gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:41:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841891 times)
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3525 on: June 08, 2021, 12:10:21 PM »

I feel like "Add Some Music" would have been a better title for this set, even though I much prefer Feel Flows over that track.  "Add Some Music" was also the original title for Sunflower.

Agree
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 06:47:49 PM by feelintheflows » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: June 08, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »

I feel like "Add Some Music" would have been a better title for this set, even though I much prefer Feel Flows over that track.  "Add Some Music" was also the original title for Sunflower.

Agree. The more I think about it the more I don’t understand the Feel Flows title. Great song I just don’t see the correlation. And the random idiot or casual fan won’t know what it means.

If you're aiming for random idiots, you're looking for trouble. Idiocy breeds it.

This box is aimed at the obsessive fan, not the casual fan.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: June 08, 2021, 02:36:58 PM »

My box set is delayed till the 9th of August  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: June 08, 2021, 02:50:55 PM »

it just means the set is selling very well. we will all get in very soon. im very glad it is selling well.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: June 08, 2021, 03:52:58 PM »

I feel like "Add Some Music" would have been a better title for this set, even though I much prefer Feel Flows over that track.  "Add Some Music" was also the original title for Sunflower.

Agree. The more I think about it the more I don’t understand the Feel Flows title. Great song I just don’t see the correlation. And the random idiot or casual fan won’t know what it means.

If you're aiming for random idiots, you're looking for trouble. Idiocy breeds it.

Okaaay...?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: June 08, 2021, 04:14:41 PM »

it just means the set is selling very well. we will all get in very soon. im very glad it is selling well.

My 2cd is delayed as well from amazon UK.

I'll be waiting a while  LOL

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: June 08, 2021, 04:36:51 PM »

ADD SOME MUSIC was rejected by the Beach Boys when it came time to finally assemble their first Warners LP.

"Feel Flows," the song, as utilized by Cameron Crowe in his popular and well-received film "Almost Famous," was lifted out of relative obscurity by its placement as the film's closing track, reaching an entirely new audience at the time.

FEEL FLOWS, the CD compilation, is a way of giving some long-overdue props to Carl Wilson, who was "the glue" of this entire period, but whose untimely death in 1998 had served to obscure the magnitude of his contributions to the "democratic" period that the band entered into from 1968-73. All the surviving members of the band are well aware of just how significant Carl's contributions were in keeping the band on track in a time frame when things could just as easily fallen apart. I'm guessing that all of them wanted to use that song title as a way of recalibrating everyone's understanding of the band's history--just as Brian decided to honor his brother by using another of Carl's songs, LONG PROMISED ROAD, as the title of a documentary.

I don't think the band had the title thrust upon them, and even if such was the case, they've had plenty of time to change their minds (which they have been well-known for doing over the years!)...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: June 08, 2021, 06:24:26 PM »

Imagine we got a landlocked bonus disc 😍

I wonder if that was very considered. Hopefully we get an in depth Alan or Mark interview soon.

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3533 on: June 08, 2021, 08:11:31 PM »

ADD SOME MUSIC was rejected by the Beach Boys when it came time to finally assemble their first Warners LP.

"Feel Flows," the song, as utilized by Cameron Crowe in his popular and well-received film "Almost Famous," was lifted out of relative obscurity by its placement as the film's closing track, reaching an entirely new audience at the time.

FEEL FLOWS, the CD compilation, is a way of giving some long-overdue props to Carl Wilson, who was "the glue" of this entire period, but whose untimely death in 1998 had served to obscure the magnitude of his contributions to the "democratic" period that the band entered into from 1968-73. All the surviving members of the band are well aware of just how significant Carl's contributions were in keeping the band on track in a time frame when things could just as easily fallen apart. I'm guessing that all of them wanted to use that song title as a way of recalibrating everyone's understanding of the band's history--just as Brian decided to honor his brother by using another of Carl's songs, LONG PROMISED ROAD, as the title of a documentary.

I don't think the band had the title thrust upon them, and even if such was the case, they've had plenty of time to change their minds (which they have been well-known for doing over the years!)...

I know all of this and agree somewhat, but I still think that "Add Some Music" just works better as a title for a box set compilation and for John Q Public who unfortunately has little familiarity to some of the music on this set.  BB fanatics like us would buy the set regardless of what it was called.

And AFAIK the "Add Some Music" title was never actually "rejected" by anyone, it was just changed to Sunflower for the final approved album after several iterations of the track lineup had been rejected.  If the album had been approved by Warner/Reprise earlier in 1970 it would have gone out with that title.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 08:12:34 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: June 09, 2021, 01:29:30 AM »

"Add Some Music" is a mediocre and prosaic title in general, for the song or single putative album it's OK, but for an ambitious box set "Feel Flows" is far superior.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: June 09, 2021, 05:55:30 AM »

"Add Some Music" is a mediocre and prosaic title in general, for the song or single putative album it's OK, but for an ambitious box set "Feel Flows" is far superior.

This. "Sunflower" is a much better title. "Feel Flows" is an insanely superior box title.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: June 09, 2021, 06:29:24 AM »

The 'Til I Die piano demo is an instrumental run-through of the chords, very rough and basic. But it's nice to hear Brian's voicings this clear.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: June 09, 2021, 06:32:54 AM »

The Surf's Up 1971 remake track with 1966 Brian vocals is a weird thing. It's intriguing, but not a great listening experience. I wonder just how much of it was flown-in. Perhaps the muted trumpets were also flown-in. I think I would have preferred hearing the 1971 backing track as it was left, but it's still nice to be able to hear it in some form.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: June 09, 2021, 07:08:04 AM »

There's an alternate mix of "Long promised road" "out there", in hd, you can clearly hear the instruments, and the vocals are crispy, that clocks in at 4:51. On the FF box set there are: the 2019 master, 3:32, a cappella, 4:00, live 1972, 4:14 and track/backing vocals, 3:38 versions. Did they miss out on that one? And is the rest of the SU album available in hd, like the "LPR" alternate mix - is it a fan mix?
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: June 09, 2021, 07:23:06 AM »

The Surf's Up 1971 remake track with 1966 Brian vocals is a weird thing. It's intriguing, but not a great listening experience. I wonder just how much of it was flown-in. Perhaps the muted trumpets were also flown-in. I think I would have preferred hearing the 1971 backing track as it was left, but it's still nice to be able to hear it in some form.

What do you mean by "flown-in"? It's presented exactly as recorded; no extra instruments were added.
Mr. G
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: June 09, 2021, 08:19:44 AM »

Importcds.com 5 Cd set for US $88.52 plus s/h
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: June 09, 2021, 08:50:17 AM »

If the set is called feel flows a song off of a  1971 album wouldn’t you think the cover art would be something similar to that  same
 album?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3542 on: June 09, 2021, 10:36:19 AM »

I think the people working on this set know what they're doing as far as choosing a title and cover art.

They don't have to do a hard sell on this for hardcore fans; we'll buy this if they're loose discs in a manila envelope.

This is being targeted to a wider array of potential buyers (and not necessarily total random schlubs, but fans of this type of music that still don't know about early 70s BBs), and the title and cover art are being presented as a *new* product.

The title needs to be short and punchy and memorable hopefully, and the cover art eye-catching.

I can't not have a soft spot for the cover art for "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up", but this type of set clearly needs something else, for many reasons.

I don't want to get too bogged down in the semantics of an "Add Some Music" title. I'd say if that was the title, it would beg questions (e.g. "add some music to WHAT?"), and "Add Some Music to Your Day" is probably too long. Social media hashtags and metadata for all sorts of online services are hindered the longer a title is. "Feel Flows" is perfect.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:37:37 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: June 09, 2021, 12:44:28 PM »

If the set is called feel flows a song off of a  1971 album wouldn’t you think the cover art would be something similar to that  same
 album?

With the country (hopefully...) coming out of a pandemic, my sense is that the powers that be opted for something more positive in tone/color than the wonderful but ultra-moody SURF'S UP album art.

And this way they split the difference--by titling the collection with a song from SURF'S UP, but referencing the art from the "album offering" of SUNFLOWER.

And they did the sunflower up proudly with Disk Five, n'est-ce pas?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:45:51 PM by Don Malcolm » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3544 on: June 09, 2021, 12:53:35 PM »

I don't want to get too bogged down in the semantics of an "Add Some Music" title. I'd say if that was the title, it would beg questions (e.g. "add some music to WHAT?"),

I don't see it like that. I think "Add some Music" would be a nice title. It just advices you to add music to basically everything. Just add some music. Now, I guess the title would make the most sense in combination with the backcover of "Sunflower" which actually mentions some ingredients (I guess that was the idea?). But what the heck. "Add some Music" is a nice phrase.

Regarding the new set: I'm fine with "Feel Flows". It's not as catchy, sure, but it works as a description of how the Beach Boys' best music was done: By letting your feelings flow into it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Steven
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: June 09, 2021, 03:34:47 PM »

I feel like "Add Some Music" would have been a better title for this set, even though I much prefer Feel Flows over that track.  "Add Some Music" was also the original title for Sunflower.

FEEL FLOWS is the  perfect title in commercial and aesthetic terms. Best known song on the box, heard by millions since 2000 via the film Almost Famous.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 04:15:09 PM by Steven » Logged

Formerly known as "Moon Dawg"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: June 10, 2021, 01:43:38 AM »

Hmm....appealing. Anyone used this seller before?
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: June 10, 2021, 04:28:28 AM »

The 'Til I Die piano demo is an instrumental run-through of the chords, very rough and basic. But it's nice to hear Brian's voicings this clear.

Where are you listening to it?
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: June 10, 2021, 09:43:32 AM »

Many times. All legit and good.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: June 10, 2021, 12:47:54 PM »

Many times. All legit and good.

I've bought from them on amazon, never used their website before. I got a refund from uDiscover and went with ImportCDs instead.
I'll be checking with them first from now on. thanks Mr. G
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx