gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:54:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 844344 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: June 04, 2021, 09:23:34 AM »

Got an email saying the two disc will be delayed till the 4th or 5th of August

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: June 04, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »

Preordered for $152 Canadian with taxes all in  Grin
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: June 04, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »

Preordered for $152 Canadian with taxes all in  Grin

same here!

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: June 04, 2021, 12:15:25 PM »

in case anyone missed it, you can get 25% off ($37.50) the uDiscover price of $149.98. with tax it came to about $120 for me

and now THE WAIT.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3479 on: June 04, 2021, 01:31:08 PM »

Does anyone have a clue as to when the live version of "This whole World" was recorded? They played it at a couple of shows in '88, usually in a medley with "Don't worry Baby", I believe, not unlike Brian did in his early solo touring years ("Live at the Roxy").

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3480 on: June 04, 2021, 03:03:28 PM »

Does anyone have a clue as to when the live version of "This whole World" was recorded? They played it at a couple of shows in '88, usually in a medley with "Don't worry Baby", I believe, not unlike Brian did in his early solo touring years ("Live at the Roxy").

It was in and out of the setlist for at least a few months. That pro-shot Arizona show with the song is from May '88, and I think there's an audience recording from August of '88 with the song.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: June 04, 2021, 03:12:05 PM »

in case anyone missed it, you can get 25% off ($37.50) the uDiscover price of $149.98. with tax it came to about $120 for me

Many thanks for the heads up!   Ordered the 5cd from uD with the SUMMER25 code.   ~$112 with the discount + sales tax, so about $12 below Bezos' price. (Of course, with Amazon's pre-order price guarantee, it's possible that a lower price will kick in at some point between now and the end of July).

ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: June 04, 2021, 04:23:05 PM »

I just preordered my 5-CD set. I'm so excited, everything about this is amazing. We are so lucky! Sunflower and Surf's Up are two of the greatest albums of all time. This is well-deserved.
DJ Mark David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: June 05, 2021, 01:23:00 AM »

I had to do the 5cd + the 4 LP.

Was on the fence about colored vinyl but in the end there’s nothing wrong with good old black.

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: June 05, 2021, 03:16:36 AM »

Was on the fence about colored vinyl but in the end there’s nothing wrong with good old black.

Why both? Seems there isn't anything on the vinyl that isn't on the 5CD-set (except som shorter edits)?

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3485 on: June 05, 2021, 03:25:13 AM »

It was in and out of the setlist for at least a few months. That pro-shot Arizona show with the song is from May '88, and I think there's an audience recording from August of '88 with the song.

Yes. I wondered from what date the "new" version comes from.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DJ Mark David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: June 05, 2021, 11:49:57 AM »

Why both? Seems there isn't anything on the vinyl that isn't on the 5CD-set (except som shorter edits)?

CDs for the car, LPs for home....
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: June 05, 2021, 10:12:42 PM »

So maybe it got buried, maybe nobody cares...

But on the 1969: I'm Going Your Way EP from 2019, there was "I'm Going Your Way" classified as an "Alternate Vocal Take" while Feel Flows version of the song is listed an as "alternate mix" or something of that nature. Does anybody else (besides me) think that the "alternate mix" label is likely not intended? Because otherwise, we basically started aren't getting the quote-unquote original version. Now of course since Dennis isn't with us (and that at least I am not sure he ever got the tune to the final mix down status) anything put out is likely the work of Mark Linett and of course okayed by Brian, Mike, Al, Carl's estate and perhaps Bruce.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 10:36:48 PM by Jim V. » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: June 05, 2021, 10:37:02 PM »

Also, anybody find it kinda weird that there will be "2019 mixes" of both "Good Time" and "When Girls Get Together"? Personally I figured that their inclusion on the set would have them as they left when the era that encompasses the set ends, as of course both were later put on official, canon Beach Boys studio albums. My assumption is that both will be presented as closely as possible to what they were in '70 and/or '71. Anyway though, is it possible that neither were given even rough mixes in '70/'71?

Lastly, anybody sure about the writers on "It's Natural" and "Won't You Tell Me"? I know it's been said that "It's Natural" is collaboration between Brian and David Sandler but I hadn't seen it confirmed. If it is indeed a Wilson/Sandler tune I am very interested to hear it as "Sweet Mountain" is pretty close to a masterpiece in my book. As far as "Won't You Tell Me" goes, I assumed that it was a collaboration between Murry Wilson and Rick Henn. But then comes the Rolling Stone article and you have Brian saying what he said. Anybody know what's up on either of these or will we just have to wait for the set and scour the credits?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: June 05, 2021, 10:48:22 PM »

For those in the US who perhaps want to support an indie store, although not bricks and mortar. Price seems to match Amazon.

https://recordstoreday.com/UPC/602508802188
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: June 06, 2021, 04:01:31 AM »

After 133 pages of build-up I'm thrilled to see the flow's been freed! This looks amazing, huge congrats to all involved.

It's also a brilliant sign that the music press is involved and making some seriously good noise about this, not just in music terms, but about the bones of the set itself:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/beach-boys-feel-flows-box-set-guide-1176987/

Plus a brief teaser here:
https://pitchfork.com/news/the-beach-boys-releasing-box-set-of-sunflower-and-surfs-up-sessions/
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: June 06, 2021, 04:25:57 AM »

Also, anybody find it kinda weird that there will be "2019 mixes" of both "Good Time" and "When Girls Get Together"? Personally I figured that their inclusion on the set would have them as they left when the era that encompasses the set ends, as of course both were later put on official, canon Beach Boys studio albums. My assumption is that both will be presented as closely as possible to what they were in '70 and/or '71. Anyway though, is it possible that neither were given even rough mixes in '70/'71?

Lastly, anybody sure about the writers on "It's Natural" and "Won't You Tell Me"? I know it's been said that "It's Natural" is collaboration between Brian and David Sandler but I hadn't seen it confirmed. If it is indeed a Wilson/Sandler tune I am very interested to hear it as "Sweet Mountain" is pretty close to a masterpiece in my book. As far as "Won't You Tell Me" goes, I assumed that it was a collaboration between Murry Wilson and Rick Henn. But then comes the Rolling Stone article and you have Brian saying what he said. Anybody know what's up on either of these or will we just have to wait for the set and scour the credits?

Good Time and When Girls Get Together were both mixed in 1970 and included on the original submission of Sunflower. I'm looking forward to any new mixes, a lot, but I agree that it's a bit of a strange discrepancy when remasters of the original albums are what the set is otherwise prioritising. Those are reflective of the group's artistic intent at the time too, and would have been on the album had it not been for the label. This Whole World and 1970's Good Time had the same stamp of approval, and I don't think the treatment should differ, whether that's remixing both or remastering both. Since we're not going down the remix route, I hope a cop ex release will put the remaining '69-'70 mixes in one place (including those that are already scattered on different comps like Susie and Got My Pay).

It's Natural, I believe, was just written by David Sandler. The I'm Going Your Way released in 2019 featured the later lead vocal attempt - the bootlegged take is a scratch.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:56:27 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
DingDangIsTheGreatestSong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: June 06, 2021, 06:23:35 AM »

So I pre-ordered the 4 LP colored vinyl, are there any differences from the CD version? Also, I ordered from the BB website it says it going to ship on July 30th, I thought pre-ordering you'd get it the day of, but will probably have to wait until sometime in August right?
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: June 06, 2021, 08:54:38 AM »

So I pre-ordered the 4 LP colored vinyl, are there any differences from the CD version? Also, I ordered from the BB website it says it going to ship on July 30th, I thought pre-ordering you'd get it the day of, but will probably have to wait until sometime in August right?

The differences between the LPs and CDs, some tracks are shorter mixes (Live Again for example is presumably missing the jam ending). HOWEVER, one track seems to be longer. The Live in 1971 It's About Time seems to be 10 seconds longer on the LP than the CD. In addition, some tracks are labelled as "2019" mix on the CD and "2020" on the LP or vice verse. However that might just be a clerical error.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: June 06, 2021, 09:07:27 AM »

If I see anything disappointing here it would be "Sound of Free" 1970 single mix 2019 master... was really hoping we would get a stereo version of this, even if they had to create one using today's tech. otherwise, pretty happy with what I'm seeing
  Cool

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: June 06, 2021, 10:33:34 AM »

Wait until you hear the session excerpt for "Sound Of Free."
I told Boyd -- "This sounds like if Lennon recorded Plastic Ono Band during the RAM sessions."

This thing is packed with, like, a billion little gems.

What a group.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: June 06, 2021, 11:01:01 AM »

Wait until you hear the session excerpt for "Sound Of Free."
I told Boyd -- "This sounds like if Lennon recorded Plastic Ono Band during the RAM sessions."

This thing is packed with, like, a billion little gems.

What a group.

Wow, that is amazing, cannot wait to hear.

In the event that there's a follow up digital release sequel that comes out with some extra content that wasn't able to fit on the CDs, like Sunshine Tomorrow 2, I'm realllly hoping there might be some alternate versions of Celebrate The News, either session excerpts or instrumental version with backing vocals, stuff like that. (Of course I'm chomping at the bit to hear the new mix that is included on the proper set! Smiley )

I have a hunch if this physical release set sounds like hotcakes, that we might be lucky and get a sequel set of extra tracks like that. There's certainly a recent case of that happening from only several years back as I mentioned.

That said, I certainly don't want to be a whiner and complain about what we didn't get, I am extraordinarily grateful for what we will get already with this set that's going to come out!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:15:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: June 06, 2021, 11:33:29 AM »

If I see anything disappointing here it would be "Sound of Free" 1970 single mix 2019 master... was really hoping we would get a stereo version of this, even if they had to create one using today's tech. otherwise, pretty happy with what I'm seeing
  Cool

The multi-track master of Sound of Free could not be found.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: June 06, 2021, 11:54:33 AM »

Mark, thank you so much for your efforts to bring this set to fruition!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:55:18 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: June 06, 2021, 12:40:13 PM »

As far as "Won't You Tell Me" goes, I assumed that it was a collaboration between Murry Wilson and Rick Henn. But then comes the Rolling Stone article and you have Brian saying what he said. Anybody know what's up on either of these or will we just have to wait for the set and scour the credits?

discussed it a little a page or 2 back.
a couple of us are glad Brian is now claiming credit for it, while a couple others seem sure that Murry wrote it and Brian is misremembering. appears that it's being credited to both Brian and Murry in the liner notes.

I've been revisiting the song (which i love) since the announcement. the chords, harmonies, melody, lyrics, not to mention Brian's sheer investment in singing the thing, all point to him indeed having written it. and now we have Brian saying he wrote it entirely. doesn't seem like a thing he'd forget or falsely take credit for.

at any rate, I'm ecstatic we're getting 2 separate versions of this gem of a song.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 12:54:10 PM by bossaroo » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx