gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:37:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841570 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3575 on: June 25, 2021, 01:23:33 AM »

Here's the youtube-link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJCB57gHhM

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
waketheworld
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: June 25, 2021, 04:11:52 PM »

Listening to Susie... er... is this a pattern? ie. The preview tracks coming from the least talented songwriters of the group (and definitely the least associated with the creative bonanza that the Sunflower/Surf's Up era represent)... what's next... a Bruce song?

that's harsh...I didn't say untrue, I said harsh
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3577 on: June 25, 2021, 05:19:25 PM »

That’s a pretty odd choice to promote the set ... a 15 Big Ones-era live track w the horns, etc? Not ‘69-‘71 era, and not really one of their better live performances or periods for live shows either IMO.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: June 25, 2021, 07:09:49 PM »

That’s a pretty odd choice to promote the set ... a 15 Big Ones-era live track w the horns, etc? Not ‘69-‘71 era, and not really one of their better live performances or periods for live shows either IMO.

A very odd choice indeed. As a hard-core fan I can certainly appreciate it, but it's just a strange choice on every level, I don't think this choice of a teaser single will get one additional person to purchase the box. I'm not dissing it though, it's a good performance and I've always liked this song, although I'm sure it's not one of the best tracks on the entire box, and perhaps they're just really trying to keep the best stuff under wraps for now.

My guess would be the powers that be were really trying to be diplomatic about giving a spotlight to each of the band members and their own songs. That may well have been some contractual thing. Or maybe it's just some sort of a directive from marketing to showcase each member and this song was chosen because somebody working on this it happens to like it. But my guess is that Al gave it a thumbs up and then he probably still has an affection for his own song.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 07:11:18 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3579 on: June 25, 2021, 07:38:16 PM »

A very odd choice indeed. As a hard-core fan I can certainly appreciate it, but it's just a strange choice on every level, I don't think this choice of a teaser single will get one additional person to purchase the box. I'm not dissing it though, it's a good performance and I've always liked this song, although I'm sure it's not one of the best tracks on the entire box, and perhaps they're just really trying to keep the best stuff under wraps for now.

My guess would be the powers that be were really trying to be diplomatic about giving a spotlight to each of the band members and their own songs. That may well have been some contractual thing. Or maybe it's just some sort of a directive from marketing to showcase each member and this song was chosen because somebody working on this it happens to like it. But my guess is that Al gave it a thumbs up and then he probably still has an affection for his own song.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the idea of the ‘69-‘71 set including live performances of songs from the era but performed in other eras. I don’t get that ... I’d rather hear, say- “Country Air” as it was performed in 1970 ... just seems to me that the continuity and vision for the set would be better served with that than a 1989 performance of “This Whole World” ending the original Sunflower LP. One man’s opinion. Possibly a cost-saving measure to include dupes of the same songs, in terms publishing $$$.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 07:39:21 PM by DonnyL » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3580 on: June 25, 2021, 09:14:36 PM »

I don't understand that choice of songs to release either. It's a recording from 5 years after the era being presented on the box. If this is a teaser to generate interest, why not generate interest with a track from the era being covered on the set?

I'll speak freely on this one...it reminds me of the label's decision to release "Runaway Dancer" as a single from Brian's "No Pier Pressure" and have it performed on Conan's TV show to generate interest in the album and tour. It wasn't in the top-5 songs on that album, objectively and in my opinion, yet the label said let's push this as a single. Never agreed with that decision considering what else surrounded that song in terms of quality and representing Brian Wilson's music.

It would be like putting a track from a Mike & Bruce concert in the 2000's on the Made In California set and using it as a teaser. It doesn't make sense, but I hope whatever interest is generated is positive for the set itself. 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: June 25, 2021, 11:12:06 PM »

So... my 2cd order from amazon UK has been pushed back to September 2nd

Cool

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: June 25, 2021, 11:38:39 PM »

Amazon U.K. also lowered the presale price to Ł74.91 (all pre orders will go out at the lowest price it hits before release)
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: June 26, 2021, 05:52:10 AM »

Cool

Yep my Amazon US order of the 5CD set was pushed to 8/27
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: June 26, 2021, 06:55:24 AM »

Cool

Huh

Could this mean that worldwide release has been postponed to late August? I'd be disappointed.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: June 26, 2021, 06:56:08 AM »

(sorry, double post)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 06:57:21 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: June 26, 2021, 07:30:19 AM »

This release isn't just celebrating the Sunflower/Surf's Up era, it's also celebrating the songs created and recorded during this time.  I'm fine with the idea of including live versions of these songs as performed through the years - most were not performed live in 69-71 anyway.

I suspect the live 69-71 concerts will come in a copyright dump online at the end of the year.
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: June 26, 2021, 08:08:30 AM »

Cool

Huh

Could this mean that worldwide release has been postponed to late August? I'd be disappointed.

The physical one for sure. But curiously, both Amazon and Apple Music still list the date as July 30th. Hopefully it's just the physical that's delayed and we don't have to wait another month to hear it at all.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: June 26, 2021, 08:25:56 AM »

Cool

Huh

The physical one for sure. But curiously, both Amazon and Apple Music still list the date as July 30th. Hopefully it's just the physical that's delayed and we don't have to wait another month to hear it at all.

Ah thank you. I'm not acquainted with the way Amazon and Apple Music do these things. I'll patiently wait for the 5CD-set; it's always a delight to order it at my local retailer's, and hand Paul (the owner's name) the money myself when it will have arrived. It is a good, modern, not-too-big record shop; it's aways been a family business, and have bought my vinyl and CDs there for 40 years now. Incredible, when I think about this. This kind of pleasant ritual is so satisfying.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3589 on: June 26, 2021, 09:18:22 AM »

This release isn't just celebrating the Sunflower/Surf's Up era, it's also celebrating the songs created and recorded during this time.  I'm fine with the idea of including live versions of these songs as performed through the years - most were not performed live in 69-71 anyway.

I suspect the live 69-71 concerts will come in a copyright dump online at the end of the year.

I don't think anyone who posted about "Susie" has an issue with including these live versions from other eras on the actual set, in fact I think everyone welcomes them on the set. It was the issue of using a live track from 1976 as an advance promo or teaser kind of thing for the 69-71 set. I don't think it represents what the overall vibe of the set is about, but again that's just my opinion.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: June 26, 2021, 12:16:45 PM »

The official Beach Boys FB page is now saying Aug. 27 for the release date.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: June 26, 2021, 12:30:22 PM »

It's August 27th, folks.

Nothing untoward, weird, or sinister -- just a scheduling thing, as is commonplace.
I promise, a ton of cool stuff coming up.

Get pumped.
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: June 26, 2021, 01:05:20 PM »

It's August 27th, folks.

Nothing untoward, weird, or sinister -- just a scheduling thing, as is commonplace.

Get pumped.

To be entirely clear, since they still all say July 30th, this does include the digital releases, doesn't it?

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: June 26, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »

It's August 27th, folks.

Get pumped.

Cool, and if anything, the new date makes it closer to the original Aug 31, 1970 release date of Sunflower. Thanks for the update, Howie.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: June 26, 2021, 02:57:46 PM »

I kinda like the idea of having the live tracks over the years included. Honestly I was kinda hoping Dylan's More Blood, More Tracks set was gonna use live tracks on that one to demonstrate how the songs have changed over the years on stage.

I will say though, the inclusion of a live 1976 version of "Back Home" is odd. I get that "Back Home" was recorded during the Sunflower sessions, hence it's inclusion. However, while the 1963 version and the 15 Big Ones version are very similar, the Sunflower era version is quite different, perhaps due to the creative mind of one Alan Jardine. Now granted, this Sunflower era version does have the wailing "back home, I spent my summer" part, and that definitely does tie it closer to the 1976 live version. But still, altogether a peculiar choice, and one that would of course fit better on a 15 Big Ones set. Either way though, it's cool, and I'm glad to be getting the track on the new set.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 04:28:49 PM by Jim V. » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: June 26, 2021, 05:51:52 PM »

It's August 27th, folks.

Get pumped.

Glad it's not something untoward, weird or sinister. I hate those things. With Iconic in charge now, surely we've seen the end of that type of crap.

Disappointing though about the sliding date. I'll be okay with it though if it's happened in order to facilitate a concurrent blu-ray audio release, or a live video or something else super-cool like that. If it's just like they don't want this coming out too close to a John Lennon, or George Harrison release or whatever - not happy!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: June 26, 2021, 07:06:13 PM »

It's August 27th, folks.

Get pumped.

Glad it's not something untoward, weird or sinister. I hate those things. With Iconic in charge now, surely we've seen the end of that type of crap.

Disappointing though about the sliding date. I'll be okay with it though if it's happened in order to facilitate a concurrent blu-ray audio release, or a live video or something else super-cool like that. If it's just like they don't want this coming out too close to a John Lennon, or George Harrison release or whatever - not happy!

My guess is it's either being moved to accommodate extra vinyl pressings from better than expected pre-sales... or that the powers that be think a late summer release is the best way to get the best of both worlds when it comes to some fans buying a "summer" (late summer, but still a summer month) BBs product, while also having its existence still be in recent memory for other potential purchasers when it comes time for a holiday gift near the end of the year.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: June 26, 2021, 07:34:30 PM »

Hoping it’s all linked to pre-sales demand. FWIW, I’ve been searching regularly on sites closer to my country than going the US Amazon route, with several listing the set but none yet to have a date or price. Perhaps the algorithms pick this up and the powers that be have decided to increase the run so the suppliers worldwide have stock.
I’ve no knowledge of the business of these releases, but just tossing it in the mix.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: June 27, 2021, 12:11:22 AM »

It's August 27th, folks.

Get pumped.

Thank you Howie -

but are you sure that the delay isn't a consequence of Mike Love having rewritten the booklet notes, in secret and in the last minutes? This kind of thing does happen sometimes, I was told.

It also explains the gap between online and physical release dates.

Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: June 27, 2021, 05:13:22 AM »

I kinda like the idea of having the live tracks over the years included. Honestly I was kinda hoping Dylan's More Blood, More Tracks set was gonna use live tracks on that one to demonstrate how the songs have changed over the years on stage.

I will say though, the inclusion of a live 1976 version of "Back Home" is odd. I get that "Back Home" was recorded during the Sunflower sessions, hence it's inclusion. However, while the 1963 version and the 15 Big Ones version are very similar, the Sunflower era version is quite different, perhaps due to the creative mind of one Alan Jardine. Now granted, this Sunflower era version does have the wailing "back home, I spent my summer" part, and that definitely does tie it closer to the 1976 live version. But still, altogether a peculiar choice, and one that would of course fit better on a 15 Big Ones set. Either way though, it's cool, and I'm glad to be getting the track on the new set.

Quite by accident I found this post from C-man a few years back.

Speaking of lyrical differences, has anyone here heard the live version from '76 as sung by Al (at the shows for which Brian was not present)?  It's hilarious in that Al changed part of it to reflect a summer in the inner city, stealing hubcaps and such.  Been a few years since I heard it last, so I can't quote him verbatim without going downstairs and digging out the old cassettes, but it's really funny.

Perhaps the inclusion of the '76 track is due to it containing a lead by Alan, with changed lyrics. Did Al deliver something which was closer to the '70 version? This would explain it's inclusion.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 05:48:49 AM by Greg Parry » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 149 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx