private gig and I highly doubt Brian spends his nights and days pouring over The Beach Boys concert schedule. So this isn't some Maltese Falcon mystery why Brian became aware of the concert when he was told about it - normally the way people become aware of information is when they are told about that information.

LOL

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2020, 06:32:29 PM »

David Marks re-posted the LA Times report to his Facebook page, what looks like his first public Facebook post since September. And one of the guys who used to stir the sh*t here felt it necessary to chime in with the same "Brian didn't write that!" B.S. as we're seeing posted above.

Once you see the tactics, you can spot them miles away. So anyway, yeah, there's the issue at hand which is a petition against Mike's "Beach Boys" playing this gig now approaching 66,000 signatures when the original "goal" was 5,000, and there are people instead making the issue about whether Brian typed out the public reply on his own iPhone. Some things never change.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2020, 06:38:35 PM »

David Marks re-posted the LA Times report to his Facebook page, what looks like his first public Facebook post since September. And one of the guys who used to stir the sh*t here felt it necessary to chime in with the same "Brian didn't write that!" B.S. as we're seeing posted above.

Once you see the tactics, you can spot them miles away. So anyway, yeah, there's the issue at hand which is a petition against Mike's "Beach Boys" playing this gig now approaching 66,000 signatures when the original "goal" was 5,000, and there are people instead making the issue about whether Brian typed out the public reply on his own iPhone. Some things never change.

Brian didn't personally write his social media posts any more than Mike personally deleted all of the negative comments by himself either LOL i'll bet in the course of 30 minutes, Mike's Facebook intern deleted more comments than gigs M&B played in the last decade, if it's a numbers game. These guys are too old to deal with that stuff themselves. I'm sure in both cases, Brian gave the thumbs up to the statement, and Mike gave the thumbs up to the deleting.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:41:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2020, 06:41:55 PM »

My intended point was not to stir sh*t but to simply point out that its my opinion that it was probably some one other than Brian who used his social media accounts which would have far more followers than whoever it actually was that type the message.  Also if Brian and Al are so against The Beach Boys doing this show, why don't they donate their portions of the cut to the Sierra club or some other worthy conservation organization.  
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »

My intended point was not to stir sh*t but to simply point out that its my opinion that it was probably some one other than Brian who used his social media accounts which would have far more followers than whoever it actually was that type the message.  Also if Brian and Al are so against The Beach Boys doing this show, why don't they donate their portions of the cut to the Sierra club or some other worthy conservation organization.  

That's an idea I can get behind. I think they should donate.

In any case, they should use any podium they have to complain loudly about this awful mark on the brand name that Mike is intent on inflicting upon it. Literally the only chance of stopping the gig would be to have it go viral and make Mike reconsider. That might not work but that would be the only possible thing that would make it happen.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:45:27 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2020, 06:45:20 PM »

Donating to another organization doesn't undo or mitigate the damage this does to the Beach Boys brand or reputation.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2020, 06:46:41 PM »

Donating to another organization doesn't undo or mitigate the damage this does to the Beach Boys brand or reputation.

True, i agree completely... and also, then some people will say that Brian and Al are just doing that donation to stick it to Mike even more. There's no way they can win in this for people who have a narrative to push. All they can do is try to be on the right side of history here.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:47:17 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »

My intended point was not to stir sh*t but to simply point out that its my opinion that it was probably some one other than Brian who used his social media accounts which would have far more followers than whoever it actually was that type the message.  Also if Brian and Al are so against The Beach Boys doing this show, why don't they donate their portions of the cut to the Sierra club or some other worthy conservation organization. 

And it all is irrelevant when the standard way of issuing an official statement or press release through media channels of old or social media of today is most often to dictate such statements to staff members who actually do the physical posting...once the person issuing the statement says what he or she wants to say in the release. And beyond that, in a corporate environment outside the entertainment industry, the public statement from a CEO or company officer would also go through the legal department of said company for approval. So it's nothing new, and it's kind of silly to assume Brian or anyone else in his position is typing this on an iPhone and hitting "send" anymore than it is absurd to think Mike Love himself was monitoring and deleting comments from Facebook himself in real time over the last two days as CD mentioned.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:51:43 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »

I respect everyone here but I believe that if you eat meat and you are completely ok with the treatment of all the animals in this video below. You can't really call out Mike for being a hypocrite, for a lot us here are as well. That goes for me too, I eat meat and Ignore the pain of all these animals. Please watch and decide for yourself.

WATCH THIS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql8xkSYvwJs

Judge yourself first, don't just focus on the mistakes of others.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2020, 06:57:29 PM »

You're claiming that Brian isn't even in control of his own public statements. You didn't intend to stir sh*t but yet you spout out claims that aren't grounded in any factual evidence? You belittle Brian but yet claim you didn't come here to stir sh*t?

People who actually interact with Brian have actually publicly stated he is in complete control of his life...yet people with an agenda (yikes I used the A word!) have to constantly push his groundless narrative that Brian is a vegetable controlled by Melinda. It's getting old, its been disproven, move on.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »

I respect everyone here but I believe that if you eat meat and you are completely ok with the treatment of all the animals in this video below. You can't really call out Mike for being a hypocrite, for a lot us here are as well. That goes for me too, I eat meat and Ignore the pain of all these animals. Please watch and decide for yourself.

WATCH THIS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql8xkSYvwJs

Judge yourself first, don't just focus on the mistakes of others.

I actually watched one of these videos about a decade ago and it drove me to become a vegetarian for a time. I lost a lot of weight in the process and came to realize just how important meat was to my diet. Btw, there are different places people get meat. Out here in the country there are options to buy directly from farmers, or to hunt your own meat in the mountains.

So please, stop trying to call every meat eater a hypocrite just because there are slaughterhouses that are sociopathic in the way they run the place. Those aren't the only places to get meat, and I'm sure many are not run like that.

I get that you're trying to defend Mike Love at all costs, and I will repost my original comment to you when you made this "hypocrisy" claim:

"Why would I support the end to eating all meat when for some people that is a means of survival? Yet there is absolutely no one in the world right now whose survival depends on the skinning/decapitating of an exotic animal that has been needlessly killed for the sport of it.

If the push to become a more civilized species depended on a complete lack of hypocrisy we would still be climbing trees. Fact is that every person alive is doing something that kills another living thing...even vegetarians. This doesn't mean that we have no right to attempt to stop something that is clearly wrong. Hunting/killing animals to merely survive (as some places in this world just don't have enough farmland to sustain that local population) is going to happen for the time-being. What doesn't need to happen is rich people getting airlifted to exotic parts of the world to needlessly hunt wildlife all so they can mount a taxidermied head to their wall. What doesn't need to happen is Mike Love using The Beach Boys music to promote this sociopathic hobby.

Someone is being paid right now to delete negative comments about this gig from The Beach Boys Facebook page. That alone should enrage any fan regardless of your stance on this issue. It is clear that the need for a quick buck is far more important than longtime fans of The Beach Boys being able to express their valid opinion. Not surprising considering just 15 years ago Mike's lawsuit at Brian and Co. completely lied about Brian in an attempt to gouge his pockets.

Elsewhere someone is defending the convention itself in an attempt to defend Mike. Here we are being called hypocrites. I know some of you have to defend Mike at all costs, but maybe look past that for two seconds and see that this is genuinely a wrong cause for The Beach Boys (of all bands) to support."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »

The issue is trophy hunting, not eating meat.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2020, 07:07:25 PM »

The issue is trophy hunting, not eating meat.

Right. It's kind of like serial killer narcissist sociopaths, like Ted Bundy, who take a trophy item of their victims to have and jerk off to a future date. To remind themselves of the "thrill of the kill" and feel oh so good about themselves. They are so powerful and cool and above all of those beings beneath them. There's very little difference in the mindset.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:08:18 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2020, 07:26:14 PM »

Monday night, Variety obtained a statement from Love, in response to the petition and Wilson’s support of it: “We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, support freedom of thought and expression as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans. Peace & Love, Mike Love.”

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/brian-wilson-beach-boys-boycott-hunting-convention-donald-trump-jr-1203491537/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »

Followed Mike’s advice to have a cool head and a warm heart, which compelled me to follow Brian’s advice to sign the petition.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx