gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:06:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 844715 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3450 on: June 03, 2021, 02:32:07 PM »

Corrections welcome. Track lengths are sourced from the Beach Boys web store.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 07:38:07 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: June 03, 2021, 03:12:54 PM »

Thanks for those, BD. Very helpful.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 03:13:57 PM by thetojo » Logged
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: June 03, 2021, 03:59:43 PM »

Guys, does this mean that we get the extended flute jam version?Huh

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: June 03, 2021, 03:59:59 PM »

Any chance we could get some insight from one of our honoured guests regarding the amazon UK box set situation  Smiley

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: June 03, 2021, 04:10:45 PM »

Interesting that Brian claims authorship of Won't You Tell Me. Musically it doesn't really strike me as being Brian-esque. The chord changes and uneven metre are aren't typical of him imo, and it always made more sense to me that it would be Murry trying to write a Brian-style song. Also, what's the likelihood that Brian's misremembering here, considering it's a song he probably hasn't thought about in five decades? Maybe hearing the organ demo with him on vocals was enough for him to falsely remember that he must've penned it.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: June 03, 2021, 05:01:09 PM »

Guys, does this mean that we get the extended flute jam version?Huh

That's affirmative!

The pictures of the covers of "Brother Proposed Bonus Tracks" CDs that were available on the internet years back had a timing of 7:07, but one would think that a 6:45 edit would have to include said extended flute jam.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 05:07:26 PM by thetojo » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: June 03, 2021, 05:12:18 PM »

AWESOME!!!

I just pre-ordered from iTunes and I'm gonna buy the vinyl set as well on Amazon. Does anyone know if the vinyl set comes with the same book as the 5 CD set?

This set looks INCREDIBLE. And the audio of Big Sur - it sounds so crisp and gorgeous. I cannot wait for this!!!

Howie, thanks so SO much for all the hard work you've put into this. You, Mark, Alan, and anyone else who helped are making the world a much happier place right now.

*edit. Looks like the book that comes with the vinyl set is softcover (as opposed to the hardcover with the CD version) - hopefully they both have the same content?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 05:14:01 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: June 03, 2021, 05:16:56 PM »

Anyone know what "Before" is? I think that's the only title I've never heard of.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: June 03, 2021, 05:23:39 PM »

Just pre-ordered my 5CD from Amazon, and will pick up the LPs upon release at our last remaining local record store this summer!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: June 03, 2021, 05:25:58 PM »

Any chance we could get some insight from one of our honoured guests regarding the amazon UK box set situation  Smiley

Australia Amazon too please. No prices yet and no CD box. LPs 2+4 and 2 CD only
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: June 03, 2021, 05:39:44 PM »

*edit. Looks like the book that comes with the vinyl set is softcover (as opposed to the hardcover with the CD version) - hopefully they both have the same content?
The 5CD and 4LP books can't have the same content because the 5CD book would refer to many songs not on the 4LP set and have different track by track annotation.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: June 03, 2021, 05:56:28 PM »

the 2 cd booklet and 4 lp booklet are different from the 5 cd booklet

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Cork On The Ocean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: June 03, 2021, 06:06:57 PM »

Great couple of days celebrating the news. Love the artwork. Better than I could have imagined. Preordered the 5CD set and the Color 4LP set from the BB store. Guess they decided against the Fred Vail track "All for the Love of a Girl"? Hope that (or any other tracks from that album) eventually get some sort of release.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: June 03, 2021, 11:02:44 PM »

Corrections welcome. Track lengths are sourced from the Beach Boys web store.

Great job man, thanks!

I don't see anything that warrants a purchase of anything more than the 5CD boxset - especially if the vinyl is digitally sourced. The main difference between the versions seems to be just shortening of tracks.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 11:04:20 PM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: June 03, 2021, 11:42:36 PM »

https://littlepadbeachboys.blogspot.com/2021/06/feel-flows-box-set-officially-announced.html
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: June 04, 2021, 12:14:17 AM »

Looking at worldwide Amazon sites, the boxed set does appear to be limited to the US right now, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm hoping this is just a short supply issue, and I think we also need to factor in the pandemic as a contributor. However it could be that they simply haven't prepared for the overwhelming demand for this set. I'm tempted to order from the US, but I want it on release day.

I suppose I could tentatively put in a US order and then cancel it if and when the UK site is stocking it, but I've had issues with them charging before dispatch in the past.

What to do......
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: June 04, 2021, 01:15:05 AM »

Very cool how Dillon Carson's "fan art" became the basis for the cover art.   And interesting how Al's depiction was de-Teutonized.

For me it's always started and finished with the music, but I've always thought that one of the truly fun aspects of the Beach Boys' "universe" is the many examples of fans, through sheer enthusiasm, becoming part of the story.  There have been countless examples of that, e.g., fans being commissioned to do liner notes; fans like Jeff Foskett becoming part of the BB touring band; Smile superfans like Darian & Wondermints becoming part of Brian's band and playing a key role in the resurrection of Smile, etc etc.  I remember that even one of those guys from the Fendertones somehow got invited to play a few gigs with Brian's band.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3467 on: June 04, 2021, 01:23:58 AM »

Interesting that Brian claims authorship of Won't You Tell Me. Musically it doesn't really strike me as being Brian-esque. The chord changes and uneven metre are aren't typical of him imo, and it always made more sense to me that it would be Murry trying to write a Brian-style song. Also, what's the likelihood that Brian's misremembering here, considering it's a song he probably hasn't thought about in five decades? Maybe hearing the organ demo with him on vocals was enough for him to falsely remember that he must've penned it.

I agree with this. Although I'm haven't listened to the song in a while it definitely had that vibe of Murry's style. On the other hand the recently released "Be here in the morning, baby" also sounded more like what I was expecting from Murry. It had that square music sound (not meant in a negative way).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 01:25:38 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: June 04, 2021, 01:32:47 AM »

Smile superfans like Darian & Wondermints becoming part of Brian's band and playing a key role in the resurrection of Smile

Somewhat related, being part of the 20 minute standing ovation at the second Smile show has to be one of the greatest honours of my life, especially when it was said that that was when Brian finally let go of the demons surrounding that album. It is lovely how, even in a small way, the fans become an integral part of the tapestry.

I'm also reminded of when Mike thanked Bossaroo for his depiction of him as Emperor Palpatine. Priceless!

As Hey Jude has elsewhere stated, we also played a supporting role in getting this set released.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3469 on: June 04, 2021, 01:39:43 AM »

I'm listening to the song "Feel Flows" right now and I just remembered that in an interview back in the day Carl described how the sounds on that song were produced. I wonder if that will be part of the booklet. It's certainly not a "lost" interview or such, but it is a nice moment that focuses on the music and technical aspect. Anyway, just talking.... don't pay too much attention to me. I'm just really looking forward to this set.

The Beach Boys Announce Feel Flows – The Sunflower & Surf’s Up Sessions 1969-1971 Box Set

https://consequence.net/2021/06/the-beach-boys-feel-flows-box-set/?fbclid=IwAR091W0q0BB1w7srGUL6dQZt6hh8iZgvHUeTWcnxr1BZ0ex3kPsqWiLfnyE
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 01:43:29 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: June 04, 2021, 02:39:01 AM »

Rolling Stone has this article:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/beach-boys-feel-flows-box-set-guide-1176987/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: June 04, 2021, 04:19:16 AM »

the 2 cd booklet and 4 lp booklet are different from the 5 cd booklet

The 5CD and 4LP books can't have the same content because the 5CD book would refer to many songs not on the 4LP set and have different track by track annotation.

Good call, I didn't think of that. I wonder if the vinyl booklet at least has the same essay that the 5 cd book has.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: June 04, 2021, 04:48:19 AM »

It's available for pre-order from HMV right now if you don't want to wait for Amazon

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: June 04, 2021, 06:41:47 AM »

Ordered the 5CD set on Amazon.de for €90!!!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: June 04, 2021, 07:32:52 AM »

lookin' at tomorrow, a welfare song

at the beginning of the false (guitar) starts you can hear Al say "Not now, Carnie"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx