gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:42:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841590 times)
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: May 16, 2021, 08:06:19 AM »

This will be quite exciting! I can’t wait until July! Cheesy
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: May 16, 2021, 11:06:18 AM »

Got to credit David Beard on the EH board.

https://esquarterly.com/2021/05/16/al-jardine-discusses-the-beach-boys-feel-flows-set-and-potentials-for-a-60th-anniversary/

Feel Flows box set

Al Jardine: Wait until you hear the live version of “Take A Load Off Your Feet”; it will blow your ‘sandals’ off! It is so damn good … I almost fainted when I heard it. I didn’t even remember performing it live. I think Mike Meros is on the keys … There’s an entire live performance section that will be on the Feel Flows set of that era’s songs from different performances of ours through the years. It’s beautifully done … absolute perfection. I’ve always hated the studio version of “Take A Load Off Your Feet,” but now I LOVE it because of this live version. Isn’t that funny? It’s what I call ‘playback/payback.’

There are a lot of great live tracks performed through the years from that era that are on the new Feel Flows release, and at least half the collection contains alternate takes. It’s all very fascinating and a lot of fun to listen to.

The Beach Boys 60th Anniversary

For the 60th anniversary, I’ve got a feeling we’ll do shows in several different locations. I’m not sure how many though. We will definitely do a show in Los Angeles … I think that’s on the horizon. I’m not sure, but I think it’s going to be more of a tribute show to The Beach Boys … performed by other acts. I think there’s also consideration of another album. I have a calypso/folk style song called “Islands In The Sun” that I think would fit nicely. We’ll have to wait and see what happens.

©2021 Endless Summer Quarterly/All Rights Reserved

With Mike Meros on Keys, that would no doubt be from the 1993 'Box Set Tour' Paramount Show (quite possibly one of their best ever shows)
The only other time they did 'Feet' live (I believe) was 1971 and again for a few shows in 1975
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: May 16, 2021, 01:22:14 PM »

imagine a nice clean live version of "looking at Tomorrow" like they did in 1983...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upfghY2KK3s

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: May 16, 2021, 01:23:02 PM »

I remember Bruce saying years ago on the now ex Brit Board that he thought the 93 ‘unplugged’ (as he termed it) stuff should be released. Maybe we should thank him for this.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: May 16, 2021, 01:25:59 PM »

I am unironically looking forward to the live Disney Girls from 1982
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3255 on: May 16, 2021, 01:32:22 PM »

I am unironically looking forward to the live Disney Girls from 1982

I saw (and heard, of course) them do this live that year - pretty good performance, IIRC. It's also around on several audience recordings from that summer.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: May 16, 2021, 01:48:35 PM »

I came on this thread like 30 mins ago and like a billion people we're viewing it yet there's no news.

Thought we got a release date

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3257 on: May 17, 2021, 05:40:19 AM »

I came on this thread like 30 mins ago and like a billion people we're viewing it yet there's no news.

Thought we got a release date

If it's allegedly coming out in July they better hurry up and give the thing an official announcement. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3258 on: May 17, 2021, 07:06:44 AM »

Even though it has circulated in pristine quality for years now, the '93 Paramount stuff should get a release, and presenting some of the period-appropriate stuff on "Feel Flows" makes total sense.

The show is about as good as 90s BBs ever got. It's marred a bit by the early 90s cheap-sounding keyboards (no fault of the players; that was just the tech at the time, and nobody wanted to lug around a real piano at that stage I guess), as well as the unfortunate drumming. But the rest of the show, and the setlist, is so good that it overcomes all of that.

As for the Al interview blurb, it's classic Al. Who wants to take bets any new album will for sure *not* include the song he's mentioning (isn't that another title that's been floating around for years if not decades?), and that his idea for 60th projects will end up *not* being what actually happens? Poor Al. I've heard the tentative title for the new Beach Boys album is "Waves of Love 3.0"....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: May 17, 2021, 09:47:02 AM »

Hey Jude, totally agree about Paramount '93. I have a booted version from Pa. and that was a great unplugged set list. Have heard the Paramount shows on You Tube, and the vocals, particularly Al's and Carl's, are spot on...their best concerts of the 90s or 80s for that matter. Never to be able to be duplicated again either with Carl gone, so that should finally be offically released.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3260 on: May 17, 2021, 10:54:47 AM »

A couple of songs from the "Unplugged"-show were released on MIC and the Pet Sounds 40th anniversary set IIRC.

The show is great for the rare songs of course. And the Boys still had a great harmony sound (in no small thanks to Matt Jardine). But over the years I grew less interested in this show. I like the radio broadcasted '93 show in St. Goarshausen, Germany better for example although it doesn't have the rarities. It may be because of the better (imo) mix and the energy, I don't know. Maybe it's also because imo the hype about the Paramount show is too much, as the rarities are not so big in number, it's basically just eight songs. Again, not saying the performances were bad. But it's just not enough imo.
Plus, as someone already said, the cheesy keyboard sounds certainly didn't age well. Unfortunately the use of mostly accoustic instead of electric guitars actually emphasizes the keyboards on the rare songs. The right time for a live album of this material has long since passed. Shortly after Carl's death (let's say around 2000) was probably the last time this would've made sense.
But yeah, to release just a couple of songs as part of a boxset is probably the best way to get this stuff out. Carl's "Caroline, no" is breathtaking, and if "Take a load off your feet" (and possibly "Add some Music ...") will be on "Feel flows" then I'm fine with that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:02:43 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: May 17, 2021, 12:16:04 PM »

There are a couple of Paramount tracks on the box. While we were working on it, Al was extremely impressed with the keys of FEET and was very happy to know that it was Meros.

He really wanted him to get the proper acknowledgement for services rendered. He never remembered hearing anything other than the Red Barn rehearsals of this material -- he was floored that it had been recorded on multis.

Get psyched everybody -- I promise, good things are on the horizon.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: May 17, 2021, 12:42:49 PM »

There are a couple of Paramount tracks on the box. While we were working on it, Al was extremely impressed with the keys of FEET and was very happy to know that it was Meros.

He really wanted him to get the proper acknowledgement for services rendered. He never remembered hearing anything other than the Red Barn rehearsals of this material -- he was floored that it had been recorded on multis.

Yay, awesome - thanks again Howie!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: May 17, 2021, 02:23:13 PM »

As usual, thanks Howie.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: May 17, 2021, 02:47:08 PM »

"On the horizon" doesn't sound like this week 😂

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: May 17, 2021, 10:03:51 PM »

But your grandkids will be able to celebrate the opening week in 2070.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:14:06 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
aingevt
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: May 18, 2021, 06:05:39 AM »

A note from Howie always gets me hyped! I won't allow myself to get too hyped cause the waiting would make me lose it!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3267 on: May 19, 2021, 06:23:28 PM »

Same here!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: May 19, 2021, 09:37:35 PM »

Assuming our info is correct - 64 days to go - that's less than 10 weeks - so an announcement can't be too far away.
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: May 20, 2021, 12:01:33 AM »

It's the place we can't go near... Grin
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: May 20, 2021, 12:25:21 AM »

It's the place we can't go near... Grin

That reminds me of "Dune" (the water of life can only be drunk by men, it's a place where women can't go.)

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: May 20, 2021, 10:24:08 AM »

Assuming our info is correct - 64 days to go - that's less than 10 weeks - so an announcement can't be too far away.

It's ridiculous not to have an announcement yet

alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: May 20, 2021, 11:36:46 AM »

It's ridiculous not to have an announcement yet

Maybe it was postponed to September.
But I still think it will be announced tomorrow or at least next week.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: May 20, 2021, 12:38:05 PM »

Was this situation similar back in '96/'97 when the Pet Sounds Sessions was released?

At least in terms of the prolonged waiting process and uncertainty?

I guess the internet and message boards weren't what they are today, but curious how the current FF state with everyone on the edge of their seats waiting for info compares to a quarter century ago.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3274 on: May 20, 2021, 01:11:22 PM »

Was this situation similar back in '96/'97 when the Pet Sounds Sessions was released?

At least in terms of the prolonged waiting process and uncertainty?

I guess the internet and message boards weren't what they are today, but curious how the current FF state with everyone on the edge of their seats waiting for info compares to a quarter century ago.

I'm not sure of the exact timing, but I recall the main thing about the PS box was that it was known about, and the sampler (which I believe included the full stereo remix plus some bonus tracks) all leaked out the full year or so before the set was released. People knew the thing existed and was pulled from release very late in the game, so I think there was a feeling that it was almost certainly going to come out, it was just a question of when.

I think in those earliest days of the internet, there were still a lot of fans that learned about releases by stumbling across them at stores, or reading about them in music magazines.

I remember the "internet" era for the BBs picking up in 1998, with a lot of discussion about what was going on with the touring band (remember that back in 1998 there was no big announcement; people just noticed Al wasn't showing up at gigs anymore), and also a lot discussion about "Endless Harmony Soundtrack" and what might be on it, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx