gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:11:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who Produced Susie Cincinatti?  (Read 8246 times)
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 08:39:03 AM »

If I remember correctly, didn't John Belushi really like this song?

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2020, 03:20:55 AM »

I remember on the 1999 "Volume 3" greatest hits compilation, this song seemed to have a thicker, punchier mix versus the version found on 15 Big Ones (where it sounded a little flat).  I'm guessing this was the single mix?

I don’t have Volume 3 handy, but I think you’re correct. Every track on Volume 3 used single mixes.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2020, 06:09:25 AM »

If I remember correctly, didn't John Belushi really like this song?

Yes it was one of his favorites.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 08:15:10 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:02:51 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »

As to John Belushi, who doesn't like a song that rocks about a cigarette smoking female cab driver that goes zooming around Cincinatti and gives out free rides?  Nice change from the typical subjects of lyrics.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2020, 01:14:57 AM »

As to John Belushi, who doesn't like a song that rocks about a cigarette smoking female cab driver that goes zooming around Cincinatti and gives out free rides?  Nice change from the typical subjects of lyrics.

"Her looks aren't exactly a plus
but it doesn't matter to us"

I always have to laugh when I hear that part. Really a cool song. And the engine sounds are incredible sounding.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2020, 01:58:03 AM »

This track has always had a rough ride from fans, it seems to me: like it's a completely disposable throwaway (perhaps because Dennis dissed it so vocally in that Tim White interview?). I think it's better than that, and really rocks. I rate it as one of Al's finest tracks meself, and one of the best things the Boys did in the 70s. And yeah, I think the single b-side mix is better, too! Not so keen on the recent remix on MiC with Dennis's questionable interjections myself, but I know others like it.

It's quite musically cool, too - if my cloth ears hear correctly, there's the clichéd step-up key change you often get towards the end of a rock track, but it comes after a descending guitar phrase suggests the track's going somewhere completely different first. That appealed to my sense of the musically unexpected the first time I heard it (a bit like how God Only Knows goes through all those changes in the bridge, and then unexpectedly resolves for the 'God only knows what I'd be without you' line before the final verse)... and it's unusual for a track mostly done by Al, isn't it?

I really love the bass in the coda/fadeout, too... it seems really thunderous. Perhaps that's Stephen Desper's doing on the original B-side mix?
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 02:08:51 AM »

I am waiting for the instruments/only track and the vocals/only track.  Grin

I think Susie with different vocals would be cool. The song has a really good energy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 07:57:35 AM »

I think Susie with different vocals would be cool. The song has a really good energy.

What's wrong with the vocals? I think they're fine as is! BTW, do we have a consensus on who's singing the falsetto in the tag? Al sings it live in the January '77 footage, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's him doing it on the record...
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2020, 09:27:24 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:02:34 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »

What's wrong with the vocals? I think they're fine as is! BTW, do we have a consensus on who's singing the falsetto in the tag? Al sings it live in the January '77 footage, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's him doing it on the record...
Sounds like Al there too to me, or if not that then maybe Al with Bruce, haven't tried to isolate to work out if it's doubled. I don't think it's Brian or Carl.

Yeah, definitely not Carl. I'd buy Al and/or Bruce, and maybe Brian...
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2020, 12:24:46 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:02:25 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx