gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:08:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160 161 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841493 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: August 26, 2021, 03:41:23 PM »

Oh Good Lord.
I've. Got. A. Friend.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: August 26, 2021, 03:47:27 PM »

Marcella acapella YOWZA!
This Whole World extended YOWZA!!
The whole set YOWZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOWZA!?

Don't you mean HUBBA HUBBA!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: August 26, 2021, 03:49:36 PM »

Oh Holy Moly, just when you think you know everything Beach Boys this set comes out and blows you out of the bath with the bathwater. Everything about this set is bold, clear and amazing. Look what they did with e.g Soulful Old Man Sunshine! I mean, there's an additional 2 great albums of outakes in addition to Sunflower and Surf's Up. It's literally mind-boggling how creative and productive this group was in 1969/1971! It's crazy that a man of the musical talent Dennis had was never fully allowed or able to share it with the world until POB, by which time it was already getting too late for him.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 03:50:55 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: August 26, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »

JUST GO STRAIGHT TO DISC 5!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: August 26, 2021, 03:51:41 PM »

JUST GO STRAIGHT TO DISC 5!

Underrated comment right here! Biggest treat Beach Boys fandom will probably ever hear  Grin Grin Grin
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: August 26, 2021, 05:19:54 PM »

OK, OK, OK, there are extra series of vocals on My Solution. Oh my Lord.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: August 26, 2021, 05:20:38 PM »

Wowee. Perks of living in Oceania

Highlights for me so far:

- All I Wanna Do acapella
- All the Dennis stuff. I'm Going Your Way, Barbara, & It's a New Day new mixes sound great. Behold the Night, Hawaiian Dream - stunning!! Baby Baby was slightly disappointing though.
- Won't You Tell Me demo with organ with Brian vocal is actually beautiful - that arrangement works great on its own (in a minimalist way like Be Still), and the original lyrics are better.
- Til I Die alt lyrics - obviously not superior, but interesting to hear.

Wonder if the 2019 mix of Going Your Way with the double tracked lead vocal will be available again? Surprised it's not on the set - maybe it'll be on a 'leftovers' type digital release like Sunshine Tomorrow 2.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: August 26, 2021, 07:02:55 PM »

Sonically this thing sounds far better than my already high expectations. That bass in My Solution! Wow. I’m floored.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: August 26, 2021, 07:34:35 PM »

I really love Before

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: August 26, 2021, 07:36:08 PM »

I really love lots of it
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 08:16:08 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3885 on: August 26, 2021, 08:07:46 PM »

Looking like all the tracks are just straight available for listen now on the Beach Boys official Youtube. Not listed, but searchable. Tempting not to just dive right in, but I will wait.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: August 26, 2021, 08:18:13 PM »

Straight to disc 5. Wow wow wow.

The Surf's Up 1st movement 1971 remake is really odd.
The Soulful Old Man Sunshine 2019 mix sounds *very* different. Was Don Ralke part of the writer credits on the original Endless Harmony release?

A small detail: "Sobra las olas" should actually read "Sobre las olas"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: August 26, 2021, 08:18:37 PM »

Just spent a few hours with headphones on going over just about all of it.

It's nearly too much brilliance

Blown away. Greatest band ever

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: August 26, 2021, 08:21:44 PM »

"It's a new day"  Shocked

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RealBriefcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: August 26, 2021, 09:29:43 PM »

Is it just me or does Soulful Old Man Sunshine have a totally different vocal take? He doesn't say "shunshine" on this one, which seems to against that being the reason why Carl didn't want it out.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: August 26, 2021, 10:09:11 PM »

Hopefully the beginning of a media blitz.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/27/it-was-the-happiest-time-the-beach-boys-on-their-strange-second-coming

With band interviews phoned in.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: August 26, 2021, 10:56:15 PM »

I think my favourite thing here is Old Movie. It was always obvious that setting an orchestra loose on Make It Good was a mistake, but I now feel it was no less so on Cuddle Up.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3892 on: August 26, 2021, 11:39:36 PM »

I think It’s Natural is one of my favorites here. Should have been finished. I love the vibe and instrumental here.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: August 26, 2021, 11:46:59 PM »

One of my favorite bits so far is the backing track of "When Girls Get Together"; it's just pure Brian. The instrumental/bg vocals version of "A Day in the Life of a Tree" is stunning too and "Marcella - a capella" is another highlight.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: August 26, 2021, 11:56:57 PM »

Great to read the first series of personal impressions now - and the tempo they're coming in is just so entertaining; it's not often that just hitting the 'refresh page' button makes sense, but now it does seriously so.

I will go purchase the physical 5CD-set later in the day (it's 9 AM here in Holland); and all your posts really whet the appetite, so to speak.

So: keep 'em coming, people!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: August 27, 2021, 12:04:56 AM »

Oh Holy Moly, just when you think you know everything Beach Boys this set comes out and blows you out of the bath with the bathwater. Everything about this set is bold, clear and amazing. Look what they did with e.g Soulful Old Man Sunshine! I mean, there's an additional 2 great albums of outakes in addition to Sunflower and Surf's Up. It's literally mind-boggling how creative and productive this group was in 1969/1971! It's crazy that a man of the musical talent Dennis had was never fully allowed or able to share it with the world until POB, by which time it was already getting too late for him.

Yes, IMO the Dennis material is the clear standout on this set, even amidst so much other wonderful music and mixes. "Ecology", with "All of My Love", the stunning "run, run, river run" section combined with what were previously known on various circulating tapes and boots as "Piano Duets" and the high-pitched "Quad instrumental" is just staggeringly beautiful when it finally puts it all together, as is the "Quadrex session" piece, also sometimes called "Carry Me to the Sea" which was often lumped in with the other fragments, but has now been fleshed out and given its rightful title "Before". "I've Got a Friend" is fragile and lovely, making one fervently wish that Dennis had made it a priority to lay down a vocal. Maybe someone will be brought it to give it a Taylor Hawkins "Holy Man" treatment someday. "Behold the Night" is an absolute gem, at least the first part, "Hawaiian Dream" is music to supremely relax by, but somehow "Old Movie" really brought tears to my eyes, thinking of his beautiful spirit and unfulfilled potential. It's important to try to see that particular glass as half full as much as possible, but he had so much to offer the world and for various reasons his talent didn't see its full fruition. This release really adds a lot to his legacy, as well as being chock-full of amazing remixes and other jewels. Many thanks to Alan, Mark, Howie, Stephen et al for their superb work, and fighting for its release. Just saw in an interview with Boyd and Linett that work on Carl & the Passions, Holland and live early '70s Carnegie Hall sets is already underway!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 05:04:32 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: August 27, 2021, 01:11:47 AM »

Many thanks to Alan, Mark, Howie, Stephen et al for their superb work and fighting for its release.
[/quote]

Amen to that!

I haven't been as thrilled about a retrospective Beach Boys release since those wonderful days of SOT boots - that moment of receiving a physical package shipped from Singapore, opening it and rushing to the CD player. This set really does pick up from where SOT boots left off ... 20 plus years and worth the wait to get it right. So excited about the next two years - So Tough, Holland and In Concert. Thrill me. Chill me. Complete me.

Thank gents!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: August 27, 2021, 01:14:35 AM »

God bless Howie, Mark, Alan, Stephen, and everybody else involved. Gods among men. I'm almost in tears over some of this...

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: August 27, 2021, 01:28:33 AM »

God bless Howie, Mark, Alan, Stephen, and everybody else involved. Gods among men. I'm almost in tears over some of this...

I've been having "what the f#*k" moments all day ... but that might be the wine ... or that might be the wine ... or that might be the wine ... any way its dark here and I can drink all the wine I want.

PS Mr Desper all the way back then you took it to another level ... thank you.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: August 27, 2021, 01:37:51 AM »

I have a feeling that the live version of Back Home is an edit of more than one performance. I don't know of any time where Brian and Al did a duet like that.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 153 154 155 [156] 157 158 159 160 161 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx