gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:28:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841781 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1750 on: September 27, 2020, 12:36:18 AM »

Be that as it may, grateful as f*** that you’re there battling for the Beach Boys’ legacy, even with all the roadblocks.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: September 27, 2020, 12:58:08 AM »

Be that as it may, grateful as f*** that you’re there battling for the Beach Boys’ legacy, even with all the roadblocks.

+1
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: September 27, 2020, 03:12:26 AM »

Just saying, if this set winds up on a USB stick given to me in an alleyway, I'll PayPal you the asking price Howie and you can split it among the deserving parties.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1753 on: September 27, 2020, 03:42:44 AM »

The amount of unreleased and alternate material assembled is major -- beautiful work from ALL members of the group. Everyone shines on this thing. It's Abbey Road-Beach Boys -- and would ABSOLUTELY be lauded for being just that.

The current assembly features a good 25 minutes of Dennis Wilson's POOPS/HUBBA HUBBA material -- to lose that would truly be a sin (and, obviously, a colossal sales deterrent.)
I know from my liners alone -- drawing from both new interviews and others culled from chats with the band on this material over the past 15 years -- the story of this era breathes new life into the brand.

Knowing from you all what EVERYBODY wants from this collection -- I really can't see how this set could be improved, if altered.

Thanks for your input, Howie!
I may read too much into this, but are you implying that it is the Dennis material that is the course cause of the holdup (i. e. someone not wanting it on the release)?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:28:06 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: September 27, 2020, 05:53:10 AM »

The amount of unreleased and alternate material assembled is major -- beautiful work from ALL members of the group. Everyone shines on this thing. It's Abbey Road-Beach Boys -- and would ABSOLUTELY be lauded for being just that.

The current assembly features a good 25 minutes of Dennis Wilson's POOPS/HUBBA HUBBA material -- to lose that would truly be a sin (and, obviously, a colossal sales deterrent.)
I know from my liners alone -- drawing from both new interviews and others culled from chats with the band on this material over the past 15 years -- the story of this era breathes new life into the brand.

Knowing from you all what EVERYBODY wants from this collection -- I really can't see how this set could be improved, if altered.

Man that's a killer - I'd pay stupid amounts of money to hear that unheard Dennis material. Let's hope things get sorted out. It'll be a true insult to his memory as an artist if this material stays in the vault because of some petty conflict 50 years down the line (and nearly 30 years after his passing).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 05:55:27 AM by Tom » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: September 27, 2020, 06:35:24 AM »

Thanks for your input, Howie!
I may read too much into this, but are you implying that it is the Dennis material that is the course of the holdup (i. e. someone not wanting it on the release)?

I, for one, would never underestimate the lengths that those who are petty and jealous would do in order to preserve their egos.

Turns out Mike's used car salesman history revisionism (or if you are to believe it, perhaps simply the innocent ignorant historical revisionism by his record label) wasn't just wrong by four years, it was wrong by a *decade*. Never forget:

Good thing those stickers didn't last long, because there were more important stickers that soon took precedence:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:38:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: September 27, 2020, 06:41:14 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:42:59 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1757 on: September 27, 2020, 06:57:10 AM »

I'm sure Mike personally handled the sticking of promotional stickers onto his solo album

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: September 27, 2020, 06:57:24 AM »

Just to be clear, the holdup over this box set is NOT "because of the Dennis Wilson material."

That is NOT why the project isn't out.

That said, the killer sh*t that a) you really want and b) will solidify sales, and garner the band major serious press for this era (barring a fetish fanzine) could very well be lost.

I mentioned the POOPS/HUBBA HUBBA material to underscore the brilliance and span of ALL the band on this set.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:30:39 AM by Howie Edelson » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1759 on: September 27, 2020, 07:04:28 AM »

Just to me clear, the holdup over this box set is NOT "because of the Dennis Wilson material."

That said, the killer sh*t that a) you really want and b) will solidify sales, and garner the band major serious press for this era (barring a fetish fanzine) could very well be lost.

I mentioned the POOPS/HUBBA HUBBA material to underscore the brilliance and span of ALL the band on this set.

Is there much Bruce stuff?

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: September 27, 2020, 07:13:25 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:42:50 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: September 27, 2020, 07:23:28 AM »

Just to me clear, the holdup over this box set is NOT "because of the Dennis Wilson material."

Thank you, Howie!
There’s a possibility that the box set could be released this year?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: September 27, 2020, 07:35:50 AM »

Given recent rumblings, I get the sense we are reaching make or break behind the scenes. Not surprising I guess now we are approaching the final quarter of the year.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: September 27, 2020, 08:36:28 AM »

I am very glad to hear that the reason is not the inclusion of DW material.  At least that strips away one layer of possible petty behavior.  Really hope that it comes out.  If anyone out there knows any other avenue by which we can, as fans, nudge this along, please let us know.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: September 27, 2020, 08:38:52 AM »

What Howie is communicating is that the set which has been meticulously curated by the right people is in danger of being revamped by what are potentially the "wrong people" (my words not his), and the Dennis Wilson material is a great example of what could be lost should this revamp occur. By sharing that the DW "solo" material is indeed included in the submitted version of the set he's revealing how truly comprehensive it would be if left as is. The alarm is that it may not be left as is.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: September 27, 2020, 08:54:53 AM »

That would be a tremendous shame, and of course so frustrating when they had it in mind to get it right the first time.

In this case I suppose the “revamped” version would still be somewhat worthwhile. The question is what would happen to this Dennis material and similar. Would it find its way out on a grey label release or locked away in the vault forever?

How much damage could the “wrong people” do to material from this era?

Great to hear from Jon and Howie this Sunday, albeit concerning. How anyone can question the past records and judgement of Alan Boyd, Mark L, Howie and Jon (not sure the level of involvement from Jon on this particular set) is be strange to me at least.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: September 27, 2020, 08:57:34 AM »

That is distressing news indeed. What possible reason could any person in power have for wanting to revamp a set to strip it of some of its best material, most especially the great DW music like that, unless they feel somehow some material falls too closely into the category of a "solo" thing and not enough of a "BBs" thing. Misguided nonsense about "branding".

The amount of grief that another Wilson brother, Brian, had to endure for Pet Sounds being too much of a "solo" project makes me sick, and of course look how that album - which very fortunately stayed on track - became far and away the most lauded and famous music in the entire catalog.

More people will spend their hard-earned pandemic dollars on this set if it includes the DW material. Period. One would have to be delusional to think otherwise.

I hope some other people on the inside can speak up about what's going on, or at minimum can at least publicly voice their immense displeasure at the thought of DW music being squandered. I can't imagine something as softball as just saying that would be hard for them to do.  

It doesn't take much thinking to imagine more than a handful of specific people with an online presence who must certainly be very upset at the thought. Why stay silent?  If ever there was a time to speak up, now would be it. This would be a great injustice to DW's legacy, not to mention the legacy of the whole band and brand.

Mutilating FFs by drastically cutting it down, yet expanding Unleash the Love to 2 full CDs of drek. Sounds like a perfectly logical and normal series of occurrences with this band. The band *and* the brand CAN DO BETTER than allowing this travesty to unfold.

I'm sure Dennis is looking down from above, and would like to kick the person responsible for trying to mutilate this set in the balls.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:35:06 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: September 27, 2020, 09:23:27 AM »

Great to hear from Jon and Howie this Sunday, albeit concerning. How anyone can question the past records and judgement of Alan Boyd, Mark L, Howie and Jon (not sure the level of involvement from Jon on this particular set) is be strange to me at least.
I'm just a fan advocating for my friends hard work which I know cannot be improved upon by anyone else. As always I remain independent of the machine.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1768 on: September 27, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »

Alright! Thanks for your hard work, Howie, and best wishes that it will get out the way it should be.

EDIT: After the commercial succes of P.O.B.'s re-release you'd expect them to be open for more Dennis material. IIRC they did indeed put his "Fallin' in love" on the lovesongs compilation soon after that and I thought POB's re-release was the reason for that.
No one of the Boys even seems to mention the commercial and critical succes of the re-relase, when they get asked about Dennis' work.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:38:08 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1769 on: September 27, 2020, 10:41:02 AM »

That's right folks, nearly an album's worth of Dennis '71 solo album-ish material is just ONE PART of a large set of amazing material.

Hopefully with Howie once again stepping in here to explain things,  the occasional skepticism and downplaying of calling for this set's release can stop. 

Thanks Howie for continuing to work on this and for explaining how to put this set in perspective. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: September 27, 2020, 12:43:55 PM »

Thank you Howie (and Jon) for the updates and additional info. Hope we get to hear it all.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: September 27, 2020, 12:45:42 PM »

Thanks for that list, All Summer Long. Some combination of any of these would be incredible! I'll be gutted if this doesn't come out.

For the record, I wouldn’t have been able to compile without jackjachman’s thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25249.0.html

I should have posted that a while ago.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: September 27, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »

Howie and Jon, it's always great to see you guys here--thanks for speaking up and bringing some new wrinkles to all of our Buddha brows...

And Joel G., I think I can speak for most of us in hoping that you will take careful note of the factual and interpretive updates provided here and will find a way to incoporate that into your next article.

I still think a complete track list of FEEL FLOWS as it was signed off on should be put into the hands of the rock press, but it appears that we will have to take a "two-step side-step" approach to that. Given that it appears we must proceed that way in terms laying this out for the media, one or two more tidbits about unreleased work from other band members might supply the needed grease to get a "full-court press" up to speed next month to keep the pathway open for a December FEEL FLOWS release. We still need to escalate the attention being paid to this, so the word to those of you active on social media is definitely "don't back down." Let's use every tidbit to any possible advantage...
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: September 27, 2020, 02:06:47 PM »

I'm reading all of this as the Dennis Solo material is fairly safe, but not so much the Dennis Wilson Beach Boys material if that makes sense.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: September 27, 2020, 02:12:39 PM »

I, for one, would never underestimate the lengths that those who are petty and jealous would do in order to preserve their egos.

Turns out Mike's used car salesman history revisionism (or if you are to believe it, perhaps simply the innocent ignorant historical revisionism by his record label) wasn't just wrong by four years, it was wrong by a *decade*. Never forget:

Good thing those stickers didn't last long, because there were more important stickers that soon took precedence:

Well it was the first solo album by a Beach Boy, the most envious, petty and litigious one.

It just wasn't the first solo album by any Beach Boy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx