gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:06:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841657 times)
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2600 on: November 24, 2020, 03:17:39 PM »

Brian was asked about the boxed set on the live Q&A he's doing on Facebook. His response? "Feel Flows I don't know about that"

Translation : all of his cousin's FF-related antics are stressful to even think about, so he'd rather just avoid the question

Translation: Brian didn't want to give more than 3 word answers to any questions.
Translation: That you, Mike? Roll Eyes

Yeah mate, its me Mike Love just hanging around on this message board. I just love hanging out with all you great friendly guys who love and appreciate the music!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: November 24, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »

Can Capital please relax. The fans are doing a better job promoting this thing than they are

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: November 24, 2020, 04:28:27 PM »

Brian was asked about the boxed set on the live Q&A he's doing on Facebook. His response? "Feel Flows I don't know about that"

Brian probably couldn't care less

sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: November 24, 2020, 04:33:45 PM »

Can Capital please relax. The fans are doing a better job promoting this thing than they are
Capitol doesn't have anything to do with that vid being moved. And this is still up: https://web.archive.org/web/20201122125851/https://www.allmusic.com/album/1970-release-mw0003450792?fbclid=IwAR3TNzgjItMq5P_bkni9f15VsqFD6Z24FsRpoqOq8fO-iNhx5l7p-9BRYg8
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: November 24, 2020, 04:43:31 PM »

I guess that's why Brian opened up and gave extensive interviews about the era for the box. Right?

Brian also went hardcore on the '69-'71 era in a way he hasn't anywhere else.
Depending on the day, the dude remembers -- him discussing the genesis "Marcella" was a pinch-me moment.

Yes, Shady. Brian did all that, went deeper than he ever has before, as described by Howie, all for a project he couldn't care less about.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:20:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: November 24, 2020, 05:25:36 PM »

I guess that's why Brian opened up and gave extensive interviews about the era for the box. Right?

Depending on the day, the dude remembers -- him discussing the genesis "Marcella" was a pinch-me moment.

Yes, Shady. Brian did all that, went deeper than he ever has before, as described by Howie, all for a project he couldn't care less about.

You took what I said wrong

I never said Brian wasn't involved in the project or that he didn't care to contribute to it in a meaningful way. I was referencing the delay issues, the release date hold up, the fall out from the box set. Brian contributed, gave the ok and moved on in my opinion. He probably doesn't even know its called Feel Flows and I'm not saying that negatively

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: November 24, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »

You took what I said wrong

I never said Brian wasn't involved in the project or that he didn't care to contribute to it in a meaningful way. I was referencing the delay issues, the release date hold up, the fall out from the box set. Brian contributed, gave the ok and moved on in my opinion. He probably doesn't even know its called Feel Flows and I'm not saying that negatively

Fair enough, sorry if I misunderstood what you're saying.

But even upon that clarification, I still take issue, because to assume that would mean that Brian doesn't care whatsoever that his late brother's material was being jeopardized, and I just don't buy that. On top of that, there was a period where the entire release was totally up in the air if it was going to happen at all. I'm sure Melinda was pissed about Mike being a bratty man-child, and unless she's a robot who is able to just press a button and not let that emotion show at all to her husband, it doesn't make much sense to think Brian doesn't know/care at all.

Especially seeing as he's at home 24/7 these days and isn't on tour with plenty of distractions, I'm sure he has plenty of time to ingest some facts here and there about what's happening. Even accidentally.

I do think it's very possible that Brian has tried very much to stay completely out of the drama involved in this set, and most likely his wife tries to shield him from the stress of it. Maybe Brian is somewhat of an ostrich, but I don't think he is just totally checked out from knowing or caring anything about what's going on.

And if Brian for some reason has chosen to not care or to purposefully remain unaware of what's going on, well once again that choice can be traced back to the ongoing stress and politics that releases by this band always go in tandem with, and the blame for that rests on the shoulders of his cousin.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:54:07 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: November 25, 2020, 08:03:58 AM »

If I were in Brian's shoes I don't think I'd lose much sleep over the box set. I'm convinced he cares deeply about the music itself, but probably not as much about the politics of its repackaging? Of course I might be totally wrong, just guessing/assuming here.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2608 on: November 25, 2020, 08:12:47 AM »

Translation : all of his cousin's FF-related antics are stressful to even think about, so he'd rather just avoid the question

Translation: Brian didn't want to give more than 3 word answers to any questions.

It honestly wouldn't really be that surprising if he really doesn't know anything about the box set.   Thud

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: November 25, 2020, 08:23:58 AM »

In the context that this was a Facebook Q&A that probably dragged Brian away from his usual routine, I completely agree. That being said, I do agree with CD that Brian definitely cares about this music and the legacy of his bothers. So I am very sure that Brian cares about this set, but this was a Facebook Q&A, and Brian is beyond known for giving the most quick and easy answers to this type of questioning.

Brian probably just wanted to see how many pages of speculation would be written up on SS if he said 7 words dismissing the set Grin

It honestly wouldn't really be that surprising if he really doesn't know anything about the box set.   Thud

He knows about the set. And he did in-depth interviews for the liner notes - there is no way he did those interviews without any context of what the interviews were for.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: November 25, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »

I just did another interview for the project with Brian on Friday.
Brian knows all about Feel Flows.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: November 25, 2020, 09:20:29 AM »

He talked down/denied any question about what became the C50 the year before it happened. As it still hasn’t been announced, a denial about FF is probably his best answer and cuts off any further questioning.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: November 25, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »

Well there you go. Awesome.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2613 on: November 25, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »

Maybe that was what caused the problems all along: no one told Brian about it  Grin Grin *onlykidding*

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: November 25, 2020, 10:03:34 AM »

Very cool. Thanks Howie.

Anybody who at this point doesn't understand that Brian will plead ignorance with random fans, or in certain generic interview situations in which he isn't comfortable (Howie excluded) in order to get out of talking about things that could have touchy or political connotations, simply hasn't been paying attention to Brian's nature (albiet inconsistent nature) for decades.

I mean let's face it, Mike did the same thing when he brushed off FF in that interview a few months back. It's preposterous for anybody to think that anyone in the band somehow doesn't know/care what's going on with the box. For the life of me I can't understand how anybody could draw that type of conclusion.

Yes, Brian won't know the name of the pressing plant that the box will get manufactured at. I'm sure there are some details that will escape him because he doesn't care about that type of stuff. But I'm sure he knows plenty, especially if the entire project was jeopardized, there's no way he wasn't aware and didn't/doesn't care about the important stuff.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:06:47 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2615 on: November 25, 2020, 10:34:11 AM »

sh*t, Brian probably meant it as a joke. Wouldn’t surprise me...”interested parties “ view this board . Can’t blame them...we’re interesting people lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: November 25, 2020, 10:52:25 AM »

I was just listening to the basic track of All I Wanna Do on those samples. Does anyone else think the drums on that might be an early drum machine? C-Man, do you know one way or another?

Definitely not; those are real drums. No drum machine could sound like that in 1969. The Rhythm King can be heard on tracks like "Lady", "'Til I Die", and "Big Sur", but is (to my ears) augmented by additional percussion in most cases. The original intro to "Lady" sounds like the raw Rhythm King, for example.

Yeah, it's Hal Blaine on drums and Gene Estes playing a shaker.

A belated thanks for your reply, C-man. Interesting, I don't think I hear a shaker on that basic track, but my ears could be bad. And there are definitely additional drums on the final track. But I agree that such a realistic snare sound was way beyond the capability of any drum machine in 1969.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2617 on: November 25, 2020, 10:56:47 AM »

I was just listening to the basic track of All I Wanna Do on those samples. Does anyone else think the drums on that might be an early drum machine? C-Man, do you know one way or another?

Definitely not; those are real drums. No drum machine could sound like that in 1969. The Rhythm King can be heard on tracks like "Lady", "'Til I Die", and "Big Sur", but is (to my ears) augmented by additional percussion in most cases. The original intro to "Lady" sounds like the raw Rhythm King, for example.

A belated thanks for your reply, C-man. Interesting, I don't think I hear a shaker on that basic track, but my ears could be bad. And there are definitely additional drums on the final track. But I agree that such a realistic snare sound was way beyond the capability of any drum machine in 1969.

I never noticed the shaker in the final mix, either - until I heard the basic tracking session. Now it's quite obvious to me in the final mix! As for extra drums being overdubbed - I think that's the effect of the echo/delay applied to the original drums.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2618 on: November 25, 2020, 11:11:46 AM »

I remember being at a live Q&A with Brian where he said he'd never heard POB before. I think it's kinda cool that whoever is typing for him is writing exactly what he says.

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: November 25, 2020, 11:25:36 AM »

I never noticed the shaker in the final mix, either - until I heard the basic tracking session. Now it's quite obvious to me in the final mix! As for extra drums being overdubbed - I think that's the effect of the echo/delay applied to the original drums.

It's a cabasa twisted manually, like the Heroes and Villains chorus, so you're getting a more mechanical sandpapery texture than something like a maraca. It essentially replaces the hi-hat. There's also a ratchet/noisemaker veeeeeery faintly audible in the final mix on the downbeats! (seconding delay/stereo placement of the drums rather than an overdub)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:13:58 PM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2620 on: November 25, 2020, 01:03:18 PM »

The shaker on "All I Wanna Do" is kinda like the cowbell on "Slip On Through" - the source instrument was not used in a way that is typical, before or since. The cowbell on "Slip On Through" brings to mind the sound of rhythmic crickets or grasshoppers IMO. Which is tbh a genius production move from Dennis, considering the lyrical content ... puts one in mind of the "place" the song inhabits occurring late at night, and also implies the protagonist waiting impatiently for some type of response from the subject of his affections.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:10:23 PM by DonnyL » Logged

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: November 25, 2020, 01:08:38 PM »

... they still didn’t have to “release” all of this for a few seconds?

Depends on which copyright lawyer you ask. I'm beginning to think that lawyers for UMG et al have decided that quiet digital/streaming releases for all of a few seconds qualify for copyright extension; it's just that no one's taken them to court to challenge it. Certainly seems like less of a hassle for the record companies than pressing up 100-500 copies and selling them, like with Dylan.

And even more, how did AllMusic get these samples if they were only briefly up.

Answered here: https://twitter.com/sterlewine/status/1330709405923348480

I’m catching up...but scottythered, thanks for the info and more specifically what I meant is explained below.

... what if this "samples" release *is* the copyright dump release? i.e., only the samples ... which if I understand correctly, would protect the copyrights.

Ding ding ding. That’s making the most sense to me right now.
I've said this elsewhere, but why would they put in effort to include a ton of alternates of released songs from both albums, plus material from 1969 and 1971? Realistically, they only needed to upload 2-3 of these (or maybe 4) in order to protect the copyright.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:29:44 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: November 25, 2020, 02:24:26 PM »

I remember being at a live Q&A with Brian where he said he'd never heard POB before. I think it's kinda cool that whoever is typing for him is writing exactly what he says.
I wouldn't be surprised if Brian typed everything.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: November 25, 2020, 02:35:21 PM »

I’m pretty sure on previous Q&As Brian speaks the answer and someone types it for him. Probably a lot faster that way.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: November 25, 2020, 02:43:54 PM »

I’m pretty sure on previous Q&As Brian speaks the answer and someone types it for him. Probably a lot faster that way.
Yep, that's how they've confirmed they do it. Same thing happened this time around.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx