gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:03:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please sign petition for Beach Boys to withdraw from performing on 2/5/20  (Read 73973 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »

Can anyone explain how the licensing thing works with stuff like this?  Playing at a political event is not the same thing as playing at the county fair or the concert hall down the street.  When you play something like this, it says something about your “brand”.  Do Brian, Al and Carl’s estate get any say in decisions to play events like this?  I cannot imagine Al being cool with it.  To say that it will tarnish their reputation is a huge understatement.  And the average person doesn’t know the complexities of who’s in what variation of the band, they’re just going to hear that “the Beach Boys” are playing at this big-game hunting fest and it will tarnish everyone’s reputation.  

Brian did say on twitter that "There is nothing [he and Al] can do to personally stop the show." So...I guess their vote isn't enough to put a stop to a show.
Amazing how "environmentalist" Mike is such a Trump supporter.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2020, 01:09:13 PM »

Can anyone explain how the licensing thing works with stuff like this?  Playing at a political event is not the same thing as playing at the county fair or the concert hall down the street.  When you play something like this, it says something about your “brand”.  Do Brian, Al and Carl’s estate get any say in decisions to play events like this?  I cannot imagine Al being cool with it.  To say that it will tarnish their reputation is a huge understatement.  And the average person doesn’t know the complexities of who’s in what variation of the band, they’re just going to hear that “the Beach Boys” are playing at this big-game hunting fest and it will tarnish everyone’s reputation.  

Brian did say on twitter that "There is nothing [he and Al] can do to personally stop the show." So...I guess their vote isn't enough to put a stop to a show.
Amazing how "environmentalist" Mike is such a Trump supporter.

As far as we can tell, there are few if any criteria (that are actually enforced) concerning Mike using the name with the license. He pays to use the name. He can do anything he wants as far as booking live concerts.

I'm not sure if there are criteria that have gone unenforced, of if there simply are few or none. I'm not sure if I'd be stunned or not surprised at all that nobody at BRI or anybody representing non-Mike parties never wrote *anything* into the license as far as what type of events can be booked.

In a theoretical band name licensing setup, shouldn't the trademark owners guard for extreme cases. What if the licensee starts playing KKK fundraisers?

After the near-miss of the 2017 inauguration debacle, one wishes BRI shareholders would have written *something* in as an addendum to the license to guard from this type of thing happening again. Allow BRI shareholders to browse the bookings, or something. The vast majority of Mike's gigs are regular gigs, or run of the mill (e.g. Toyota, or whatever) corporate gigs, or private gigs for gazillionaires.

This current case is extreme, and I'd actually be quite interested to find out how this booking came about in the first place, and if Mike and company were fully aware of the nature of this organization.

But again, this is easy-peasy. Cancel the gig. This doesn't require Mike to be buddies with Melinda, or require Mike to let Al pick the songs, or require autotune to be attached to his mic. Nobody is canceling his license. He could cancel the gig, and everybody would come out looking better.

It's difficult to predict what will happen. Mike basically said "f-you" to everyone and played Sun City in 1981. But social media didn't exist, and nobody cared about the Beach Boys in 1981 even in the rock press. So it's different now.

This could *SO* be spun into positive PR for everybody.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:13:42 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2020, 01:16:19 PM »

The story has begun to go viral, thanks to Brian's message.

https://www.stereogum.com/2072343/beach-boys-brian-wilson-mike-love-trophy-hunting-convention/news/

https://pitchfork.com/news/brian-wilson-opposes-mike-loves-beach-boys-show-at-trophy-hunting-convention/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2020, 01:20:14 PM »

See about mid-interview. Puzzling.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2020, 01:53:42 PM »

Once again, because it's the brand name, the other bandmembers get associated with this garbage. And it's extra ironic, considering their best-known album has them posing with a bunch of wild animals in a zoo. And accurate or not, that association will continue because it's just too ironic and to iconic to not lump that together.

Yes, but what Beach Boys fans never knew about those animals on the Pet Sounds cover is that Mike and Bruce shot them later that day.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:07:49 PM by Toursiveu » Logged
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2020, 01:56:08 PM »

Anyone remember the SIP album cover with whales, turtles, fish etc?

Some would argue that putting those beautiful creatures on the cover of SIP is worse than actually killing, hunting, slaughtering and eating them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:07:00 PM by Toursiveu » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2020, 01:59:28 PM »

Now over 60K signatures...

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2020, 02:07:06 PM »

Beach Boys fans of widely varying political and personal ideologies are pretty well united on this one. It's pretty stunning.

Except for one person elsewhere online, former poster here, who is essentially arguing that the call for cancellation is politically motivated and, hey, it's not like they're teaching kids to trophy hunt at the event!  LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2020, 02:19:21 PM »

I wonder who it could be since AGD couldn’t even defend it... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »

Beach Boys fans of widely varying political and personal ideologies are pretty well united on this one. It's pretty stunning.

Except for one person elsewhere online, former poster here, who is essentially arguing that the call for cancellation is politically motivated and, hey, it's not like they're teaching kids to trophy hunt at the event!  LOL

Oh yeah. Apparently this person's problem is the "bullying, defamation and the attempt to restrain where entertainers can perform."

So it's now considered bullying for standing up for defenseless animals being shot for prizes. This person also said they hope the organizer of this petition gets sued "into oblivion" - firstly Mike sued his own family member over a dinky freebie CD so yeah I'm sure his ambulance chaser is already neck deep into the litigation process. Second, it's hilarious that the person who most staunchly defends Mike (to the point of trying to justify this silly convention by bringing CHILDREN into the argument) leaps straight to lawsuit talk...no wonder they align with Mike so well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:36:03 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2020, 02:28:55 PM »

Where are these comments?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2020, 02:33:01 PM »

I'll PM you, I'd rather not link the actual place to this board. I'm so glad you're posting again SB!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2020, 02:39:18 PM »

But really, isn't being sued by Mike kind of like a badge of honour? 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2020, 02:42:20 PM »

But really, isn't being sued by Mike kind of like a badge of honour? 

True. Plus in the process you get to figure out what fake witness they'll use to spark the lawsuit (2005 lawsuit, anyone?). So it's a win-win!

Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2020, 02:50:29 PM »

The Lovester is shameless.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2020, 02:58:30 PM »

Shameless may be the nicest thing one can say about this. Is it for the money, or does he support the trophy hunting?

Or both?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2020, 03:01:34 PM »

LA Times now. This train is picking up speed.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-02-03/brian-wilson-beach-boys-donald-trump-jr-hunting

Good work passing on the message Ray.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2020, 03:10:25 PM »

Thanks Don. Appreciate it. I’ve been reading but not posting anything. This was a good reason to start again !
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »

I’m actually not Don, but thanks again.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2020, 03:38:26 PM »

LA Times now. This train is picking up speed.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-02-03/brian-wilson-beach-boys-donald-trump-jr-hunting

Good work passing on the message Ray.

Article says the petition is addressed to BB manager Elliott Lott--is that still the case? Does Jerry Schilling just manage BRI and Lott still manages "the Beach Boys", whatever that means?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »

No, Elliott Lott has retired. Jerry Schilling is the manager.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2020, 04:14:38 PM »

Honestly, I don't see the point in this. If Mike drops out of the show now, he'll be even more of a laughing stock than he is already. If he were to do a televised news conference saying he planned to use the gig for a demonstration against animal cruelty, nobody would believe him, and he'd be even more of a laughing stock than he is already. The Mike Love sh*t Show never ends.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2020, 04:23:26 PM »

Honestly, I don't see the point in this. If Mike drops out of the show now, he'll be even more of a laughing stock than he is already. If he were to do a televised news conference saying he planned to use the gig for a demonstration against animal cruelty, nobody would believe him, and he'd be even more of a laughing stock than he is already. The Mike Love sh*t Show never ends.

According to the LA Times, there has been an official comment from Team Love, which is "no comment". That might say more than simply ignoring the LA Times' question altogether. They responded to say that. Was it a delay tactic? I wonder. I still think there's time for him to pull out. But yes, he'll rightfully look like a putz either way.

Between the damage control meetings that are almost certainly happening behind the scenes, and the directive of the Facebook lackey to delete all comments (even polite ones, apparently?) about this show, Mike's camp most definitely is having a busy day trying to figure out how to handle this, even if it winds up happening anyway.

I know Mike has previously pulled out of at least one gig in the past before, due to public outrage. So it's not like it's never ever happened. But if he has his tongue up the butts of the Trump family for whatever reason(s), maybe their connection to this event and his perhaps wanting to avoid offending those thin-skinned, amoral schmucks might be a reason for the silence from Team Love at the moment. Shrug. It might be more important for him to kiss the asses of the president's family than just about anything else. That would not surprise me.

If they go through with the show, I sure can't wait to hear Mike respond to interviewers who will most certainly ask him about it in the future. Someone, if not him, then someone in his camp, is going to have to give some response at some point. It's either that, or even merely asking about this show is going to be on the list of interviewer "can't ask" types of questions. And yeah, maybe that'll be what he does.

If the FB comment deleter person is working hourly, Mike might have to get ready for paying some overtime fees. People are mightily pissed, even his most ardent defenders. In fact, this might be the single most uniting BBs event - even more so than C50 - in getting more across-the-isle fans on the same page, than any other in decades. Never thought I'd see the day. And for a thing like this. So awful and sad.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:58:40 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2020, 04:28:46 PM »

I mean they already played one of the inauguration parties for Donald Trump, so I don't quite get the surprise here. You can't really go lower than that in my opinion, just hit the bottom again and again.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2020, 04:33:08 PM »

Thing is, this should cut a little deeper for the Mike and Bruce Show than a simple "politics of the moment" consideration... Conservation and environmental concerns have been a part of the "branding" of this band since at least the 70s. It hasn't always jived with other political stances that the Love contingent has taken, and it appears that this dichotomy is finally being put to the test in a very public way. I guess we'll get a better sense of what these guys' real priorities are very soon.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:35:36 PM by Mr. Tiger » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx