gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:56:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 842116 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1900 on: October 07, 2020, 08:33:11 AM »

I liked "TheTojo's" dream about a Beach Boy-less group touring under the Beach Boys name.  It could well be the case.

In the same vein, maybe Mike is finally tired of paying Brian, Alan, and Carl's estate a licensing fee whenever he tours as The Beach Boys?  Perhaps he's trying to get that fee reduced or cancelled?

Both scenarios certainly fit the mold of not having anything to do with the box set, but being a legitimate concern that someone, (that being Mike,) would like changed.

Love and merci,

Dan Lega

There's nothing going on regarding touring licensing fees. Those fees have been the thing keeping that ship going for 22 years now.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1901 on: October 07, 2020, 08:46:08 AM »

I'd suggest that those who are directly engaging with social media outlets take an approach that references these scenarios in what they post; something on the order of "Can you please confirm the information trickling out that strongly suggests that FEEL FLOWS is being held hostage to some other set of internal issues that have nothing to do with the music itself? Making this situation clear to the public is one of the best ways to apply pressure to those who've made FEEL FLOWS into "only a pawn in the(ir) game."

I get that we're all frustrated by the wait. I want to hold this set in my own hands as much as anyone else here, but this suggestion above is the wrong way to approach the release dilemma. Pushing the artists to respond to fan rumors will only make them less willing to move on FF. We need to let them know there's an audience that's beyond eager for this product -- in a positive manner. Convince them how much we want to hear it.

I don't know that I'd word such things precisely the way they are referenced above, but generally speaking I don't think the above suggestion to politely ask that question on social media (both directly and sort of rhetorically on one's own social media platforms) is out of line.

The point isn't to throw random "fan rumors" at band members. Rather, it's about taking some key information we're being told by reputable, reliable sources and pitching it back to the band members not only to try to get some answers, but also to *let those band members know* that fans now know something is up. We need them to know that we know. Trust me, they know now that we know, and they know these aren't "fan rumors."

Obviously, this thread has also had a ton of incorrect guesses and rumors, and if people are pitching *that* stuff directly to band members, that wouldn't be as productive I suppose (though they'd have to then realize that the genesis of even incorrect rumor is the *correct* reports that this set is being stalled).

I obviously can't speak to guessing how a given band member might react to fans asking them these type of questions. But if a polite "so what's up with this boxed set?" type of posts would somehow make any band members, presumably out of spite, then *less likely* to greenlight such a set, well then we're all kinda already screwed then, because if this band is not only clueless as to their fan base but also actively disdainful of it to the point of spitefully canceling releases, then there's nothing left to do with these guys and nothing left to say. At that point they won't deserve fans.

Thankfully, I know at least some members/shareholders *don't* operate like that.

What's going on behind the scenes is such that I don't think a hand full of fans asking about the set is going to endanger the set. Polite, but firm posts asking about the set will, again, let them know that we know. The point is to help them figure out releasing the set is a win-win-win for everybody.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: October 07, 2020, 09:49:55 AM »

If they really know now that we know, it’s a great thing.
But if they know, why they can’t give the green light to release it?
Why they still act like they don’t know that we as fans want it so much?
I hope after some comments in every post they did since the news about this situation might help them to finally release it.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1903 on: October 07, 2020, 10:35:03 AM »

To those ITK: Would fans knowing the reason why the set is blocked actually hinder it from ever being realised?

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: October 07, 2020, 12:15:55 PM »

The only wrong thing that anyone can do in a public setting would be to point fingers, even if we are 95+% certain who is the instigator of this situation. (Note: SS and other boards are only semi-public settings, since no band members participate directly except in the rarest of cases.)

Here's a question: many folks from other BB and BB-related boards have followed up by signing the petition and/or placing notes on social media? If a sizable portion of the folks who spend a good bit of their time with the BB's music aren't willing to do even that, then they are failing to follow Emdeeh's suggested strategy. It would be akin to  American fans not voting in the upcoming election.

Having chosen to cut ties with those folk who left SS, I am 100% the wrong person to answer such a question, but several folks here could probably come up with a credible estimate on the percentage of "passive" fans. Heck, we really don't know if we've manage to maximize the petition participation from those who post and lurk on SS...

In the light of all that,  those folks who are ultra-passionate about this situation should press further, but within prescribed limits of respect and decorum. That should not preclude making it clear, as Jude says, that we know now that "something strange is up" regarding this release being caught in an odd kind of crossfire. Urging the band to resolve this matter so that the release can proceed as planned is not stepping over any line--it's a good bit less interventionist than suggesting the track listing be leaked. Assuming that Jude's description is accurate, such a revelation would not address the actual issue that's responsible for the hold-up.

That said, I still think the track listing should be leaked, because it will galvanize a sub-set of fans who've be reluctant to engage with the situation. Once they see exactly what is at stake, they'll be more inclined to jump in.

FREE FEEL FLOWS!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: October 07, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »

I might know something. I don't know if it's connected to the Feel Flows hold up, but I know of something recent in Beach Boy World that isn't directly related all to the box set but would certainly fit the problem slot, on the basis that the reason is another issue entirely that would make you go "huh?" trying to join the dots.

If it is what I think it is, a flimsy excuse to not release anything new until the thing gets resolved is the only way I can reconcile it. But it might not be what I think it is.
Something recent in Beach Boy World? Yeah, i might know what that is, too.

Then again, I might not. But if I don't know it, I sure hope someone does. Or maybe someone else thinks that they know - but in reality, they don't. And the ones who know that they know are keeping quiet. Problem is, even the ones who know that they know probably don't know.
Am I being clear? For, to examine the non-release of the FF box requires tremendous energy and discipline.
But then why should anyone listen to me, or should I speak, since I know nothing.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: October 07, 2020, 06:17:25 PM »

Is this occurrence a matter of public record? If not, is there any reason it shouldn't be discussed publicly?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: October 07, 2020, 08:40:18 PM »

This box set really could have been the one shining light in this otherwise god awful year
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:41:16 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: October 08, 2020, 06:54:55 AM »

This box set really could have been the one shining light in this otherwise god awful year

It would be great if the band could read a comment like this and finally would give the green light to release the box set.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: October 08, 2020, 08:06:20 AM »

"Am I being clear? For, to examine the non-release of the FF box requires tremendous energy and discipline.
But then why should anyone listen to me, or should I speak, since I know nothing."

….somebody's seen Head at least as many times as I

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: October 08, 2020, 09:06:26 AM »

If FEEL FLOWS manages to be released on Carl's birthday, it will be for BB fans a lot like what Apollo 8 was for those who lived through 1968--a moment of healing that helped make it possible to keep "Goin' On." Hope springs eternal for a better world, and it would be a better world with this box set available for all to enjoy.

Not to tell Joel G. what to write in his updates...  Smokin ...but finding a way to convey that emotion--the special essence that sets BBs music apart from everyone else--is something that might connect in that way, particularly if people will post it all over social media.

We really have to try everything we can think of in order to help move the needle on this, folks...

FREE FEEL FLOWS!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: October 08, 2020, 10:06:40 AM »

If FEEL FLOWS manages to be released on Carl's birthday, it will be for BB fans a lot like what Apollo 8 was for those who lived through 1968--a moment of healing that helped make it possible to keep "Goin' On." Hope springs eternal for a better world, and it would be a better world with this box set available for all to enjoy.

Not to tell Joel G. what to write in his updates...  Smokin ...but finding a way to convey that emotion--the special essence that sets BBs music apart from everyone else--is something that might connect in that way, particularly if people will post it all over social media.

We really have to try everything we can think of in order to help move the needle on this, folks...

FREE FEEL FLOWS!

I started following FreeFeelFlows on Twitter.  It keeps posting live versions of songs from this era and has directly asked the question about the Feel Flows box set to the Beach Boys Twitter accounts.  I doubt many of the guys actually run their own accounts though, so who knows if they even see stuff like that.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: October 08, 2020, 01:42:08 PM »

Stamos just replied to FreeFeelFlows on twitter:

https://twitter.com/JohnStamos/status/1314302473104842753
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: October 08, 2020, 01:49:34 PM »

Does this mean John's onboard with us? A hopeful note...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:54:07 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 08, 2020, 01:51:29 PM »

Well I'll be the Monkey's Uncle Jesse.

Holy. Crap.

Did Stamos actually just save the day for FF?! Not that his response points a finger as far as why a blockade would be lifted, but still that is fantastic.

For those who haven't clicked the Twitter link, Stamos said "soon-ish" in response to when FF was gonna be released.

This means of course that without a doubt he was previously aware of the box and its existence. Which makes sense considering what a fan he is of Dennis's music from that era. We knew he had/has Mike's ear. Stamos is a superfan, so he is in the best position to help grease the wheels, IMO.

The first bit of good news in a good long while.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:58:44 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1915 on: October 08, 2020, 01:58:27 PM »

To be clear, it's unclear what Stamos is referring to when he says "soon-ish." He may be saying he's going to ask Mike about it "soon-ish", as that's part of the question he was responding to. It appears Stamos is doing two of those drive-in concerts with Mike later this month, so I'm wondering if Stamos is saying he'll soon be asking Mike about it.

But let's hope this helps shake something loose.....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:00:16 PM by HeyJude » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 08, 2020, 02:00:37 PM »

To be clear, it's unclear what Stamos is referring to when he says "soon-ish." He may be saying he's going to ask Mike about it "soon-ish", as that's part of the questions he was responding to.

This is true. But at least at the minimum it would seem to indicate that Stamos could help move this along in a positive direction, if it isn't already moving that way already. We shall see. Wow.

As I said earlier, John Stamos could be the hero in this situation if he wanted to be. And if this band and its legacy means as much to him as I tend to think it does, there's no decent reason why he wouldn't throw his efforts behind it.
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: October 08, 2020, 02:32:01 PM »

This is literally the closest we've come to good news regarding this set in months. I am quietly holding hope for more good word.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1918 on: October 08, 2020, 02:39:59 PM »

To be clear, it's unclear what Stamos is referring to when he says "soon-ish." He may be saying he's going to ask Mike about it "soon-ish", as that's part of the question he was responding to. It appears Stamos is doing two of those drive-in concerts with Mike later this month, so I'm wondering if Stamos is saying he'll soon be asking Mike about it.

That’s how I read it as too

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: October 08, 2020, 03:52:03 PM »

OK that is somthing I guess

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1920 on: October 08, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »

i would love to see how BB Fandom reacts to John Stamos being the the driving force of getting Feel Flows released. :D

JaiGuruDev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: October 08, 2020, 04:56:30 PM »

Smiley Smile Forums: Mr. Capitol?

Capitol Records: I am extraordinarily busy, Smiley.

Smiley Smile Forums: I just wanted to ask about the Feel Flows set, the 50th Anniversary boxset for the Beach Boys. When do we get it?

Capitol Records: You don't

Smiley Smile Forums: Why not?

Capitol Records: We're only releasing 3 tracks.

Smiley Smile Forums: What 3 tracks? You have to release all the songs, right guys?

Capitol Records: Wrong, sir! WRONG! Under the US Copyright Act signed in 1976, it states quite clearly that all copyright won't expire IF - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy! - "Copyright in sound recordings and television broadcasts is not calculated with reference to the life of an author. " et cetera, et cetera..."Copyright in sound recordings expires 50 years from the end of the year in which the recording was made UNLESS THE RECORDING IS PUBLISHED DURING THAT 50 YEAR PERIOD!! It's ALL there! Black and white, clear as crystal! You PIRATED Beach Boys songs! You UPLOADED them to Youtube, which now has to be claimed and shut down, so you get... NOTHING!!! YOU LOSE!! GOOD DAY, SIR!!!

Smiley Smile Forums: You're a crook. You're a liar and swindler! That's what you are! How can you do a thing like this?! Music that will change the way the Beach Boys are viewed as a musical entity, and then you smash  all our hopes to pieces?! YOU'RE AN INHUMAN MONSTER!!

Capitol Records: I SAID "GOOD DAY!!!"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: October 08, 2020, 04:57:54 PM »

Cool
i would love to see how BB Fandom reacts to John Stamos being the the driving force of getting Feel Flows released. :D

While Stamos has plenty of detractors, and while I personally think it's silly and beneath the band to keep trotting him out endlessly and promoting him on stage more than other things, I personally have no problem with the guy as a dude, and he seems like a decent enough fellow who just happened to get lucky by being in the right place and the right time, and also being persistent with his fandom in the mid-1980s, helping give the band a shot in the arm purely in terms of getting the name out there during a time which they were in a slump when it came to fame.

If he helps move this release along, then more power to him, and he would be worthy of everybody's respect for making any sort of effort, especially if the effort pays off.

IMHO it would put them up there, a few notches below folks like Darian, on a list of those who helped make a big impact on the legacy of this band, should Stamos be a factor in this set getting out.

Stamos is a total anomaly, and maybe he serves a roll a bit like David Marks, where he can to some degree freely move between the Wilson/Love camps. Not that he's some massively "beloved" figure in the Brian Wilson camp I wouldn't think, yet he's probably the biggest outright fanboy of Dennis Wilson that exists in the world of people who are important to Mike Love. So in that sense, he seems like he helps bridge the deep deep fractures within this band just a little bit. Maybe more than a little bit.

But to answer your question on the whole, I think he remains a joke to a lot of people and I think lots of fans would just roll eyes at him once more. But they might grudgingly thank the guy anyway.

John Stamos does not strike me as a big egotistical guy, so I'm not sure that he's seeking adulation and respect from legions of fans of this band, yet perhaps it might not be a bad idea for him to think about how much more respect he would get across-the-board if he helped move this along. He would literally be a hero. Yet even if that were to happen I somehow doubt the details of that would ever come to light. So he would have to do it mainly for feeling it's the right thing to do, not to mention the fact that I'm sure he'd love to listen to those FF tracks himself.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:22:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: October 08, 2020, 05:52:30 PM »

Before Stamos came in to save the day (I read it as the set is coming out soon-ish), this thread had reached peak ridiculousness.

"I know something, and it could be very important but I can't say what it is. Why am I posting this? What is the purpose of this post? Well, it's nothing else than to tell you that I know something and you don't, and that I'm very important and can't tell you."

Folks, there's no point in telling people that you know something if you can't tell them what it is.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: October 08, 2020, 06:00:07 PM »

Before Stamos came in to save the day (I read it as the set is coming out soon-ish), this thread had reached peak ridiculousness.

"I know something, and it could be very important but I can't say what it is. Why am I posting this? What is the purpose of this post? Well, it's nothing else than to tell you that I know something and you don't, and that I'm very important and can't tell you."

Folks, there's no point in telling people that you know something if you can't tell them what it is.

Nobody was insinuating that they were important for having insider information. Not in the slightest. Whatsoever.  

We should be grateful for someone to do what they could to steer us away from ideas that were apparently incorrect assumptions and hypotheses. Just because somebody is sworn to secrecy about what the answer is, doesn't mean they can't respectfully comment on what the answer isn't. Swearing not to divulge what the answer isn't was probably not part of the deal when they learned what the answer was. Do you literally think anybody in this thread was motivated by any reason other than just wanting to help?

It's an incredibly frustrating situation of course, but nobody should hold anything against those who are literally just trying to help in the limited way they can. I'm sure those with inside information would LIKE to comment and state exactly what the issue is, but it's not as simple as that.

Better to know what the reasons *aren't* than to not know one iota or tiny morsel of information one way or another.  Yet somehow you're disputing this. Gaining more knowledge - including knowing what is NOT causing the FF block - helps, even a little. And it's brainstorming in this very thread that led people to abandon focusing on confirmed non-issues, and fortunately that also led to the Twitter tagging of Stamos, which has led us to a hint of hope.

Was there also no point in Al talking about the set way back when since he didn't divulge every single piece of info on the set and tracklisting that he knew at the time? Let's pile on Al too, while we're at it.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:51:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx