gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:05:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841523 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4225 on: October 18, 2021, 02:24:15 AM »

Beach Boys - Feel Flows Unboxing & Review | Vinyl Rewind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0lMQffqcuc

You get a very nice look at the vinyl version. The reviewer has some issues with the tracklisting though (he had hoped that you get both albums as they were released originally on vinyl and the bonus tracks on separate discs). Personally I don't care about that but then I'm no vinyl collector.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 02:37:21 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: October 18, 2021, 01:22:49 PM »

Now that's a great unboxing - would love such a thorough review of all 4 releases/editions.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: October 22, 2021, 08:46:26 AM »

Here's a reply from Stanley Shapiro to an article about Dennis in Shindig.   I think most will find it very interesting!

You can find the article here... https://www.shindig-magazine.com/?p=4986

Stanley Shapiro says:

October 20, 2021 at 11:36 am

My name is Stanley Shapiro…
I wrote 100% of the words in the song WOULDN’T IT BE NICE TO LIVE AGAIN. I wrote those words long before Dennis met Barbara Charren and the song had NOTHING to with Barbara whatsoever… As a matter of fact I was with Dennis when we met Barbara for the very first time at the Hamburger Hamlet in the Westwood Village next door to the theater on the corner.
I wrote the song as a part of a six page letter appealing to my girlfriend to come back after she moved out and moved in with an older man who was an associate of Bill Hayward (the co-producer of EASY RIDER).
Dennis and I agreed to write the songs for the movie… but, NOT that particular song. I wrote that song in 1969… not 1971.
These are the facts… my girlfriend came to ‘Hollywood’ from the Midwest to visit her long time friend who was living with Hayward at the time. She moved in with me before production on EASY RIDER began. She was smitten with the movie business and, after we were invited to a dinner party at Hayward’s home in the Hollywood hills, met a picture producer who was 26 years older than she. She was an aspiring actress and he enticed her with the loan of a Mercedes Benz 280 SE convertible and the use of his Bel Air residence. She fell for that and moved in with him. I was heart broken and pleaded with her to come back in a six page letter, in which I penned the poetic song.
I sent the letter to her and a few days later it was returned unopened. I opened the envelope and left the letter on my kitchen table. Dennis read the letter and pleaded with me to let him use it in a song. I turned him down…
(and, for the record, at that point Darryl had nothing to do with it)…
I didn’t like his suggestion that Dennis was a reincarnation of ‘Wagner’ … an anti-Semitic Nazi who was sympathetic to Hitler in WW2.
A couple of weeks later I got a call from another producer who asked me if I heard what happened to my girlfriend..
I was devastated to learn that she had taken her own life after a falling out with the movie maker, and Dennis begged me, once again, to let him put the words to music. This time I acquiest to his persistence and let him record it…
the two of us own that song 50/50 and Daryl Dragon owns none of it.
Mike Love hated the song and the two of us as well. Dennis went to war over the inclusion of the song on the Surf’s Up album and decided to yank it off after a bitter fight over the lack of interest on the Beach Boys part, telling them they weren’t worthy of the song.
On the way out of the studio he turned and told Mike to go back and write something ‘earth shaking’… like a few more stupid ‘car’ songs. It was a bitter disappointment and wound up in the vaults at Capitol Records.
It was rediscovered by Alan Boyd (the Beach Boys archivist and award winning documentarian after Dennis died).
It was subsequently covered by a little known group called CHAOS and wound up being placed on the ballot for a Grammy nomination as the SONG OF THE YEAR.
In the end, the Beach Boys did nothing to use it or promote it, and it stayed hidden in the vaults for an eternity.
Mike Love replaced the song with an inappropriate ‘tune’
called Student Demonstration Time using the music from another song composed by Mike Stoller… WHAT A GENIUS!!!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: October 22, 2021, 12:24:09 PM »

Thanks Stan....love all of the details there, and your setting the record straight. Would love to hear more of your stories about Dennis and your times together. Tx Again.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: October 22, 2021, 01:15:56 PM »

I would just like Mr Shapiro to know that the day I first heard WIBNTLA it replaced Student on the version of Surfs Up I listen to.

Thank You Dennis thank you Mr Shapiro.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: October 22, 2021, 04:01:29 PM »

Great words from Stanley Shapiro

It's really unconscionable that this wonderful song was omitted in favor of SDT.

My mother is a child of the 60s who attended Berkeley and was part of People's Park, she was there and lived it, and I recently played her SDT for the first time, and about halfway through it she thought it was so horrible - lyrically speaking she found it incredibly emotionally tone deaf and insulting  - that she wanted me to turn it off.

I happily obliged.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 04:02:38 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: October 25, 2021, 07:31:08 PM »

Interesting that virtually all the outsiders who came into the group’s orbit to collaborate with one or more of th group have nothing but negative impressions of our boy Mike.  To be fair, Student Demonstration Time wasn’t the only song Mike had going at this time - there was Big Sur, an excellent song that had nothing to do with cars.  And Roger Christian was the better car song writer anyway.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 07:31:50 PM by Bicyclerider » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: October 27, 2021, 01:54:03 AM »

To be fair, in terms of universal public appeal (which isn't everything, I know) the Beach Boys' car songs WERE kind of "earth-shattering". Anyway, it is well known that the relationship between Mike and Dennis was very complex to the say the least.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: October 27, 2021, 01:40:16 PM »

I think Stan's comments, while written with a level of venom that must be taken into account by the reader, reveal the dark underside of the band's "democratic renaissance." It's clear that the stakes had grown higher in the time frame between SUNFLOWER and SURF'S UP, and the jockeying for position became more intense, fueled further by Carl's symbiosis with Jack Rieley. Clearly Jack had something of a "perfect storm" of personalities to contend with regarding the band, and he kind of had to sacrifice Dennis and his burgeoning creativity to keep the strife from spiraling out of control. And he had to find a way to stop the bleeding commercially, which involved invoking the SMiLE myth, pushing ecology, and building up Carl as the steady hand, while somehow maintaining at least an armed truce with Mike and Al (who was in a kind of "non-aligned" mode at that time).

SURF'S UP achieved its goal of getting the band out from under their tainted image, but it probably helped to drive Brian further into his emotional malaise, because by tying "Surf's Up" back to the band, his path as a "stand alone" figure was exponentially problematized. Thus his songwriting got quirkier and it was up to Carl and others to complete the tunes in the studio. The newer recording approaches were not his cup of tea, and there's a lot of documentation about difficulty with his ear in this time frame (some of which may have been used as a smokescreen by Carl, but at least some of it was true).

The problem for the band was that none of the other songwriters--Dennis, Carl, Bruce, Al, Mike--were capable of producing hits. They all came up with good to great material, but none of it registered in the swirling world of late 60s-early 70s rock, and none of it could cut beyond Brian and the SMiLE myth. That shadow was cast over everything. Dennis was their best bet to add a dimension to the band's work that might have gotten past that, but the band kept shelving the tunes that had that potential. But his lifestyle and image were also at odds with the quality of his music, which made it harder for the rest of the band to fully accept him as their best shot to forge at least a parallel commercial identity alongside the combination of the early years and the '66-'67 artistic tsunami.

If Jack had had his act together (I'd say it was about 60%) he'd have found a way to let Dennis open for the band with a portion of his material, after which he would've moved from the piano to the drums as part of the BB show. That way a more organic line could be drawn between what he wrote for the band and what he wrote for himself. When Jack said that the band blew it, he was right. But he blew it, too--he did not serve everyone's interests as optimally as he should have. (Not that 95+% of anyone else trying to manage this aggregation would've done any better, of course...)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: October 27, 2021, 02:43:46 PM »

I think Jack did about all he could in the shiitshow that is “Beach Boys politics”.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4235 on: October 27, 2021, 07:27:59 PM »

Well said, Don - I think you present the situation in a very insightful way, if "insight" is the right word to describe thoughts on the situation from those of us who weren't actually present. Again, well said.

A couple of thoughts - (1) yes, none of the guys except Brian really had the goods to musically deliver "commercial" songs at that point (Mike previously had the knack for delivering commercial lyrics for Brian's tunes, but the subjects he'd had commercial success with previously were mostly passé at this point - "Good Vibrations" being a probable exception)...but would Brian have even been able to deliver music that was commercially relevant in the early '70s, assuming he even wanted to? "Sail On Sailor" would come close a couple of years later, but even that wasn't a huge hit, just kind of a medium hit, and not even the first time around, really...and, (2) I think Carl's belated emergence as a songwriter at this point cannot be understated...remember, Carl wasn't really writing songs before '71, not even on Sunflower, just helping the others finish theirs in one or two cases...suddenly, he's putting music to Jack's words (or the other way around), and contributing two majorly significant tracks. Maybe Jack's thought was, "Well, Dennis had the spotlight on the previous album, with four of his songs....let's give Carl a chance in the spotlight now."  Yes, it's a shame that a Dennis song or two wasn't also included, though. Truthfully, each side of Surf's Up is about four minutes shorter than the second side of Sunflower, so it's not as though there wasn't room for two of his songs on there...
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: October 27, 2021, 11:36:10 PM »

Unless we're talking about a certain 7 minute plus song.  Shocked (no tongue in cheek emoji I can see, so I've chosen a random one)

I don't really buy into the length being an issue, it came down to other issues.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4237 on: October 28, 2021, 05:26:07 AM »

Unless we're talking about a certain 7 minute plus song.  Shocked (no tongue in cheek emoji I can see, so I've chosen a random one)

I don't really buy into the length being an issue, it came down to other issues.

Yeah...WIBNTLA would have to have been edited somewhat (likely to trim the ending ala MIC) in order to add it to the album and not drop something else. But I agree with you that it came down to other issues. It's also been said that the dispute resulted from Dennis' insistence that the LP close with WIBTLA, following TID, and that placing it anywhere else in the running order would lessen the effect. Once Jack and Carl determined that SU would be the closer, Dennis pulled his song(s) from the project altogether. 
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: October 29, 2021, 01:09:54 PM »

Yeah...WIBNTLA would have to have been edited somewhat (likely to trim the ending ala MIC) in order to add it to the album and not drop something else. But I agree with you that it came down to other issues. It's also been said that the dispute resulted from Dennis' insistence that the LP close with WIBTLA, following TID, and that placing it anywhere else in the running order would lessen the effect. Once Jack and Carl determined that SU would be the closer, Dennis pulled his song(s) from the project altogether. 

It would've been fine trimmed down imo, the outro is it's weakest part
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: October 30, 2021, 01:46:31 AM »

The problem for the band was that none of the other songwriters--Dennis, Carl, Bruce, Al, Mike--were capable of producing hits. They all came up with good to great material, but none of it registered in the swirling world of late 60s-early 70s rock, and none of it could cut beyond Brian and the SMiLE myth. That shadow was cast over everything.

Well, wouldn't it be fair to say that until then, at least CARL and AL were capable of producing a minor hit each (not as songwriters, sure) but as PRODUCERS: i CAN HEAR MUSIC  and COTTON FIELDS (re-produced single version)?

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4240 on: October 30, 2021, 07:57:24 AM »

The problem for the band was that none of the other songwriters--Dennis, Carl, Bruce, Al, Mike--were capable of producing hits. They all came up with good to great material, but none of it registered in the swirling world of late 60s-early 70s rock, and none of it could cut beyond Brian and the SMiLE myth. That shadow was cast over everything.

Well, wouldn't it be fair to say that until then, at least CARL and AL were capable of producing a minor hit each (not as songwriters, sure) but as PRODUCERS: i CAN HEAR MUSIC  and COTTON FIELDS (re-produced single version)?

Yes, but working solely with covers as material...not a great way to boost your cred in the early '70s "hip" culture, especially coming from a band that once produced self-penned hits. If you had strong, contemporary "hit" material of your own, maybe you could get away with a cover now and then.
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: October 30, 2021, 01:13:26 PM »

My 5CD set (Made In The EU) arrived yesterday. I would like to ask if anyone else has experienced a similar thing...

I should point out that I like the ‘archive’–type releases and historically have bought all of the boxed sets. HOWEVER it seems that I virtually always have  somekind of a problem with them. Not with the music itself, but the quality of manufacture!

Good Vibrations Box : Faulty disc (“In My Room“ demo) had to send it back... Cry

Pet Sounds Sessions : No problems... Smiley

US Singles Box : Not played it – still unopened and shrink wrapped! Cheesy

Smile Sessions Box : Faulty disc (“Surf’s Up“) had to send it back... Cry

Made In California Box : I too had that issue where the actual time of the tracks on one of the discs didn’t correspond to the tracking/playing of the actual disc, meaning one song cut off 2 or 3 seconds early and these 2 or 3 seconds appeared at the start of the next track. Remember?! Had to ask for a replacement disc... (I received a US disc incidently as a replacement, even though I had bought the EU version.)  Angry

So when I ordered Feel Flows I just knew something would be wrong with it even before I opened the package...! And sure enough...

Has anyone else had this problem with an EU Feel Flows : When I open the ‘book‘ the essay and the track listing is UPSIDE DOWN  Shocked Yes, my first page is an upside down #48!  Shocked The picture of the band on stage. But upside down! All the other pages continue all the way through to page #1 – ALL UPSIDE DOWN!! The CDs are then the right way up...

You know, for some people these sets cost a lot of money. This is such a basic mistake that it just shouldn’t happen. Does quality control not exist at the manufactures?

What do I do? Send it back??? Angry
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: November 01, 2021, 12:21:50 PM »

Jack and Carl decided Surf's Up needed to be on the album and to be the closer, and wanted to give the impression that Brian was more involved with the album than he was.  It appears this was felt to be what was needed to enhance the commerciality of the project.  I don't think Jack had a problem with Dennis' songs (he wrote the lyrics to 4th of July) and from everything he's said since he would much rather have jettisoned Al's songs or Mike's SDT than Dennis' songs, if he had a choice.  Dennis wanted more of a say and Carl and Jack had their own ideas of the track order.  Really it was kind of petty for Dennis to pull his songs, but there was definitely a power struggle between Carl and Dennis, and Carl won.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: November 01, 2021, 05:46:37 PM »

US Singles Box : Not played it – still unopened and shrink wrapped!

Not really sure how this qualifies as a "defect", at least not a defect in the product.

Has anyone else had this problem with an EU Feel Flows : When I open the ‘book‘ the essay and the track listing is UPSIDE DOWN  Shocked Yes, my first page is an upside down #48!  Shocked The picture of the band on stage. But upside down! All the other pages continue all the way through to page #1 – ALL UPSIDE DOWN!! The CDs are then the right way up...

In my set the entire booklet was upside down, every page and the covers, then I just stood on my head while I read it - it's all good now, except for the headaches I get.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 05:49:31 PM by thetojo » Logged
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: November 02, 2021, 08:16:50 AM »

Dennis wanted more of a say and Carl and Jack had their own ideas of the track order.  Really it was kind of petty for Dennis to pull his songs, but there was definitely a power struggle between Carl and Dennis, and Carl won.

Imagine the coming years if Dennis had won the battle. It would've been glorious!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: November 03, 2021, 05:33:04 PM »

Just wondering about the various releases.

I know the 5CD set is the most comprehensive with the 48 page booklet.

What do the other releases come with?

The 4LP set looks like it comes with a 36 page booklet and a 'poster' - is there a difference in the written content of the booklet, or just less pictures?

The 2 CD is a short booklet with no essay - about 12 pages, is that right?

Is there any substantive booklet with the 2 LP set? If so, how many pages? What is omitted?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:59:51 PM by thetojo » Logged
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: November 03, 2021, 11:37:01 PM »

The 4LP set looks like it comes with a 36 page booklet and a 'poster' - is there a difference in the written content of the booklet, or just less pictures?

Is there any substantive booklet with the 2 LP set? If so, how many pages? What is omitted?

I've got both the 5 & 2 CD Sets , so sadly can't comment on the vinyl release(s)

The 2 CD Set comes with a 20 Page Booklet with the Howie notes on the inside of the gatefold
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: November 04, 2021, 04:56:29 PM »

I've got both the 5 & 2 CD Sets , so sadly can't comment on the vinyl release(s)

The 2 CD Set comes with a 20 Page Booklet with the Howie notes on the inside of the gatefold

Thanks.

Any more on the vinyl sets? Didn't anyone buy them?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4248 on: November 07, 2021, 05:57:20 PM »

So last night at the Dolenz / Nesmith show in Milwaukee, I saw a guy wearing a tie-dye Feel Flows t-shirt! Dude -- if you're reading this, my wife wants to know where you got the shirt!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: November 12, 2021, 12:04:27 PM »

Regarding the booklets... I bought the 5CD and the 4LP.  I have not checked them closely, but the written material from all reports is the same in both. 

I will report there is a nice difference in the LP booklet vs. 5CD -- the pictures of the handwritten lyrics for Surf's Up are much larger in the 4LP booklet!  So there are differences in layouts, and therefore in picture sizes.  It probably works both ways, some pictures are larger in one than the other.

Love and merci,
Dan Lega
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx