gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:04:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841577 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3000 on: March 01, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »

Regarding Mike, we've known since late last year that everybody is on board for (or at least nobody is blocking) the "Feel Flows" set. I don't think we need a Mike tour title to tell us that.

As far as Mike touring, last year was a pretty strong indication that Mike *will* play gigs during this pandemic in areas where they'll have his show, and under any guidelines (or lack of guidelines in some cases) required.

Mike's touring band publicizing archival Beach Boys product has always been kind of conflicting and weird for a lot of fans. But he's been doing it for ages, so, so be it.

As for discussing the FF set, we're not children. We don't need to lock the thread discussing a high profile archival boxed set. This isn't a "guess the tracklisting!" thread. It's a thread to discuss it, both before and certainly *after* it comes out. To discuss the lobbying for its release, as well as the actual content once we know what's on it. In what world would there be no point in discussing the set once it comes out? That's what the in-depth discussions *start*. In the meantime, if someone can't handle *not* being given a release date or tracklisting *right now*, then you can always skip the thread.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 01:59:40 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: March 01, 2021, 03:05:40 PM »

Mike and co announcing the Feel Flows world tour is the closest thing we've gotten to an official announcement from the band yet. Very promising. I have plans to see the band multiple times this summer, really hoping I can.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: March 01, 2021, 03:57:54 PM »

Thats something I guess.

Press Release would be nice

This is Mike Love advertising a WORLD TOUR for the boxset. It is more than something - it is confirmation that everyone is 100% onboard with the release of this set in 2021. They can't really go back now, so we're getting the set. This is huge news for any doubters and naysayers. Yes a press release would be phenomenal, but this is confirmation that we will be getting a press release soon (it's already March and 2021 is already flying by...before you know it we'll all be dusting off our CD players and cranking up the hi-fi sets, listening to the music and reading the incredible booklet that will accompany this set).

Ever since Howie gave us the good news (and especially since his last update in November) I've been completely confident we'd be seeing this set. I hope that Mike Love announcing a world tour for the set would be just as good news to everyone else.

edit: as1972, thanks for sharing that! This is truly wonderful to hear.

Makes me wonder if Brian will start doing a show or two to promote this set.

Doesn't help getting the word out that the box set is coming to anyone but the hardcores

Not being negative but now would be a great time to get the promotion machine working

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3003 on: March 01, 2021, 05:54:54 PM »

This thread will not be locked.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3004 on: March 01, 2021, 06:54:06 PM »

Agreed

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: March 02, 2021, 05:55:23 AM »

Mike and co announcing the Feel Flows world tour is the closest thing we've gotten to an official announcement from the band yet.

Exactly. This was the point of my previous post. I personally have full confidence this set is coming out and realize that everyone was already on board for set’s release (per Howie’s posts last year). But to those recently doubting this set’s existence and possibility of release, this tour announcement should give everyone 100% confirmation - especially since at least one person was previously doubting the confirmation from Howie in this thread.
_____

Shady, I guess I’m just tired of seeing people being so pessimistic about this release. And to be fair, I’m sure I’ve said some pessimistic things in this very thread so I’m not trying to point fingers. But at this stage, I think we should just be grateful that people in the band are officially acknowledging the set (or the name of the set in an official capacity). Just 6+ months ago we were being told this set’s release wasn’t looking good and it had been shelved. Now Mike Love is announcing a Feel Flows tour. I’m sure soon enough we’ll be getting official word and details about the set itself.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: March 02, 2021, 06:41:32 AM »

"This isn't a "guess the tracklisting!" thread."

of course it can and should be, whimsey, speculation knowledgeable or otherwise, wish lists are a good part of discussion process
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: March 02, 2021, 08:34:04 AM »

"This isn't a "guess the tracklisting!" thread."

of course it can and should be, whimsey, speculation knowledgeable or otherwise, wish lists are a good part of discussion process

I'm looking forward to when it becomes a "see the tracklisting!" thread.

Followed closely by a "salivate over the tracklisting!" thread.

Then a "hear the tracklisting!" thread."

Then a few more hundred pages of discussion before this thread sinks under the screens horizon, gone but not forgotten, much like the Smile box thread.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: March 02, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »

As mentioned in the BB tour thread. Surely not a coincidence unless you have something you want to promote.

https://m.facebook.com/TheAmpSA/photos/gm.909602983136526/10158491002561996/?type=3&source=44
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3009 on: March 02, 2021, 11:39:44 AM »

We'd been told several times since the new year that the box set was on track.

That Mike is touring a Feel Flows tour really adds nothing to what we knew.

IIRC when "Sunshine Tomorrow" came out, Mike&Bruce did their Wild Honey tour, but didn't really play anything from that album apart from "Darlin'" and "Wild Honey". Possibly "Aren't you glad" a couple of times but I may be wrong on that.
So, while I agree that them calling the tour "Feel Flows" is a good sign for the release of the set, I don't necessarily expect Mike&Bruce doing a lot of songs from it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3010 on: March 02, 2021, 02:27:16 PM »

IIRC when "Sunshine Tomorrow" came out, Mike&Bruce did their Wild Honey tour, but didn't really play anything from that album apart from "Darlin'" and "Wild Honey". Possibly "Aren't you glad" a couple of times but I may be wrong on that.
So, while I agree that them calling the tour "Feel Flows" is a good sign for the release of the set, I don't necessarily expect Mike&Bruce doing a lot of songs from it.

Exactly; it seems to be more commonplace for some artists to need to "title" their tours. McCartney does it too, he just picks seemingly random, sometimes awkward sounding tour titles ("Freshen Up Tour"?), whereas it seems like Mike's tour just sometimes grabs a song or album that is celebrating an anniversary, and uses that title. I wouldn't expect Mike to run though like most of the "Surf's Up" album or anything.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: March 02, 2021, 08:40:31 PM »

Absolutely--this is an epic thread that has wandered like a vine relentlessly in search of that lucky old sun, maneuvering around every impediment, hitting hard at the battles that confronted it, throwing off all the roadblocks stumbling it, flipping itself over and turning into unfolding, enveloping missiles of soul! You don't close down a thread like that...you just let it keep rolling, rolling, rolling on...and when all is finally revealed, when we know every nook and cranny of the material, and we've discussed all of its salient details, then we'll just let it take a long, deep breath of that country air...surrounded by the beauty of the everywhere that will be all around us.

And who knows--Mike & Bruce might just play "Don't Go Near the Water," "Disney Girls," "'Til I Die," "Big Sur," and "All I Wanna Do." And then we'll have world peace...

3D
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3012 on: March 03, 2021, 07:57:13 AM »

Well, Mike&Bruce did play "All I wanna do", "Forever" (though with Stamos), "Disney Girle (1957)", and I believe even "Surf's Up" in concert, so who knows. I was just trying to keep the expectations down based on the Wild Honey tour.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: March 03, 2021, 07:58:37 AM »

Well, Mike&Bruce did play "All I wanna do", "Forever" (though with Stamos), "Disney Girle (1957)", and I believe even "Surf's Up" in concert, so who knows. I was just trying to keep the expectations down based on the Wild Honey tour.

I don't believe I've seen a Mike and Bruce Surf's Up (Though the whole touring band did participate in the Fendertones rendition), but 'Til I Die was part of their setlist a while back.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3014 on: March 03, 2021, 08:28:48 AM »

I don't believe I've seen a Mike and Bruce Surf's Up (Though the whole touring band did participate in the Fendertones rendition), but 'Til I Die was part of their setlist a while back.

Yes, I forgot about "'Til I die".
I'm not sure they played "Surf's Up". Maybe I mixed it up with the Fendertones' version. But in my mind I somehow seem to remember them doing that song with Jeff Foskett. Again, I could be wrong about that.

- Jack Rieley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: March 03, 2021, 08:56:24 AM »

I saw them do Surf's Up at the Royal Albert Hall.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: March 03, 2021, 12:55:46 PM »

Great - I come for box set news and read all this malarky about Mike's touring band.

I thought there are other threads to discuss each of the touring groups.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:40:31 PM by thetojo » Logged
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: March 05, 2021, 03:04:30 AM »

What are people's thoughts on the timeframe for this?

This is based solely on wishful thinking, but if this is to be a summer release,  we should hopefully hear an official announcement in April. I'm expecting some nice unboxing promo films similar to what was released during the Smile set announcement. Like Smile, I hope we also get some webisodes, accompanied by a trickle of track teases
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: March 05, 2021, 06:47:16 AM »

Ask Irving Azoff. He's in charge now.
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: March 05, 2021, 07:23:05 AM »

Just trying to get a positive discussion going.  Smiley
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: March 05, 2021, 02:02:10 PM »

Just trying to get a positive discussion going.  Smiley

I'm still hopeful of a May release date, but really June seems a bit more likely.

Given that Mike's Feel Flows tour is in May maybe that points to a May release. I also seem to recall that a May date may have been mentioned a little way back, probably after the Azoff deal was done but before it was publicly announced.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: March 06, 2021, 11:22:16 PM »

Exactly; it seems to be more commonplace for some artists to need to "title" their tours. McCartney does it too, he just picks seemingly random, sometimes awkward sounding tour titles ("Freshen Up Tour"?), whereas it seems like Mike's tour just sometimes grabs a song or album that is celebrating an anniversary, and uses that title. I wouldn't expect Mike to run though like most of the "Surf's Up" album or anything.
I don't know exactly when or where this naming a tour stuff started. I seriously doubt when Bob Dylan/The Band tour in 1974 they were calling it the Before the Flood tour. It just got called that AFTER the live album bearing that name came out.
I saw Paul Revere and the Raiders at the Tacoma Dome back in 1997, and they were selling shirts calling it the Refuse to Go Away Tour. lol
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3022 on: March 07, 2021, 07:29:10 AM »

I don't know exactly when or where this naming a tour stuff started. I seriously doubt when Bob Dylan/The Band tour in 1974 they were calling it the Before the Flood tour. It just got called that AFTER the live album bearing that name came out.
I saw Paul Revere and the Raiders at the Tacoma Dome back in 1997, and they were selling shirts calling it the Refuse to Go Away Tour. lol

The Beach Boys' summer '64 tour was titled the "Summer Safari" tour. Maybe they were the first to name a tour?  Smiley
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3023 on: March 07, 2021, 11:11:09 AM »

Well, Motown did package tour with multiple groups and solo artists called the Motortown Revue starting in the beginning of the ‘60s. Only thing I can think of that compares.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3024 on: March 07, 2021, 11:11:41 AM »

edit: sorry, accidental double post
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:13:01 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx