gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841748 times)
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3150 on: April 04, 2021, 12:15:49 AM »

I don't care about who mixes and different this and that. All this is that! As a long-time fan - 50 years+ - I'm just happy there is "new" material coming out, legally. Hopefully I'll stay alive, trying to avoid this damn corona, for many years. In the next few years we'll hopefully get to hear more from the best era in the BB history. So stop bashing, stop those silly meaningless discussions, and just be happy there is "new" material coming out at all! I'm happy for every little snippet that comes out. Wishing a Happy Easter to all BB fans and prominent guests of this board!

Whilst I concur that any project that holds a stethoscope up to the Sunflower / Surf's Up era is going to be interesting and worthwhile, to adopt the mentality that we should be happy with what we get is to lay yourself wide open to a good soap-dropping in the prison shower from the forces of capitalism. 

Well, that choice of metaphor is just class all the way . . . hardly likely to be offensive to anyone.

Read it in context.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: April 04, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »

Great metaphor, we can’t just settle for whatever released on a whim. How about a feel flows deluxe edition with Desper’s encoded mix?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: April 04, 2021, 01:07:26 PM »

It is valid to make a point about the exploitative nature of capitalism. But some might find the comparison between what was implied and a relatively trivial musical release somewhat disproportionate and distasteful.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: April 04, 2021, 01:47:29 PM »

It is valid to make a point about the exploitative nature of capitalism. But some might find the comparison between what was implied and a relatively trivial musical release somewhat disproportionate and distasteful.

It was a general point, and not specifically about Feel Flows. It certainly wasn't supposed to be controversial. I won't delete it as it has already been quoted, but apologies to Sam and thetogo for any offense caused. I'll rein in my metaphors in future.  Smiley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: April 04, 2021, 02:37:07 PM »

I wasn't bothered or offended, I was just considering how others might be in light of the previous comment. I know that wasn't obvious from my post.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: April 04, 2021, 02:52:04 PM »

I wasn't bothered or offended, I was just considering how others might be in light of the previous comment. I know that wasn't obvious from my post.

+ 1

I must say that I myself do a fair bit of stirring. Now I feel bad that I made a point of it. I don't take anything too seriously, so don't stress on my account.

For the most part I find it's a pretty good group here and we all understand each other well and no-one sets out to offend anyone.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: April 04, 2021, 02:54:41 PM »

I should also add that only commenting on that sentence does a disservice to what was an interesting post, along with others on the topic (Joshiliyn et al).

I am reminded of a quote I saw many years ago, which was contemporary to the period in which the concert hall acoustics were first imprinted on classical recordings (after the acoustic era perhaps), and where a commentator of the time was questioning the authenticity of such practices. I think it would have been in the Greg Milner book if you have read that.

It would also be interesting to know from Mark L the extent to which they do have the headphone generation in mind when working on this stuff; it is surely unlikely that headphones are anything more than a secondary reference whilst he is doing the work.

petsoundsnola
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: April 05, 2021, 05:24:41 AM »

What I meant was I see a lot of selfishess - I want this, I want that. We could discuss forever till our heads turn blue. Sure, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but in the end, well, we get what we get. And there's nothing we can do about it.

I fully agree that it's sad Desper had no say. Sad news indeed, still nothing we can do anything about.

There's no doubt we get good value for our money. Anything "new" from the BB is welcome, and worth every penny.

It's funny though, w/all boots that have been released, there's hardly been any arguments or discussions. We have accepted them and thanked God we had some ear-pleasing stuff from "our" boys. Audiophiles or not.

I am thankful to have lived in the same period as the BB, and not in the 1700's 1200's or whatever.

Still happy for every little snippet that's released, legal or not, preferably legal. Long live the Beach Boys! They certainly made my life better...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 05:32:21 AM by bsten » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: April 05, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »

Great metaphor, we can’t just settle for whatever released on a whim. How about a feel flows deluxe edition with Desper’s encoded mix?

It's always unfortunate when art and commerce collide, and the sales potential for an eminently worthwhile release are limited to a relatively narrow demographic of hard-cores, so that that research, personnel and packaging expenses become a factor, if that's what happened here. Luckily Alan and Mark are on board to ensure that these obstacles to full fruition are minimized as much as humanly possible, and can provide a more than adequate buffer for any minor technical compromises that may or may not have had to be made here, due to budgetary restrictions.

Too bad the flowering of lavish, nearly unlimited support for new releases that blossomed during the late '60s didn't happen to coincide with archival era (and that Smile couldn't have benefited from the full financial support and treatment from Capitol that was forthcoming at the time if only it had been completed. I can just picture that jewel dropping down onto the heads, eyes and ears of the unsuspecting masses in its contemporary context, both as an object of unparalleled physical and aural loveliness.)

With Regard to Desper (and Carl Wilson)'s visions of sonic perfection for this material, I bow down to their dedication for their craft and pursuit of absolute perfection and beauty. Thank you.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: April 05, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »

Given the increasingly tortured politics in play around the band and its surviving members, we are indeed fortunate to get anything "new" from the band. Given that, it is highly likely that any discussion of the sound technology at the heart of SUNFLOWER and SURF'S UP was simply unable to rise to a sufficient level of scrutiny to warrant what might have been another impasse-producing moment in a project that seems to have had more than its share of them.

But fans can still speak with their pocketbooks on that particular issue if they so choose. Once FEEL FLOWS is released, the various platforms for raising money to fund a project that would permit the needed work to re-implement Steve's technology and bring it out as a separate set on its own could be put into play to provide a framework to bring this to fruition (along the lines of SMiLE BRIAN's suggestion).

What's needed for that is a credible budget estimate for the work necessary to prepare the new mixes, and the associated costs to produce a physical product (CDs, packaging).

Since FEEL FLOWS won't provide a full re-mix of either LP, this strikes me as the way to proceed to preserve what Carl and Steve masterminded back in the day, regardless of what might happen in the future.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: April 05, 2021, 07:09:13 PM »

Speaking of unreleased surround-related material, Van Dyke Parks has revelaed on Twitter that a surround mix of his Song Cycle LP was created, but no one wants to release it.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: April 05, 2021, 09:21:40 PM »

Speaking of unreleased surround-related material, Van Dyke Parks has revelaed on Twitter that a surround mix of his Song Cycle LP was created, but no one wants to release it.

Oh my GOD. I’d kill for that. Where did he say that? Any way we can help? A go fund me?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: April 05, 2021, 11:42:38 PM »

The release date for Feel Flows box set is July 22, 2021"

Maybe he means 2022. July 22, 2022 indeed is a Friday.
Or it could be July 23, 2023. Don't know if that is a Friday, though.
Or it could be July 32, 2525.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: April 06, 2021, 05:17:15 AM »

What I meant was I see a lot of selfishess - I want this, I want that. We could discuss forever till our heads turn blue. Sure, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but in the end, well, we get what we get. And there's nothing we can do about it.

I fully agree that it's sad Desper had no say. Sad news indeed, still nothing we can do anything about.

There's no doubt we get good value for our money. Anything "new" from the BB is welcome, and worth every penny.

It's funny though, w/all boots that have been released, there's hardly been any arguments or discussions. We have accepted them and thanked God we had some ear-pleasing stuff from "our" boys. Audiophiles or not.

I am thankful to have lived in the same period as the BB, and not in the 1700's 1200's or whatever.

Still happy for every little snippet that's released, legal or not, preferably legal. Long live the Beach Boys! They certainly made my life better...

THIS. Given how passionate Howie has sounded about the project over the last year I am completely confident that this will be a set we're all going to be happy with. Sure, I'd love Desper's input (both interviews and on the mixes) - but we didn't get that with this. However, I have total faith in Mark, Alan, Howie, and everyone else who has had a hand in this project. Look at the Smile Sessions, look at MiC. Look at the Wild Honey releases. Sonically we have never been let down by these guys, when it comes to packaging physical boxsets we have been some of the luckiest fans on the planet (I don't think I've seen any boxset come close to the detail that The Smile Sessions had).

bsten, you raise such a great point about how lucky we are as people to even be alive at this point in time - most all of us live 100x better than kings who lived 200 years ago. We are the most fortunate people on the planet yet we seem so discontented with the luxuries we've been blessed to enjoy in this life.

Also, I find it humorous that the people who complain so much about capitalism do so on computers/phones built by child labor with parts that are undeniably killing this planet. If we're going to point out the failings of capitalism there are better places to start than a Beach Boys release that is entirely full of tunes that would only exist in a capitalist society.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: April 06, 2021, 06:37:52 AM »

Also, I find it humorous that the people who complain so much about capitalism do so on computers/phones built by child labor with parts that are undeniably killing this planet. If we're going to point out the failings of capitalism there are better places to start than a Beach Boys release that is entirely full of tunes that would only exist in a capitalist society.

Breath taking hypocrisy is my middle name.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: April 06, 2021, 07:35:16 AM »

Also, I find it humorous that the people who complain so much about capitalism do so on computers/phones built by child labor with parts that are undeniably killing this planet.

https://thenib.com/mister-gotcha/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: April 06, 2021, 06:18:30 PM »

Mine too at times Cheesy. I do also agree with much of your initial post.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: April 07, 2021, 09:51:29 AM »

Mine too at times Cheesy. I do also agree with much of your initial post.

And with my faux pas now forgiven, and a potential thread derailment avoided, its back to business as usual.

Hmmm, I wonder when this set is coming out
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: April 07, 2021, 10:23:53 AM »

Nothing Beach Boys related on any RSD lists this year

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: April 07, 2021, 02:11:56 PM »

Hmmm, I wonder when this set is coming out

Okay - now you're talking. If it was before mid-May we'd probably have some solid info by now.

I was hoping for June which would be early Summer - plus I just want this asap.

The 22 July date, although not a Friday is the best lead we have - just thinking outside the square here for a mo - that date is a Thursday, which if this box was to be released on the Friday morning in New Zealand, Australia  etc. - that would still be Thursday in the U.S. - what do you guys think of that logic?

My money is on 23 July for the time being (until I change my mind . . . again).
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: April 07, 2021, 05:14:23 PM »

Oh my GOD. I’d kill for that. Where did he say that? Any way we can help? A go fund me?
Hell, I’d settled for a reverb-free or semi-dry remix in stereo. There’s a great album in there buried under a wall of sonic muck.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: April 08, 2021, 09:01:00 PM »

Do you have a link? I can’t find it on Twitter.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: April 10, 2021, 01:42:48 PM »

Funny, when I just checked in to see what's happening in this thread I could've sworn I saw a tumbleweed roll across my screen.  Sad
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:44:57 PM by thetojo » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: April 10, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »

Funny, when I just checked in to see what's happening in this thread I could've sworn I saw a tumbleweed roll across my screen.  Sad
Shocked
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: April 11, 2021, 04:13:11 PM »

It'll be raining new desert content shortly.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx