gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:17:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841582 times)
louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #4125 on: September 05, 2021, 07:05:53 PM »

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:44:44 AM by louielouie » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: September 05, 2021, 07:06:22 PM »

Dutch Treat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4127 on: September 05, 2021, 10:27:04 PM »

Dear Brother

I thought that one was saved for the SIP sessions set  Grin

No. That one will be called Oh Brother.

Oh Dear God

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: September 06, 2021, 02:17:49 AM »

Personally, I would love them to go with more of the lyrical nod to the project naming (a la Sunshine Tomorrow), though I suppose I can understand why they wouldn't.

Ooh they could call the next one “Beyond Tomorrow”.

How about a nod to "Annie" with "Sunshine's Gonna Come Out Tomorrow"? Or not....

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: September 06, 2021, 02:21:53 AM »

"Steamboat: The music of the Beach Boys, 1972-74"

I'm liking it! Uh, I guess....high obscurity factor, at least. Of course, some fans might think they're shelling out big bucks for a classic Jerome Kern musical adaptation, or a Mark Twain-penned musical saga set on the Mighty Mississipp.

Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: September 06, 2021, 02:23:22 AM »

Dear Brother

I thought that one was saved for the SIP sessions set  Grin

No. That one will be called Oh Brother.

IMO it should be "Brother, why hast thou forsaken me"?

Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: September 06, 2021, 02:27:46 AM »

If they attempt a Summer in Paradise box set, all three of Mark, Alan and Howie may need a therapist…

They'll all emerge from their mixing/editing rooms with shell shock, battle fatigue, a glazed look and the dreaded thousand-yard stare a la Syd Barrett.

Cancel, cancel....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 02:28:17 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: September 06, 2021, 02:31:08 AM »

California Saga would also be a good simple but appropriate title.

Yes, that would be a good name for it. It follows "Feel Flows" a bit more tongue-trippingly than "SOS" upon 1st consideration.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 02:31:58 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4133 on: September 06, 2021, 08:59:39 AM »

“Sail On, Sailor” UNINSPIRED??? Yikes! 

To be fair to the OP, it's not ever said that the song "Sail On Sailor" is uninspiring, merely that the use of that title for a box set is uninspired. I read that as unimaginative, and I think it's a fair call. I'd prefer "Funky Pretty" or "Spark In The Dark" or even something that comes from the fairy tale 'lyrics'.

Not trying to drag this back into a debate or anything, but the original post in question said:

"Is the next set really going to be titled "Sail On Sailor"? Kind of uninspired, much like the song itself."

I don't know how that can be read any other way than saying the title is uninspired, and also that the "song itself" is inspired. To each their own of course, but somebody does appear to feel the *song* is uninspired.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: September 06, 2021, 09:20:20 AM »

Or it could be a clumsily expressed reference to the line "uninspired, drenched and tired".
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: September 06, 2021, 09:27:24 AM »

So Giggens was talking about Al rerecording the bass for seasons in the sun and that could've been a possible factor for the set to be pushed back. Do you guys think that could be the case? I mean, it really doesn't matter anymore but, hey, I'm curious  Roll Eyes
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4136 on: September 06, 2021, 11:24:28 AM »

I recieved the LP boxset today. I also have the CD version of the boxset coming via post as well. "My Solution" sounds great on vinyl!  Afro

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:29:19 AM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: September 06, 2021, 01:24:21 PM »

“Sail On, Sailor” UNINSPIRED??? Yikes! 

To be fair to the OP, it's not ever said that the song "Sail On Sailor" is uninspiring, merely that the use of that title for a box set is uninspired. I read that as unimaginative, and I think it's a fair call. I'd prefer "Funky Pretty" or "Spark In The Dark" or even something that comes from the fairy tale 'lyrics'.

Not trying to drag this back into a debate or anything, but the original post in question said:

"Is the next set really going to be titled "Sail On Sailor"? Kind of uninspired, much like the song itself."

I don't know how that can be read any other way than saying the title is uninspired, and also that the "song itself" is inspired. To each their own of course, but somebody does appear to feel the *song* is uninspired.

You got me - I should read a bit more carefully.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4138 on: September 07, 2021, 06:25:33 AM »

So Giggens was talking about Al rerecording the bass for seasons in the sun and that could've been a possible factor for the set to be pushed back. Do you guys think that could be the case? I mean, it really doesn't matter anymore but, hey, I'm curious  Roll Eyes

Nothing like that was behind the hang-up/delay discussed last year.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: September 07, 2021, 10:23:00 AM »

Feel Flows to debut at 9 on the billboard chart

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: September 07, 2021, 10:38:55 AM »

The Beach Boys’ archival set Feel Flows: The Sunflower & Surf’s Up Sessions – 1969-1971 debuts at No. 9 on Top Album Sales with 10,000 sold. It’s just the second top 10 for the band since the Top Album Sales chart launched in 1991. The group previously hit the region with the 2012 studio album That’s Why God Made the Radio, which debuted and peaked at No. 3 (June 23, 2012-dated chart).

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: September 07, 2021, 10:44:35 AM »

The Beach Boys’ archival set Feel Flows: The Sunflower & Surf’s Up Sessions – 1969-1971 debuts at No. 9 on Top Album Sales with 10,000 sold. It’s just the second top 10 for the band since the Top Album Sales chart launched in 1991. The group previously hit the region with the 2012 studio album That’s Why God Made the Radio, which debuted and peaked at No. 3 (June 23, 2012-dated chart).

Nice! And hey, it would've been 10,001 if my order wasn't cancelled!  Smiley

William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: September 07, 2021, 10:57:49 AM »

This isn't the actual Billboard Top 200 albums chart, but something based (I assume) on sales rather than airplay and streams -- no doubt making it more favourable to a release like FF. Still cool though.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4143 on: September 07, 2021, 11:28:08 AM »

That's very cool news!

I gotta ask this about "Marcella": Is this the master take? To me it sounds different to the master but maybe there was more work done for that. The "ooohhhh" in the beginning made me wonder at first if this is the vocal track for the "In Concert" version, but I guess it isn't.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4144 on: September 07, 2021, 11:44:50 AM »

What's weird is that the article notes it's the second time the band has hit the Top 10 since the advent of the "Top Album Sales" chart in 1991, yet it cites the #3 debut for "That's Why God Made the Radio", which I believe was actually in the full-blown main "Billboard 200" album chart.

The way these charts are tabulated, and which albums can go where, has changed so many times over the years. Add to that the fact that streaming vs. sales as measures for success has changed drastically even since TWGMTR in 2012. Which is probably why Billboard mentioned the TWGMTR comparison, because neither the "Top Sales" chart nor the current "Top 200" charts particularly resemble what the "Top 200" chart constituted back even ten years ago, let alone more.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: September 07, 2021, 11:45:11 AM »

This isn't the actual Billboard Top 200 albums chart, but something based (I assume) on sales rather than airplay and streams -- no doubt making it more favourable to a release like FF. Still cool though.

It's billboards own "top album sales" chart. Really the only billboard chart that matters

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4146 on: September 07, 2021, 11:50:34 AM »

It's billboards own "top album sales" chart. Really the only billboard chart that matters

I think selling 10,000 copies in one week of a set that goes for up to $125 is great; this are good numbers for a multi-disc archival BB set.

In terms of the industry, the "main" album chart is this one:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

This is the main "Top 200" chart, which counts actual unit sales as well as uses a formula to equate streams to sales. I think it's 1,250 streams from a paid subscription service that equal 1 sold unit, and 3,750 streams from ad-supported services equal 1 sold unit.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 11:51:30 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: September 07, 2021, 12:01:50 PM »

Yeah, that's correct.

The album chart would be more up The Beach Boys alley. Most with any interest in listening to 'feel flows' would be inclined to buy it and not stream it.

Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: September 08, 2021, 07:11:28 AM »

I think selling 10,000 copies in one week of a set that goes for up to $125 is great; this are good numbers for a multi-disc archival BB set.

In terms of the industry, the "main" album chart is this one:

This is the main "Top 200" chart, which counts actual unit sales as well as uses a formula to equate streams to sales. I think it's 1,250 streams from a paid subscription service that equal 1 sold unit, and 3,750 streams from ad-supported services equal 1 sold unit.

I'm pretty sure they count each disc in a boxset towards the total sold count which is why some companies like including a bonus disc to boost sales figures.   If I'm correct, the total number of boxset sales would be approx. 2,000 which seems more realistic.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: September 08, 2021, 07:33:44 AM »

A mere #83 on the Billboard Top 200. Still, 68 places higher than Sunflower ...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx