gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:29:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841782 times)
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2400 on: November 15, 2020, 11:18:59 PM »

I don't wanna be too insensitive to those who may be heartbroken by the news, but that's kinda hilarious and gratifying that Brian and Al weren't even prepared to come to the table re: working with Mike again. I'm glad they've been able to establish healthy boundaries - Brian especially deserves peace and comfort at this point in his life. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: November 16, 2020, 03:54:06 AM »

Brian doesn't need to do another BB reunion. The hit songs and Pet Sounds will be played for many generations to come - that's his legacy and nothing can change that. Also critics and fans will continually (re)discover some of the great lesser-known stuff from after the band's commercial peak. TWGMTR was a fine swan song to their career as recording artists. Despite some weird production choices it still holds up as a good album. That's much more than anyone could have asked for by that point. That said, I wouldn't mind another (last?) Brian album, ideally with Alan handling some of the lead vocals. It's tough to imagine a world with no new music by Brian Wilson.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: November 16, 2020, 03:58:45 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:54:34 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: November 16, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »

I don't wanna be too insensitive to those who may be heartbroken by the news, but that's kinda hilarious and gratifying that Brian and Al weren't even prepared to come to the table re: working with Mike again. I'm glad they've been able to establish healthy boundaries - Brian especially deserves peace and comfort at this point in his life. 

Healthy boundaries is a very good way of putting it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: November 16, 2020, 08:38:23 AM »

The director of the Long Promised Road doc recently confirmed there'll be an official soundtrack including (oddly) a new song written and sung by Brian and Jim James from My Morning Jacket so hey, it's not nothing.

That is super cool news.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: November 16, 2020, 08:52:56 AM »

Realistically, I don't think a 60th anniversary album and tour were ever in the cards.  Too much bad blood, too much rancor, they're all a decade older, etc.

On the other hand, I guess I would like to see them mark the 60th anniversary in some manner.  Let's face it.  If there is ever be a "last hurrah," the 60th is it.   They'd all around  ~90 for the 70th, so rule that out.

Ideally, I'd like to see them do a handful of "last call" shows somewhere around L.A. where it all began.  Book the Hollywood Bowl (or even the Hawthorne High auditorium), run through the greatest hits and a few rarities and call it a night.  I'd attend.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2406 on: November 16, 2020, 10:15:46 AM »

In the meantime, Elton John ... and there's an Elvis Presley box set of his June 1970 Nashville sessions coming out Nov. 20. So there certainly seems to be a market for box sets nowadays.

And I can’t wait for From Elvis in Nashville too. Been promoting both that and Feel Flows for at least a month or so whenever I can.

And it seems to be going to be great judging from the previews we have (check the Elvis-thread in the "General Music" section of this board).

Was the offer for a new 60th anniversary album part of the 50th anniversary offering? I remember that Capitol offered them a deal for another album when they saw how successful the reunion tour and album were. Maybe when the reunion ended and it was clear that no new album was going to be made (putting aside the live CD) they said "It's not off the table. Come back for the 60th anniversary".
Anyway, I sometimes wonder if Mike's new recordings and output are partly meant to show Brian that he - Mike - can get things done and still write songs. Unfortunately, I've said that before, in that sense Mike's exhibits are mostly not that good. Many of his contributions to TWGMTR weren't up to par with the material. Although I really like "Daybreak over the ocean"; I wish the BBs would've had re-recorded it from scratch, though. The addition of their voices (especially Al's; "bring back my baby") takes this one to another level.

I guess TWGMTR is a fitting last album by this musical legend. But I can't help but wonder how some of the songs Brian came up with after 2012 and released on NPP like "The right time", "Tell me why" and others would've sounded with the complete surviving Beach Boys. Especially those two songs I mentioned are so great with the latter one blowing my mind to this day.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: November 16, 2020, 12:22:05 PM »

Didn't Al mention in a number of interviews, pre-covid, that there were going to be reunion shows?
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: November 16, 2020, 12:39:55 PM »

Brian doesn't need to do another BB reunion. The hit songs and Pet Sounds will be played for many generations to come - that's his legacy and nothing can change that.

I think that's the essence of it - no new Brian/Beach Boys song could ever be as important as what he's already done decades ago. Now the same is true for someone like McCartney, but the difference is he'll probably never stop writing and recording cos it still comes so easily to him, and he doesn't care so much whether he has a hit. For Brian the self-pressure is still there, and he's on record as saying he struggles to write these days.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:40:46 PM by Tom » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2409 on: November 16, 2020, 01:11:35 PM »

Reports on Endless Harmony that there was an offer for a 60th anniversary album.
I asked, was Brian and Al’s refusal related to the circular firing squad episode that then held up  Feels Flows.

I have little doubt that Brian and Al considered the stress of dealing with a bandmate with narcissistic personality disorder, and decided against it. Who needs that kind of stress when pushing 80? Not them.

Mike has burned all of his bridges.

Here is the quote from EH, written by SaltyMarshmallow, if anyone is interested:

I guess the implication was lost on the last page, but apparently I have the green light to say it now: according to a reliable source (someone who works at Capitol), the group were approached about doing another reunion album earlier this year. Brian and Al both flat-out said no.

And I agree, CD. I think TWGMTR is a perfect send off from the band, and Brian had already wanted to do a follow-up album years ago which was refused by Mike due to the “writing alone in a room with Brian” thing (I think).

Would any of you want to be alone in a room with a guy who berates your wife and talks sh*t about your mental health to the press? *edit, I think many wouldn’t mind using the room as a UFC cage for a while, but in Brian’s case, I think he just wants to be free of Mike for good.

Speaking directly to the comment about a 60th anniversary album, how does that relate to the Feel Flows box set at all? The only way it would is if Mike was using the release of this box set that has *nothing to do with* a 60th anniversary reunion plan as a bargaining chip or some other use of the box set to piggyback onto something he had in mind for a 60th anniversary project of some kind.

And in that case, it's exactly what fans here were calling out back in August after Donny L posted audio of an interview Mike had given related to the 60th anniversary and what may be in the works. Here is exactly what Mike said in August for those keeping track:

Transcript of the interview segment:

Darren Paltrowitz:
"The last time I interviewed you was two to three years ago, and during that interview you got a phone call from Jeffrey Foskett who had just discovered some kind of an archival release that you were thinking of putting out, and one thing that we haven't discussed is how many great archival releases from you and from The Beach Boys in the last three or four years. Is there lots and lots more in the vault that we can one day hope to hear?"

Mike Love:
"Well I don't know how much there is in the vault, but I'd, I'll tell you this, we're coming up on probably the 60th anniversary of the group in another year or so, and that warrants something special that's for sure, and so, um, I've got some ideas on that but we're too early to talk about it. But um, uh, I think there will be opportunities to come up with compilations and and as you say archival but also new renditions with other artists and stuff of many of our songs and that, that'll be a lot of fun to do. And I think I'm looking forward to what the future may bring."

So I'd say information being passed around about 60th anniversary albums has more to do with those specific issues than it does with this box set which obviously marks the 50th anniversaries of Sunflower and Surf's Up in 2020 and 2021. If it does relate directly to the holdup of the Feel Flows box, than it can be said the fans speculating (oh, the horror!) that Mike was holding up the set to use as leverage for projects he wanted to do were correct all along. And all that's on the record are the words of Mike describing new renditions of the band's classics with other artists and other compilations which he has ideas on "but we're too early to talk about it" as of August.

Sometimes information like this being passed around requires context. In this case, if there was a connection between Feel Flows and what Mike told an interviewer about 60th anniversary plans he had in the works, the fans who connected the two back in August were right.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: November 16, 2020, 01:23:48 PM »

Unless a ‘final song’ can top ‘Summers Gone’,I’m just not interested. I stumbled on the 2012 C50 London version a few days ago and seeing Brian playing it smiling, missed lyrics and all, just can’t be topped.

https://youtu.be/qQigc-3xIbk

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: November 16, 2020, 01:37:07 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:54:10 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2412 on: November 16, 2020, 02:58:32 PM »

Any theoretical "60th Anniversary" plans, real or imagined, were/are not an issue impacting the previous ongoing delays with the "Feel Flows" set.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: November 16, 2020, 07:33:00 PM »

Unless a ‘final song’ can top ‘Summers Gone’,I’m just not interested. I stumbled on the 2012 C50 London version a few days ago and seeing Brian playing it smiling, missed lyrics and all, just can’t be topped.

That moment when Brian closes his eyes in sublime bliss is beautiful.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: November 16, 2020, 11:27:48 PM »

Wow, I uploaded that just over 8 years ago? It was quite a trip to watch that again - thanks for reminding me!

As for FF, I hope we hear any more info shortly.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: November 17, 2020, 12:05:20 AM »

I can't see the point of the guys doing a 60th anniversary album if Brian isn't writing anymore. Al? He's never been a prolific songwriter. Mike, of course, is doing a lot of recording these days, but I doubt Brian and Al would be excited about a reunion album that is 90% Mike Love - "we did that already, it was called Summer in Paradise, and it sucks".
The only thing I would be interested in hearing from them now is if they found a rare Dennis or Carl song, and added new vocals to it.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: November 17, 2020, 06:21:19 AM »

The idea of any 60th anniversary possibilities should probably be in a separate thread, but I’m too lazy today to do that.  In any case, what I’d find enjoyable would be an album of Brian, Al, Blondie and their band doing a kind of “Party” album, kind of like the campfire scenes done in the ‘80’s.  Very informal, only semi-rehearsed.  Maybe have them each pick several songs they love that they haven’t done before,rehearse them only briefly, then just wing it.  I think of that fairly recent clip of Brian playing “This Could Be the Night” for Al.  No auto tune.  Mistakes and laughing left in.  I would love it!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: November 17, 2020, 08:28:19 AM »

People going on about a 60th anniversary album and I’m just sitting here waiting for the release of Pleasure Island 30 years after it was announced...

Free Pleasure Island!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: November 17, 2020, 10:21:56 AM »

Pleasure Island and the Rock & Roll album as a twofer!!!
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: November 17, 2020, 05:52:29 PM »

That moment when Brian closes his eyes in sublime bliss is beautiful.

Pretty Funky.....THANK YOU big time for the link and your description.  You NAILED it !!!    My favorite post 70's Brian song

Joel G....you are so RIGHT ON with the Brian description....What a perfect way to say goodbye to the 2020 summer and the 97 pages of FF sh*tshow.   Not sure where the parties/principals go from here as it seems Brian and Al drew a line in the sand regarding the 60 yr album offer.  Probably back to the boring Branded BB's in 2021 and for all of us wanting just one more of something before this all ends after we get FF.

Lastly thank you to Hey Jude, Jon, and Howie along with any others in the know offering input over the past five months.  Long thread....yes    frustrating thread.....yes      But I'm damn glad I read every post of every page as it will hopefully make the final product of FF offering something we all love and appreciate

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: November 18, 2020, 06:09:16 AM »

People going on about a 60th anniversary album and I’m just sitting here waiting for the release of Pleasure Island 30 years after it was announced...

Free Pleasure Island!

Right on!

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: November 18, 2020, 11:41:19 AM »

Listened to our 1969 EP again today. I hope all this sort of material is still included in the box set - these aren’t bits that should just be on a random CE set when the box set exists.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: November 18, 2020, 12:21:13 PM »

The only thing I would be interested in hearing from them now is if they found a rare Dennis or Carl song, and added new vocals to it.

Well we got Waves Of Love. Nice song, but it's no Free As A Bird or Real Love. Honestly, I'd rather hear an original incomplete scratch vocal from Dennis than one of his songs completed now by the others.

I just don't think that this would work too well. If they finished say I've Got A Friend - it's Dennis' work - it's not really anyone else's. It would end up being like Holy Man - without Dennis on vocals, it lacks something. (Grittiness?)

I suppose there might be 5 or 6 songs that could be completed, but would it be worth the trouble?  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:25:13 PM by thetojo » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: November 18, 2020, 07:38:14 PM »

Well we got Waves Of Love. Nice song, but it's no Free As A Bird or Real Love. Honestly, I'd rather hear an original incomplete scratch vocal from Dennis than one of his songs completed now by the others.

I just don't think that this would work too well. If they finished say I've Got A Friend - it's Dennis' work - it's not really anyone else's. It would end up being like Holy Man - without Dennis on vocals, it lacks something. (Grittiness?)

I suppose there might be 5 or 6 songs that could be completed, but would it be worth the trouble?  
I like Waves of Love a lot. I might be the only one. One of my favorite songs on Al's album/cd/download.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: November 19, 2020, 03:12:06 AM »

Dennis' voice was definitely a key ingredient in preventing some of his more sentimental songs from becoming cloying. He was completely soulful and edgy every time he opened his mouth to sing. Like what Jim Morrison tried to do, but much more effortless and real.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx