gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:52:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 171 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel Flows box set  (Read 841516 times)
Cork On The Ocean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: September 22, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »

At this point, I can't imagine they haven't noticed that no matter what they post to social media, the comments that tend to get the most replies and the most likes/loves, are those in reference to the Feel Flows set.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: September 22, 2020, 10:05:05 AM »

It’s still there.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1727 on: September 22, 2020, 10:19:34 AM »

On Brian's FB post this morning of a picture of Smile tapes with the caption "SMiLE", Howie replied "FEEL FLOWS".

I don't understand it. In the last few days there have been posts on the Facebook page with the usual archival video clips and photos, but also a promotion for an ESQ giveaway contest and now a post about Smile.

It feels like there is an elephant in the room, along with an entire zoo if not the entirety of Noah's ark. Seriously, promoting another sweepstakes giveaway and now a Smile post while the one topic buzzing around the fanbase doesn't seem to be on the radar?

I don't understand it. What else can fans do at this point? It feels like nothing, except enter another contest and post hashtags.

Doesn't at all seem right at all. And I'm glad that we're all here still asking questions. Like we keep saying, this is the last major boxset this band will likely ever release, and there is silence all around.

Also, it appears that Howie's "FEEL FLOWS" comment is gone. Either they deleted it or he deleted it (at least, I can't find it).

I don't understand promoting giveaway contests and Smile during all this, but what can we do except ask questions and post hashtags.

At some point that's going to get tedious too, if it already hasn't.

It doesn't leave a positive feeling in the air, that's for sure.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: September 22, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »

On Brian's FB post this morning of a picture of Smile tapes with the caption "SMiLE", Howie replied "FEEL FLOWS".

I don't understand it. In the last few days there have been posts on the Facebook page with the usual archival video clips and photos, but also a promotion for an ESQ giveaway contest and now a post about Smile.

It feels like there is an elephant in the room, along with an entire zoo if not the entirety of Noah's ark. Seriously, promoting another sweepstakes giveaway and now a Smile post while the one topic buzzing around the fanbase doesn't seem to be on the radar?

I don't understand it. What else can fans do at this point? It feels like nothing, except enter another contest and post hashtags.

Doesn't at all seem right at all. And I'm glad that we're all here still asking questions. Like we keep saying, this is the last major boxset this band will likely ever release, and there is silence all around.

Also, it appears that Howie's "FEEL FLOWS" comment is gone. Either they deleted it or he deleted it (at least, I can't find it).

I don't understand promoting giveaway contests and Smile during all this, but what can we do except ask questions and post hashtags.

At some point that's going to get tedious too, if it already hasn't.

It doesn't leave a positive feeling in the air, that's for sure.

Keep in mind, if one zooms in on BW's photo of the Smile tapes, the "cool, cool water" tape can be seen, which of course connects back to Feel Flows via Sunflower.

I'd be hard-pressed to think that CCW tape being posted is an intentional wink wink to the fans, but I want to believe.

I think it must be very awkward for them to try to move forward posting random stuff and keeping a social media presence while ignoring the FF elephant in the room. I don't envy whoever is running those accounts.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:36:18 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: September 22, 2020, 10:56:26 AM »

I'm mentioning the FF box set again in my next music column, with the updates we all know about, including the new Wikipedia entries.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:58:08 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1730 on: September 22, 2020, 12:47:44 PM »

Brian posted the Surfer Girl album cover the other day on Instagram. Sounds crazy but here me out. If you zoom into the cover, who do you see? Mike Love? And Mike is fourth from left. And of course it needs four votes. So we can assume that they have three votes and need Mike the fourth. Now of course, Mike Love is an anagram of .... 300 words later ... and that's how Brian's social media team posting for the Surfer Girl anniversary explains the entire Feel Flows boxset situation.

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: September 24, 2020, 12:12:11 PM »

Just wanting to keep this discussion moving, so  looking back at the listing of songs that was posted a page or so back - that covers only the tracks widely known to exist - I have assumed all along that although the archives have already been mined fairly deeply for this era, there must be more tracks we don't know about, but which would probably not be the bulk of the set.

I'm thinking there's maybe 3 disc's worth of the 2 albums with alternates, a Cappella mixes, instrumental versions demos etc of known songs. Say 1 disc worth of previously unknown tracks, recordings, demos etc, and that leaves 1 disc for live material.

I must say that my first thought from Al's comment about the live show - I think he said a show he couldn't remember doing - was the Big Sur show from 1970 (one song of which was released on the Ode records various artists compilation). There's also the possibility it was the Central Park concert from 1971 or some other show altogether.

How do people see the track list being structured?

For me it'd be
Disc 1 - Sunflower + alternates
Disc 2 - Surf's Up + alternates
Disc 3 - [maybe] an earlier Sunflower or Add Some Music rejected album master + more outtakes
Disc 4 - session material + the rarest (prev. unbooted) tracks + demos
Disc 5 - 1 complete live show, disc fleshed out with rare and interesting other live material.

Which live shows are the best candidates for the live disc?

BTW - if you are someone who is in the know about the track listing, as much as we'd love you to spill the beans, obviously thrre's no actual expectation of that. Wild speculation is de rigueur here.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:17:11 PM by thetojo » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1732 on: September 24, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »

I have a strong feeling there are at least a few newly discovered songs on there. Purely speculation but my gut is telling me there is, and Lord knows it’s too big to ignore lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: September 24, 2020, 02:05:36 PM »

The petition has reached 1500 signatures.  Smiley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: September 24, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »

When (NOT "if") news finally breaks that this set is finally being released, they may need to change the title of the set to "Celebrate The News"  Cool i'm sure that great  song will be represented on here as well.

Ironic that the FF box set, named after a song with a title that refers to a Jack Riley lyric about ejaculation (not kidding, either, look it up!) has had the brakes pumped on it. Literally the song is about the wonderful joy of release, yet someone in this band wants to block the joy of fans for some surely demented BS reasons. Ego, ego, ego. In one way or another. May the party blocking this set out of pettiness have a flaccid existence for the rest of their days.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:31:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: September 24, 2020, 04:58:13 PM »

I still think it should be called "It's About Time"Smiley

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1736 on: September 24, 2020, 05:50:14 PM »

They wait any longer , they need to change it to “It’s about damn time” LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: September 24, 2020, 06:14:49 PM »

Maybe the set should be called Coitus Interruptus...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1738 on: September 24, 2020, 07:53:50 PM »

I was gonna make a Dennis joke but that’d be more appropriate for the ‘69 set.

Huh huh huh I said “69” huh huh huh 🤔

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: September 25, 2020, 06:13:40 PM »

I just hope that they do what they're damn sure of.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: September 25, 2020, 06:24:33 PM »

I just hope that they do what they're damn sure of.

I'm damn sure of the likely fact that Brian and Al are not behind this block (plenty of circumstantial evidence of such), and I'm damn sure that Mike's history of ego-driven, revisionist history hijinks such as delaying the Pet Sounds Sessions box are things that actually provably happened, and nobody should consider that history irrelevant when thinking about why the FF set is likely in its current state of hell. Cannot understand people bending themselves into pretzels to dismiss that history.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1741 on: September 25, 2020, 08:16:08 PM »

I think that was supposed to be a Tears in the Morning joke 😎

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: September 25, 2020, 10:52:16 PM »

I think that was supposed to be a Tears in the Morning joke 😎

Yeah I know Smiley I'm just venting as I'm bugged at our old Mike for jeopardizing the existence of some of the greatest music of the 20th century :/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: September 26, 2020, 10:49:00 AM »

Anyone know anything about Hawaii Song?

And Ol Movie = early version of Spark In The Dark or is it Funky Pretty?
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: September 26, 2020, 11:14:39 AM »

Hawaii clocks in at 4:05. First 3 minutes are a shaker out of one speaker and piano and strings. At 3 minute mark shaker stops and background oh and ahs are sung at end there are some words spoken and it ends with the words is that it.

Ol movie is 4:15 minutes long. Starts out with piano and strings from middle of cuddle up  at 0:38 second mark dennis adds ahs and ohs. At around 1:50 mark sounds like flutes come in. Then more dennis ohs and ahs until the end. Early cuddle up.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:20:35 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: September 26, 2020, 09:13:23 PM »

The amount of unreleased and alternate material assembled is major -- beautiful work from ALL members of the group. Everyone shines on this thing. It's Abbey Road-Beach Boys -- and would ABSOLUTELY be lauded for being just that.

The current assembly features a good 25 minutes of Dennis Wilson's POOPS/HUBBA HUBBA material -- to lose that would truly be a sin (and, obviously, a colossal sales deterrent.)
I know from my liners alone -- drawing from both new interviews and others culled from chats with the band on this material over the past 15 years -- the story of this era breathes new life into the brand.

Knowing from you all what EVERYBODY wants from this collection -- I really can't see how this set could be improved, if altered.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1746 on: September 26, 2020, 09:38:17 PM »

Thank you *so*much for the update.  The idea of what Dennis’s material must sound like is spinning around in my head right now. *If* you can say anything, is there anything from Brian that was recently discovered?

I sincerely hope that all opposing “issues” get resolved.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: September 26, 2020, 09:41:12 PM »

The amount of unreleased and alternate material assembled is major -- beautiful work from ALL members of the group. Everyone shines on this thing. It's Abbey Road-Beach Boys -- and would ABSOLUTELY be lauded for being just that.

The current assembly features a good 25 minutes of Dennis Wilson's POOPS/HUBBA HUBBA material -- to lose that would truly be a sin (and, obviously, a colossal sales deterrent.)
I know from my liners alone -- drawing from both new interviews and others culled from chats with the band on this material over the past 15 years -- the story of this era breathes new life into the brand.

Knowing from you all what EVERYBODY wants from this collection -- I really can't see how this set could be improved, if altered.

Wow. I am very grateful just to hear the description. To say that fans would love for this music to be released is an incredible understatement. Tantalizing doesn't even begin to describe.

And this being Record Store Day, everybody who is a fan of this band should be furious and make some noise that this set remains MIA. FF's absence is also screwing over vulnerable independent record stores during a very trying time, who could've sold many copies today. But I'm sure whoever is doing the blocking couldn't give two sh*ts about that whatsoever.

That Mike goes on silly TV shows to promote car-bound concerts, while ignoring the existence of this material, should make fans question what's happening here. Did anyone watch that recent interview? All Mike talked about is John Stamos and Mark freakin' McGrath. You know, the important stuff. The true geniuses associated with this band's legacy.

What a gutwrenching slap in the face it must be to the children of the late members of this band to witness someone in power who must be shortsighted enough to try and block/kill the set in this described incarnation. There is no way I can conceive that some of the kids aren't extraordinarily unhappy with what's going on. No way.

Nobody wants an altered version of this set.
Nobody wants this stuff awkwardly integrated with "new" material with "famous" guest stars.
Hell. No.

The demand is there for FF as described. Fans will be thrilled with the music, all of the bandmembers will get positive recognition and money. What an absolutely absurd situation this is.

Any potential other "new" material or desires to go a "different direction" with the brand can be completely satisfied by simply releasing other material in its own form on its own; FF does not need to be messed with. FF will simply positively raise awareness of the brand, and good reviews for the music of ALL members are a good thing for ALL members. For cryin out loud.

Release the set. Please. Money is ready!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:36:09 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: September 26, 2020, 10:38:10 PM »

"...to lose that would truly be a sin..."

"...I really can't see how this set could be improved, if altered."

This is painful. A fucking tragedy. Especially if the set is taken in a less expansive direction from the one already submitted for release. Just the thought of altering that, lessening that, denying it's exposure would be a very sad result. Perhaps a bunt instead of a grand slam. Thanks for always battling for what's good for the Beach Boys Howie.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: September 26, 2020, 10:53:48 PM »

Thanks man.
You'd think by now it'd be easier to do so.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 171 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx