gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:29:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841734 times)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: July 20, 2021, 08:19:54 PM »

Looks like the alternate lyric version of Till I Die has leaked on youtube.

I'd love to verify this, but I can't find it.

Found it. Interesting. aside from the lyric change, it's also very dry. Nice to hear that Rhythm King (Go Go setting) soloed.

It must be the mix that was on the Reprise Bonus tracks CDs that showed up at a California music store a number of years back.  That’s the mix I would have preferred being on Feel Flows - the extended mix with alternate lyrics is a Frankenstein creation that didn’t exist in 69-71.

Interestingly, it's not the mix that will be on the box (which clocks in at around 5 minutes).
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: July 22, 2021, 02:39:58 AM »

New article on FF, with comments from Alan Boyd and Mark Linett:

'FEEL FLOWS' -- THE BEACH BOYS RE-IMAGINED THIS SUMMER
http://www.sunnysouthnews.com/blog/2021/07/20/feel-flows-the-beach-boys-re-imagined-this-summer/

Oh yeah.....👍

According to the producers, they hope the upcoming set does well, so they can continue creating boxes like “Feel Flows.”

“There’s still some amazing material in the vaults. We would love the opportunity to share it with everybody.”

FUNKY PRETTY BOX: 1972 - 1974 SESSIONS CONFIRMED  Thud

(jokes, but obviously that's the next big one)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: July 22, 2021, 02:40:25 AM »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:40:54 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: July 22, 2021, 04:08:39 AM »

Missed it ... it's been taken down already,  damn.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: July 22, 2021, 02:57:34 PM »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:59:07 PM by thetojo » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: July 22, 2021, 03:30:51 PM »

Whatever you guys are talking about, could you share with the rest of us, please?? Did we all miss something incredible?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: July 22, 2021, 05:37:53 PM »

Whatever you guys are talking about, could you share with the rest of us, please?? Did we all miss something incredible?
It was an upload of an alternate version of The Trader, the ending jam from Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again, and an alternate version of In My Room.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: July 23, 2021, 12:15:24 AM »

Sounded like a "Trader" demo, different vocal performance, no 2nd section. Not the best sound quality but really cool. Also extended flute jam at end of WiBNtLA, pretty nice (the extended version on FF will feature it), and the early version of In My Room which I believe was on the GV box set. Here today, Lei'd in Maui....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 10:40:20 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3658 on: July 28, 2021, 09:04:45 AM »

Posted by the Beach Boys' Facebook account:

Friday we are releasing not one, but TWO tracks off the #FeelFlows box set. Any guesses on which ones?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: July 29, 2021, 09:38:56 AM »

The two tracks are "This Whole World - Alternate Ending" and "Surf's Up - A Cappella". They are now available on Spotify here in Australia, it being after midnight here and us being quite near the International Date Line. The rest of the world should get them as their clocks tick over.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3660 on: July 29, 2021, 09:58:44 AM »

The Surf's Up a cappella would seem to be straightforwardly the vocal track from the 1971 version. This Whole World has a different vocal take for both Carl and Brian, though up to the ending the only obvious difference is that Carl sings "full of different people" rather than "lots of different people" and "ooh, here comes another day" rather than "now hear comes another day". At the very end though, rather than the a cappella tag, there's a quite different vocal arrangement designed to bring the song to a climax along with the end of the instrumental track. It's obviously great to hear, and the whole track is beautifully mixed, but the changes that were made on the released version were for the better.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 10:02:15 AM by William Bowe » Logged
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: July 29, 2021, 10:13:35 AM »

Thanks for the description William, I'm looking forward to hearing them
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: July 29, 2021, 05:50:56 PM »

OK the box set got delayed and I just lost interest..  was burned out

Just heard the new singles... excitement is back to 200%

That ending is absolutely incredible, my god

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: July 29, 2021, 10:43:52 PM »

The alternate This Whole World is up on YouTube. It is absolutely terrific, has an easygoing, relaxed lead vocal with different phrasing and a couple of different lyrics, different-style backing vocals near the end and the close is pure '60s Sunshine Pop gold. The best FF nugget yet released!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3664 on: July 30, 2021, 01:21:24 AM »

Is that ending to "This whole World", which I haven't heard yet, the same they played on that one commercial?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: July 30, 2021, 04:30:04 AM »

Is that ending to "This whole World", which I haven't heard yet, the same they played on that one commercial?

I believe so, this is the alternate tag described

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: July 30, 2021, 04:55:59 AM »

The alternate This Whole World is up on YouTube. It is absolutely terrific, has an easygoing, relaxed lead vocal with different phrasing and a couple of different lyrics, different-style backing vocals near the end and the close is pure '60s Sunshine Pop gold. The best FF nugget yet released!

'the close is pure '60s Sunshine Pop gold'   SPOT ON!!   
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: July 30, 2021, 05:02:52 AM »

'the close is pure '60s Sunshine Pop gold'
Oh yes!!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3668 on: July 30, 2021, 05:49:29 AM »

Very thankful they did not end up going with this cheeseball ending.  The a capella tag in the final version always gave me chills.  This ending sounds more at home capping an episode of The Love Boat instead.  Still it's fascinating to listen to.  Can't wait for this release to come out!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 05:50:45 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: July 30, 2021, 11:57:06 AM »

'the close is pure '60s Sunshine Pop gold'   SPOT ON!!   

Agreed completely
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3670 on: July 30, 2021, 12:08:15 PM »

That's cool. Also nice that we can now connect these two things 'officially'.

The released "This whole World"'s ending is perfect and one of the most powerful moments in the Beach Boys' canon imo. It gives the song something to go out on. The alternate ending - after one listen - is very nice but doesn't round up the song. It sounds like an unfinished thing. It was definitely the right decision to use the acapella tag.

- Jack Rieley
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: July 30, 2021, 12:21:31 PM »

That's cool. Also nice that we can now connect these two things 'officially'.

The released "This whole World"'s ending is perfect and one of the most powerful moments in the Beach Boys' canon imo. It gives the song something to go out on. The alternate ending - after one listen - is very nice but doesn't round up the song. It sounds like an unfinished thing. It was definitely the right decision to use the acapella tag.

The 'alternate ending' was devised specifically for use in a commercial a year later.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 12:22:22 PM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: July 30, 2021, 02:00:48 PM »

Love this.

Can't wait for the next 4 weeks to pass - my experiments with a DeLorean have stalled-!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:05:55 PM by thetojo » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: July 31, 2021, 05:26:19 AM »

Whoa, that was unexpected! I didn't check the time of the track beforehand, but I was thinking it'd be the extended jam we've heard about.

Pretty wild how they even accomplished making this ending. They must've had to go into the multi's and re-record a lot of the instruments to follow the new chords.

Sorry if it's been spoken about already, but Mr. Desper, if you're reading this, do you remember recording this bit? It seems like a lot of effort went into matching the original sounds.

Also - not sure I'm hearing Brian in the blend - seems to me the ending is a Bruce creation?

The alternate lead vocal is sweet. I wonder if that's an earlier outtake, or if it was re-cut for the commercial.

Mr. Linett, if you're reading - this sounds like it could be a Frankenstein mix, or is this what was on the multis as is?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: July 31, 2021, 09:11:21 AM »

Pretty wild how they even accomplished making this ending. They must've had to go into the multi's and re-record a lot of the instruments to follow the new chords.

Sorry if it's been spoken about already, but Mr. Desper, if you're reading this, do you remember recording this bit? It seems like a lot of effort went into matching the original sounds.

The track at the end is not a re-recording, it's just what was on the tape after the master cuts off to go a capella.  There's a big drum fill without any other instruments (thus the opportunity for Bruce to reharmonize here) and then I think they actually play another verse, but I might be misremembering that part.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx