gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:23:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841778 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: August 11, 2021, 07:16:10 AM »

Same here. Cancelled.

Is this Amazon's way of hiking up the price in a week of so and me not getting my 'Price Guarantee'?

Fantastic.

Yes, I had a great price guarantee, and I won't be re ordering any time soon through Amazon

As I have no record shop anywhere near me, I suppose I'll just be streaming this set. A real shame for those who worked hard on this. Sales are going to be hit.

There own fault
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 08:09:01 AM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3726 on: August 11, 2021, 07:46:38 AM »

So apparently no one wants to talk about the other track that just got released. I have a few questions though about Surf's Up - A Cappella.

Was the entire vocal track for the first movement recorded in 1971? Who, if anyone, sings on it apart from Carl? And where exactly did "bygone, bygone" come from? Does it appear on anything that was recorded in 1966/67? Could it possibly have been an idea someone came up with in 1971, and if so who?

Possibly fewer are talking about it because the recording data on the song has been known for a long time. Plus, a vocals-only track on this song did leak like 15+ years ago.

Not saying it's not worth talking about; it's one of the most amazing songs of their career, and this is one of the most impressive vocals one could possibly isolate.

COMMENT:  All these questions about the recording of Surf's Up are answered in my book Recording The Beach Boys.  Also an A Cappella of Surf's Up vocals in in the book/study-video that I made about 50 years ago, but put in the book about 15 years ago.
Bygone, Bygone is a multi-word overdub of 1971 (mind-twister) and is on the original lyric sheet.
~swd

Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: August 11, 2021, 07:58:42 AM »

Same here. Cancelled.

Is this Amazon's way of hiking up the price in a week of so and me not getting my 'Price Guarantee'?

Fantastic.

Yes, I had a great price guarantee, and I won't be re ordering any time soon through Amazon

As I have no record shop anywhere near me, I suppose I'll just be streaming this set. A real shame for those who worked hard on this. Sales are going to be hit.

For what it's worth, Greg, I just argued with Amazon customer service for over an hour and they (very) reluctantly agreed to honour my price guarantee if and when it comes back in stock. I did have to speak to a manager though.

Thanks, I'll give that a try and mention it's been honoured for other people.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3728 on: August 11, 2021, 11:29:21 AM »

Removed ~swd

« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:33:02 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3729 on: August 11, 2021, 12:04:57 PM »

Pretty wild how they even accomplished making this ending. They must've had to go into the multi's and re-record a lot of the instruments to follow the new chords.

Sorry if it's been spoken about already, but Mr. Desper, if you're reading this, do you remember recording this bit? It seems like a lot of effort went into matching the original sounds.

The track at the end is not a re-recording, it's just what was on the tape after the master cuts off to go a capella.  There's a big drum fill without any other instruments (thus the opportunity for Bruce to reharmonize here) and then I think they actually play another verse, but I might be misremembering that part.

Yes and no. The track as recorded went into a drum fill and continued through another cycle and a half of the whole progression before falling apart, but that's not what was used here. They copied the tape, kept the drums and lead guitar, wiped other instruments, and added new bass and glockenspiel onto that second bridge/chorus section out.

The alternate lead vocal tracks were on the original tape, copied with the rest. I guess Mark used them in this mix to make it more of a full 'alternate' package.

There's apparently no Brian here - seems to just be Bruce (times three), Carl (times two) and Mike stacked on six parts (unless one of those is actually Al). Bruce has his arranging fingerprints all over this.

COMMENT:  I noticed your question to me.   I must say I don't know what release you are discussing, but you should know that if you have access to the multi-track you can pretty much make the song do anything. It's like editing of a movie; a love scene can be edited as romance or rape. In my book, I lead with the a cappella of Surf's Up followed in beat by the original song, but you could lead with a guitar lick or drum roll or any tracks or sub-mix of tracks within the multi-track. . . you can change the structure or architecture or personality or impression or etc. if you have access to the multi-track. ~swd 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: August 11, 2021, 12:31:33 PM »

I've kinda lost interest in this set now. I suppose the plan was to build up anticipation, as they slowly release tracks for streaming, but in my case it's gone from a "must buy" to "if i happen to be in a cd store in the next few months and see it, i might buy it".
Other parts of life are more important right now.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: August 11, 2021, 01:12:20 PM »

I've kinda lost interest in this set now. I suppose the plan was to build up anticipation, as they slowly release tracks for streaming, but in my case it's gone from a "must buy" to "if i happen to be in a cd store in the next few months and see it, i might buy it".

It has been a marathon, for sure, but there are quite a few bits that might grab your attention again when it hits the shelves. I'm talking about things that aren't just an alternate mix or whatever, but songs you haven't heard at all before. I'm not saying you need to be a religious zealot over this set, but my feeling is that it delivers a little more than the usual copyright extension releases we've had in years gone by. For starters, it offers a substantial book.

Hang in there! police
BBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: August 11, 2021, 03:55:54 PM »

With Amazon UK cancelling orders willy-nilly, does anyone know of a safe bet to buy the 5 CD box set from over here? Thanks
BBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: August 11, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »

Don’t post forever and then double post!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 04:00:15 PM by BBB » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: August 11, 2021, 04:40:32 PM »

With Amazon UK cancelling orders willy-nilly, does anyone know of a safe bet to buy the 5 CD box set from over here? Thanks
I'll most likely get mine on ebay.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
BBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: August 11, 2021, 05:04:26 PM »

Cheers.
£120 cheapest at the moment but assume more will become available closer to release. Whenever that may be!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: August 11, 2021, 10:38:05 PM »

Cheers.
£120 cheapest at the moment but assume more will become available closer to release. Whenever that may be!

My Amazon Pre-Order for the 5 CD Set was £ 74 , before they cancelled it  Evil
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: August 11, 2021, 11:38:00 PM »

Other parts of life are always more important, but nothing could diminish my appetite for this particular set, barring nuclear war & the ensuing winter of discontent. This will not avail U.K. fans I suppose, but Import CDs is offering it for 88 bucks + $4.00 shipping. Sorry to hear about the orders being cancelled, I hope at least amazon.fr comes through.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
chrism1971
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: August 12, 2021, 01:21:14 AM »

HMV?
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: August 12, 2021, 06:09:08 AM »

HMV?

Sold out now, online at least.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: August 12, 2021, 09:34:07 AM »

'Til I Die - A Cappella is on Spotify either now or later today, depending on your time zone.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: August 12, 2021, 09:36:02 AM »

I think I'll just keep it on repeat all day.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: August 12, 2021, 10:31:29 AM »

I’m impressed - you must have an interesting life.  For someone like me who has no life nothing is more important and more eagerly anticipated than the release of this box set!,
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: August 12, 2021, 12:46:43 PM »

Well a rather nice Feel Flows Box Set T-Shirt being fashioned by Christian Love in this vid BUT I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE SET PLEASE ( Unlikely at this Junction for us UK Fans )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ankxfDTSWS4
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: August 12, 2021, 02:15:44 PM »

As an avowed never-use-Amazon-er, I've always found SpeedyHen to be super-reliable, and almost as cheap. Looks as if they pay their tax bill too! They have the set available for pre-order at under £85 right now, with free UK shipping. Though I'm making no promises.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: August 12, 2021, 03:49:10 PM »

That teaser of 'behold the night" is just beautiful

BBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: August 12, 2021, 04:07:52 PM »

As an avowed never-use-Amazon-er, I've always found SpeedyHen to be super-reliable, and almost as cheap. Looks as if they pay their tax bill too! They have the set available for pre-order at under £85 right now, with free UK shipping. Though I'm making no promises.

SpeedyHen it is. Never even heard of them before....and still ordered from them! Pure desperation.
Thanks for all the replies concerning the problems with UK orders.
Here’s hoping availability isn’t an issue once released.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: August 12, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »

Where is this teaser that you speak of?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: August 12, 2021, 09:15:01 PM »

Where is this teaser that you speak of?

David Beards latest "good vibrations" podcast

Around 40 or 42 minutes in

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: August 12, 2021, 10:06:04 PM »

I’m impressed - you must have an interesting life.  For someone like me who has no life nothing is more important and more eagerly anticipated than the release of this box set!,
Well, my dad died earlier this year; that's kind of changed a lot of my focus.
Also, as a working musician, scrambling to get gigs now that things are opening up again. And they might shut down just as fast again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx